Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#79066 Jan 25, 2013

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#79067 Jan 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
We have tried a number of things to attempt to modify his behavior.
-take things away when he misbehaves at school....
-The other day, I tried a new one. Put him to work...
-I tried the shame/disappointment/pointless card...
Thoughts? Suggestions? The floor is open.
Have you tried the belt?

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#79069 Jan 25, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you tried the belt?
That worked for me. I'm perfect.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#79070 Jan 25, 2013
It seems to me that 6 is pretty young to be the subject of daily evaluations.

What are his crimes?

I dont remember being so, but I have been told that if ridilin was around when I was a kid, I would have had an IV in my arm all day.

I think that unless he is disrupting the entire class( as opposed to insisting to color outside the lines) then just stick his desk in the hallway (I remember that lots) for an hour.

Please settle up with the secretary on your way out.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#79071 Jan 25, 2013
I dont know if it actually "Worked", I remember getting the belt, but not the crime that I did to warrant it.
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
That worke
d for me. I'm perfect.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#79072 Jan 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
It seems to me that 6 is pretty young to be the subject of daily evaluations.
What are his crimes?
Its not so much an evaluation, but a progression. They start each day on green. And, as the day progresses, if they behave poorly, their color moves to yellow. As the bad behavior continues, the color ranking drops.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#79073 Jan 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> what's the address?
I'm checking with that aforum to see how they want to do it. I suspect they'll want you to post your stuff in the previous day's column (we try to avoid letting the day's column go OT until the next column is up -- OT posts also are much less likely to get pulled if we do that)(we have short OT threads frequently, and it's rare to get anything pulled, but even then, the only thing that gets puled is the initial post, not the responses.

So when I figure this out (soon/today), I'll post more here.

You know, I was thinking that some sort of autism spectrum issue could probably be ruled out, because his over the top tantrums are so specific to certain issues, and I think if he had some degree of autism,(1) you would have known by now and (2) he'd have these sorts of tantrums more often, or about more mundane things.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#79074 Jan 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
WOw, shE'S GORGEOUS.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#79075 Jan 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Its not so much an evaluation, but a progression. They start each day on green. And, as the day progresses, if they behave poorly, their color moves to yellow. As the bad behavior continues, the color ranking drops.
I hear this from all my friends with kids. They start at green and it's on them to keep it that way.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#79076 Jan 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
\

I'd tap that!

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#79077 Jan 25, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>I hear this from all my friends with kids. They start at green and it's on them to keep it that way.
I don't always agree with some of the things that cause the teacher to move the kids out of green. Ry was moved into yellow last week because he had two chair legs off the floor. Seriously, that's a moveable offense?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#79078 Jan 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
SUBLIME LENGTH POST FOLLOWS
==========
OK, imaginary peeps. I don't usually come here seeking answers, but instead to be entertained and to share my brilliance with the rest of you. But seeing as how I went to the well today with the debt collector question, I figured I might as well go back to the well and solicit opinions, analysis, and advice from the arm chair child psychologists.
It could be a subject he isn't doing well at school that is affecting him. He could be getting teased at school and his behavior is showing the affects. It could be you and your wife have been more busier than usual (it seems you are really good parents but everyone has periods of super busy). Is anyone in the family ill?

If this is a new behavior -- at 6 they have soooooooooo much (for a kid) that is new.

I'd try sports. If he likes a sport that will keep him busy AND there are rules in sports AND if you misbehave then you can't play in the game (but never take practice away).

I dunno. I'd try sports. With boys that can cure a whole host of things (as long as the coach is good and it's something they like). I'd do soccer -- there is indoor soccer clubs and outdoor soccer clubs. But there's also hockey. Baseball usually doesn't have a long season, but you can mix baseball, basketball, etc.

Don't over-think so much. You won't know what the problem is unless he tells you and some kids don't even understand what the problem is themselves. So keep him busy for him to get on the right path.

Hope this helps.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#79079 Jan 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Its not so much an evaluation, but a progression. They start each day on green. And, as the day progresses, if they behave poorly, their color moves to yellow. As the bad behavior continues, the color ranking drops.
Tonka -- it might be the teacher, too. Your kid might be talkative and energetic and the teacher doesn't know how to calm the kids down except to give them a color. Boys are difficult to contain in school until they're about the 5th grade. They get better then. Their brains are not real good at self control and as long as he's not doing horrible, I wouldn't worry but yet still continue with your rules. Don't expect him NOT to get into small trouble. He's a boy. He has to learn, you're showing him the way.

:) Tire him out with sports. Man -- I'm a broken record!!!

“reign in blood”

United States

#79080 Jan 25, 2013
ABC reports only 30 Burmese pythons have been killed so far in the "python hunt" in the everglades. There are two weeks left.

GO PYTHONS!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#79081 Jan 25, 2013
A few thoughts for Tonka:

The food allergy thing occured to me too. Wheat or dairy allergies were my first thought.

My sister recommended 123 Magic when we were having issues with Nunu. It was somewhat helpful, but both parents have to read it (or watch the DVD) in order for it to really work. They talk about Stop Behaviors (hitting a sib) and Start Behaviors (getting ready for school) and techniques for both.

But the thing that has really worked the best for us (an idea I got from 123 Magic) is using money for both types of behavior. They both have chores they do at the MIL's house and she pays them weekly if they perform the chores to her satisfaction. Then since I know they have money, I can say things like "If I have to pick up your dirty clothes, I'm going to charge you $1." Boy, do they ever scurry to do whatever when they hear that. Maybe you could pay him for good behavior; some amount for being good at school and some for at home.

Good luck. It's rough when you *know* they're good kids and smart enough to do whatever they put their mind to. It's just they're putting their minds to being naughty!

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#79083 Jan 25, 2013

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#79084 Jan 25, 2013

Miami, FL

#79085 Jan 25, 2013
Thanks Toj! I was starving for some entertainment. My brain is already in weekend mode.:)

Miami, FL

#79086 Jan 25, 2013
Toj wrote:
Friend with jerky boyfriend letter: I'm about to sprain my wrist patting myself on the back for figuring this stuff out on my own! And I feel validated that I came to the same conclusions that Carolyn is offering.

Not that you guys weren't a HUGE help, of course.
:)

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#79087 Jan 25, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Friend with jerky boyfriend letter: I'm about to sprain my wrist patting myself on the back for figuring this stuff out on my own! And I feel validated that I came to the same conclusions that Carolyn is offering.
Not that you guys weren't a HUGE help, of course.
:)
You are just smart is all!

Did you see the letter on Hax about a son who came out to his mother and how it was humiliating to her? What a witch!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 7 min YesWeCan 68,355
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min sonicfilter 1,099,888
Abby 8-29 15 min edogxxx 1
Amy 8-29 19 min edogxxx 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 21 min SpaceBlues 46,295
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 28 min Donnie 177,357
Review: Anthony D S Grill (Jan '14) 43 min Aileen Rodriguez 6
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info