|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

A few thoughts for Tonka:

The food allergy thing occured to me too. Wheat or dairy allergies were my first thought.

My sister recommended 123 Magic when we were having issues with Nunu. It was somewhat helpful, but both parents have to read it (or watch the DVD) in order for it to really work. They talk about Stop Behaviors (hitting a sib) and Start Behaviors (getting ready for school) and techniques for both.

But the thing that has really worked the best for us (an idea I got from 123 Magic) is using money for both types of behavior. They both have chores they do at the MIL's house and she pays them weekly if they perform the chores to her satisfaction. Then since I know they have money, I can say things like "If I have to pick up your dirty clothes, I'm going to charge you $1." Boy, do they ever scurry to do whatever when they hear that. Maybe you could pay him for good behavior; some amount for being good at school and some for at home.

Good luck. It's rough when you *know* they're good kids and smart enough to do whatever they put their mind to. It's just they're putting their minds to being naughty!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Thanks Toj! I was starving for some entertainment. My brain is already in weekend mode.:)

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Toj wrote:
Friend with jerky boyfriend letter: I'm about to sprain my wrist patting myself on the back for figuring this stuff out on my own! And I feel validated that I came to the same conclusions that Carolyn is offering.

Not that you guys weren't a HUGE help, of course.
:)

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Friend with jerky boyfriend letter: I'm about to sprain my wrist patting myself on the back for figuring this stuff out on my own! And I feel validated that I came to the same conclusions that Carolyn is offering.
You are just smart is all!

Did you see the letter on Hax about a son who came out to his mother and how it was humiliating to her? What a witch!

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see the letter on Hax about a son who came out to his mother and how it was humiliating to her? What a witch!
I know.
:(

I liked the follow-up letter from the adult gay man who shared his coming out experience.

The LW who considers a cruise to be "vacation hell" is baffling me. I can't wait to see if she answers Carolyn ("Have you been on a cruise?").

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Has anyone here seen Ron White live recently? I like his stuff when he was doing the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, but am wondering if he is worth $40-$50 tix 30 mins away.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the guy who was "dissapointed" his son came out? The commentors were saying "well, he should be more open-minded."

I don't think that's fair. So because you're not thrilled about your son being gay and you don't shout woo hoo and do backflips, you're close-minded? Or even worse, a homophobe?

It's exactly that type of attitude that makes gay supporters the close-minded ones, and bigots, and intolerant.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Still seems like a lot of pressure for a 6yr old.
Maybe they should do 1/2 the day, then give them the other half to improve upon it. Maybe he figures that if he is already in the red by lunch, whats the point?
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Its not so much an evaluation, but a progression. They start each day on green. And, as the day progresses, if they behave poorly, their color moves to yellow. As the bad behavior continues, the color ranking drops.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Maybe he figures that if he is already in the red by lunch, whats the point?
<quoted text>
I have days like that as an adult.
;)

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

word!
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I have days like that as an adult.
;)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Hax precursor on gay kids: I think she's nuts. While we as a society have reached a point where parents are accepting of their children if it turns out they are gay, I do not buy for a second that anyone other than some lunatic fringe is daydreaming in a positive way that theor kid might grow up to be gay. Would I accept and love my kids if they were? Sure, but it would certainly be a disappointing blow. One that I would internalize and immediately get over. I don't buy that there are any heterosexual dads or dads to be fantasizing about their boy becoming the next Dan Savage, Ricky Martin, Nathan Lane, or Lance Bass.

LW1: This chick is nuts. She has not even kissed him yet and she's trying to figure out how to change him? I would not even entertain the suggestion coming from someone I had not even been on a date with.

Lw2: let it lie.

Lw3: You're an idiot. She's getting a hall pass from work and wants to spend time with you and that's a bad thing? Cpme back when you have an actual problem asshole.

lw gay letter: hax spot on with letter response

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

hax:

What to do when friend seems to prefer one child over another?

I found it interesting how LW tried so hard to no use any gender specific pronouns(he/she) and instead kept saying Friend. My observation, which has nothing to do with the letter, this is a woman.

No man would feel the need to announce "We both work full-time" when talking about a friend.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Hax:
Long time gay, first time caller

That is how I'd imagine most men(who accept their kid is gay) would react. As I said above, Hax is living in another world if she thinks parents envision their kids will turn out to be gay.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Hax:
Guilt over leaving my job

Dude is underpaid compared to his peers? The company has no obligation to pay you more just cause other people negotiated better salaries. I imagine raises are probably a lose percentage across the board. If you want a raise and they won't give it to you, thn they don't feel your services are as valuable as you do. Yu're free to try to find someone else who agrees with your assessment of your worth. I find it interesting that you feel so upset over this pecieved slight that you are ready to leave for a very small increase...and feel guilty about it?

Dude is way to emotionally attched to this job.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
The LW who considers a cruise to be "vacation hell" is baffling me. I can't wait to see if she answers Carolyn ("Have you been on a cruise?").
Hell, I've been on 2 cruises this year. If their eyesight is poor, they can take me and I'll pretend to be their son.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Hell, I've been on 2 cruises this year. If their eyesight is poor, they can take me and I'll pretend to be their son.
Word.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Hax:
Guilt over leaving my job

Dude is underpaid compared to his peers? The company has no obligation to pay you more just cause other people negotiated better salaries. I imagine raises are probably a lose percentage across the board. If you want a raise and they won't give it to you, thn they don't feel your services are as valuable as you do. Yu're free to try to find someone else who agrees with your assessment of your worth. I find it interesting that you feel so upset over this pecieved slight that you are ready to leave for a very small increase...and feel guilty about it?

Dude is way to emotionally attched to this job.
I read this as the LW being a woman.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I read this as the LW being a woman.
Ok. Assessment is the same. This ain't kindergarten. They don't have to make sure everyone gets the same amount of cookies. In fact, it would behoove them to give you the smallest number of cupcakes they can get you to agree to.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

102 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,082,903
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 15 min Terry rigsby 48,979
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 41 min wojar 175,037
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 43 min Progressive 45,861
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr boundary painter 300
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr boundary painter 4,564
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr boundary painter 4,588
Abby 7-29 1 hr j_m_w 16
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••