Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

I ran the "when I was your age" line on my kid today. Mom forgot her cell phone at home. I sent him out to give it to her, but she drove off before she saw him. He could not believe she left it. I was like "Dude, WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE.....we didn't have phones to take everywhere with us. We had to stand in the kitchen if we wanted to talk to someone"

Next, I'll blow his mind by telling him phones didn't used to have games on them
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
I ran the "when I was your age" line on my kid today. Mom forgot her cell phone at home. I sent him out to give it to her, but she drove off before she saw him. He could not believe she left it. I was like "Dude, WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE.....we didn't have phones to take everywhere with us. We had to stand in the kitchen if we wanted to talk to someone"
Next, I'll blow his mind by telling him phones didn't used to have games on them
Be gentle on the little fella'.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Have you told him about phones being attached to the wall? Rotary dial?

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Have you told him about phones being attached to the wall? Rotary dial?
I remember my grandmother trying to explain party lines and phone numbers with letters in them to me. I'm sure I looked at her like she was crazy.

She said that her father often commented on how amazing his life was. When he was born, automobiles and televisions hadn't been invented (at least not as we know them and not mass produced), but before he died he got to see a man walk on the moon.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a Girl Scout lesder. About 15 years ago we had a sleep over in a cabin that had a rotary dial phone. Pre- cell phone for kids era.It was a lot of the girls first time away from home so we let them call home to say goodnight. One of the girls looked at the wall mounted phone with the dial and asked what she was supposed to do next.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

PEllen wrote:
One of the girls looked at the wall mounted phone with the dial and asked what she was supposed to do next.
Hah. My cell phone has a lock pattern on it. I showed my wife several times what the pattern is to unlock it. It is about the simplest thin I could come up with. She NEVER remembers it and any time she needs my phone for any reason, I have to unlock it for her. My kid saw me do it ONCE and now he knows how to do it. If I don't keep my eye on him, I find him in the next room with my phone playing games.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

I dont bother with a lock. All the info is on the memory stick anyway, which is easily read on any pc. Also, if I do lose it, the finder could not call anyone to let them know it was found.

I have found a few phones, and always called the most recent# and told them to get a hold of the owner.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Hah. My cell phone has a lock pattern on it. I showed my wife several times what the pattern is to unlock it. It is about the simplest thin I could come up with. She NEVER remembers it and any time she needs my phone for any reason, I have to unlock it for her. My kid saw me do it ONCE and now he knows how to do it. If I don't keep my eye on him, I find him in the next room with my phone playing games.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

I lock my phone. If I lose it, I'll get on "find my iphone" and track it down. But I'm paranoid about privacy and have trust issues, so I'd never leave my phone unlocked. That's like leaving my email and Facebook open to whoever walks by.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

RACE wrote:
I dont bother with a lock. All the info is on the memory stick anyway, which is easily read on any pc. Also, if I do lose it, the finder could not call anyone to let them know it was found.
I have found a few phones, and always called the most recent# and told them to get a hold of the owner.
<quoted text>
The couple times I have misplaced my phone, I always call it right away using someone else's phone. Both times, no one had picked it up yet and I heard it ringing, but I would hope that if someone had, they would answer the phone and I could get it back that way.

I have to lock my phone because I pocket dial people if I don't. It is usually my dad, who lives in CA - 3 hours earlier than me. He doesn't like getting calls at 4 am (it has happened several times and he always answers because he is the person I would call if something happened to his parents or my kids).

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
My email address is displayed on my lock screen. All of my data is stored on the internal memory or sync'd with my google account.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

I have my phone locks when I haven't used it for 15 seconds. I can change that, but it works for me. All I have is a ring I swipe up to unlock it. I could have the lock with the code on it, but why? There's nothing on my phone that I'm paranoid about someone seeing since basically the only thing other people could get at is my contacts and my text messages and they can call people.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Toj wrote:
I have my phone locks when I haven't used it for 15 seconds. I can change that, but it works for me. All I have is a ring I swipe up to unlock it. I could have the lock with the code on it, but why? There's nothing on my phone that I'm paranoid about someone seeing since basically the only thing other people could get at is my contacts and my text messages and they can call people.
Do you get email on your phone? Any correspondence with the bank? One could go to your bank's website and say you forgot your password and have a reset emailed to you. Boom. He can log into your bank account online. Identity theft anyone?

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Do you get email on your phone? Any correspondence with the bank? One could go to your bank's website and say you forgot your password and have a reset emailed to you. Boom. He can log into your bank account online. Identity theft anyone?
Yeah, all this.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Carolyn's live chat has started

http://live.washingtonpost.com/carolyn-hax-li...

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Do you get email on your phone? Any correspondence with the bank? One could go to your bank's website and say you forgot your password and have a reset emailed to you. Boom. He can log into your bank account online. Identity theft anyone?
Yes -- I have email on my phone but you need a password to open it. No correspondence with the bank on text -- correspondence with the bank is done on their secure banking site. They have bank email right there for individuals.

If I forgot my password for my bank account, you need to have not only my social security and you have to answer the security questions correctly.

I'm impressed with the security at my bank (although they rip you off on so many service fees). I once got a call from the fraud department and they told me someone had my card. I didn't think so. Turned out I didn't have it. They could tell by the purchases.
Sam I Am

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have not seen it, look on YouTube for Louis CK phone. He has a bit about how a phone used to be this thing that was in a room in your house. And you hated people who had phone numbers with 0s and 9s. Very funny.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Weekend plans, anyone?

Tonight: Errands and cleaning!(and skipping two happy hours to do it):(

Tomorrow: My mom is coming over to see my new place. I haven't seen her since some time in early November, I think. Then we're going shopping.

Sat. night - date night. I'm thinking of getting us tickets to Tornado Alley, some storm chaser thing at the IMax. Nick loves that stuff.

Sun.- meeting the girls at Mall of America at 11 a.m. to shop, eat, and drink, while their men watch the babies.

Is it just me, or does starting the SB at 5:30 seem late? I think it should start around 2 or 3.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend plans, anyone?
Tonight: Errands and cleaning!(and skipping two happy hours to do it):(
Tomorrow: My mom is coming over to see my new place. I haven't seen her since some time in early November, I think. Then we're going shopping.
Sat. night - date night. I'm thinking of getting us tickets to Tornado Alley, some storm chaser thing at the IMax. Nick loves that stuff.
Sun.- meeting the girls at Mall of America at 11 a.m. to shop, eat, and drink, while their men watch the babies.
Is it just me, or does starting the SB at 5:30 seem late? I think it should start around 2 or 3.
I saw Tornado Alley at the IMax at the museum of science and industry this summer in Chicago. I thought it was only okay. I actually fell asleep during it, lol, which I never do for things like that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw Tornado Alley at the IMax at the museum of science and industry this summer in Chicago. I thought it was only okay. I actually fell asleep during it, lol, which I never do for things like that.
I just shared this with Nick and now we're not going!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend plans, anyone?
Tonight: Don't know except that I'm not cooking dinner.

Sat: Disney on Ice with the girls and the MIL. It's a birthday gift for Nunu, who turns 5 in a week or so. So looking forward to my butt falling asleep in the stadium chair.

Sun: Shopping for the schwag for Nunu's party and the usual errands.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 78,421 - 78,440 of97,435
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

77 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Lily Boca Raton Fl 1,072,285
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,626
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 21 min Washington DC 45,490
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr andet1987 395
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 2 hr Dems Destroy Democracy 1,829
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 2 hr Obama Sucks 7,562
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr KiMare 48,690
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••