Topix Chitown Regulars

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#79897 Feb 8, 2013
Walk your dogs from your place to mine, you will have forgotten all about z by then, and you will be tight as a drum!
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a shrink and antidepressants during/after my divorce... I never could really tell a difference with the meds, but at this point I'll try anything.
Others have suggested exercise. Considering my plans for tonight fell through (dinner with a female friend... not one who's so close that I would have been tempted to talk about myself all night), a nice long walk with the dogs may be in order.
Thank you....

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#79898 Feb 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
From Carolyn Hax's live chat:
In the in box recently (I've condensed a bit): Email #1 from "Bob" to two dozen people, friends and relatives alike: Help! Someone talk some sense into my wife, I just found out she's having an affair with my son's soccer coach. Email #2 about an hour later: Oops, that was dumb. Never mind, forget I said anything, don't forward my email or repeat this, we're going to handle this privately, sorry to bother you. Email #3 from "Mary" (Bob's wife) next day: "Well, we all make mistakes. But *I* won't go on about our marriage problems (which are many and long-standing) in public like *some* people."
Wow.
Ha! I gotta go read Hax.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#79899 Feb 8, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
I'm sure some, if not most or all, of you are sick of me and my problems. But since in this forum, you can choose to read or scroll by or judge me with a silly icon, too bad... here goes. Fair warning for those who DON'T want to hear it anymore.
I'm climbing the walls with anger and despair. Unless I have something to really concentrate on, my own mind is my worst enemy. Work helps a little but only if it's a problem to solve - the routine stuff doesn't keep my mind off of the whole situation with Jasper.
People keep saying this is normal, etc. but I haven't been through enough relationships ending to know firsthand. I can barely function, and can only sleep with sominex. I pulled myself through the initial pain last fall by staying busy, but my energy is spent and I don't feel like I have it in me to start all over again.
Of course, back then I was caught up in A's drama with the boyfriend (who is currently weaseling himself back into the picture, but I can't and won't consume myself with that... unless it's a needed distraction?). I can't spend all my time with my close friends dumping on them, and people keep asking me if I'm okay because I "look sad." I feel like I should be walking around dripping blood, how visible my hurt is.
I've taken a first step toward finding a professional to talk to and it feels good - as good as anything feels right now - to take action. But in the meantime, I'm miserable. And everywhere I look at home, it's memories. Different apartment but all the same stuff.
Anyway... I don't really know what I'm trying to accomplish by telling you guys this. It's just an outlet, I guess. And I really do feel bad for coming across so melodramatic. It's not like anyone died.
Talk therapy is a good start. Pouring out here is part of that.

When I split from my first husband after 7 years of marriage I signed up for a bunch of aerobic classes and worked myslf til I dropped. It pre-dated VCR or similar media, but being in the midst of other people and sweating my butt off helped.

I buried myself in grad school, spy thrillers and romanc novels so I didn't have to think.

I dated some real dogs, memorably the one who had spent the weekend and when I was going to make dinner asked me to make what I thought he was worth- the range was from peanut butter to steak.

I signed up to learn how to fence and joined a ski club both for the social club part and to learn to ski. Neither had anything to do with my ex.

One of the guys I did some work with saw me looking much the way you describe yourself and kindly asked what was wrong and offered to ( ahem) have something happen to my ex if I wanted. Being shocked and appalled will put a humorous spin on things or at least provide differeent fantasies.

FWIW the precipitating incident for the breakup was his flying from Chicago to West Palm to spend a weekend with a woman who was a good friend of ours who had moved down there. They got married about 1 1/2 years later.

Tincture of time, kid. It will get better. I promise.

#79900 Feb 8, 2013
So you spent the weekend with a dog and cooked him a steak because he was well hung?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#79901 Feb 8, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
They're not. It's one child that is the instigator. I'm sure s/he has seen or, even worse, been involved with something at home.
<quoted text>
I feel for that kid.:(

Location hidden

#79902 Feb 8, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I was kidding, but do you think I should? Ask Carolyn, I mean? I don't really know that there's any more "advice" anyone can give me. I'm looking for therapy to learn actual techniques for coping. Cognitive, yanno?
Never thought I'd end up a LW....
;)
\

She'll probably have some good insight, but the fact that you have a head shrinker lined up might make that moot!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#79903 Feb 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>\
She'll probably have some good insight, but the fact that you have a head shrinker lined up might make that moot!
I guess I have a week to decide. I won't be at work next Friday though so that might make it trickier (I dearly hope not to spend the afternoon in front of the computer AT HOME).

Miami, FL

#79904 Feb 8, 2013
RACE wrote:
Walk your dogs from your place to mine, you will have forgotten all about z by then, and you will be tight as a drum!
<quoted text>
How long would it take to walk 60 miles? I'm guessing on the distance, city to city.

Miami, FL

#79905 Feb 8, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk therapy is a good start. Pouring out here is part of that.

Tincture of time, kid. It will get better. I promise.
Thanks.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#79906 Feb 8, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
How long would it take to walk 60 miles? I'm guessing on the distance, city to city.
You could bike that!

Location hidden

#79907 Feb 8, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I have a week to decide. I won't be at work next Friday though so that might make it trickier (I dearly hope not to spend the afternoon in front of the computer AT HOME).
Next week's live chat is on Thursday!:)

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#79908 Feb 8, 2013
Also, don't drink alone and be careful with dem sleeping pills.

Miami, FL

#79909 Feb 8, 2013
"...there has been a schedule change for next week: I am chatting Thursday sted Friday. Yes, Thursday is Feb. 14. In honor of that, it will be ... an anti-Valentine's Day chat! Or, if you're sick of the hating, it can be an anti-anti-Valentine's Day chat! Or, if you couldn't care less about Valentine's Day, it will be just another chat! In short, it is anything you want it to be, except it won't be on Friday."

Carolyn, you are my HERO.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#79910 Feb 8, 2013
RACE wrote:
So you spent the weekend with a dog and cooked him a steak because he was well hung?
He wasn't worth steak and he didn't get steak.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#79911 Feb 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel for that kid.:(
Yeah, me too.

Miami, FL

#79912 Feb 8, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Also, don't drink alone and be careful with dem sleeping pills.
Careful with the pills - check. I only take one, and it works. I'm not sure if the dosage is supposed to be two.

Drinking alone - welllll.... it happens. But only a glass or two of wine, no more than that.

#79913 Feb 8, 2013
At a leisurely 3mph I am guessing about 20hrs depending upon traffic.
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>

#79914 Feb 8, 2013
The dogs have to keep up though.
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
You could bike that!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#79915 Feb 8, 2013
RACE wrote:
The dogs have to keep up though.
<quoted text>
Speaking of dogs, nice avatar pic.

Miami, FL

#79916 Feb 8, 2013
Okay, poll question. Serious question but not a serious topic.

Tonight: Netflix & takeout, or go out and see Identity Thief or Zero Dark Thirty?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min ritedownthemiddle 1,263,070
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min Mothra 54,345
Cheap Kitchen Cabinets Door For Sale UK 8 min drisa22 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min Dr Guru 194,453
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 70,142
abby7-30-15 2 hr mrs gladys kravitz 6
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr Mark 52,061
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages