“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#79299 Jan 30, 2013
Note to self...
Dont use egg slicer on soft boiled eggs, it just doesn't work.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#79300 Jan 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
I thought these pics were pretty cool.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/death-defying-se...
They are very cool! I am very lightheaded just from looking at them, though (pretty bad fear of heights).

Neda, stay with me!

#79302 Jan 30, 2013
The train track one is the best, you can feel your belly lurching, and your eyes are drawn to not only him, but all through the picture.
That would make a great poster.
squishymama wrote:
I thought these pics were pretty cool.
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/death-defying-se...
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#79303 Jan 30, 2013
Miscellaneous:

News Item: Former Marine infantryman speaks out against allowing women in combat, saying fellow Marines "forced to be naked in front of the opposite sex" might find it "traumatizing."
Add Marines to the list of things that aren't what they used to be.

We Have Seen the Present, and It Does Not Work:
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission lists grass as an unsafe playing surface for children.

News Headline: "Missile launcher shows up at Seattle gun buyback."
Or do you question an American's right to hunt deer and protect his home with a missile launcher?
Some people will never understand the Second Amendment.

News Headline: "U.S. debt headed for 200 percent of GDP."
All right.
But before we all run screaming into the streets:
The national debt is now a little above 100 percent of the gross domestic product.
This is about where it was after World War II.
And it is still rising, although this has slowed significantly because federal revenues have risen and annual deficits have fallen over the past four years.
So, yes, the debt is headed for 200 percent.
Have you ever driven from Chicago to Milwaukee?
You were headed for the North Pole.

Q: Why did the mechanic sleep under his car?
A: Because he needed to get up oily.

HA HA HA!

Neda, stay with me!

#79304 Jan 30, 2013
Gomer Pyle got married and Surprise, Surprise, Suprise....

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#79305 Jan 30, 2013
RACE wrote:
Gomer Pyle got married and Surprise, Surprise, Suprise....
Heh, not really much of a surprise.:) What's more surprising is a relationship in Hollywood lasting 38 years!

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#79306 Jan 30, 2013
I'm using y'all as a resource and sounding board because I'm being lazy. Does anyone have stats on how many gun homicides were committed by people who obtained their guns illegally?

Neda, stay with me!

#79307 Jan 30, 2013
They live in Honolulu. So that may explain it.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh, not really much of a surprise.:) What's more surprising is a relationship in Hollywood lasting 38 years!

Neda, stay with me!

#79308 Jan 30, 2013
Illegally is a broad term (giving a rifle to a kid under 18 is illegal, but if he does not go wonky till after 18, was the gun obtained illegally, even though at present he could legally posses the weapon).

A better stat would be how many lawful gun owners (crazies not included), actually commit a homicide with their weapon.
Jess in NJ wrote:
I'm using y'all as a resource and sounding board because I'm being lazy. Does anyone have stats on how many gun homicides were committed by people who obtained their guns illegally?

Location hidden

#79309 Jan 30, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...

Excerpts:

"An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes," Wachtel said. Because when they want guns they want them immediately the wait is usually too long for a weapon to be stolen and find its way to a criminal."

"The report states that "of the 120,370 crime guns that were traced to purchases from the FFLs then in business, 27.7 % of these firearms were seized by law enforcement in connection with a crime within two years of the original sale. This rapid `time to crime' of a gun purchased from an FFL is a strong indicator that the initial seller or purchaser may have been engaged in unlawful activity.""

"ATF officials say that only about 8% of the nation's 124,000 retail gun dealers sell the majority of handguns that are used in crimes. They conclude that these licensed retailers are part of a block of rogue entrepreneurs tempted by the big profits of gun trafficking."

Location hidden

#79310 Jan 30, 2013
So, it doesn't really answer your specific question re: homicides, but it does paint a good picture about how guns get moved around.

Location hidden

#79311 Jan 30, 2013
RACE wrote:
Illegally is a broad term (giving a rifle to a kid under 18 is illegal, but if he does not go wonky till after 18, was the gun obtained illegally, even though at present he could legally posses the weapon).
What? Illegal where? Minors in Minnesota can have rifles.

Location hidden

#79312 Jan 30, 2013
I remember watching a news program about an East Coast city (I wish I could remember which city, but I don’t) that established a “three strikes” law. But part of that included funding to inform the public about this law – that if you get caught with a gun while committing a felony and it’s your third strike, you are going to prison for a minimum of X (20, 25) years, just for starters. They put up billboards, signs in bus stops, really informed the lower income parts of the city.

And the use of guns in crimes dropped dramatically. The cops and prosecutors said “No one wants to go to prison. So while these guys didn’t stop committing crimes, at least they didn’t carry guns as much as in the past.” Which is a very good thing. I see that measure as a win all around.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#79313 Jan 30, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
I thought this was a very thoughtful, well put together article.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#79314 Jan 30, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>Illegally is a broad term (giving a rifle to a kid under 18 is illegal, but if he does not go wonky till after 18, was the gun obtained illegally, even though at present he could legally posses the weapon).

