Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you being so nasty? Your first post was confusing. If you had said that they were omitting any references to the twin towers, I would have understood what you meant. Instead you used the word scrubbed, which I took the same way Tonka did.
Don't get so defensive just because your post needed a follow up for clarification.
She didn't get a chance to fight with edog today so much. That must be it.:D

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Sammies on everyone's sheit list today!

Warms my heart when she proves herself to be a spiteful self centered beyotch.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

<sam sticks fingers in her ears>
MY KITTY!
MY KITTY!
MY KITTY!
MY KITTY!
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you being so nasty? Your first post was confusing. If you had said that they were omitting any references to the twin towers, I would have understood what you meant. Instead you used the word scrubbed, which I took the same way Tonka did.
Don't get so defensive just because your post needed a follow up for clarification.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

So... a guy drove his family in their SUV over a weak part of the ice this weekend and his 9 month old baby died today from being in the water for five minutes.(Driving on the ice of lakes and rivers is very common here.)

Idiot. Sadly, they probably won't prosecute him. "Oh, he's already been punished enough." That may be the opinion of parents, but as a nonparent, I don't think the fact that you accidentally killed your own kid should be your get out of prison free card. Youc an bet that if it were a nonparent responsibble -- a family friend driving everyone, for example -- they'd prosecute, even if only mildly.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Even for Sam, i must say i don't like it very much when everyone piles on someone. If I knew everyone was gonna pile on, I would have bit my tongue.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So... a guy drove his family in their SUV over a weak part of the ice this weekend and his 9 month old baby died today from being in the water for five minutes.(Driving on the ice of lakes and rivers is very common here.)

Idiot. Sadly, they probably won't prosecute him. "Oh, he's already been punished enough." That may be the opinion of parents, but as a nonparent, I don't think the fact that you accidentally killed your own kid should be your get out of prison free card. Youc an bet that if it were a nonparent responsibble -- a family friend driving everyone, for example -- they'd prosecute, even if only mildly.
I don't know. It's common. Lots of folks do it. It was negligent especially considering a baby was in the car, but it's my understanding (not my area, tho ... So don't quote me on this) that you need to be closer to reckless to be charged with a negligent form of manslaughter.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm being nasty? Really? IMSSO (in my self-serving opinion) my posts and the manner in which they (barely) escalated seem quite tame in comparison to some of the aggression and name-calling I see in here on a daily basis. The worst I did was to offer that he was (potentially) being obtuse as his initial response to me seemed to be nit-picky with the intention of inviting consternation, especially since others got what I was saying. If what I said was so bad, then I am certainly glad you did not have to (apparently) witness the sewage Race spewed at me.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I too think the "already been punished enough" is a crock, because then you're trying to evaluate how much someone cares. Some parents care very little what happens to their children, most care very much, but I don't think you can let that enter into the equation when determining how to punish someone. I personally think that putting your child in such a perilous position should be punishable. Whether or not the outcome was intended, the parent failed to take reasonable precautions to make sure it didn't happen. Stupid is not a defense.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
She didn't get a chance to fight with edog today so much. That must be it.:D
And just when I thought you were one of the good ones....

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Ahh...old footage.
Ok. I get that. Yeah, that's dumb and un-necessary. Seems to me it would make things less authentic.
Additionally, you know how many pizza joints would have to paint over the mural on the wall in the dining area if everyone just started weeping at the site of the twin towers?
They could just film it in a movie studio and not even go to NYC at all...

“Derecho”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
How is he to know the weakness of the ice? Driving on lakes and rivers is common? Is it legal? What defines an "accident?" Typically, aren't most accidents caused by some sort of carelessness by either the perpetrator or the victim? There are many ways an accident can unfold, it doesn't always mean the parents are directly responsible.
And I disagree that a non parent caregiver would be treated any differently.
And sometimes the punishment can be worse than the "crime." Take an established family man and make him a convict and send him to prison. Then his wife and kids, who just lost a child/sibling, now also "lost" their father/husband and have to leave their home and move back with her parents, and once he serves his "mild" term, he can try to rebuild his life as a convicted child killer. Of his own child.
Sound fitting?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

People drive where they don't know the facts, like whether it's a lake, or a big swelling in a river (which means the ice will be thinner). This guy drove over an area where locals knew the ice wasn't thick enough, because there's an underwater stream -- a curent.

And the dad had been drinking.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. It's common. Lots of folks do it. It was negligent especially considering a baby was in the car, but it's my understanding (not my area, tho ... So don't quote me on this) that you need to be closer to reckless to be charged with a negligent form of manslaughter.
Yeah, I know, it's a ver tough area of law. how can you treat it objectively? It's not really possible, not without going overboard in the other direction.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

And it's not like we can make a law that keeps minors out of cars that are driving across the ice (which people do for shortcuts in winter--but we have people who will do it within sight of open water) -- that would interfere with ice fishing. So there's not really anything they can do to prevent or decrease it, I think.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Once again, sam tries to absolve her own crass behavior by comparing it to someone Else's. I guess in her mind, that makes her behavior ok.

Someday maybe sam will actually apologize or acknowledge that he is wrong, but I aint holding my breath.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>I'm being nasty? Really? IMSSO (in my self-serving opinion) my posts and the manner in which they (barely) escalated seem quite tame in comparison to some of the aggression and name-calling I see in here on a daily basis. The worst I did was to offer that he was (potentially) being obtuse as his initial response to me seemed to be nit-picky with the intention of inviting consternation, especially since others got what I was saying. If what I said was so bad, then I am certainly glad you did not have to (apparently) witness the sewage Race spewed at me.
What RACE throws at you is "personal" (I throw that in quotes because AFAIK you haven't met IRL). It is way beyond nasty and I don't want to get in the middle of that.

Tonka and I rarely interpret things the same way. He wasn't rude when he responded to your post, but you reacted like he was picking a fight when all he did was comment on your remarks as he understood them. I know he doesn't need me coming to his defense, but I just wanted to say (as I would have earlier if I had been online) that I read it exactly the same way he did.

I have been around here a while, though I don't post much anymore. I don't usually get mixed up in the name calling. This past year has been pretty rough for me and though I do read the board, I don't always have the desire to get involved in the drama :)

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Oooh, action tonight! Keep it going tomorrow when I need to be entertained at work.
;)

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And it's not like we can make a law that keeps minors out of cars that are driving across the ice (which people do for shortcuts in winter--but we have people who will do it within sight of open water)-- that would interfere with ice fishing. So there's not really anything they can do to prevent or decrease it, I think.
I know that ice fishing is much more a part of the culture there than it is here, but did you hear about the two teenagers in NJ who died last week? The problem is that people aren't paying attention to how cold it is (or isn't).

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20130110/N...

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
People drive where they don't know the facts, like whether it's a lake, or a big swelling in a river (which means the ice will be thinner). This guy drove over an area where locals knew the ice wasn't thick enough, because there's an underwater stream -- a curent.

And the dad had been drinking.
If he was drunk with his kids in the car, then throw his a$$ in jail and let him rot.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>What RACE throws at you is "personal" (I throw that in quotes because AFAIK you haven't met IRL). It is way beyond nasty and I don't want to get in the middle of that.

Tonka and I rarely interpret things the same way. He wasn't rude when he responded to your post, but you reacted like he was picking a fight when all he did was comment on your remarks as he understood them. I know he doesn't need me coming to his defense, but I just wanted to say (as I would have earlier if I had been online) that I read it exactly the same way he did.

I have been around here a while, though I don't post much anymore. I don't usually get mixed up in the name calling. This past year has been pretty rough for me and though I do read the board, I don't always have the desire to get involved in the drama :)
Word (regarding the name-calling and drama). My earlier comment was a lame attempt to lighten things up.

I've had a rough few months too and I'm so grateful for the support and perspective I've gotten here. I'd hate to see our community fall apart.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 77,901 - 77,920 of97,440
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

38 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 min Rogue Scholar 05 173,660
Abby 7-11 16 min Mister Tonka 15
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 20 min RoxLo 1,072,453
Amy July 12 23 min PEllen 1
Abby July 12 25 min PEllen 1
NRA mouthpiece Wayne LaPierre quiet 1 hr Not nice 32
Police: 2 dead, 16 wounded in weekend shootings 1 hr Dont miss out 2
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at July 12 at 4:25AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs