Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Smartphone + Pandora?
*fistbump* for hating Nickelback, but liking Bon Jovi.
Did I ever tell you guys my sorta-funny Bon Jovi story? I'm 11 years old, the summer that "I'll Be There For You" came out. I'm in my friend's pool, we're hanging out and listening to that song. Song gets to the part where it goes "these five words I swear to you...". My friend goes "I'll...be...there...for. ..you" as she counts on her fingers. "Oh, my gosh! It really is five words!"
I think of that *every* time I hear that song.
Oh, great idea about the phone and Pandora! Now that I have a 5, it can handle my needs.

HILARIOUS about the Bon Jovi song. I remember counting the words when I was 11 too (giving Jon a concession on "I'll" because it's technically a compound word) but I had the good sense to keep it to myself.
;)

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Matilda77 wrote:
Lance Armstrong could have admitted that a spider bit him and now he can shoot webs from his wrists and that still wouldn't change the fact that I don't give a crap about the Tour De France or bike racing in general.
Quite possibly the best post in this thread all week.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Speaking of responsible quotes from rappers....

The great theologian 50 Cent was quoted on the local Christian radio station last week. He said (and I have to paraphrase because I don't remember the exact quote) that you either worry OR pray, but not both. Because if you do both, how do you think God's going to feel about you?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And that's where I would be a terrible public figure. I don't think he has any reason to ask the public for forgiveness. Make your deal with the cycling governing body. Make amends to the PEOPLE you wronged or lied to directly. After that, call it a day.
To me, Lance Armstrong is an entertainer. Cause that's what sports is. Its entertainment for the masses. Go out there an put on a show. It entertains me. Just like any other athlete, musician, actor, etc. What goes on behind the scenes is not my business. Lindsay Lohan is out there drunk driving? I don't care. That's for the law to handle. Robert Downey jr is on drugs? So what. He was great in Iron Man. His drug problem should be between him and the people in his life. Didn't he also go on Oprah to ask for forgiveness?
I do NOT believe the public has a RIGHT to know everything about every public figure. The public definitely has a thirst for it though.
I'm with you. What he does or doesn't do has absolutely no impact on my life. The people who would have won the races, and got those huge endorsement deals, those are the people he screwed over, not me.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, great idea about the phone and Pandora! Now that I have a 5, it can handle my needs.;)
???
iphone 4 could not handle pandora?
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I do NOT believe the public has a RIGHT to know everything about every public figure. The public definitely has a thirst for it though.
I agree EXCEPT to the extent that a public figure trades and capitolizes on their image. If you accept endorsements and ask people to buy things because of who you are, and if you invite the adulation and special treatment, then you become accountable to a commensurate extent.

If you want everyone to buy your new album and you want to be on the front page when you hit the game-winning shot, then you cannot object to a like amount of attention when you beat your wife or don't pay child support or slander people and ruin their livelihood.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm with you. What he does or doesn't do has absolutely no impact on my life. The people who would have won the races, and got those huge endorsement deals, those are the people he screwed over, not me.
Speaking of endorsements, I saw something else that struck me as ridiculous to even consider. I guess one of his former sponsors has stated they will not go after him for the money they paid him cause it would make future endorsement contracts that more more difficult. My thought was, how could you even consider "goig after him" or think you deserve any of that money? You had an agreement that stipulated that he endorse your product and that was in the hopes that his endorsement would result in sales. I presume his endorsement, at the time, resulted in product selling. If they were to try to get money back from him, would they then give refunds to anyone who bought while he was their spokesperson? I doubt it.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Sam I Am wrote:
If you want everyone to buy your new album and you want to be on the front page when you hit the game-winning shot, then you cannot object to a like amount of attention when you beat your wife or don't pay child support or slander people and ruin their livelihood.
I want everyone to buy my album cause they like the music I recorded. Being on the cover of the magazine for hitting the game winning shot is nice, but that's about ego. I'm gonna hit that game winning shot whether I make sport center or not. And that game winning shot happened at an event you paid money to come see. Me beating my wife is not going on at the arena. No one sold tickets to that. That's between me and my wife. And teh cops and the judge and the kids. But its really none of YOUR business. You pay for your ticket to come tothe game and watch me play. You buy the album cause it gets you pumped while you are on the stair master.

I understand I'm probably in the minority on this, but I don't care if Mel Gibson is an anti-semite. I'm not his friend or associating with him. I only care if he makes good movies. When I watch Braveheart, I see William Wallace, not some drunk dude calling a cop sugartits.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
Speaking of responsible quotes from rappers....
The great theologian 50 Cent was quoted on the local Christian radio station last week. He said (and I have to paraphrase because I don't remember the exact quote) that you either worry OR pray, but not both. Because if you do both, how do you think God's going to feel about you?
"Worry is negative prayer."

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Sam I Am wrote:
If you want everyone to buy your new album
one more note on this example.

Axl Rose is a mysogynist. I think there were reports of domestic violence when he was with Stephanie Seymour. Nothing that I condone. But I love his music. When I listen to his music, I really could not care less if he smacked his ex around. It has no bearing on how I feel about his music. I buy the albums cause I like the music. I go to the shows because he puts on a good show. That's what I expect from these public figures. Give me a good value for my entertainment dollar.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
???
iphone 4 could not handle pandora?
I had a 3G (not even a 3GS) and while I had the Pandora app, it ran really slow. And every single thing I did on that phone killed the battery.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I want everyone to buy my album cause they like the music I recorded. Being on the cover of the magazine for hitting the game winning shot is nice, but that's about ego. I'm gonna hit that game winning shot whether I make sport center or not. And that game winning shot happened at an event you paid money to come see. Me beating my wife is not going on at the arena. No one sold tickets to that. That's between me and my wife. And teh cops and the judge and the kids. But its really none of YOUR business. You pay for your ticket to come tothe game and watch me play. You buy the album cause it gets you pumped while you are on the stair master.
I understand I'm probably in the minority on this, but I don't care if Mel Gibson is an anti-semite. I'm not his friend or associating with him. I only care if he makes good movies. When I watch Braveheart, I see William Wallace, not some drunk dude calling a cop sugartits.
ITA.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

A friend emailed this link to me:

http://www.rgj.com/article/20130116/NEWS12/13... -

Twin Belgian brothers in their 40s, born deaf, never married, lived together their entire lives, then discovered they both were going blind, legally had euthanasia performed on them in December so they wouldn't have to live on the assistance of others, and never see each other again.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>one more note on this example.

Axl Rose is a mysogynist. I think there were reports of domestic violence when he was with Stephanie Seymour. Nothing that I condone. But I love his music. When I listen to his music, I really could not care less if he smacked his ex around. It has no bearing on how I feel about his music. I buy the albums cause I like the music. I go to the shows because he puts on a good show. That's what I expect from these public figures. Give me a good value for my entertainment dollar.
It depends for me. I won't listen to Rage Against The Machine. They have made their activism as much a part of who they are as their music and I can no longer separate the two.

OTOH, I am more inclined to spend money on Sandra Bullock movies because of what I know about her as a person (she is very charitable).

It's not an all or nothing scenario with most people/artists, but I don't totally compartmentalize everything in my life.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>one more note on this example.
Yeah, he slapped stephanie around, plus a couple of others (I also believe alcohol was a key factor back then, and he's cleaned up since?).

All of that means I lose respect for him as a person, and I can still enjoy his music, but I don't know that I'd enjoy having him as a friend or dating one of my friends.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
A friend emailed this link to me:
http://www.rgj.com/article/20130116/NEWS12/13... -
Twin Belgian brothers in their 40s, born deaf, never married, lived together their entire lives, then discovered they both were going blind, legally had euthanasia performed on them in December so they wouldn't have to live on the assistance of others, and never see each other again.
Jasper was just telling me about this two hours ago.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends for me. I won't listen to Rage Against The Machine. They have made their activism as much a part of who they are as their music and I can no longer separate the two.
i won't listen to Toby Keith, so I think that evens things up. ;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Couple glues 39,000 pennies to their bedroom floor. It looks pretty darned cool.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/weird/NAT...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Gaaaaahd, I still have another meeting to go to after the one I'm in. Don't these people know it's Friday afternoon?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Couple glues 39,000 pennies to their bedroom floor. It looks pretty darned cool.
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/weird/NAT...
That does look cool! I bet it would be a pain to scrape off later, but, meh.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

67 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Flacks News 1,081,655
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 20 min Jacques from Ottawa 174,866
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 58 min danetoo 68,038
Abby 7-28 1 hr edogxxx 1
Amy 7-28 1 hr edogxxx 1
Interview with retired border patrol agent. Tru... 1 hr WOW That Realy Is Scary 2
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 4 hr TW_sugar_daddio 17
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 28 at 3:19AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••