Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RACE wrote:
As much as you guys rag on my man Stephen, I have learned more words reading his work than anywhere else.
<quoted text>
Nick reads Vince Flynn and John Sanford -- cop crime/dramas. I don't think it matters so much what you're reading, just read.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Nick reads a lot -- a minimum of half an hour every night, even with kids and a usy schedule.
It now comes sometimes before sex. because after sex, we either talk for a while (him mostly) or we go to sleep, and he loses out on reading time (he almost always reads in bed rather than elsewhere).
As a result, he reads words that he never hears people use in real life, and he mispronounces them. I try to fix only the ones I think would be the most embarrassing or the ones he's most likely to say to someone other than me.
This weekend he said "meh-meh" instead of "meem" (for meme). I didn't correct it. I'm gonna just let him say words whatever the way he wants unless it annoys me rather than finding it cute.
??? Is he asking you how the words are pronounced? If not, how do you know how he's pronouncing it? Is he reading out loud to you?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>??? Is he asking you how the words are pronounced? If not, how do you know how he's pronouncing it? Is he reading out loud to you?
He'll use a word in every day conversation. He mangles celebrity names, too.

The other day he pronounced "adamant" with the emphasis on the "dam" syllable. I bit my tongue.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The other day he pronounced "adamant" with the emphasis on the "dam" syllable. I bit my tongue.
Sea World has a water park called Aquatica.

Pronounce that.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, I never said it was okay, just that I'm grateful.

And I don't turn the 20somethings heads anymore. I'm lucky to get the 40 or 50+ yo cigarette hags.

Maybe Jam should hang around people her own age and mentality level?
Sadly, some - nay, most - of these people are in my age group.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>He'll use a word in every day conversation. He mangles celebrity names, too.

You're a better woman than I. There's no way I would have been able to restrain myself from poking fun at that.

I think it's great that Nick reads a lot though!
:)

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...I was just thinking aout how you operate with this, and it seems ackwrds to me, though I'm sure less annoying.

Not that I correct my wife when we're among others, but if she mispronounces somethng and its just us, I correct her. I feel like its helping her to not sound dumb if she repeats it to others. On the other hand, if someone else makes the same mistake, I tend to leave it alone cause I really dont care how dumb they sound.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Sea World has a water park called Aquatica.
Pronounce that.
Uh-KWAT-ica.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm...I was just thinking aout how you operate with this, and it seems ackwrds to me, though I'm sure less annoying.
Not that I correct my wife when we're among others, but if she mispronounces somethng and its just us, I correct her. I feel like its helping her to not sound dumb if she repeats it to others. On the other hand, if someone else makes the same mistake, I tend to leave it alone cause I really dont care how dumb they sound.
Well, yeah, he does it enough that I don't want to correct him every time, that just makes me kind of obnoxious about it, y'know? So I try to think "Oh, he's likely to use that word again with coworkers/friends, I should say something." Otherwise, I let it go, figure he's likely done this in front of other people, he's lived this long. It's only annoying when he disagrees with my pronunciation -- because I'm right every time. We haven't gone so far as to "let's look it up right now" though.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-KWAT-ica.
A friend told me how one of his friends pronounce it.

ah-kwa-TEEK-uh

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>A friend told me how one of his friends pronounce it.
ah-kwa-TEEK-uh
I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one.
This made me spit on my iPad.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I had no idea that was how it was prnounced.
Seriously?

Here's an idea for next year's stocking stuffer: Hooked on Phonics.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh dear, that is sad.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously?
Here's an idea for next year's stocking stuffer: Hooked on Phonics.
Dear Ed Ogxx...

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Your age, but definitely not your maturity group...
Maybe you should be looking for new friends at a frat party. At least they would have the excuse of youth for their drama.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Ed Ogxx...
That's Edo-G (the x's are silent)

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Uncle_Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama admitted he was being naive at the time, so yeah... I'd call him "Buck Obama". The other difference is we weren't struggling to get out of a recession in 2006.
Oh, I think he knew all too well what failing to raise the debt ceiling at that time would have meant. Are we really supposed to believe that he had no clue that defaulting on our debt obligations in 2006 would have had dire consequences? Please. If he was that naïve, he had no business running for President a mere year later and being elected 2 years later.
Uncle_Joe wrote:
<quoted text>"I think that it’s important to understand the vantage point of a Senator versus the vantage point of a President. When you’re a Senator, traditionally what’s happened is this is always a lousy vote. Nobody likes to be tagged as having increased the debt limit for the United States by a trillion dollars… As President, you start realizing, "You know what? We– we can’t play around with this stuff. This is the full faith in credit of the United States." And so that was just a example of a new Senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country. And I’m the first one to acknowledge it."
He can say what he wants to now, but he just sounds like a hypocrite to me. It's pure politics.

Also, his comments ignore the fact that we wouldn’t have to play around with the debt ceiling or have a fight if he would put something on the table in terms of cuts. He doesn’t want to put anything on the table. He just wants to keep spending us into oblivion and expects Republicans to just go along with him.
Uncle_Joe wrote:
<quoted text>Throwing dueling quotes won't change the fact that a sudden pull back on government spending is likely to kill any recovery we have. We need long term deficit reduction & it needs to include military spending as well as domestic programs. It also needs to include more revenue. Spending is high as percentage of GDP, but revenue is at a post WWII low as a percentage of GDP. Obama has said as much. The Tea Party is in denial about the cost of having a nation worth being a citizen of.
Who said anything about drastic cuts, right now? How about we just start with some cuts? As of now, there are no cuts on the table to non-discretionary spending programs and he has never given any indication that he will ever be serious about cuts. Instead, Obama spent his whole campaign deceiving Americans and doing nothing except talking about taxing folks making over 250k, which is nothing more than sticking our finger in the dyke.

I'll say it again, every economist with any credibility has said we cannot get out of our debt situation with just tax cuts or just spending cuts. We need a combination of the two. We've already raised taxes a little bit (and we will need to raise them more). Now is the time for a little bit of spending cuts....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Called her? You know how many people avoid the phone(for calls) at all costs nowadays and text instead.
Yeah, but at first, I would have called her.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And I don't turn the 20somethings heads anymore. I'm lucky to get the 40 or 50+ yo cigarette hags.
LMAO

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago