“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#79464 Jan 31, 2013
I have spent most of the day emailing and calling people to let them know that the former Recording Secretary of our Republican Organization died yesterday and informing them of the visitation arrangements. She coordinated the poll clerks in town and was the secretary for the River Watch in addition to sitting on several other boards over the years.

This is going to be crazy on Sunday. She gave so much of herself to our community. I want this many non-family members to mourn my passing and say nice things about me when I'm 90.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#79465 Jan 31, 2013
Well, I guess curling is a spectator safe sport, unless you consider the fact that someone my die of boredom watching a rock slide across ice.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#79466 Jan 31, 2013
RACE wrote:
Well, I guess curling is a spectator safe sport, unless you consider the fact that someone my die of boredom watching a rock slide across ice.
Word.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#79467 Jan 31, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
when you step in it, the thing to do is to wipe it off and then move on
Doin that much?
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#79468 Jan 31, 2013
RACE wrote:
If they use a metal handled broom would that be a curling iron?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#79469 Jan 31, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
The broom dudes are participants, not spectators.
The broom dudes could be sweeping so furiously that the broom flies out of their hands and flies into the spectators, possibly impaling someone.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#79470 Jan 31, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
I have spent most of the day emailing and calling people to let them know that the former Recording Secretary of our Republican Organization died yesterday and informing them of the visitation arrangements. She coordinated the poll clerks in town and was the secretary for the River Watch in addition to sitting on several other boards over the years.
This is going to be crazy on Sunday. She gave so much of herself to our community. I want this many non-family members to mourn my passing and say nice things about me when I'm 90.
Those had to be difficult calls to make. I'm sure that wiped you out.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#79471 Jan 31, 2013
RACE wrote:
Ha!

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#79472 Jan 31, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
that is amazing... in a good way.

i was just thinking the other day about who might show up at my gramma's funeral, and i'm hard pressed to come up with more than about a dozen. i guess that's what happens when you out-live all your "peers" and dont make new friends...

someone suggested just having a service at the funeral home... the funeral director we're going to use isn't tied to one specific funeral home, so that won't work. plus, gramma would come back and haunt each and every one of us if we didn't have a catholic funeral mass for her.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#79473 Feb 1, 2013
Former NYC Mayor Ed Koch died this morning. That is all the news is covering so far and I have a feeling that's all they are going to talk about today.

He, like my friend Jane who died on Wednesday, didn't care about affiliation. He looked at what people actually stood for and held them accountable. We need more leaders like that.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#79474 Feb 1, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>that is amazing... in a good way.

i was just thinking the other day about who might show up at my gramma's funeral, and i'm hard pressed to come up with more than about a dozen. i guess that's what happens when you out-live all your "peers" and dont make new friends...

someone suggested just having a service at the funeral home... the funeral director we're going to use isn't tied to one specific funeral home, so that won't work. plus, gramma would come back and haunt each and every one of us if we didn't have a catholic funeral mass for her.
People will come to visiting hours to support you and your family, even if they didn't know your Gramma. As for the funeral, does/did she go to a church regularly? Some Catholic Churches are a pain about performing any kind of service for non-parishioners. You may want to look into that now or see if the priest is willing to visit her (they all make home visits).
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#79475 Feb 1, 2013

Neda, stay with me!

#79477 Feb 1, 2013
Ding,ding,ding!!!
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
The broom dudes could be sweeping so furiously that the broom flies out of their hands and flies into the spectators, possibly impaling someone.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#79478 Feb 1, 2013
I ran the "when I was your age" line on my kid today. Mom forgot her cell phone at home. I sent him out to give it to her, but she drove off before she saw him. He could not believe she left it. I was like "Dude, WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE.....we didn't have phones to take everywhere with us. We had to stand in the kitchen if we wanted to talk to someone"

Next, I'll blow his mind by telling him phones didn't used to have games on them
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#79479 Feb 1, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I ran the "when I was your age" line on my kid today. Mom forgot her cell phone at home. I sent him out to give it to her, but she drove off before she saw him. He could not believe she left it. I was like "Dude, WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE.....we didn't have phones to take everywhere with us. We had to stand in the kitchen if we wanted to talk to someone"
Next, I'll blow his mind by telling him phones didn't used to have games on them
Be gentle on the little fella'.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#79480 Feb 1, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Have you told him about phones being attached to the wall? Rotary dial?

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#79481 Feb 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Have you told him about phones being attached to the wall? Rotary dial?
I remember my grandmother trying to explain party lines and phone numbers with letters in them to me. I'm sure I looked at her like she was crazy.

She said that her father often commented on how amazing his life was. When he was born, automobiles and televisions hadn't been invented (at least not as we know them and not mass produced), but before he died he got to see a man walk on the moon.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#79482 Feb 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you told him about phones being attached to the wall? Rotary dial?
I was a Girl Scout lesder. About 15 years ago we had a sleep over in a cabin that had a rotary dial phone. Pre- cell phone for kids era.It was a lot of the girls first time away from home so we let them call home to say goodnight. One of the girls looked at the wall mounted phone with the dial and asked what she was supposed to do next.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#79483 Feb 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
One of the girls looked at the wall mounted phone with the dial and asked what she was supposed to do next.
Hah. My cell phone has a lock pattern on it. I showed my wife several times what the pattern is to unlock it. It is about the simplest thin I could come up with. She NEVER remembers it and any time she needs my phone for any reason, I have to unlock it for her. My kid saw me do it ONCE and now he knows how to do it. If I don't keep my eye on him, I find him in the next room with my phone playing games.

Neda, stay with me!

#79484 Feb 1, 2013
I dont bother with a lock. All the info is on the memory stick anyway, which is easily read on any pc. Also, if I do lose it, the finder could not call anyone to let them know it was found.

I have found a few phones, and always called the most recent# and told them to get a hold of the owner.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Hah. My cell phone has a lock pattern on it. I showed my wife several times what the pattern is to unlock it. It is about the simplest thin I could come up with. She NEVER remembers it and any time she needs my phone for any reason, I have to unlock it for her. My kid saw me do it ONCE and now he knows how to do it. If I don't keep my eye on him, I find him in the next room with my phone playing games.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min alpha gamma 10 1,129,445
Abby 10-31 9 min loose cannon 8
Amy 10-31 18 min edogxxx 2
Abby 10-30 24 min edogxxx 22
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 47 min Religionthebiglie 50,787
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr STEFANO COLONNA 70,159
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr grave digger 47,599
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Learn to Read 179,685

High Wind Warning for Cook County was issued at October 31 at 9:05AM CDT

Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]