|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You're taking a comment someone made about a law, and you're trying to attribute it solely to him.
Think of it like this, the SC has ruled that abortion is legal. So if I stand up and say "abortion is legal," does that make it MY policy?
You can just admit you were ignorant, or obtuse, and didn't realize Romney was only stating a legal policy of the supreme court. Instead you're trying to say "but but he's the one who formulated it into those specific words! That's all I was really TRYING to say!" You screwed up, you tried to slam Romney, and it blew up in your face. Now it's dripping with egg and you're trying to wipe it off.
I am attributing it to the person WHO ACTUALLY SAID IT. Why? Because he said it. And because that is how it is recognizable. And because the Supreme Court didn't rule that corporations are people. That, again, is one malcontent's characterization, and, as others in here have tried to explain to you, the ruling to which you keep alluding (inaccurately) has a very specific scope.

Your example further amplifies your obtusity (made-up, yes, but if you're going to make stuff up then so can I). The statement "abortion is legal" is similarly erroneous. It is legal with numerous restrictions, and the truth is much narrower than that generic statement, just like the truth of the ruling is much narrower than "corporations are people."

And BTW, if I am looking to someone to encapsulate the opinion of the Supreme Court, Romney would not be that someone. His proficiency lies elsewhere.

Did that chair hit you in the head? I am trying to find some reasonable explanation for your obtusity.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
My office has officially become resume/job search central. I don't know anyone doing actual work, including, management. We are all working on and comparing resumes.
Be discreet.

My company was aquired in early fall 2008, so I know were you are at.

Rumors are probably running wild, but ask HR if they are going to do a Reduction in Force (RIF) and if they will be offering outplacement services. That will have been negotiated as part of the aquisition. Try to be discreet in your job search just in case.

Our shop laid off people in waves. Everyone did not get RIF's at once.

LinkedIn is great but face to face/phone call to aquaintance networking is better. Industry groups like FruitFly Farmers of Florida ( or whatever field you are in) are excellent sources of information. Informational interviews are a good way to practice while not having to actually ask someone for a job. Professionals tend to get a kick out of making an intoduction or passing along industry gossip.

Read Bloomberg.com - its fre. WSJ is subscription only

Join LinkedIn groups. Post answers to comments. Headhunters look for people who are "out there " and assertive in their field, not just applicants.

If Sam offers substantive suggestions on job search or head hunting, pay attention.

I lent my outplacement stuff to my BIL who was RIF'd last year but can get it back to give you specific suggestions,if you want.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, she does have egg on her face, but not for the reasons you contend. When he made that statement, he wasn't making a statement about law:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =E2h8ujX6T0AXX
It is clear to anyone watching that video other than Sam or those with more than 2 brain cells that what he meant was that taxing corporations is really taxing people, because in the end corporations are owned by people. To say you are taxing a corporation and are not taxing people by doing so, is akin to my having to pay property tax on my boat and someone saying they are taxing my boat, not me. To the extent I have less money in my pocket than would otherwise have, but for a tax, means I am being taxed, regardless of how that tax is effected.
Someone, such as Sam, who would make a big fuss about this and in the process distort what he was actually saying has more in common, on an intellectual level with birthers or folks who claim Obama is a Muslim and folks who claim the bible says the anti-christ will be a Muslim (despite Islam not even being a religion at the time the bible was written), IMO. It's dishonest to claim he was saying that corporations are people in the sense she implies.
Democrats love to talk about this stuff (this and who Rush called a sl*t)... it distract from important issues and really gets their highly intelligent base, who lack the intellect to critically think and unbiased ability to question anything that is spewed by their party, all fired up.
She's not a democrat tho. If she is not, it's only in name.
Well then he was just plain wrong unless he was speaking strictly about S Corporations. Even then they are taxed by the percentage ownership and get the corporate deductions (percentage to their share). It's not the same as taxing individuals. If you have a majority share in the corporation, and you work for that corporation, you draw a salary and you are personally taxed and you file your individual tax return. Corporations file a corporate tax return and it is a corporate liability -- the entity -- not the individual's liability.

Now if you file a
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Be discreet.
Rumors are probably running wild, but ask HR if they are going to do a Reduction in Force (RIF) and if they will be offering outplacement services. That will have been negotiated as part of the aquisition. Try to be discreet in your job search just in case.
LinkedIn is great but face to face/phone call to aquaintance networking is better. Industry groups like FruitFly Farmers of Florida ( or whatever field you are in) are excellent sources of information. Informational interviews are a good way to practice while not having to actually ask someone for a job. Professionals tend to get a kick out of making an intoduction or passing along industry gossip.
Join LinkedIn groups. Post answers to comments. Headhunters look for people who are "out there " and assertive in their field, not just applicants.
If Sam offers substantive suggestions on job search or head hunting, pay attention.
I lent my outplacement stuff to my BIL who was RIF'd last year but can get it back to give you specific suggestions,if you want.
My two pieces of advice which might seem obvious but bear repeating are:

1) Trust no one in your office with whom you do not have a close personal relationship. This is the epitome of "every man for himself" time. People might seem like they are being helpful, but be skeptical, they are likely very interested in getting a leg up on their future competition for a job and not so interested in actually helping you.

2) As soon as you can, go on a couple of interviews for jobs you don't care about for practice so that when a job you do want presents itself, you are ready.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Hope you get a good severance package! What if they ask you to relocate to the main hive?
<quoted text>
Not relocating anywhere. I have a house and a wife with a good job. Moving is an extreme last resort.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then he was just plain wrong unless he was speaking strictly about S Corporations. Even then they are taxed by the percentage ownership and get the corporate deductions (percentage to their share). It's not the same as taxing individuals. If you have a majority share in the corporation, and you work for that corporation, you draw a salary and you are personally taxed and you file your individual tax return. Corporations file a corporate tax return and it is a corporate liability -- the entity -- not the individual's liability.
Now if you file a
The point he was making is that ultimately any corporation is owned by people, and this is not true just in the case of S-Corps. It's not that complicated.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Be discreet.
No need to be discreet. The new owners know what we are doing. This was brought up during the Q&A session with the reps that flew in on Monday. The current HR department has a new official objective of finding soft landings for as many people as possible. They're looking at bringing recruiters in. They are having resume reviews, interview workshops, professional photos for linked in. Someone in HR just got a list of job IT openings from a contact of hers at another company. She forwarded it to my boss's boss, who in turned forwarded it to all of us. Hell, I talked to a friend of mine and although they have no openings that are a match for me, they do have one that is a match for someone else in the department and I sent him the info.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>No need to be discreet. The new owners know what we are doing. This was brought up during the Q&A session with the reps that flew in on Monday. The current HR department has a new official objective of finding soft landings for as many people as possible. They're looking at bringing recruiters in. They are having resume reviews, interview workshops, professional photos for linked in. Someone in HR just got a list of job IT openings from a contact of hers at another company. She forwarded it to my boss's boss, who in turned forwarded it to all of us. Hell, I talked to a friend of mine and although they have no openings that are a match for me, they do have one that is a match for someone else in the department and I sent him the info.
Last things first. It is good that you pssed along the job lead you couldn't use to your buddy. That is banking brownie points or karma: very necessary things at this point.

Have they given you a time frame for layoffs?

Attend those FruitFly Farmers IT Networking sessions and exchange business cards. See if current company will pay dues to FruitFly Farmers of FL IT club.

Regardless , be discreet.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

2/2/13
Mister Tonka wrote:
So we recently had a iscussion about how soon is too soon to facebook friend a person you're dating.
This is a post from someone I went to HS with. Disclaimer: I was never FRIENDS with this dude. He sen me a FB request and I accepted, but we have not traded a single message.
Names and places have been Abbyized to protect the innocent.
Had the most awesome first date EVER with "Gertrude Higgins" not only did we look awesome together but "The Donkey Show" performance at "The Tijuana Center" was the most AMAZING show we had ever seen. And yes you all I like "Gertrude" ALOT!!! Check out the website for "The Donkey Show" and make sure you all go at least ONCE in you lives when it comes to you all check out show dates and places and more info at " donkeyshow.com "
2/4/13
Mister Tonka wrote:
More fb posting from old classmate.
Had the most amazing weekend with the most beautiful and amazing woman EVER Gertrude Higgins... Aaaaaahhhhh. Heads in the clouds and I don't wanna come down missing her already!!!
2/5/13
In a relationship with Gertrud Higgins

