Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

So I tried calling Dickie at work several times today; no answer. Just talked to him only to find out that he *had been * at work but left to go golfing. He didn't want to fess up but he finally did. It was almost like he was sleeping with another woman! He says pictures were taken of him on the course...

That's fine. I'm satisfied with the fact that he got drenched twice.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Kinda sounds like you're putting your fingers in your ears and yelling LA LA LA because the truth is too upsetting?
What color is the sky on the planet where you live?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Why fire hydrant red of course!
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
What color is the sky on the planet where you live?

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha!
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you worry about them, you should support measures that would actually prevent them. Not feel good measures, that can easily be worked around. As many of us have pointed out, banning assault rifles won't prevent massacres. You can do just as much damage in many settings with a couple of handguns and extra clips.
Saw an article today and it said only 4% of homicides are caused by rifles, 4% with shotguns, I think 8% with other weapons, and the rest are caused with handguns.
Although I appreciate the media sensationalism such events cause, are 20 lives lost in a single massacre with an assault rifle more valuable than 20 lives lost in individual hand gun shootings? Do the loved ones of those 20 individuals who die in individual shootings feel any different than the loved ones of the 20 who die in a single massacre.
My notion of effective measures would probably provoke as much rhetoric as the assault rifle proposals.

I would approach it from the mental health standpoint. Many states have a sexually violent offender statute that allows a psychiatric assessment of someone to predict whether they will be sexual predators in teh future and if teh psychatrists find that they have reason to make that prediction, teh offendeto-be is civilly committed, potentially for life. The process has passed Constututional muster so I know it works.

Move that approach out of the sexual realm. Identify those people who are potentially violent, put them through the same predictive screening process and commit them. Edog and Angela can have their guns; the people who are predictably vooent are taken out.

But selling the notion that we would lock people up because of something they might do would be harder than prying teh guns from someone's cold dead hands.

OTOH, given teh information currently published about Adam Lanza, it would not have prevented SandyHook unlessa psychiatrist had seen him and flagged him for screening. Anyway, his parents were rich. They would have bought his way out.

/s/ Yours Anachronistically and Cynically,

Pelly

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Thank you for admitting that you cant predict and stop crazy, so the notion of creating rules that only effect the sane normal is of no practical use at all.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
My notion of effective measures would probably provoke as much rhetoric as the assault rifle proposals.
I would approach it from the mental health standpoint. Many states have a sexually violent offender statute that allows a psychiatric assessment of someone to predict whether they will be sexual predators in teh future and if teh psychatrists find that they have reason to make that prediction, teh offendeto-be is civilly committed, potentially for life. The process has passed Constututional muster so I know it works.
Move that approach out of the sexual realm. Identify those people who are potentially violent, put them through the same predictive screening process and commit them. Edog and Angela can have their guns; the people who are predictably vooent are taken out.
But selling the notion that we would lock people up because of something they might do would be harder than prying teh guns from someone's cold dead hands.
OTOH, given teh information currently published about Adam Lanza, it would not have prevented SandyHook unlessa psychiatrist had seen him and flagged him for screening. Anyway, his parents were rich. They would have bought his way out.
Pelly
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Thank you for admitting that you cant predict and stop crazy, so the notion of creating rules that only effect the sane normal is of no practical use at all.
<quoted text>
I think you can predict crazy and you can stop them, but the method, means and potential for abuse is so great that it is impractical.

One of the side ads on the NYTimes website is for a play about 2 women who were institutionalized for being unwed mothers in the 1920's. Any predictive modeling and remval from society has to be seen with that as a context.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
In his world, he and all the smart people want to paint it red, but all those damn liberals have painted it blue and ruined everyting.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>In his world, he and all the smart people want to paint it red, but all those damn liberals have painted it blue and ruined everyting.
I was just about to say the same thing! Maybe you're not half smart after all!?

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

This is what happens when you let Guinea pigs marry.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>In his world, he and all the smart people want to paint it red, but all those damn liberals have painted it blue and ruined everyting.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Overheard in the lobby of my building:

Random guy talking to the security guard: "notre dame football players are smarter than players from other schools."

Me, thinking: "yeah, that's why they always lose."

