Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Last night I copied & pasted Matilda's Lance quote from yesterday on a Facebook thread that was discussing him (without naming the source, of course). Fail on my part. Geez, people are touchy!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Yannow, we have to do something for the crazies: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/19/nyc-subw...

I don't know what but it there has to be a way to get those type of people institutionalized, on medication and functioning. With the laws now they have to do something awful (like this) to get any treatment.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

I love all this science stuff: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/white-veins-...

How cool is it that we can explore that.

Okay -- end of this geek post.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Toj wrote:
Yannow, we have to do something for the crazies: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/19/nyc-subw...
I don't know what but it there has to be a way to get those type of people institutionalized, on medication and functioning. With the laws now they have to do something awful (like this) to get any treatment.
Obviously, the only sensible thing to do is ban subway trains.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
I love all this science stuff: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/white-veins-...
How cool is it that we can explore that.
Okay -- end of this geek post.
Yay. We may have found evidence that water once might have existed on a far away, desolate, frozen desert planet..

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

j_m_w wrote:
Last night I copied & pasted Matilda's Lance quote from yesterday on a Facebook thread that was discussing him (without naming the source, of course). Fail on my part. Geez, people are touchy!
Yesss!

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:

You can't force people to take medication against their will. There are days that I feel there should be forced institutionalization, but then I worry about who would make that determination? Do you have to hurt someone before "they" lock you up? What about the eccentric people who will never actually harm another person, but make other people nervous because they are different? Can we lock people up because of crimes they may commit?

There have been several cases of people being pushes in front of subways recently. One woman in Philly survived, the two people in NYC died.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't force people to take medication against their will. There are days that I feel there should be forced institutionalization, but then I worry about who would make that determination? Do you have to hurt someone before "they" lock you up? What about the eccentric people who will never actually harm another person, but make other people nervous because they are different? Can we lock people up because of crimes they may commit?
There have been several cases of people being pushes in front of subways recently. One woman in Philly survived, the two people in NYC died.
It's like this now because in the past people were corrupt. I mean if you wanted to get someone "out of the way" it really didn't take much effort. Perfectly healthy people could be institutionalized for life on the say so of an angry spouse, greedy kid, whatever. Now...we over compensate in the other direction.

I do think that people can be compelled to take anti-psychotic meds but it takes a court order, so there's a process. It might depend on teh particular state law though. In Cali it works like that (or did many years...20...ago) because they did that to my sister when she was "ill." FTR she wasn't "ill" she was angry, which again, there you go, someone force fed anti-psych meds who didn't need them. <shrug>

Here in WA it's almost impossible for the parent of a kid over age 15 to get anything done with OUT a court order. I can't remember why they made that particular law, but IIRC it had something to do with a parent trying to get their under-18 year old committed against her will when there was no reason...abuse of "power." <shrug again>

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

In IL there is a Sexually Dangerous Person law. If you are convicted of a crime, not necessarily as ex crime I believe, the state can petition to have usu committed civilly, i.e., institutionalized. There is a pretty specific and rigorous procedure and the guys who are committed almost always appeal(which is when you can read the details), but they are kept locked up. They use psych tests and actuarial predictions.

I would like to see something similar for non-sex offenders to get some predictive incarceration.

There are ways around the old abuses.

It comes down to a balancing of the rights of the mentally ill to be in the least restrictive environment and the rights of the rest of society to be protected from a predictable harm.

It would not have stopped Adam Lanza because so far as anyone has said thus far, he was not on any professional's radar, but it might have stopped the kid in Tucson and the one in Aurora CO

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

What does tsti stand for?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Texas State Technical Institute
Temple Sharey Tefilo-Israel
Tatung System Technologies, Inc
Total Safety Task Instruction
Too Small To Investigate
Texas State Traffic Institute
Teaching Science and Technology, Inc

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Too small to investigate?

Don't bother me with little things

You are making a mountain out of a molehill

I don't concern myself with trifles, etc

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

PEllen wrote:
In IL there is a Sexually Dangerous Person law. If you are convicted of a crime, not necessarily as ex crime I believe, the state can petition to have usu committed civilly, i.e., institutionalized. There is a pretty specific and rigorous procedure and the guys who are committed almost always appeal(which is when you can read the details), but they are kept locked up. They use psych tests and actuarial predictions.
I would like to see something similar for non-sex offenders to get some predictive incarceration.
There are ways around the old abuses.
It comes down to a balancing of the rights of the mentally ill to be in the least restrictive environment and the rights of the rest of society to be protected from a predictable harm.
It would not have stopped Adam Lanza because so far as anyone has said thus far, he was not on any professional's radar, but it might have stopped the kid in Tucson and the one in Aurora CO
They have a law here where they can keep sex predators locked up indefinitely. Its a psych thing too but I don't know how they decide who is mentally ill/likely to re-offend or what have you. I'm not entirely sure how it works since they are always sending out sex offender release notifications; flyers telling the public, who, where, offense level, etc., so obviously they are letting them out. <shrug>

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Oh, I remember now (sorry, you should have put it into context). It's Sam's way of telling me I'm too sexy to insult.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Tonka used it in another thread and I saw it in another thread as well. Just curious.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Amazing! I've spent two evenings in a row with A and her boyfriend called a total of ZERO times collectively. I want to check the skies for pigs.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Tonka used it in another thread and I saw it in another thread as well. Just curious.
IIRC it's too stupid to insult.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

dahgts wrote:
Thanks Hgts girl.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

76 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min USAsince1680 1,078,898
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 min LRS 174,502
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 22 min truth 48,862
Amy 7-23 25 min Julie 9
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 30 min SpaceBlues 45,767
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 49 min TRD 67,891
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 458
Abby 7-23 5 hr PEllen 13
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 4:15PM CDT

•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs