Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#78900 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
So there's a new show, The Carrier Diaries, that is a prequel to Sex and the City, and it is set in NYC in the '80's, and they are scrubbing the footage of the Twin Towers. I disagree, strongly. Thoughts?
I agree with you. If it's set back when the towers were up, they should be int he picture.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#78901 Jan 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. If it's set back when the towers were up, they should be int he picture.
I completely agree with this.

Let's not pretend they never existed, people, come on.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#78902 Jan 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I still have my man card.
LOL!!

Miami, FL

#78903 Jan 22, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new s/article-2265402/Adventurous- human-woman-wanted-birth-Neand erthal-man-Harvard-professor.h tml?ICO=most_read_module
Nothing could go wrong with this plan, right? It'll be just like "Encino Man"...
THIS is what they're up to at Harvard?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#78904 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
So there's a new show, The Carrier Diaries, that is a prequel to Sex and the City, and it is set in NYC in the '80's, and they are scrubbing the footage of the Twin Towers. I disagree, strongly. Thoughts?
Yeah, WTF? They *existed* then.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#78905 Jan 22, 2013
Who...is cutting onions...in my office?

http://www.cnn.com/video/...

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#78906 Jan 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>How would I spoil it? I don't watch anything live except sports
90210 isn't broadcast live.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#78908 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
Considering that its a new show, your assessment did not sound right. If its filmed now, how would there be any footage of the Twin Towers to scrub? There isn't. I pulled up an article and they have decided not to film any shots that include the current World Trade Center.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope...

Now they ARE saying they did not want to include any shots that would remind anyone about the attacks. Did not want some 16 year old to start crying cause it reminded her about her dad dying, etc...

But regardless of that reasoning, considering that the current WTC in place of the Twin Towers did not exist during the time frame the show is set in, I don't see why this is even a problem.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#78909 Jan 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
90210 isn't broadcast live.
I don't watch any shows based on the broadcast schedule determined by the networks except for sports programming.

There. Fixed it for you.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#78910 Jan 22, 2013
Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll let you know if I get out there again.
Definitely!

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#78911 Jan 22, 2013
RACE wrote:
I was out in St Louis last week. Not bitter cold, but enough to remind me of how good I got it!
I was complaining about how cold it's been (35 last night) and the person I was talking to is in Wisconsin. She's like, "yeah,-6 here..."

Location hidden

#78912 Jan 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Now they ARE saying they did not want to include any shots that would remind anyone about the attacks. Did not want some 16 year old to start crying cause it reminded her about her dad dying, etc...
STUPID. stupid stupid stupid.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#78913 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
I think it's...disrespectful...to the people who died there, their survivors, and all the people who have been mired in (and died in) two freaking wars that resulted. Also to the American public in general because, you know, we have short memories and that wasn't a big deal to anyone or anything. Stupid freaking Hollywood.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#78914 Jan 22, 2013
EXACTLY!
by that logic, no WWII,Korea,Vietnam,Rambo or MASH movies either!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
STUPID. stupid stupid stupid.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#78915 Jan 22, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I was complaining about how cold it's been (35 last night) and the person I was talking to is in Wisconsin. She's like, "yeah,-6 here..."
While I was there, people kept warning me about the roads being "sheets of ice" as soon as it dropped down to 30 or 31 degrees. Ummm, no. The roads don't ice over as soon as the air temp drops below freezing.
Nice of them to be concerned for me, but they knew where I'm from so it seemed kind of silly.
I'm not complaining about their concern. Just thought it was funny.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#78916 Jan 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Considering that its a new show, your assessment did not sound right. If its filmed now, how would there be any footage of the Twin Towers to scrub? There isn't. I pulled up an article and they have decided not to film any shots that include the current World Trade Center.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope...
But regardless of that reasoning, considering that the current WTC in place of the Twin Towers did not exist during the time frame the show is set in, I don't see why this is even a problem.
You could have saved yourself a lot of typing if you read my whole post. The show is set in the '80's. The current WTC didn't exist. The twin towers did.

And I think the worry about a survivor's child is irrelevant. Millions of people have been killed in numerous horrible ways that are shown on TV and in movies every day. What happened at the Twin Towers was horrific, but you do it a disservice, I believe, if you scrub/ignore it.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#78917 Jan 22, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's...disrespectful...to the people who died there, their survivors, and all the people who have been mired in (and died in) two freaking wars that resulted. Also to the American public in general because, you know, we have short memories and that wasn't a big deal to anyone or anything. Stupid freaking Hollywood.
Agreed (in lieu of anonymous icon).

Location hidden

#78918 Jan 22, 2013
Also, it's insulting to assume that they're all such tender, delicate flowers who haven't coped with the loss of a parent from 11+ years ago. This is the same crap that had a teacher telling me I couldn't read "Kramer v. Kramer" in class (we had 10 minutes of reading in every class in 5-8 grade) because it might upset a kid with divorced parents. Really? A kid lived through a divorce but someone else reading a book about divorce might be too much for him?

Location hidden

#78919 Jan 22, 2013
Oh, by the way, Nick must have said “meme” in front of others, because he used the word again this past weekend and said it correctly.

Miami, FL

#78920 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
You could have saved yourself a lot of typing if you read my whole post. The show is set in the '80's. The current WTC didn't exist. The twin towers did.
And I think the worry about a survivor's child is irrelevant. Millions of people have been killed in numerous horrible ways that are shown on TV and in movies every day. What happened at the Twin Towers was horrific, but you do it a disservice, I believe, if you scrub/ignore it.
While I agree with you...

I think Tonka's point about filming is that if they are filming now, there's no way to get current footage of the towers anyway. But I think what we're saying is that they'd use old footage of the skyline, etc.

Did you see the movie Gangs of New York? At the end of the movie, they show a montage of the skyline over the years and you can see the towers come and go. Sure, it's emotional, but it's REAL. It happened.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,125,250
Abby 10-20 5 min Ralph 17
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 26 min Wondering 50,598
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 46 min HughBe 70,002
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr scirocco 68,642
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Learn to Read 179,283
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr grave digger 47,486
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]