Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#78918 Jan 22, 2013
Also, it's insulting to assume that they're all such tender, delicate flowers who haven't coped with the loss of a parent from 11+ years ago. This is the same crap that had a teacher telling me I couldn't read "Kramer v. Kramer" in class (we had 10 minutes of reading in every class in 5-8 grade) because it might upset a kid with divorced parents. Really? A kid lived through a divorce but someone else reading a book about divorce might be too much for him?

Location hidden

#78919 Jan 22, 2013
Oh, by the way, Nick must have said “meme” in front of others, because he used the word again this past weekend and said it correctly.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#78920 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
You could have saved yourself a lot of typing if you read my whole post. The show is set in the '80's. The current WTC didn't exist. The twin towers did.
And I think the worry about a survivor's child is irrelevant. Millions of people have been killed in numerous horrible ways that are shown on TV and in movies every day. What happened at the Twin Towers was horrific, but you do it a disservice, I believe, if you scrub/ignore it.
While I agree with you...

I think Tonka's point about filming is that if they are filming now, there's no way to get current footage of the towers anyway. But I think what we're saying is that they'd use old footage of the skyline, etc.

Did you see the movie Gangs of New York? At the end of the movie, they show a montage of the skyline over the years and you can see the towers come and go. Sure, it's emotional, but it's REAL. It happened.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#78921 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
You could have saved yourself a lot of typing if you read my whole post. The show is set in the '80's. The current WTC didn't exist. The twin towers did.
And I think the worry about a survivor's child is irrelevant. Millions of people have been killed in numerous horrible ways that are shown on TV and in movies every day. What happened at the Twin Towers was horrific, but you do it a disservice, I believe, if you scrub/ignore it.
I DID read your whole post and it did not make any sense to me. I interpret "scrubbing" as "editing out".

You said: "it is set in NYC in the '80's, and they are scrubbing the footage of the Twin Towers"

If it is being filmed today, then there is no footage of the twin towers to scrub/edit out. What exactly do you think I did not read?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78922 Jan 22, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
But I think what we're saying is that they'd use old footage of the skyline, etc.
Ahh...old footage.

Ok. I get that. Yeah, that's dumb and un-necessary. Seems to me it would make things less authentic.

Additionally, you know how many pizza joints would have to paint over the mural on the wall in the dining area if everyone just started weeping at the site of the twin towers?

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#78923 Jan 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Oh, by the way, Nick must have said “meme” in front of others, because he used the word again this past weekend and said it correctly.
Haha! Validation for you.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#78924 Jan 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I DID read your whole post and it did not make any sense to me. I interpret "scrubbing" as "editing out".
You said: "it is set in NYC in the '80's, and they are scrubbing the footage of the Twin Towers"
If it is being filmed today, then there is no footage of the twin towers to scrub/edit out. What exactly do you think I did not read?
Really? That's you're point? So either you're obtuse or just being argumentative. The point of my post (that everyone else managed to get) was that the show is set in the '80's and they're intentionally omitting the Twin Towers from shots that would have included the Twin Towers at that time. You're picking nits.

Don't be a Mutt, you're better than that.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#78925 Jan 22, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
While I agree with you...
I think Tonka's point about filming is that if they are filming now, there's no way to get current footage of the towers anyway. But I think what we're saying is that they'd use old footage of the skyline, etc.
Did you see the movie Gangs of New York? At the end of the movie, they show a montage of the skyline over the years and you can see the towers come and go. Sure, it's emotional, but it's REAL. It happened.
I have seen that movie, and apparently I did not make it to the montage. I do have it at home on DVD, I will be checking that out tonight.

Location hidden

#78926 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen that movie, and apparently I did not make it to the montage. I do have it at home on DVD, I will be checking that out tonight.
I didn't see the movie, but this montage sounds interesting!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#78927 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? That's you're point? So either you're obtuse or just being argumentative. The point of my post (that everyone else managed to get) was that the show is set in the '80's and they're intentionally omitting the Twin Towers from shots that would have included the Twin Towers at that time. You're picking nits.
Hey, I understood tonka's question and it's obviously beyond you. If the show is filmed today, then the current WTC Memorial tower would have to be "scrubbed" because it didn't exist in the 80s. What you "meant" to say was, the Twin Towers should have been digitally ADDED. Don't try to blame your screw up on someone else's reading comprehension.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#78928 Jan 22, 2013

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#78929 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
So, uh Tonka, I just gotta ask, are you still Sam's number one biggest fan? I remember when something along those lines was in your headline, when she first came on and started tangling with me.

I told myself at the time, that's not gonna last very long. I knew once I put the verbal smack down on her a few times, she was going to move onto someone else ... and she has ... she's moved onto every male who posts on here!

She gets along well with the ladies, tho. I'll give her credit for that. She wants to get in their panties, I think.

<pokes Sam with a stick>
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#78930 Jan 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I understood tonka's question and it's obviously beyond you. If the show is filmed today, then the current WTC Memorial tower would have to be "scrubbed" because it didn't exist in the 80s. What you "meant" to say was, the Twin Towers should have been digitally ADDED. Don't try to blame your screw up on someone else's reading comprehension.
TSTI.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78931 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Way to crank up the bitch meter for nothin. Sorry I'm not well versed in how films are made. Archive footage never crossed my mind.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#78932 Jan 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. Way to crank up the bitch meter for nothin. Sorry I'm not well versed in how films are made. Archive footage never crossed my mind.
Then you must have really been baffled by I Robot and how they got those "from the future" depictions of Chicago....

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#78933 Jan 22, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>Then you must have really been baffled by I Robot and how they got those "from the future" depictions of Chicago....
Why are you being so nasty? Your first post was confusing. If you had said that they were omitting any references to the twin towers, I would have understood what you meant. Instead you used the word scrubbed, which I took the same way Tonka did.

Don't get so defensive just because your post needed a follow up for clarification.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#78934 Jan 22, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you being so nasty? Your first post was confusing. If you had said that they were omitting any references to the twin towers, I would have understood what you meant. Instead you used the word scrubbed, which I took the same way Tonka did.
Don't get so defensive just because your post needed a follow up for clarification.
She didn't get a chance to fight with edog today so much. That must be it.:D

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#78935 Jan 22, 2013
Sammies on everyone's sheit list today!

Warms my heart when she proves herself to be a spiteful self centered beyotch.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#78936 Jan 22, 2013
<sam sticks fingers in her ears>
MY KITTY!
MY KITTY!
MY KITTY!
MY KITTY!
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#78937 Jan 22, 2013
So... a guy drove his family in their SUV over a weak part of the ice this weekend and his 9 month old baby died today from being in the water for five minutes.(Driving on the ice of lakes and rivers is very common here.)

Idiot. Sadly, they probably won't prosecute him. "Oh, he's already been punished enough." That may be the opinion of parents, but as a nonparent, I don't think the fact that you accidentally killed your own kid should be your get out of prison free card. Youc an bet that if it were a nonparent responsibble -- a family friend driving everyone, for example -- they'd prosecute, even if only mildly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min whatever 1,154,585
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 25 min Patriot AKA Bozo 49,255
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min wojar 181,938
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 48 min KiMare 51,267
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Yumpin Yimminy 68,897
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr Frijoles 71,138
French researchers find new strain of HIV virus... (Aug '09) 2 hr dango64 6
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News