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Have they given you a time frame for layoffs?
They have not even said out loud that there would be layoffs. Its well understood by both parties, but the 2 reps from new owners gave very non-committal answers. Only thing they said was that they are taking 30 days to assess what we have vs what functions they could consolidate and come up with a game plan. But no word on a time frame for implementing their transition plan

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Attend those FruitFly Farmers IT Networking sessions and exchange business cards. See if current company will pay dues to FruitFly Farmers of FL IT club.
By the way, I have no clue what you are talking about. Nevr heard of any such thing and 6 pages into a google search and everything is about actual fruit flies. No IT relation.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Industry groups like FruitFly Farmers of Florida ( or whatever field you are in) are excellent sources of information.
"( or whatever field you are in)"

I just saw that. You had me confused as hell with the other post.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>By the way, I have no clue what you are talking about. Nevr heard of any such thing and 6 pages into a google search and everything is about actual fruit flies. No IT relation.
Most of us are pretty non-communicative about what we do in real life. I genraly knew you were in IT. I was referring to industry groups or associations where people who have similar interets get together for profesional reasons. Future FruitFly Farmers sounded less ...stuffy.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>They have not even said out loud that there would be layoffs. Its well understood by both parties, but the 2 reps from new owners gave very non-committal answers. Only thing they said was that they are taking 30 days to assess what we have vs what functions they could consolidate and come up with a game plan. But no word on a time frame for implementing their transition plan
If you are interested in staying, then now is the time to research their hierarchy and suck up to managers a couple levels abouve you. In my old shop, they kept the real senior guys presumably because it would have been too expensive to pay their severance package, but made them sufficiently uncomfortable that several quit within a year. we knew who would be taking over our functional unit. At least two guys made sure their accomplishments and involvement with current important projects were very well publicized. They were retained. Two of them are still there.

I have a niche skill. The new people had niche people on staff so I was automatically redundant. From what I have heard from my buddies who stayed, the corporate culture change was sufficiently dramatic that I probably dodged a bullet even though I did not think so at the time.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
2/2/13
<quoted text>
2/4/13
<quoted text>
2/5/13
gag

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
gag
She's got her shiatt on lockdown so I can't see if she has changed her status to match.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>2/2/13

2/4/13
Mister Tonka wrote, "More fb posting from old classmate.
Had the most amazing weekend with the most beautiful and amazing woman EVER Gertrude Higgins... Aaaaaahhhhh. Heads in the clouds and I don't wanna come down missing her already!!!"

2/5/13
And this dude is your age?*barf*

Some people should not be allowed on FB.

One of my friends just called out her aunts on FB for not informing her that her paternal grandmother died (her father died last fall). She went on about how they are deplorable human beings and she hopes that when they die God forgives them for all of the evil that they do because she probably won't. There was a lot more. To top it off, she tagged everyone in her family.

Someone complained to FB and the post was pulled. She got more upset and reposted it after yelling about freedom of speech.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>She's got her shiatt on lockdown so I can't see if she has changed her status to match.
The whole thing is pathetic. It was like what3 days from first date to "in a relationship?" Dude is freaky scary "special."

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
And this dude is your age?*barf*
Some people should not be allowed on FB.
One of my friends just called out her aunts on FB for not informing her that her paternal grandmother died (her father died last fall). She went on about how they are deplorable human beings and she hopes that when they die God forgives them for all of the evil that they do because she probably won't. There was a lot more. To top it off, she tagged everyone in her family.
Someone complained to FB and the post was pulled. She got more upset and reposted it after yelling about freedom of speech.
Wow.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,095,759
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 21 min KiMare 49,257
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 25 min boundary painter 1,239
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 28 min boundary painter 285
Amy 8-21 30 min boundary painter 9
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 33 min JOEL 68,836
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 37 min boundary painter 551
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 52 min Learn to Read 176,771

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago