Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#78820 Jan 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
yeah, no toby keith (I don't like his music but I do like quite a bit of country).
Chick fil-A: I'm as pro-gay as you can get, and I don't think I'd boycot them over this because my tastebuds and my tummy overrule everything. I haven't had it in 30 years (there's only one location here in MN and it's on the U of M campus), but it is DE-LISH.
Oh yeeeeaaah
I'm out near Seattle at the moment, but I think I need to head over there whenever I get home and get reaquainted.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#78821 Jan 18, 2013
I had to call the bank yesterady and got a guy in Cincinnati. I told him I was a huge reds fan as a kid. so we talked back and forth about the 1970s Reds. He said Pete Rose was and is a great guy, very approachable and friendly everywhere in town, and that Johnny Bench was the most standoffish of the big stars of that team, leaving kids crushed when he wouldn't sign autographs with the rest of the players.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#78822 Jan 18, 2013
Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm with you. What he does or doesn't do has absolutely no impact on my life.
At least he had the ball to admit what he did...

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#78823 Jan 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, he slapped stephanie around, plus a couple of others (I also believe alcohol was a key factor back then, and he's cleaned up since?).
All of that means I lose respect for him as a person, and I can still enjoy his music, but I don't know that I'd enjoy having him as a friend or dating one of my friends.
ITA. He's a douche and a half but the music is my only interest. If I *was* his friend (which I wouldn't be...) or otherwise part of his inner circle, I could see caring, likewise with Armstrong or any of the rest of them.

Like Jess said, if they make it so that their beliefs, activism, etc., can't be separated from their "artistry" then I might think about it. Otherwise, I just don't give a frick.

Kind of like worrying about asteroids as far as I'm concerned, i.e. there's not a single thing I can do to affect it, so why spend my precious little free energy worrying about something I can't change? Yanno?

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#78824 Jan 18, 2013
Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeeeeaaah
I'm out near Seattle at the moment, but I think I need to head over there whenever I get home and get reaquainted.
Near Seattle where?

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#78825 Jan 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>i won't listen to Toby Keith, so I think that evens things up. ;)
I love him and he puts on a damn good concert! But yes, he is another one who mixes his music and his politics.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#78826 Jan 18, 2013
hence you stand of Vick and the NFL. I see your point, but dont share it.

How about politicians who sell their office? Do they owe the public anything? Campaign on one side of the fence, then jump it and sell your neighborhood to big business so they can build a nuke plant?
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And that's where I would be a terrible public figure. I don't think he has any reason to ask the public for forgiveness. Make your deal with the cycling governing body. Make amends to the PEOPLE you wronged or lied to directly. After that, call it a day.
To me, Lance Armstrong is an entertainer. Cause that's what sports is. Its entertainment for the masses. Go out there an put on a show. It entertains me. Just like any other athlete, musician, actor, etc. What goes on behind the scenes is not my business. Lindsay Lohan is out there drunk driving? I don't care. That's for the law to handle. Robert Downey jr is on drugs? So what. He was great in Iron Man. His drug problem should be between him and the people in his life. Didn't he also go on Oprah to ask for forgiveness?
I do NOT believe the public has a RIGHT to know everything about every public figure. The public definitely has a thirst for it though.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#78827 Jan 18, 2013
Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just stupid(them, not you). I would guess they only said that in order to distance themselves from him, not because they thought they had a snowball's chance of getting any money back from him.
My stepson had a couple pro athletes who he really admired when he was a kid. I can't say I discouraged it, but I did encourage him to look at the whole person and not just what they did on the field and when one of them was in the news for something negative, we talked about that side of them as well. I have to say, I was really glad to have him look up to Robert Smith rather than Randy Moss, but the people he really considered heroes weren't celebrities at all. Frankly, those who choose to idolize someone because they are famous deserve to be disappointed when they inevitably find out their heroes have feet of clay.
Robert Smith? Are ou kidding me? Christ if you've gotta look up to a Buckeye, why pick Robert Smith when Herbstreit's right there? That guy Smith is just so annoyingly unlistenable. Hell Lou Holtz is annoying as hell but at least he's entertaining. Robert Smith is about as entertaining as picking poppy seed from your teeth.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78828 Jan 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
He said Pete Rose was and is a great guy, very approachable and friendly everywhere in town, and that Johnny Bench was the most standoffish of the big stars of that team, leaving kids crushed when he wouldn't sign autographs with the rest of the players.
I've heard the exact reverse about Pete Rose from more than one person who patronized his bar/restaurant in South Florida.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78829 Jan 18, 2013
RACE wrote:
hence you stand of Vick and the NFL. I see your point, but dont share it.
How about politicians who sell their office? Do they owe the public anything? Campaign on one side of the fence, then jump it and sell your neighborhood to big business so they can build a nuke plant?
<quoted text>
Politicians most deinitely owe the people. They are elected by the people to be the people's voice.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78830 Jan 18, 2013

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#78831 Jan 18, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Politicians most deinitely owe the people. They are elected by the people to be the people's voice.
I think some people view celebrities in a similar way -- as people who are supported by their public. The celebrity would not have a career if people didn't "vote" with their wallet or viewship.

West Palm Beach, FL

#78832 Jan 18, 2013
Happy hour with some work friends, awesome burger for dinner with A, and I'm home. Alone and unmolested. Win! I can do this.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#78833 Jan 18, 2013
I could molest... I would be happy to grop.... I could make you moan...
I would be happy to offer my services....
j_m_w wrote:
Happy hour with some work friends, awesome burger for dinner with A, and I'm home. Alone and unmolested. Win! I can do this.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#78834 Jan 19, 2013

West Palm Beach, FL

#78835 Jan 19, 2013
Last night I copied & pasted Matilda's Lance quote from yesterday on a Facebook thread that was discussing him (without naming the source, of course). Fail on my part. Geez, people are touchy!

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#78836 Jan 19, 2013
Yannow, we have to do something for the crazies: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/19/nyc-subw...

I don't know what but it there has to be a way to get those type of people institutionalized, on medication and functioning. With the laws now they have to do something awful (like this) to get any treatment.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#78837 Jan 19, 2013
I love all this science stuff: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/white-veins-...

How cool is it that we can explore that.

Okay -- end of this geek post.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#78838 Jan 19, 2013
Toj wrote:
Yannow, we have to do something for the crazies: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/19/nyc-subw...
I don't know what but it there has to be a way to get those type of people institutionalized, on medication and functioning. With the laws now they have to do something awful (like this) to get any treatment.
Obviously, the only sensible thing to do is ban subway trains.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#78839 Jan 19, 2013
Toj wrote:
I love all this science stuff: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/white-veins-...
How cool is it that we can explore that.
Okay -- end of this geek post.
Yay. We may have found evidence that water once might have existed on a far away, desolate, frozen desert planet..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min TheIndependentMaj... 1,110,456
Word (Dec '08) 24 min andet1987 4,717
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 59 min Frank 178,058
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,490
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr gcaveman1 46,675
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr Blwlgo 1,928
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) 2 hr Weneedchange 154
Amy 9-18 2 hr PEllen 26
Amy 9-16 8 hr ralph 58
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••