Comments
77,981 - 78,000 of 97,932 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#79024 Jan 24, 2013
If I want to hear Seger's hits, I'll turn ont he "classic rock" station at any given moment on any given day and there's a good probability he'll be on.

I would like to see ZZ top, because whiel I *loathe* what I've heard on the radio, blues fans tell me that their music really is more bluesy than their hits would indicate and that their live shows are great.
Sam I Am

Chicago, IL

#79025 Jan 24, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
This summer? I was there.
No, 2011.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#79026 Jan 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
If I want to hear Seger's hits, I'll turn ont he "classic rock" station at any given moment on any given day and there's a good probability he'll be on.
I would like to see ZZ top, because whiel I *loathe* what I've heard on the radio, blues fans tell me that their music really is more bluesy than their hits would indicate and that their live shows are great.
We saw ZZ Top a few years ago, and yeah, they were pretty good. Played like they still enjoyed what they do. And I didn't really appreciate their talent until hearing them live.

Location hidden

#79027 Jan 24, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
We saw ZZ Top a few years ago, and yeah, they were pretty good. Played like they still enjoyed what they do. And I didn't really appreciate their talent until hearing them live.
Do you watch Bones? "Angela" on the show, her dad is portrayed by one of the ZZ Top guys and when he's on, it's always a good episode.

Location hidden

#79028 Jan 24, 2013
Heh by the way, the coworker I briefly dated?(We're now very close friends, he's my closest guy friend.) He's got a new girlfriend and I'm thrilled for him. And her name is Angela Marie! HA!! He thiks it's funny as well!:D

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#79029 Jan 24, 2013
Question for the in house legal team[Sublime].

I just recieved a voice mail from a collection agency. The woman did not ask for me by name, but made it seem like it was a very importan matter and I needed to get back with her ASAP adding that this was an attempt to collect a debt.

To my knowledge, I have no outstanding debts. I looked up the name of the company online and as one would expect, I saw a few stories of rude and heavy handed tactics and threats as well as one person who said they were looking for someone else and accused him of lying about who he was. They ended the call demanding that the dude inform whoever they were looking for to call them, still acting like he was lying about them having the wrong guy.

From a legal standpoint, do I have any reason to even inquire as to what this is about or if they are even calling for me? Or can I safely ignore this and wait for notification in writing if there is indeed some legitimate debt they are trying to collect from me?

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#79030 Jan 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I just recieved a voice mail from a collection agency. The woman did not ask for me by name, but made it seem like it was a very importan matter and I needed to get back with her ASAP adding that this was an attempt to collect a debt.
To my knowledge, I have no outstanding debts. I looked up the name of the company online and as one would expect, I saw a few stories of rude and heavy handed tactics and threats as well as one person who said they were looking for someone else and accused him of lying about who he was. They ended the call demanding that the dude inform whoever they were looking for to call them, still acting like he was lying about them having the wrong guy.
From a legal standpoint, do I have any reason to even inquire as to what this is about or if they are even calling for me? Or can I safely ignore this and wait for notification in writing if there is indeed some legitimate debt they are trying to collect from me?
I'm not Sub, but I'd ignore the hell out of that.

When I first started working at this company, I replaced a girl who happens to have the same first name as me. So when I'd answer the phone with my name, I got a lot of people launching into their collection spiels for this other girl and I'd have to interrupt them and say I'm not her, she doesn't work here anymore, etc. So annoying, and I'm sure most of the collections agents thought I WAS her and was lying. But after awhile it finally stopped happening.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#79031 Jan 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
When I first started working at this company, I replaced a girl who happens to have the same first name as me. So when I'd answer the phone with my name, I got a lot of people launching into their collection spiels for this other girl and I'd have to interrupt them and say I'm not her, she doesn't work here anymore, etc. So annoying, and I'm sure most of the collections agents thought I WAS her and was lying. But after awhile it finally stopped happening.
Yeah. I'm leaning that way. I've been reading more stories about some of the crap they tried pulling. One person said they claimed to have an $8k debt to collect(but would take $3k). Person telling the story said she'd never had any debts in her life that high.

Agency not provide the name of the ofiginal creditor or any other info. Claimed that Chase bought the debt from someone else and she had been notified by the original creditor. But they slipped up and told her the date was 2003. She said that that was past her state's statue of limitations on debt collection, so that's another reason she ain't paying and they tried to threaten her with an $8K 1099 that year. Never followed thru.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#79032 Jan 24, 2013
THIS!!!
I aint Sub either, but I suggest you do nothing to give them any hint that they even reached a real person. They dont care if you are the right person or not. For months, I had a collection company leaving msgs for someone who was not me. This has happened a couple of times. The first time I was an idiot and called back to explain their error, and was deluged with all kinds of crap if I did not pay up! Now, I just delete it and go about my day.
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#79033 Jan 24, 2013
I'm fighting Great Lakes something or other because they're coming after me for $18K student loan debt that isn't mine. Letters threatening collections. Because I know they're a legitimate agency, I'm talking to them every time I get something and emailing them. I'm staying on top of it.

But in your situation? Yeah, ignore. I've heard of these companies going after completely innocent people, just figuring that X% will pay up.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#79034 Jan 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
WEll, I'm not your lawyer and to be honest I probably know just as much as you do, when it comes to what is legal or isn't legal.

Personally, I would call them back and tell them they have the wrong person (which is possible ... had someone call me onetime trying to collect a debt that wasn't for me and that is what I did ... they left me alone after that), so that they don't keep bothering you. Then if they are jerks to you, you can tell them to f' off. I don't *think* you have any obligation to call them, however.

Location hidden

#79035 Jan 24, 2013
WEll, after reading the experience of you guys and gals, maybe they left me alone because I told them I was a lawyer. It never impressed me, but it seems to impress some folks.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#79036 Jan 24, 2013
When I was pondering whether or not to call them back, an idea popped into my head. I have heard that call centers do not like being recorded and I have read that they often times will end the call if they find out they are being recorded, so I was going to use my phone's voice recorder and let them know at the start of the call that it may be recorded for quality assurance.
:)

Location hidden

#79037 Jan 24, 2013
Sub: I know lawyers who insist they get better/faster care in the ER when they mention they're a lawyer (when they have perceived that the staff isn't really aware of how serious the injury/illness is).

Tonka: I look forward to how this plays out.:)

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#79038 Jan 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Here is my 2 cents worth.

Google Federal Debt Collection Act and see if there is a Q&A section about abusive collection practices. Also check with the FL attorney general, probably at the state level, but maybe at the county level to see if there is a consumer protection Q&A on line or hotline

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#79039 Jan 24, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
WEll, after reading the experience of you guys and gals, maybe they left me alone because I told them I was a lawyer. It never impressed me, but it seems to impress some folks.
Yeah but I could look you up on a database to check that out and so could a collection agency.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#79040 Jan 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Sub: I know lawyers who insist they get better/faster care in the ER when they mention they're a lawyer (when they have perceived that the staff isn't really aware of how serious the injury/illness is).
Tonka: I look forward to how this plays out.:)
Right now, I'm just going to ignore it. My voice mail greeting does not give my name. The message left on my VM does not say who they are calling for. So I am going to ignore.

Location hidden

#79042 Jan 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I would have to be really, really, really, really, really mad before I threw that out. That is not something I throw out or share with folks, unless they are friends. I wouldn't want to be put in front of someone who got there before me or who had a more serious injury, just because I'm brandishing that I'm a lawyer, either. Doesn't seem right to me.

People treat you differently, usually for the better, but I prefer to be treated just like everyone else. I honestly wasn’t expecting that when I went and came out of school. I’ve had friends introduce me to friends and girlfriends and girls out at clubs/bars and say he’s a lawyer. I don’t care for that. It happens all the time.

Location hidden

#79043 Jan 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah but I could look you up on a database to check that out and so could a collection agency.
Yes, but I doubt the person had done so. I was fresh out of school. I told him so that he would believe I wasn't the person he was looking for ... not to throw my weight around. I don't like to do that.

Location hidden

#79044 Jan 24, 2013
When I received my last traffic ticket and went to court, the assistant DA and bailiff were lecturing me for not speaking up at the outset and telling them I'm an attorney.

Instead of telling them I'm an attorney and moving to the front of the line, I waited with everyone else, and after like an hour and a half, when they finally called name was called, instead of being meek and intimidated like everyone else, I was arguing with the assistant DA and telling her, no, I don't want to plead this, that, or this ... I don't want to take another day off of work to come in and argue with you in front of a judge about what happened and what the police man told me, verses what the ticket actually says ... I'm telling you this is what happened.

After she and the bailiff lectured me in private and told me I need to act like I'm somebody (really, I don't like that attitude ... like I'm supposed to walk into court like I'm Mr. Big Shot), she agreed to drop the charges, shook my hand, and gave me her number to call before going into court if I had any other problems.

So now, when I'm out with Bambi and I'm speeding and she gives me grief, I say, pffft, I'm telflon ... I'll just call "judy" if I get a ticket, lol! Totally teasing ... "Judy" did not imply that she would drop any charges I ever receive. That would be unethical. It's pretty funny, tho. Bambi can't say shyte!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Official Jonas Brother Chat Room!!!! (Oct '08) 3 min Madison Taylor Ho... 744
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 min TRD 68,369
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Incognito4Ever 1,100,173
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Jacques from Ottawa 177,375
Danger! It is horrible, rotten luck to hug a w... 29 min Preacher 3
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 37 min BoDidHe 49,477
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr SpaceBlues 46,313
Amy 8-29 6 hr Kuuipo 13
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info