Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Nick reads a lot -- a minimum of half an hour every night, even with kids and a usy schedule.

It now comes sometimes before sex. because after sex, we either talk for a while (him mostly) or we go to sleep, and he loses out on reading time (he almost always reads in bed rather than elsewhere).

As a result, he reads words that he never hears people use in real life, and he mispronounces them. I try to fix only the ones I think would be the most embarrassing or the ones he's most likely to say to someone other than me.

This weekend he said "meh-meh" instead of "meem" (for meme). I didn't correct it. I'm gonna just let him say words whatever the way he wants unless it annoys me rather than finding it cute.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

By the way, I didn't know what "dookie" meant. Then I watched tosh.0 and saw "cannonball dookie."

“Derecho”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Uncle_Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought those were the kind of women you like... or is it only ok when they go home with YOU??
(Good to see you, Dog.)
Hey, I never said it was okay, just that I'm grateful.

And I don't turn the 20somethings heads anymore. I'm lucky to get the 40 or 50+ yo cigarette hags.

Maybe Jam should hang around people her own age and mentality level?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> I think its easy for us to judge because its not how we would conduct ourselves. But it could be his social circle's norm.
Kinda like the grandma having lunch with the grandkid and thinking the kid is completely rude for texting while they are having lunch as compared with the kid having lunch with one of his peers and doing the same thing, yet the friend thinks nothing of it cause the friend is doing the same thing. Just the way they roll.
True. My friend is 34, and the woman he's had 5-6 dates with and he are friends on FB. No way would I do that.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
This weekend he said "meh-meh" instead of "meem" (for meme). I didn't correct it. I'm gonna just let him say words whatever the way he wants unless it annoys me rather than finding it cute.
I had no idea that was how it was prnounced.

There have been some doozies that I have flubbed that way over the years . Epitome comes to mind but there are others that I have blanked out.

BTW, I read the same way Nick does. If he is collecting words, try The New Yorker. And the cartoons are really funny, too.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

As much as you guys rag on my man Stephen, I have learned more words reading his work than anywhere else.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
There have been some doozies that I have flubbed that way over the years . Epitome comes to mind but there are others that I have blanked out.
BTW, I read the same way Nick does. If he is collecting words, try The New Yorker. And the cartoons are really funny, too.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Tales from the Python Challenge.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/12/3179250...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RACE wrote:
As much as you guys rag on my man Stephen, I have learned more words reading his work than anywhere else.
<quoted text>
Nick reads Vince Flynn and John Sanford -- cop crime/dramas. I don't think it matters so much what you're reading, just read.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Nick reads a lot -- a minimum of half an hour every night, even with kids and a usy schedule.
It now comes sometimes before sex. because after sex, we either talk for a while (him mostly) or we go to sleep, and he loses out on reading time (he almost always reads in bed rather than elsewhere).
As a result, he reads words that he never hears people use in real life, and he mispronounces them. I try to fix only the ones I think would be the most embarrassing or the ones he's most likely to say to someone other than me.
??? Is he asking you how the words are pronounced? If not, how do you know how he's pronouncing it? Is he reading out loud to you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>??? Is he asking you how the words are pronounced? If not, how do you know how he's pronouncing it? Is he reading out loud to you?
He'll use a word in every day conversation. He mangles celebrity names, too.

The other day he pronounced "adamant" with the emphasis on the "dam" syllable. I bit my tongue.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The other day he pronounced "adamant" with the emphasis on the "dam" syllable. I bit my tongue.
Sea World has a water park called Aquatica.

Pronounce that.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, I never said it was okay, just that I'm grateful.

And I don't turn the 20somethings heads anymore. I'm lucky to get the 40 or 50+ yo cigarette hags.

Maybe Jam should hang around people her own age and mentality level?
Sadly, some - nay, most - of these people are in my age group.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>He'll use a word in every day conversation. He mangles celebrity names, too.

You're a better woman than I. There's no way I would have been able to restrain myself from poking fun at that.

I think it's great that Nick reads a lot though!
:)

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...I was just thinking aout how you operate with this, and it seems ackwrds to me, though I'm sure less annoying.

Not that I correct my wife when we're among others, but if she mispronounces somethng and its just us, I correct her. I feel like its helping her to not sound dumb if she repeats it to others. On the other hand, if someone else makes the same mistake, I tend to leave it alone cause I really dont care how dumb they sound.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Sea World has a water park called Aquatica.
Pronounce that.
Uh-KWAT-ica.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm...I was just thinking aout how you operate with this, and it seems ackwrds to me, though I'm sure less annoying.
Not that I correct my wife when we're among others, but if she mispronounces somethng and its just us, I correct her. I feel like its helping her to not sound dumb if she repeats it to others. On the other hand, if someone else makes the same mistake, I tend to leave it alone cause I really dont care how dumb they sound.
Well, yeah, he does it enough that I don't want to correct him every time, that just makes me kind of obnoxious about it, y'know? So I try to think "Oh, he's likely to use that word again with coworkers/friends, I should say something." Otherwise, I let it go, figure he's likely done this in front of other people, he's lived this long. It's only annoying when he disagrees with my pronunciation -- because I'm right every time. We haven't gone so far as to "let's look it up right now" though.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-KWAT-ica.
A friend told me how one of his friends pronounce it.

ah-kwa-TEEK-uh

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>A friend told me how one of his friends pronounce it.
ah-kwa-TEEK-uh
I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one.
This made me spit on my iPad.

“Derecho”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

“Derecho”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously?

Here's an idea for next year's stocking stuffer: Hooked on Phonics.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 77,581 - 77,600 of97,427
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

101 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Paolo Scalari 1,071,488
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,549
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 min HughBe 68,119
Abigail July 9 2014 6 min Julie 13
lawer matthew .scott .vanderpool i need (Jul '11) 29 min freddy 19
Would you do me a favor please? 49 min Asking Nicely 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 54 min Hetero 48,678
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search