Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>

She'd kinda dropped off the radar .
Great euphemism.

( and I should read the posts before commenting.)
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Then maybe you should try it sometime?
It was a Supreme Court ruling
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2...
Not arguing that I agree with it, just want you to get your facts straight. Dumbass.
It was not a Supreme Court ruling, dum dum. It's the headline used by the author of the article in The Atlantic you found when you Googled "corporations are people supreme court" and selected the first non-wiki result. The "corporations are people" language is not from the Supreme Court, it is the columnists bitter assessment/interpretation which is related to the statement "at least as far as the First Amendment is concerned."

Mitt Romney actually said the words "Corporations are people." No interpretation. You can go to YouTube and watch/listen to him actually say the words.

I'd call you a parrot but parrots think more than you do.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Last year, tried to go out to a number of "nice" restaurants. 7:30 at night (I had to work late) and EVERY place still had a wait time of over an hour and a half! Ended up settling on Bakers Square where the wait time was only 20 minutes. How romantic!
Baker's Square let you bring your blow-up doll?

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, Jammers, what to tell ya. I understand Valentine's Day holds meaning for women and can be hard for someone facing one single for the first time in a long time, but it's just a Hallmark Holiday. You gonna go through this again when Sweetest Day rolls around?

Don't wanna belittle your heartache, but don't want to validate it either. Valentines day sucks! Last year, tried to go out to a number of "nice" restaurants. 7:30 at night (I had to work late) and EVERY place still had a wait time of over an hour and a half! Ended up settling on Bakers Square where the wait time was only 20 minutes. How romantic!

Get together with your single girlfriends, drink plenty of wine and have a tickle fight in your underwear, and burn a man in effigy.

The longer you dwell on your sorrow, the longer it will take to move on. Embrace being single! ENJOY being single!
Sometimes I love you. This is one of those times.
;)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
It's the headline used by the author of the article in The Atlantic you found when you Googled "corporations are people supreme court" and selected the first non-wiki result. The "corporations are people" language is not from the Supreme Court, it is the columnists bitter assessment/interpretation which is related to the statement "at least as far as the First Amendment is concerned."
It's true, though. Cross-referenced and fact-checked after I heard a progressive radio host say the same thing several months ago.

Are they wrong? Are you defending the Supreme Court?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes I love you. This is one of those times.
;)
Woo hoo! Still got it! Take THAT, Sam!

Thanks baby! Sometimes I love you too! Wanna exchange naughty pics?!

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
It's true, though. Cross-referenced and fact-checked after I heard a progressive radio host say the same thing several months ago.
Are they wrong? Are you defending the Supreme Court?
How about a case name (like Roe v Wade, Brown v Board of Education, Dred Scott v Sandford,etc.) to support your assertation???

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
How about a case name (like Roe v Wade, Brown v Board of Education, Dred Scott v Sandford,etc.) to support your assertation???
Buckley v. Valeo

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Whether or not you like Wikipedia, they do have a good description of Corporations as people that I feel is accurate:

Corporate personhood is the legal concept that a corporation may sue and be sued in court in the same way as natural persons or unincorporated associations of persons. This doctrine in turn forms the basis for legal recognition that corporations, as groups of people, may hold and exercise certain rights under the common law and the U.S. Constitution. The doctrine does not hold that corporations are "people" in the most common usage of the word, nor does it grant to corporations all of the rights of citizens.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

For Mitt to say corporations are people, I believe he is out of touch with most Americans.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

People, can we follow the bouncing ball? Angela said the only way to punish corporations is lawsuits. I said (tongue-in-cheek) that, no, since corporations are people (according to Mitt Romney and his famous quote), they have consciences and will change on their own. He literally said the words and I was using that to play with Angela.

The Supreme Court did not say that. And I don't care. What they ruled is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with the original point. Unless, of course, you're an unhappy douche who just likes to pick fights since otherwise no one would engage you.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Buckley v. Valeo
Admittedly I just woke up, but I just don't see anywhere in this decision (in 1976 by the way) where the SC ruled that Mitt Romney is right and corporations are people. Did you even read the decision?

The only thing I see about corporations is Congress can not ban independent expenditures by corporations. Still doesn't say corporations are people. Especially in the way Romney was trying to say it.

Fail

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
People, can we follow the bouncing ball? Angela said the only way to punish corporations is lawsuits. I said (tongue-in-cheek) that, no, since corporations are people (according to Mitt Romney and his famous quote), they have consciences and will change on their own. He literally said the words and I was using that to play with Angela.
The Supreme Court did not say that. And I don't care. What they ruled is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with the original point. Unless, of course, you're an unhappy douche who just likes to pick fights since otherwise no one would engage you.
I got what you were doing/saying, but you know the dog was foaming at the mouth, so I decided to engage him...silly me. Turns out even his "fact checked" info is wrong. Surprise, surprise, surprise!

“reign in blood”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
You are trying to attribute that statement to Romney when in actuallity it's an interpretation of a supreme court ruling going back thirty years! Wow, you're a ...

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You are trying to attribute that statement to Romney when in actuallity it's an interpretation of a supreme court ruling going back thirty years! Wow, you're a ...
Did you read what I posted? That's the only time/way a corporation is considered a "person".

Are you in an extra feisty mood today?
He who knows

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

The status of corporations as legal persona is set by statute by the states.In general this pertains to the right to sue and be sued in the corporate name which protects the individual officers and directors from personal liability. It is not a Federal issue per se.

For an example that a corporation can be subject to many of the same penalties as a natural person, please see the Enron/ Arthur Anderson proceedings where the corporations were subject to criminal penalties.

If you want to learn about the personal responsibility of the people who run a corporation, you might search for things that "pierce the corporate veil", statutes and case law you will find on the state level( with the possible exception of Louisiana).

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I am attributing the statement to him BECAUSE HE ACTUALLY SAID THOSE WORDS. It's called a QUOTE, you syphilitic chimp. I was not alluding to the bitter paraphrasing of a malcontent who was trying to put words in the Supreme Court's mouth.

Speaking of paraphrasing, I will borrow from one of my favorite movies of all time, a snippet of which I saw last night:

Why are you being so obtuse? Is it deliberate?
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I got what you were doing/saying, but you know the dog was foaming at the mouth, so I decided to engage him...silly me. Turns out even his "fact checked" info is wrong. Surprise, surprise, surprise!
Wait. A. Minute. Are you trying to tell me that information cited by Mutt didn't pan out? You're pulling my leg. That's just crazy talk. You'd better check your sources again.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 78,701 - 78,720 of97,515
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

67 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,078,857
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 min Curiosityforever 48,856
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 29 min LRS 174,495
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 29 min ritedownthemiddle 45,764
Amy 7-22 45 min Julie 14
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr danetoo 67,890
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr nuguyntwn 3,827
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 4:15PM CDT

•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••