Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps it is due to the programs you watch? TMZ? Entertainment tonight? Other Hollywood 'gossip' shows perhaps?
I can't get sick of her because the things I watch/read rarely have anything to do with her. Same with the Kardashians. Or those 'real' housewives shows. Or Jersey Shore. Or Honey Boo Boo.
Nope. Don't watch any of those. Just headlines and ads and stuff.

It's stuff like at the top of the topix page: Beyonce gives sneak peek of super bowl halftime. Nice ref outfit - they always were thigh-high boots.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

um, that would be wear. I got interrupted.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

So, according to sam, not only is murder the act of a sane mind, but apparently being "Evil" is also a normal state. Because Evil people who commit murder are sane people just like the rest of us who are neither Evil or Murderers.

No wonder it hates guns, shes afraid she will get shot by a "Normal" person.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
If its not seen as crazy then why is it illegal? Because we as a society have decided that murder is an aborhent act, an act of an unbalanced mind and must be punished in the harshest way possible.
Murder is not normal, and you cant justify it by citing their poor upbringing, or environment.
If a person sees murder as normal, they are crazy. I cite sam as a perfect example.
<quoted text>
Crazy does not automatically mean illegal. Weird addiction lady eats cat hair. Crazy, yes. Illegal, no.

I'm pretty sure that the gangbangers would not see themselves as having an unbalanced mind. For their environment, they are acting in a perfectly rational, self-protective manner.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
In NJ - Rifles and shotguns - 18 years old, handguns and pistols - 21 years old
So minors can't hunt? Wow. That would not go over well here!

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The "three strikes law" was overturned by liberals in California. It's not necessarily for gun crimes but "felonies." Liberals argued that should not include non-violent felonies such as burglary. They feared someone could go to prison for life for stealing a candy bar for the third time (which is untrue.) The US Supreme Court upholds the "three strikes" rule, but doesn't explain or lay out any limitations and rather leaves that to the individual states.
My personal view is that if you commit three felonies, you should go to prison for life. Society doesn't need people like you in it.
Right after the three strikes law went into effect in Cali, some guy who had two strikes stole a slice of pizza. Seriously, a single slice of pizza. Petty theft. NOT a felony. They counted it as a strike and sent him back to prison...for life.

Keeping in mind this guy was a bad guy and probably should be away from society (can't remember the particulars, it was a long while ago) he didn't commit a third felony.

Apparently his record was for violent crimes and so they used the misdemeanor petty theft charge as an excuse to throw him back in jail.

He probably should be in jail for life as I recall the info about him, but the pizza thing was an abuse of the spirit of the law. This is why it was repealed. Not for *that* case, but (many) other cases like that.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
So minors can't hunt? Wow. That would not go over well here!
We have the same kind of 18/21 year old law here I think. Chris kept bugging me to buy him a gun before his 21st birthday. For the record, I refused. I figured if he wanted one badly enough he would get it after he turned 21. He never did. <shrug> I don't know about hunting though, but then I don't care about it enough to look into it either. LOL
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Crazy does not automatically mean illegal. Weird addiction lady eats cat hair. Crazy, yes. Illegal, no.
I'm pretty sure that the gangbangers would not see themselves as having an unbalanced mind. For their environment, they are acting in a perfectly rational, self-protective manner.
That holds true of most delusional people. Very few have the self awareness to question themselves in realtime whether their perceptions are real or delusions

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

RACE, I think what I'm trying to say is that until people who think like gangbangers start seeing their behavior as crazy (which they currently don't), ain't nothing gonna change.

We as a society can impose all kinds of rules and punishments, but as we've seen, they are not always effective. The change has to come from within the people themselves.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

It does not matter how the see THEMSELVES, its how society views their actions.

Next you will justify that its ok for them to murder someone because they had a watch they wanted, or an ipod.

It is not perfectly rational, nor is it normal. It is abnormal behavior, just because there are a bunch of people with abnormal tendencies living in a particular demographic does not make it normal behavior. What about all the peeps in the hood who do NOT murder because someone called them a disparaging name? Are they crazy because they did not act like everyone else?
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>In the 1999 Columbine shooting, all the guns were obtained illegally, partially because the murderers were not old enough to buy them, but the assault rifle ban in place at the time didn't apply to any of them. The Carbine and the TEC-DC9 were legal to buy if they had been old enough. They also carried 2 sawed-off shotguns, which have been illegal for years. Shotguns are legal and, so far, nobody is talking about banning them. But shortening them, in order to make them easier to hide, is illegal. I know that Columbine has often been used as justification for a ban, but it's a faulty justification. There was a ban in place at the time, and it was irrelevant. There was also a lot of speculation at the time that they were lashing out to get even with those who had bullied them, and therefore we should really focus on stopping that kind of behavior. I'm all for the idea of eliminating bullying, but according to journals the two boys kept, they weren't victims. In fact, they bragged about being the bullies themselves.
Mental health is obviously a concern, but in most instances that I have heard of, there was no issue large enough to actually do anything, such as commitment, before the person snapped and starting killing people.
I don't hold video games or movies responsible, but we have become a culture that is less concerned about others. For one thing, it is no longer the individual's responsibility to worry about their neighbors...the government can handle that soooo much better. And the internet doesn't help at all either, or maybe just the way we use it. People say such foul, disgusting things to one another, that I would hope they wouldn't say face-to-face, and that just helps dehumanize others. Of course, the gang mentality that has spread so much, confusing fear and intimidation with respect, doesn't help either.
I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that the empty feel-good legislation isn't going to solve anything.
Thank you for this well thought out post.

In our Township Republican meetings, our Chairman has been emphasizing that we are part of a community and we need to look out for our neighbors. Some of the "old timers" have voiced some complaints that we are not a social organization. My response has been that we are not a social organization, but we are a civic organization. We cannot expect people to vote for us if we do not show that we first care for them as our neighbors and show that we want to make a difference in their lives, not just our pockets. AND they will know if we are not sincere.

I think that our government officials cannot continue with their "do as I say, not as I do" attitudes. People have no respect for hypocrites or their rules.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>That holds true of most delusional people. Very few have the self awareness to question themselves in realtime whether their perceptions are real or delusions
But these people aren't delusional. They are basically living in a war zone. A war zone they helped to create, of course, but unfortunately it's now a self-perpetuating situation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Not accurate, edog (i'm shocked):

"...some defendants have been given sentences of 25 years to life in prison for such crimes as shoplifting golf clubs (Gary Ewing, previous strikes for burglary and robbery with a knife), or, along with a violent assault, a slice of pepperoni pizza from a group of children (Jerry Dewayne Williams, previous convictions for robbery and attempted robbery, sentence later reduced to six years)."

That is California.

I don't want people going to prison for 25 years for stealing pizza. THat's a stupid waste of money.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

More insanity:

From Texas:

In Rummel v. Estelle (1980), the Supreme Court upheld a mandatory life sentence with possible parole for a third-strike fraud felony in Texas, which arose from a refusal to repay $120.75 paid for air conditioning repair that was, depending on the source cited, either considered unsatisfactory[14] or not performed at all[15], and where the three felony convictions involved a total of around $230.(Rummel was released a few months later, after successfully challenging his sentence for ineffective assistance of counsel and pleading guilty in a subsequent plea bargain.[16] Texas would later amend its Penal Code to remove the mandatory life requirement for a habitual offender, changing the sentence to 25-99 years or life.)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
But these people aren't delusional. They are basically living in a war zone. A war zone they helped to create, of course, but unfortunately it's now a self-perpetuating situation.
I agree.

This book was one of the most fascinating, informative reads on gang life I think a person can read:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2685188...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Minors can own hunting rifles and shotguns at age 14 here, but they have to have completed a firearm safety course in order to hunt without an adult.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
It does not matter how the see THEMSELVES, its how society views their actions.
Next you will justify that its ok for them to murder someone because they had a watch they wanted, or an ipod.
It is not perfectly rational, nor is it normal. It is abnormal behavior, just because there are a bunch of people with abnormal tendencies living in a particular demographic does not make it normal behavior. What about all the peeps in the hood who do NOT murder because someone called them a disparaging name? Are they crazy because they did not act like everyone else?
<quoted text>
I have not justified anything. Please stop saying that I am.

I am trying to have a conversation about a difficult topic that may make us look at things from someone else's point of view.

I couldn't for one minute fathom carrying a gun on my hip at all times, but I've tried to look at this from your point of view and understand that you have had experiences that have caused you to want to carry a gun at all times. I'm asking that instead of writing a whole lot of people off as crazy, you try to see how their experiences have caused them to act the way they do.

How can we change their environment/way of thinking so that they don't shoot each other up on a daily basis over petty things? To do that, we have to start where they're at. We might not like it, but they're americans too.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

squishymama wrote:
I realize that many people like her and think she's really sexy, but I'm sick of Beyonce.

Thank goodness we watch the Puppy Bowl.
Ha ha, one of my friends from HS just posted on FB "Anyone else suffering from Beyonce fatigue?"
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not justified anything. Please stop saying that I am.
I am trying to have a conversation about a difficult topic that may make us look at things from someone else's point of view.
I couldn't for one minute fathom carrying a gun on my hip at all times, but I've tried to look at this from your point of view and understand that you have had experiences that have caused you to want to carry a gun at all times. I'm asking that instead of writing a whole lot of people off as crazy, you try to see how their experiences have caused them to act the way they do.
How can we change their environment/way of thinking so that they don't shoot each other up on a daily basis over petty things? To do that, we have to start where they're at. We might not like it, but they're americans too.
He only understands his own viewpoint. He has no ability to empathize.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
So, according to sam, not only is murder the act of a sane mind, but apparently being "Evil" is also a normal state. Because Evil people who commit murder are sane people just like the rest of us who are neither Evil or Murderers.
No wonder it hates guns, shes afraid she will get shot by a "Normal" person.
So apparently you have been taking Mutt's course on "Taking Stuff and Twisting It Into Something It Isn't." Please show me where I said evil was normal. "Normal" was being used in the context of crazy/insane v. not crazy/sane. There are evil people who are not crazy. I stand behnid that. And there are evil people who are crazy, and good people who are not crazy, and good people who are crazy. Do you disagree?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

95 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghost 1,083,982
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min LRS 175,151
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 14 min Nana4pali 68,064
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 17 min SpaceBlues 45,902
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 26 min HughBe 68,444
Amy 7-31 34 min Toj 7
Houston police officer leaves blind dog on side... 38 min Nina Golgowski 1
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000