A better stat would be how many lawful gun owners (crazies not included), actually commit a homicide with their weapon.
But that is part of my point. In your scenario, the kid could obtain the gun legally, but he didn't. Tightening the laws won't make any difference, because he wasn't following the ones that were already in existence.

People are more impressed by big numbers and I suspect that the majority of gun homicides are committed by guns that were obtained illegally. Most of the murders aren't mass homicides, they are single or double homicides that don't attract as much attention, especially when they occur in urban areas. From reading the articles in the paper, most of those murders aren't committed using "assault" weapons.

I would like to have educated conversations on this topic, especially among my political associates. My opinion is that our focus needs to be on mental health and on the values that we are teaching our children (words and actions as a society), but I need to be able to back up my discussions with numbers explaining why empty legislation is not the solution.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#79315 Jan 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...

Excerpts:

"An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes," Wachtel said. Because when they want guns they want them immediately the wait is usually too long for a weapon to be stolen and find its way to a criminal."

"The report states that "of the 120,370 crime guns that were traced to purchases from the FFLs then in business, 27.7 % of these firearms were seized by law enforcement in connection with a crime within two years of the original sale. This rapid `time to crime' of a gun purchased from an FFL is a strong indicator that the initial seller or purchaser may have been engaged in unlawful activity.""

"ATF officials say that only about 8% of the nation's 124,000 retail gun dealers sell the majority of handguns that are used in crimes. They conclude that these licensed retailers are part of a block of rogue entrepreneurs tempted by the big profits of gun trafficking."
Thanks! That article helps.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#79316 Jan 30, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't give your brain a cramp doing those mental gymnastics. Illegally is a broad term? What, so there's illegal, legal and kinda legal? Her question was pretty simple: How many homicides were committed by people who got their guns illegally? Whether or not someone obtained their gun legally is pretty simple to determine. And if someone got their gun illegally when they were 18, and they took no steps to properly register it after they turned 18, then they still own the gun illegally.

Is it your position that anyone who commits murder with a gun is crazy? You keep citing this carve-out for "crazies," like if it weren't for the "crazies" everything would be o.k. with guns and people. You realize, don't you, that there are people who are perfectly sane who are just bad. The way you can rationalize doing things that others view as wrong, they can rationalize killing someone. And they're not crazy, otherwise we'd have a lot more mental institutions and a lot fewer jails.

And you act like people who are crazy are always crazy and are readily detectable. Just like your teen who can't own a gun legally but then turns 18 and can if he does so properly, a person can be walking around perfectly normal, they get a gun legally, then something happens - physical trauma, emotional trauma, etc.- and they turn "crazy." And they still have the gun. So stop acting like not selling guns to "crazies" anymore is any better of a fix than anything else than has been discussed. Just like limiting the size of magazines, "stopping the crazies" is just a small part of the bigger solution.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#79317 Jan 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I remember watching a news program about an East Coast city (I wish I could remember which city, but I don’t) that established a “three strikes” law. But part of that included funding to inform the public about this law – that if you get caught with a gun while committing a felony and it’s your third strike, you are going to prison for a minimum of X (20, 25) years, just for starters. They put up billboards, signs in bus stops, really informed the lower income parts of the city.
And the use of guns in crimes dropped dramatically. The cops and prosecutors said “No one wants to go to prison. So while these guys didn’t stop committing crimes, at least they didn’t carry guns as much as in the past.” Which is a very good thing. I see that measure as a win all around.
Agreed.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#79318 Jan 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>What? Illegal where? Minors in Minnesota can have rifles.
In NJ - Rifles and shotguns - 18 years old, handguns and pistols - 21 years old

Neda, stay with me!

#79319 Jan 30, 2013
Sounds to me like you just said it very well.
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
But that is part of my point. In your scenario, the kid could obtain the gun legally, but he didn't. Tightening the laws won't make any difference, because he wasn't following the ones that were already in existence.
People are more impressed by big numbers and I suspect that the majority of gun homicides are committed by guns that were obtained illegally. Most of the murders aren't mass homicides, they are single or double homicides that don't attract as much attention, especially when they occur in urban areas. From reading the articles in the paper, most of those murders aren't committed using "assault" weapons.
I would like to have educated conversations on this topic, especially among my political associates. My opinion is that our focus needs to be on mental health and on the values that we are teaching our children (words and actions as a society), but I need to be able to back up my discussions with numbers explaining why empty legislation is not the solution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Yeah 1,114,754
Amy - 9-29-2014 5 min Ralph 20
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Kristy 46,978
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 9 min testing 50,013
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 31 min JOEL 69,465
Amy 9-30 44 min Mister Tonka 6
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Rogue Scholar 05 178,578

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]