Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#79288 Jan 30, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
My notion of effective measures would probably provoke as much rhetoric as the assault rifle proposals.
I would approach it from the mental health standpoint. Many states have a sexually violent offender statute that allows a psychiatric assessment of someone to predict whether they will be sexual predators in teh future and if teh psychatrists find that they have reason to make that prediction, teh offendeto-be is civilly committed, potentially for life. The process has passed Constututional muster so I know it works.
Move that approach out of the sexual realm. Identify those people who are potentially violent, put them through the same predictive screening process and commit them. Edog and Angela can have their guns; the people who are predictably vooent are taken out.
But selling the notion that we would lock people up because of something they might do would be harder than prying teh guns from someone's cold dead hands.
OTOH, given teh information currently published about Adam Lanza, it would not have prevented SandyHook unlessa psychiatrist had seen him and flagged him for screening. Anyway, his parents were rich. They would have bought his way out.
/s/ Yours Anachronistically and Cynically,
Pelly
Yes, I agree it is very difficult. Another thing to consider is that under such a scenario, folks who need treatment, may not get it or may not disclose to the psychiatrist what is really going on with them, for fear that they could be committed.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#79289 Jan 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a problem with the waiting periods and background checks. I think that is a good idea. I think it is only common sense to make sure folks who shouldn't have guns, for whatever reason do not get them.
However the real problem with these massacres are mentally unstable folks. Background checks are really only good at preventing those with criminal records from obtaining guns. Psychiatrist records are confidential in almost every instance ... absent the most mentally deranged. So, while I support the law, it's not because I think it will be very effective at preventing massacres, but rather to prevent criminals from obtaining guns, mostly.
I don't think we've seen much evidence that these crazy people shooting up places used guns that were purchased illegaly.

I do think more people who own guns should lock them up in a gun safe, other than maybe the one they want to keep handy for protection (as race does, which I support).

Location hidden

#79290 Jan 30, 2013
F'ing George Bush is still behind the scenes f'ing up our economy ... it's all his fault!!!! <sarcasm> New data today shows U.S. economy contracted in the 4th quarter of 2012.

Don't worry, folks, Buck Stops Here Barrack has a plan to get us out of this funk and a vision ... we just need more government spending, higher taxes, and to make highly impoverished illegal foreign nationals U.S. citizens so they can be provided with entitlements and free Obamacare, and then once they become U.S. citizens they can petition to bring their highly impoverished grandma's, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers and sisters, over here.

Adding millions and millions of folks near the poverty line to entitlement rolls is the way to salvation! When combined with more government spending and higher taxes, the U.S. economy will be an unstoppable global force. China will cower.

We all know that folks living at or near the poverty line pay way more to the government in taxes than they use in resources ... especially given that they will pay no federal income taxes and will receive earned income tax credits, how could this not be the case? The government coffers will be overflowing! This is self-evident! <sarcasm>

Location hidden

#79291 Jan 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think we've seen much evidence that these crazy people shooting up places used guns that were purchased illegaly.
I do think more people who own guns should lock them up in a gun safe, other than maybe the one they want to keep handy for protection (as race does, which I support).
I agree. I also think the idiot whose gun went off at a gun show in NC about a week ago, should be banned from owning guns. I mean, really, if you are that dumb to bring a loaded gun to a gun show in the first place, you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. There is no mechanism right now to prevent irresponsible dopes such as this guy from owning guns.

Location hidden

#79292 Jan 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I also think the idiot whose gun went off at a gun show in NC about a week ago, should be banned from owning guns. I mean, really, if you are that dumb to bring a loaded gun to a gun show in the first place, you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. There is no mechanism right now to prevent irresponsible dopes such as this guy from owning guns.
And I saw a recent news story on gun shows, and all of them had similar rules: No loaded guns allowed, clips must be separate from the gun when you're bringing it in as a private seller, etc.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#79293 Jan 30, 2013
I thought these pics were pretty cool.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/death-defying-se...

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#79295 Jan 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Those were cool. If I tried that there would be one picture. That picture would probably be pasted to the memorial board at my wake.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#79296 Jan 30, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
Hanging out at the DMV to renew my license. It's been 40 mins so far and I'm not even in the line yet (you show your documents to a receptionist, then wait for them to call your number so you can stand in line).
Sorry. Hang in there.

At least you have us to entertain you.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#79297 Jan 30, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a problem with the waiting periods and background checks. I think that is a good idea. I think it is only common sense to make sure folks who shouldn't have guns, for whatever reason do not get them.
However the real problem with these massacres are mentally unstable folks. Background checks are really only good at preventing those with criminal records from obtaining guns. Psychiatrist records are confidential in almost every instance ... absent the most mentally deranged. So, while I support the law, it's not because I think it will be very effective at preventing massacres, but rather to prevent criminals from obtaining guns, mostly.
The most cogent statement I've seen any of you guys offer so far on this subject.

Location hidden

#79298 Jan 30, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Those were cool. If I tried that there would be one picture. That picture would probably be pasted to the memorial board at my wake.
HA!!!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#79299 Jan 30, 2013
Note to self...
Dont use egg slicer on soft boiled eggs, it just doesn't work.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#79300 Jan 30, 2013
squishymama wrote:

They are very cool! I am very lightheaded just from looking at them, though (pretty bad fear of heights).

#79302 Jan 30, 2013
The train track one is the best, you can feel your belly lurching, and your eyes are drawn to not only him, but all through the picture.
That would make a great poster.
squishymama wrote:
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#79303 Jan 30, 2013
Miscellaneous:

News Item: Former Marine infantryman speaks out against allowing women in combat, saying fellow Marines "forced to be naked in front of the opposite sex" might find it "traumatizing."
Add Marines to the list of things that aren't what they used to be.

We Have Seen the Present, and It Does Not Work:
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission lists grass as an unsafe playing surface for children.

News Headline: "Missile launcher shows up at Seattle gun buyback."
Or do you question an American's right to hunt deer and protect his home with a missile launcher?
Some people will never understand the Second Amendment.

News Headline: "U.S. debt headed for 200 percent of GDP."
All right.
But before we all run screaming into the streets:
The national debt is now a little above 100 percent of the gross domestic product.
This is about where it was after World War II.
And it is still rising, although this has slowed significantly because federal revenues have risen and annual deficits have fallen over the past four years.
So, yes, the debt is headed for 200 percent.
Have you ever driven from Chicago to Milwaukee?
You were headed for the North Pole.

Q: Why did the mechanic sleep under his car?
A: Because he needed to get up oily.

HA HA HA!

#79304 Jan 30, 2013
Gomer Pyle got married and Surprise, Surprise, Suprise....

Location hidden

#79305 Jan 30, 2013
RACE wrote:
Gomer Pyle got married and Surprise, Surprise, Suprise....
Heh, not really much of a surprise.:) What's more surprising is a relationship in Hollywood lasting 38 years!

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#79306 Jan 30, 2013
I'm using y'all as a resource and sounding board because I'm being lazy. Does anyone have stats on how many gun homicides were committed by people who obtained their guns illegally?

#79307 Jan 30, 2013
They live in Honolulu. So that may explain it.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh, not really much of a surprise.:) What's more surprising is a relationship in Hollywood lasting 38 years!

#79308 Jan 30, 2013
Illegally is a broad term (giving a rifle to a kid under 18 is illegal, but if he does not go wonky till after 18, was the gun obtained illegally, even though at present he could legally posses the weapon).

A better stat would be how many lawful gun owners (crazies not included), actually commit a homicide with their weapon.
Jess in NJ wrote:
I'm using y'all as a resource and sounding board because I'm being lazy. Does anyone have stats on how many gun homicides were committed by people who obtained their guns illegally?

Location hidden

#79309 Jan 30, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...

Excerpts:

"An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes," Wachtel said. Because when they want guns they want them immediately the wait is usually too long for a weapon to be stolen and find its way to a criminal."

"The report states that "of the 120,370 crime guns that were traced to purchases from the FFLs then in business, 27.7 % of these firearms were seized by law enforcement in connection with a crime within two years of the original sale. This rapid `time to crime' of a gun purchased from an FFL is a strong indicator that the initial seller or purchaser may have been engaged in unlawful activity.""

"ATF officials say that only about 8% of the nation's 124,000 retail gun dealers sell the majority of handguns that are used in crimes. They conclude that these licensed retailers are part of a block of rogue entrepreneurs tempted by the big profits of gun trafficking."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Xcentrix2 1,346,139
Ask Amy 2-6-16 7 min RACE 4
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min Jacques in Orleans 207,444
Earning money 58 min Promoter1978 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr mdbuilder 57,184
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Thelma Louise 7,279
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr Red_Forman 595
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages