Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#79255 Jan 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Interesting story about the catholic church/hospital and the fetuses. THe mom came into the ER throwing up and had a heart attack before they could even get her into a room. She died, then the babies inside her died. Husband sued. It's now been seven years.
I need to read more because I can't determine whether I side with the hospital (as in, they aren't guilty of malpractice) or with the dad.
But too many parents sue for wrongful death of their children out of grief, rather than just accepting that sometimes, horrible things happen and that's just life.
I agree with you 100% that sometimes bad things happen -- but is it per chance this situation? Link: http://www.vice.com/read/a-catholic-hospital-...

If it is, I believe it's testing Roe v. Wade more than anything (with just skimming and reading the article).

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#79256 Jan 29, 2013
and NOT reading the article. Geesh.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#79257 Jan 29, 2013
Okay, read it. I side with the hospital but I'm loving that the Catholic hospital is legally making the argument that a fetus is not a person.

Of course, they are only speaking in terms of legal definitions and not necessarily their views. Still, most people won't see it that way.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#79258 Jan 29, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>So you're saying that being gay means you are a child molester? Tell us more. Gather round all. We're about to get some learnin dropped on us.
We've hashed on this before, and I posted links and proof that statistically, gays are three times more likely to molest children.

(Remember, you can't use sheer numbers because straights vastly outnumber gays.)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#79259 Jan 29, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you 100% that sometimes bad things happen -- but is it per chance this situation? Link: http://www.vice.com/read/a-catholic-hospital-...
If it is, I believe it's testing Roe v. Wade more than anything (with just skimming and reading the article).
Yeah, it's that case. But they're not giving us any helpful details, just the sensationalist aspects.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#79260 Jan 29, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I commend the boy scouts for changing, but I think that author is an obnoxious as$.
He despises anyone who doesn't share his views and demonizes them as un American. Typical narrow-minded liberal.

Location hidden

#79261 Jan 29, 2013
Have you heard of this? 9' high ocean foam hitting the streets of Australia:

http://news.discovery.com/earth/oceans/sea-fo...

Location hidden

#79262 Jan 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
We've hashed on this before, and I posted links and proof that statistically, gays are three times more likely to molest children.
(Remember, you can't use sheer numbers because straights vastly outnumber gays.)
Bullshit. Liar. Bullshit. Liar. Bullshit. Liar.

I don't know how you even have any friends with that brain of yours.

Location hidden

#79263 Jan 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
He despises anyone who doesn't share his views and demonizes them as un American. Typical narrow-minded liberal.
Sounds like a typical narrow-minded republican on these boards.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#79264 Jan 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
He despises anyone who doesn't share his views and demonizes them as un American.
I agree.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#79265 Jan 29, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
News Headline: "For sixth time in a week, man shot at a gun show."
OK. We've been trying it the National Rifle Association's way.
How long would it take to manufacture 315 million assault rifles?
Then we can all just have it out.
Thank goodness for the wisdom of the White House. Obviously, a ban on assault rifles will put an end to accidents with pistols and shotguns.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#79266 Jan 29, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit. Liar. Bullshit. Liar. Bullshit. Liar.
Kinda sounds like you're putting your fingers in your ears and yelling LA LA LA because the truth is too upsetting?
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#79267 Jan 29, 2013
Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank goodness for the wisdom of the White House. Obviously, a ban on assault rifles will put an end to accidents with pistols and shotguns.
Its not the accidents we worry about, it is the intentional slaughters.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#79269 Jan 29, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
If you worry about them, you should support measures that would actually prevent them. Not feel good measures, that can easily be worked around. As many of us have pointed out, banning assault rifles won't prevent massacres. You can do just as much damage in many settings with a couple of handguns and extra clips.

Saw an article today and it said only 4% of homicides are caused by rifles, 4% with shotguns, I think 8% with other weapons, and the rest are caused with handguns.

Although I appreciate the media sensationalism such events cause, are 20 lives lost in a single massacre with an assault rifle more valuable than 20 lives lost in individual hand gun shootings? Do the loved ones of those 20 individuals who die in individual shootings feel any different than the loved ones of the 20 who die in a single massacre.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#79270 Jan 29, 2013
Which has absolutely no bearing on sams agenda. Assault style weapons must be banned, and every firearm accident from potato cannon to nuke only proves that point.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#79271 Jan 29, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>So you're saying that being gay means you are a child molester? Tell us more. Gather round all. We're about to get some learnin dropped on us.
Times like this, you are so damn hot.

Location hidden

#79272 Jan 29, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you worry about them, you should support measures that would actually prevent them. Not feel good measures, that can easily be worked around. As many of us have pointed out, banning assault rifles won't prevent massacres. You can do just as much damage in many settings with a couple of handguns and extra clips.
Saw an article today and it said only 4% of homicides are caused by rifles, 4% with shotguns, I think 8% with other weapons, and the rest are caused with handguns.
Although I appreciate the media sensationalism such events cause, are 20 lives lost in a single massacre with an assault rifle more valuable than 20 lives lost in individual hand gun shootings? Do the loved ones of those 20 individuals who die in individual shootings feel any different than the loved ones of the 20 who die in a single massacre.
I think the only new gun laws that *might* make a difference is federally mandated waiting periods and background checks. But that’s a very iffy “might.” And along a federal mandate has to come with funding. Just this month, a MN sheriff discovered (I think via FB somehow) that a local “kid” had amassed a hell of an arsenal, and he’s not legally allowed to own guns – because he shot his mother to death when he was 14 and spent 10 years or so in psychiatric care and has been determined that he is a threat to others (but they released him anyway).

He bought those guns legally as far as, different entities weren’t sharing information, so when a sheriff’s office did a standard background check, they didn’t discover his mental health issues and violent background.

So even following the laws, he amassed a ton of guns, and no gun seller did anything wrong.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#79274 Jan 29, 2013
So I tried calling Dickie at work several times today; no answer. Just talked to him only to find out that he *had been * at work but left to go golfing. He didn't want to fess up but he finally did. It was almost like he was sleeping with another woman! He says pictures were taken of him on the course...

That's fine. I'm satisfied with the fact that he got drenched twice.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#79275 Jan 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Kinda sounds like you're putting your fingers in your ears and yelling LA LA LA because the truth is too upsetting?
What color is the sky on the planet where you live?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#79276 Jan 29, 2013
Why fire hydrant red of course!
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
What color is the sky on the planet where you live?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Karma is a_______ 1,115,698
Amy 10-2 4 min Toj 5
Amy - 9-29-2014 12 min PEllen 37
Abby 10-2 15 min PEllen 4
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 18 min litesong 47,081
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 19 min RJS 7,796
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 26 min Beaver 4,056
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 178,624
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]