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the only new gun laws that *might* make a difference is federally mandated waiting periods and background checks. But that’s a very iffy “might.” And along a federal mandate has to come with funding. Just this month, a MN sheriff discovered (I think via FB somehow) that a local “kid” had amassed a hell of an arsenal, and he’s not legally allowed to own guns – because he shot his mother to death when he was 14 and spent 10 years or so in psychiatric care and has been determined that he is a threat to others (but they released him anyway).
He bought those guns legally as far as, different entities weren’t sharing information, so when a sheriff’s office did a standard background check, they didn’t discover his mental health issues and violent background.
So even following the laws, he amassed a ton of guns, and no gun seller did anything wrong.
I don't have a problem with the waiting periods and background checks. I think that is a good idea. I think it is only common sense to make sure folks who shouldn't have guns, for whatever reason do not get them.

However the real problem with these massacres are mentally unstable folks. Background checks are really only good at preventing those with criminal records from obtaining guns. Psychiatrist records are confidential in almost every instance ... absent the most mentally deranged. So, while I support the law, it's not because I think it will be very effective at preventing massacres, but rather to prevent criminals from obtaining guns, mostly.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Pelly
Yes, I agree it is very difficult. Another thing to consider is that under such a scenario, folks who need treatment, may not get it or may not disclose to the psychiatrist what is really going on with them, for fear that they could be committed.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a problem with the waiting periods and background checks. I think that is a good idea. I think it is only common sense to make sure folks who shouldn't have guns, for whatever reason do not get them.
However the real problem with these massacres are mentally unstable folks. Background checks are really only good at preventing those with criminal records from obtaining guns. Psychiatrist records are confidential in almost every instance ... absent the most mentally deranged. So, while I support the law, it's not because I think it will be very effective at preventing massacres, but rather to prevent criminals from obtaining guns, mostly.
I don't think we've seen much evidence that these crazy people shooting up places used guns that were purchased illegaly.

I do think more people who own guns should lock them up in a gun safe, other than maybe the one they want to keep handy for protection (as race does, which I support).

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

F'ing George Bush is still behind the scenes f'ing up our economy ... it's all his fault!!!! <sarcasm> New data today shows U.S. economy contracted in the 4th quarter of 2012.

Don't worry, folks, Buck Stops Here Barrack has a plan to get us out of this funk and a vision ... we just need more government spending, higher taxes, and to make highly impoverished illegal foreign nationals U.S. citizens so they can be provided with entitlements and free Obamacare, and then once they become U.S. citizens they can petition to bring their highly impoverished grandma's, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers and sisters, over here.

Adding millions and millions of folks near the poverty line to entitlement rolls is the way to salvation! When combined with more government spending and higher taxes, the U.S. economy will be an unstoppable global force. China will cower.

We all know that folks living at or near the poverty line pay way more to the government in taxes than they use in resources ... especially given that they will pay no federal income taxes and will receive earned income tax credits, how could this not be the case? The government coffers will be overflowing! This is self-evident! <sarcasm>

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think we've seen much evidence that these crazy people shooting up places used guns that were purchased illegaly.
I do think more people who own guns should lock them up in a gun safe, other than maybe the one they want to keep handy for protection (as race does, which I support).
I agree. I also think the idiot whose gun went off at a gun show in NC about a week ago, should be banned from owning guns. I mean, really, if you are that dumb to bring a loaded gun to a gun show in the first place, you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. There is no mechanism right now to prevent irresponsible dopes such as this guy from owning guns.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I also think the idiot whose gun went off at a gun show in NC about a week ago, should be banned from owning guns. I mean, really, if you are that dumb to bring a loaded gun to a gun show in the first place, you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. There is no mechanism right now to prevent irresponsible dopes such as this guy from owning guns.
And I saw a recent news story on gun shows, and all of them had similar rules: No loaded guns allowed, clips must be separate from the gun when you're bringing it in as a private seller, etc.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

I thought these pics were pretty cool.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/death-defying-se...

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

squishymama wrote:
I thought these pics were pretty cool.
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/death-defying-se...
Those were cool. If I tried that there would be one picture. That picture would probably be pasted to the memorial board at my wake.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 78,241 - 78,260 of96,005
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

98 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,033,519
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 min everybody 64,955
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 min OzRitz 42,923
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 21 min Justice Dale 167,375
Strip club laws in Chicagoland and in Illinois.... (Oct '10) 35 min REAL POLICE 15
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr David 46,990
Men charged with selling sewer covers, grates f... (Aug '12) 1 hr Per Usual 7
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••