Topix Chitown Regulars
Sam I Am

Chicago, IL

#79493 Feb 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you told him about phones being attached to the wall? Rotary dial?
If you have not seen it, look on YouTube for Louis CK phone. He has a bit about how a phone used to be this thing that was in a room in your house. And you hated people who had phone numbers with 0s and 9s. Very funny.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#79494 Feb 1, 2013
Weekend plans, anyone?

Tonight: Errands and cleaning!(and skipping two happy hours to do it):(

Tomorrow: My mom is coming over to see my new place. I haven't seen her since some time in early November, I think. Then we're going shopping.

Sat. night - date night. I'm thinking of getting us tickets to Tornado Alley, some storm chaser thing at the IMax. Nick loves that stuff.

Sun.- meeting the girls at Mall of America at 11 a.m. to shop, eat, and drink, while their men watch the babies.

Is it just me, or does starting the SB at 5:30 seem late? I think it should start around 2 or 3.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#79495 Feb 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend plans, anyone?
Tomorrow: My mom is coming over to see my new place. I haven't seen her since some time in early November, I think. Then we're going shopping.
Sat. night - date night. I'm thinking of getting us tickets to Tornado Alley, some storm chaser thing at the IMax. Nick loves that stuff.
Sun.- meeting the girls at Mall of America at 11 a.m. to shop, eat, and drink, while their men watch the babies.
Is it just me, or does starting the SB at 5:30 seem late? I think it should start around 2 or 3.
I saw Tornado Alley at the IMax at the museum of science and industry this summer in Chicago. I thought it was only okay. I actually fell asleep during it, lol, which I never do for things like that.

Location hidden

#79496 Feb 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw Tornado Alley at the IMax at the museum of science and industry this summer in Chicago. I thought it was only okay. I actually fell asleep during it, lol, which I never do for things like that.
I just shared this with Nick and now we're not going!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#79497 Feb 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend plans, anyone?
Tonight: Don't know except that I'm not cooking dinner.

Sat: Disney on Ice with the girls and the MIL. It's a birthday gift for Nunu, who turns 5 in a week or so. So looking forward to my butt falling asleep in the stadium chair.

Sun: Shopping for the schwag for Nunu's party and the usual errands.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#79498 Feb 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you told him about phones being attached to the wall? Rotary dial?
I was going to say this!! bac in the late 80s, hardly the modern era, but not the dark ages either, a friend had to call home for sometihgn. got to the phone and stoped mid-air... didn't know how to work a rotary phone!
Sam I Am

Chicago, IL

#79499 Feb 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend plans, anyone?
Tonight is staying in with a fire, sushi and the bf. Tomorrow is errands, then dinner and watching Michigan-Indiana. Sunday is brunch, a little work, then the Super Bowl at a bar where my friend's bf rented a room for us.

Have you seen an IMax movie before? I have not. Is it worth it?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#79500 Feb 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I just shared this with Nick and now we're not going!
Yeah, I would pass, honestly.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#79501 Feb 1, 2013
I remember how cool it was in college when my cordless home phone had such good range we could take it to the neighbors while we hung out.

Schaumburg, IL

#79502 Feb 1, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
People will come to visiting hours to support you and your family, even if they didn't know your Gramma. As for the funeral, does/did she go to a church regularly? Some Catholic Churches are a pain about performing any kind of service for non-parishioners. You may want to look into that now or see if the priest is willing to visit her (they all make home visits).
We decided to move it to my mom's church... she does breavement and lots of other stuff there, so there's no issue on the church side. my gramma has simply out-lived her friends, so there is less reason to have it at her home church than at ours.

we were joking a bit the other day about waht time to have the service adn to have a visitiation immediately before hand. my mom said that the school people get their noses out of joint because the kids can't use the parking lot if htere's a funeral. i responded that J and A work there, B lives across teh street, hubby & I can pick her & my dad up, so there's fewer enough cars that street parking is enough.:-)~ most of the "guests" will be my mom's core group of friends. i seriously doubt grammas brother (from NC) and sister (from CA) will be able to make teh trips...

Schaumburg, IL

#79503 Feb 1, 2013
PS, Jess... She's been in hospice care for about a week and a half now... she had a bad weeked with 2 unrelated trips to teh ER. at teh follow up appointmetn iwth her regular doc, he asked a bunch of questions that lead him to suggest that its time. "lucky" (?) for us, she agreed, so that's a weight off my mom's shoulders.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#79504 Feb 1, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
Have you seen an IMax movie before? I have not. Is it worth it?
It all depends on what kind of IMAx you're talking about. Until a few years ago, I did not know ther was more than one. IMAX, to me, was the dome type theater that you would see at the big time science center type place where you were surrounded 180 degrees by screen. If you're going to see something like that, its probably worth it.

But I saw some Keanu Reeves end of the world movie in an IMAX theater. Got to the theater and found out, it was just a much bigger screen and louder. Certainly was not worth the extra we spent.

I think the dome is called IMAX Dome

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#79505 Feb 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Weekend plans, anyone?

Tonight: going to see Silver Linings Playbook with A. I haven't talked to her all week but we made these plans via text this morning. I'm taking it as a sign that she's still single.

Tomorrow: no plans yet.

Sunday: watching the Super Bowl somewhere, with someone... undecided as of now.

Ang, it comes on at 6:30 for me! Even later!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#79506 Feb 1, 2013
Oh, I forgot. I have a baby shower tomorrow. Ugh.

Location hidden

#79507 Feb 1, 2013
I'm going to try to leave early. I'll check wtih my boss soon when she's back from getting lunch. My mom is coming over tomorrow and I REALLY want to get a bunch of errands run and STILL have time/energy to clean tonight. Like, I haven't yet cleaned around/behind/under my huge claw foot bathtub. So... yeah. It wasn't the greatest when I moved in and it's kinda gross (I had to buy a special cleaning implement to do this).

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#79508 Feb 1, 2013
Going to give blood now and crossing my fingers I don't pass out.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#79509 Feb 1, 2013
I'm looking forward to meeting a friend after work for a few drinks and then Saturday going to a get-together with good friends that I have known for 35 years (yikes! I can't even BE that old, I swear!).

I have nothing planned for Sunday and I love having a day to do whatever I want -- including nothing if I so choose.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#79510 Feb 1, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
PS, Jess... She's been in hospice care for about a week and a half now... she had a bad weeked with 2 unrelated trips to teh ER. at teh follow up appointmetn iwth her regular doc, he asked a bunch of questions that lead him to suggest that its time. "lucky" (?) for us, she agreed, so that's a weight off my mom's shoulders.
(((Hugs)))

Hospice care doesn't speed anything up, but it makes such a difference in how people approach her care and their interaction with the family. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#79511 Feb 1, 2013
SIL and her boyfriend are coming in for the weekend tonight. They have been away for like, three whole weeks already. I'm less than thrilled. Bored on the weekend? Don't like the cafeteria food? GET JOBS ALREADY. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and they ain't been absent long enough fo dat.

So tonight, we're all going to see "Warm Bodies" and then I made plans for J and I tomorrow to go out with another couple for dinner. Super Bowl in some capacity on Sunday, obviously.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#79512 Feb 1, 2013
Weekend plans - tomorrow I am taking the boys to a bday party for one of their friends in the afternoon and I promised my Grandmother that I would visit her at some point.

Sunday I am going to the quarterly breakfast that the Mayor has for our section of the township, the wake from 2-4 and then home to watch the SuperBowl. Go Ravens (though I will be wearing a Jacksonville shirt, same as every year).

Tonight I am going to finish making calls to let people know that Jane died. I took a break this afternoon so that Evan and I could visit my maternal Grandmother and Aunt. B. we were looking through old photo albums. I'll be posting some of the pics on FB later.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min Trey LaTrache 54,531
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Joe Balls 196,919
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr nanoanomaly 1,276,633
Steve Wilkos : talk show host ? or simple mi... (Feb '08) 2 hr mila123 407
ask amy 8-29-15 3 hr Mister Tonka 7
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr Perrie Winkle 6,424
How to get into the USA. 6 hr New Beach Boys Song 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages