Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#78781 Jan 18, 2013
Or yellow rubber bracelets...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#78780 Jan 18, 2013
Lance Armstrong could have admitted that a spider bit him and now he can shoot webs from his wrists and that still wouldn't change the fact that I don't give a crap about the Tour De France or bike racing in general.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#78782 Jan 18, 2013
Re: Lance Armstrong

I just don't get the general public's need for contrition.

Local newsguy asked the question, will you forgive Lance Armstrong?

And my answer is the same as when he asked it about Tiger Woods.

Lance Armstrong does not owe ME an aplogy. He has not done anything to ME. I have not been wronged by Lance Armstrong in any way. He juiced and won a bunch of races. How terrible. Did that affect me in any way? No. It affected the other participants. It affected the organizations who put on those events. I don't need my pound of flesh. I just don't buy into this idea that if you are in the public eye, that you owe anything to the public. You owe the people in your life who you directly affect by your actions.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78783 Jan 18, 2013
Someone showed me this today. Funny but true.

Ice T: "I have a sticker on my record that says 'Parental Guidance Is Suggested.' In my book parental guidance is ALWAYS suggested. If you need a sticker to tell you that you need to guide your child, you're a dumb fuckin' parent anyhow."
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#78784 Jan 18, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Lance Armstrong does not owe ME an aplogy. He has not done anything to ME. I have not been wronged by Lance Armstrong in any way. He juiced and won a bunch of races. How terrible. Did that affect me in any way? No. It affected the other participants. It affected the organizations who put on those events. I don't need my pound of flesh. I just don't buy into this idea that if you are in the public eye, that you owe anything to the public. You owe the people in your life who you directly affect by your actions.
Disagree strongly. You do not get only the good but none of the bad. When you trade on your image the way he did, you make yourself accountable. He accepted millions and millions of dollars in sponsorship money based on the image he cultivated and promoted to the public. He reveled in the attention, the benefits of his fame. And he lied over and over and over

He does not owe any particular member of the public an apology, but he owes the public as a whole an apology, especially since he is asking the public for forgiveness so he can try to reclaim some of what he's lost.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#78785 Jan 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Djs were talking about this this morning,a nd it was unanimous: He still was lying/holding information back.
I agree, I think the information he is holding back is that which will never come down to more than a one-on-one he said/she said. I do think he is coming relatively clean on anything associated with test results or where there are multiple witnesses to contest what he says, because he realizes he cannot win those battles.

I am going to stick with the whole thing being worthless because he's doing it with a gun to his head.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#78786 Jan 18, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Some guy was going on about this last night (on TV) and saying that he was just trying to "un-tarnish his 'brand' so he could get back into racing." Pfffttt. Even if that's true (and to some extent it likely is) wtf is he gonna do at this point anyway? He's old now and most people aren't all that interested.

They were making a semi-big deal about it on the Danny Bonaduce(sp?) radio show this morning (he has a show on KZOK here in Seattle)as if it really matters to most of the world. Some woman said it was "too little too late," as if it had personally affected her. I repeat...pfffttt.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#78787 Jan 18, 2013
I saw a Colbert Report clip where, speaking about Lance Armstrong, he says, "That man's a hero. He beat cancer. Then he went on to beat something even more unpopular ... the French." Lol

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#78788 Jan 18, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Someone showed me this today. Funny but true.
Ice T: "I have a sticker on my record that says 'Parental Guidance Is Suggested.' In my book parental guidance is ALWAYS suggested. If you need a sticker to tell you that you need to guide your child, you're a dumb fuckin' parent anyhow."
I was reading Ice Cube this week, and he said he talks with his kids when they listen to his music or other similar rap music, and re: bad language: "I tell them that no adult should hear them say those words. If they want to use that language among their peers, that's on them."

To him, it's all about context and an opportunity to talk about things, not a reason to ban music or forbid swearing.

Location hidden

#78789 Jan 18, 2013
The best part of the lance interview was, regarding a former teammate's wife: "She said I called her a lazy, fat bitch? I never said she was fat."

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#78790 Jan 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Tonight: drinking and smoking and gaming.
Tomorrow: More of the same.
Tomorrow night: Sitting on the couch with my ipad while NIck watches as much hockey as possible.
sunday: Repeat Friday and Saturday.
But along with all of that, I have some cooking and baking to do, laundry, cleaning, etc. Productivity!
How is the new apartment working out? Have you done baking in this kitchen yet?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78791 Jan 18, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
he owes the public as a whole an apology, especially since he is asking the public for forgiveness so he can try to reclaim some of what he's lost.
And that's where I would be a terrible public figure. I don't think he has any reason to ask the public for forgiveness. Make your deal with the cycling governing body. Make amends to the PEOPLE you wronged or lied to directly. After that, call it a day.

To me, Lance Armstrong is an entertainer. Cause that's what sports is. Its entertainment for the masses. Go out there an put on a show. It entertains me. Just like any other athlete, musician, actor, etc. What goes on behind the scenes is not my business. Lindsay Lohan is out there drunk driving? I don't care. That's for the law to handle. Robert Downey jr is on drugs? So what. He was great in Iron Man. His drug problem should be between him and the people in his life. Didn't he also go on Oprah to ask for forgiveness?

I do NOT believe the public has a RIGHT to know everything about every public figure. The public definitely has a thirst for it though.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#78792 Jan 18, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Lance Armstrong could have admitted that a spider bit him and now he can shoot webs from his wrists and that still wouldn't change the fact that I don't give a crap about the Tour De France or bike racing in general.
*fist bump*

Come on people, this isn't anything to get "testie" over! Get it? Testie? Because he only has one... eh forget it.

But yeah, I care as much about Lance Armstrong and the Tour De France as I do about... Snooki and Jersey Shore.

Location hidden

#78793 Jan 18, 2013
Matilda: ITA.

Sub: Nick loved your comment!

PEllen: I love my place. I need some sitting furniture, but I'm in no hurry. I've been cooking and baking lately. I also am finding that while I do not like doing dishes (no dishwasher), I'm coping just fine doing them every other day or so.:)

Miami, FL

#78794 Jan 18, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Smartphone + Pandora?
*fistbump* for hating Nickelback, but liking Bon Jovi.
Did I ever tell you guys my sorta-funny Bon Jovi story? I'm 11 years old, the summer that "I'll Be There For You" came out. I'm in my friend's pool, we're hanging out and listening to that song. Song gets to the part where it goes "these five words I swear to you...". My friend goes "I'll...be...there...for. ..you" as she counts on her fingers. "Oh, my gosh! It really is five words!"
I think of that *every* time I hear that song.
Oh, great idea about the phone and Pandora! Now that I have a 5, it can handle my needs.

HILARIOUS about the Bon Jovi song. I remember counting the words when I was 11 too (giving Jon a concession on "I'll" because it's technically a compound word) but I had the good sense to keep it to myself.
;)

Miami, FL

#78795 Jan 18, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Quite possibly the best post in this thread all week.

Miami, FL

#78796 Jan 18, 2013
Speaking of responsible quotes from rappers....

The great theologian 50 Cent was quoted on the local Christian radio station last week. He said (and I have to paraphrase because I don't remember the exact quote) that you either worry OR pray, but not both. Because if you do both, how do you think God's going to feel about you?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#78797 Jan 18, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And that's where I would be a terrible public figure. I don't think he has any reason to ask the public for forgiveness. Make your deal with the cycling governing body. Make amends to the PEOPLE you wronged or lied to directly. After that, call it a day.
To me, Lance Armstrong is an entertainer. Cause that's what sports is. Its entertainment for the masses. Go out there an put on a show. It entertains me. Just like any other athlete, musician, actor, etc. What goes on behind the scenes is not my business. Lindsay Lohan is out there drunk driving? I don't care. That's for the law to handle. Robert Downey jr is on drugs? So what. He was great in Iron Man. His drug problem should be between him and the people in his life. Didn't he also go on Oprah to ask for forgiveness?
I do NOT believe the public has a RIGHT to know everything about every public figure. The public definitely has a thirst for it though.
I'm with you. What he does or doesn't do has absolutely no impact on my life. The people who would have won the races, and got those huge endorsement deals, those are the people he screwed over, not me.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78798 Jan 18, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, great idea about the phone and Pandora! Now that I have a 5, it can handle my needs.;)
???
iphone 4 could not handle pandora?
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#78799 Jan 18, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I do NOT believe the public has a RIGHT to know everything about every public figure. The public definitely has a thirst for it though.
I agree EXCEPT to the extent that a public figure trades and capitolizes on their image. If you accept endorsements and ask people to buy things because of who you are, and if you invite the adulation and special treatment, then you become accountable to a commensurate extent.

If you want everyone to buy your new album and you want to be on the front page when you hit the game-winning shot, then you cannot object to a like amount of attention when you beat your wife or don't pay child support or slander people and ruin their livelihood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min Patrick 1,110,901
Word (Dec '08) 37 min andet1987 4,719
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 59 min andet1987 1,475
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Scrutiny 178,072
Amy 9-18 1 hr PEllen 36
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr The King of Dixie 49,857
Drop a letter lose 10 words ! 2 hr Anonymous5 22
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search