Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I remember watching a news program about an East Coast city (I wish I could remember which city, but I don’t) that established a “three strikes” law. But part of that included funding to inform the public about this law – that if you get caught with a gun while committing a felony and it’s your third strike, you are going to prison for a minimum of X (20, 25) years, just for starters. They put up billboards, signs in bus stops, really informed the lower income parts of the city.
And the use of guns in crimes dropped dramatically. The cops and prosecutors said “No one wants to go to prison. So while these guys didn’t stop committing crimes, at least they didn’t carry guns as much as in the past.” Which is a very good thing. I see that measure as a win all around.
Agreed.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>What? Illegal where? Minors in Minnesota can have rifles.
In NJ - Rifles and shotguns - 18 years old, handguns and pistols - 21 years old

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Sounds to me like you just said it very well.
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
But that is part of my point. In your scenario, the kid could obtain the gun legally, but he didn't. Tightening the laws won't make any difference, because he wasn't following the ones that were already in existence.
People are more impressed by big numbers and I suspect that the majority of gun homicides are committed by guns that were obtained illegally. Most of the murders aren't mass homicides, they are single or double homicides that don't attract as much attention, especially when they occur in urban areas. From reading the articles in the paper, most of those murders aren't committed using "assault" weapons.
I would like to have educated conversations on this topic, especially among my political associates. My opinion is that our focus needs to be on mental health and on the values that we are teaching our children (words and actions as a society), but I need to be able to back up my discussions with numbers explaining why empty legislation is not the solution.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

first hit
http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article...
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Illegal where? Minors in Minnesota can have rifles.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Florida has 10/20/life but I dont think it seems to be much of a deterrent.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I remember watching a news program about an East Coast city (I wish I could remember which city, but I don’t) that established a “three strikes” law. But part of that included funding to inform the public about this law – that if you get caught with a gun while committing a felony and it’s your third strike, you are going to prison for a minimum of X (20, 25) years, just for starters. They put up billboards, signs in bus stops, really informed the lower income parts of the city.
And the use of guns in crimes dropped dramatically. The cops and prosecutors said “No one wants to go to prison. So while these guys didn’t stop committing crimes, at least they didn’t carry guns as much as in the past.” Which is a very good thing. I see that measure as a win all around.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Great!
Sam thinks that committing murder is a perfectly sane act.

Murder, its not just for crazies anymore!

What an effin dolt.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

I realize that many people like her and think she's really sexy, but I'm sick of Beyonce.

Thank goodness we watch the Puppy Bowl.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Great!
What an effin dolt.
So, to clarify, your position is that everyone who commits a murder is insane, correct? It is impossible for a sane person to be evil, correct?

I'll give you this: No matter how ridiculous, unfounded and nonsensical your positions are, you cling to them like a life raft in the middle of the Pacific.

I understand that it's easier for you to just paint everything in broad strokes/simple terms - that way your head don't hurts too much from thinkin'- so you can blame a problem all on something that doesn't challange your position, but the world just isn't that way.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

squishymama wrote:
I realize that many people like her and think she's really sexy, but I'm sick of Beyonce.
Are you more sick of her or the Kardashians?

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

RACE wrote:
Great!
What an effin dolt.
C'mon RACE. I think you know she's trying to point out that in some places in this country, killing people is not seen as crazy.

The gang violence we're seeing in Chicago is seen by most as crazy, but the people living in it do not. It is perfectly normal and natural for them to solve problems and end disputes with the use of a gun.

I don't get it and probably never will, but I didn't grow up in a place where violence was just an excepted part of everyday life.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
But that is part of my point. In your scenario, the kid could obtain the gun legally, but he didn't. Tightening the laws won't make any difference, because he wasn't following the ones that were already in existence.
People are more impressed by big numbers and I suspect that the majority of gun homicides are committed by guns that were obtained illegally. Most of the murders aren't mass homicides, they are single or double homicides that don't attract as much attention, especially when they occur in urban areas. From reading the articles in the paper, most of those murders aren't committed using "assault" weapons.
I would like to have educated conversations on this topic, especially among my political associates. My opinion is that our focus needs to be on mental health and on the values that we are teaching our children (words and actions as a society), but I need to be able to back up my discussions with numbers explaining why empty legislation is not the solution.
In the 1999 Columbine shooting, all the guns were obtained illegally, partially because the murderers were not old enough to buy them, but the assault rifle ban in place at the time didn't apply to any of them. The Carbine and the TEC-DC9 were legal to buy if they had been old enough. They also carried 2 sawed-off shotguns, which have been illegal for years. Shotguns are legal and, so far, nobody is talking about banning them. But shortening them, in order to make them easier to hide, is illegal. I know that Columbine has often been used as justification for a ban, but it's a faulty justification. There was a ban in place at the time, and it was irrelevant. There was also a lot of speculation at the time that they were lashing out to get even with those who had bullied them, and therefore we should really focus on stopping that kind of behavior. I'm all for the idea of eliminating bullying, but according to journals the two boys kept, they weren't victims. In fact, they bragged about being the bullies themselves.
Mental health is obviously a concern, but in most instances that I have heard of, there was no issue large enough to actually do anything, such as commitment, before the person snapped and starting killing people.
I don't hold video games or movies responsible, but we have become a culture that is less concerned about others. For one thing, it is no longer the individual's responsibility to worry about their neighbors...the government can handle that soooo much better. And the internet doesn't help at all either, or maybe just the way we use it. People say such foul, disgusting things to one another, that I would hope they wouldn't say face-to-face, and that just helps dehumanize others. Of course, the gang mentality that has spread so much, confusing fear and intimidation with respect, doesn't help either.
I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that the empty feel-good legislation isn't going to solve anything.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you more sick of her or the Kardashians?
Hmmm...

I think it's a tie.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
Perhaps it is due to the programs you watch? TMZ? Entertainment tonight? Other Hollywood 'gossip' shows perhaps?
I can't get sick of her because the things I watch/read rarely have anything to do with her. Same with the Kardashians. Or those 'real' housewives shows. Or Jersey Shore. Or Honey Boo Boo.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon RACE. I think you know she's trying to point out that in some places in this country, killing people is not seen as crazy.
The gang violence we're seeing in Chicago is seen by most as crazy, but the people living in it do not. It is perfectly normal and natural for them to solve problems and end disputes with the use of a gun.
I don't get it and probably never will, but I didn't grow up in a place where violence was just an excepted part of everyday life.
Somewhere deep down he probably knows what I was saying, but the I-hope-she-gets-cancer part of him isn't very rational.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
given this, there are different definitions of "crazy". There is a difference between clinincally/judicially insane and "whacked"... teh stuff in chicago is mostly whacked, especially the gang violence, whereas the incident in aurora, co and sandyhook is in the neighborhood of clinically/judicially insane.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

If its not seen as crazy then why is it illegal? Because we as a society have decided that murder is an aborhent act, an act of an unbalanced mind and must be punished in the harshest way possible.

Murder is not normal, and you cant justify it by citing their poor upbringing, or environment.

If a person sees murder as normal, they are crazy. I cite sam as a perfect example.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I remember watching a news program about an East Coast city (I wish I could remember which city, but I don’t) that established a “three strikes” law. But part of that included funding to inform the public about this law – that if you get caught with a gun while committing a felony and it’s your third strike, you are going to prison for a minimum of X (20, 25) years, just for starters.
The "three strikes law" was overturned by liberals in California. It's not necessarily for gun crimes but "felonies." Liberals argued that should not include non-violent felonies such as burglary. They feared someone could go to prison for life for stealing a candy bar for the third time (which is untrue.) The US Supreme Court upholds the "three strikes" rule, but doesn't explain or lay out any limitations and rather leaves that to the individual states.

My personal view is that if you commit three felonies, you should go to prison for life. Society doesn't need people like you in it.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps it is due to the programs you watch? TMZ? Entertainment tonight? Other Hollywood 'gossip' shows perhaps?
I can't get sick of her because the things I watch/read rarely have anything to do with her. Same with the Kardashians. Or those 'real' housewives shows. Or Jersey Shore. Or Honey Boo Boo.
Nope. Don't watch any of those. Just headlines and ads and stuff.

It's stuff like at the top of the topix page: Beyonce gives sneak peek of super bowl halftime. Nice ref outfit - they always were thigh-high boots.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

um, that would be wear. I got interrupted.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

So, according to sam, not only is murder the act of a sane mind, but apparently being "Evil" is also a normal state. Because Evil people who commit murder are sane people just like the rest of us who are neither Evil or Murderers.

No wonder it hates guns, shes afraid she will get shot by a "Normal" person.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 78,281 - 78,300 of96,013
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]