Comments
77,501 - 77,520 of 97,932 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#78537 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
So it is like pulling teeth to have to try to walk the computer illiterate thru a process over the phone. You can't see the screen and have no idea if they are actually doing what you are telling them to do. Walking my mom thru stuff when she's sitting next to me is easy. But when the rubber hitsthe road and she is at her house, big fail. Tried last night and have no idea what she was doing, but I know she was not doing what I told her cause the expected outcome was not happening.
Solution: I found a program that records my computer screen and my voice. I made a few how to videos showing her how to perform a few simple tasks. Maybe by having those to refer to as much as she wants, the concepts will sink in and she can combine some of those tasks and get some stuff done.
Can you get one of theose programs that allows remote access to her computer like my IT department has?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#78538 Jan 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
You should just remote desktop in and fix it for her.
<quoted text>
J does that for my MIL. It's saved him countless hours of driving.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#78539 Jan 14, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Can you get one of theose programs that allows remote access to her computer like my IT department has?
I have not played with one of those in a while. Last time I tried it out, found that I would need to configure her router to allow the pc to pc connection. Considering I'd have to walk her thru configuring the router, that ain't happening. Not sure if thre's any software like that that requires less configuration. Have not looked into it in a few years.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#78540 Jan 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
You should just remote desktop in and fix it for her.
<quoted text>
This is what I was going to say, and even if it's not "fixing" things you could still remote in and show her. Screen sharing would save you a lot of headaches. I know because I've had to explain how to do stuff with Jasper and it's really frustrating when you can't see what the other person sees. Luckily it's not frequently enough that I would actually need remote desktop, which is good because while I'm more computer literate than he is, I'm not good enough to set that up.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#78541 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
So it is like pulling teeth to have to try to walk the computer illiterate thru a process over the phone. You can't see the screen and have no idea if they are actually doing what you are telling them to do. Walking my mom thru stuff when she's sitting next to me is easy. But when the rubber hitsthe road and she is at her house, big fail. Tried last night and have no idea what she was doing, but I know she was not doing what I told her cause the expected outcome was not happening.
Solution: I found a program that records my computer screen and my voice. I made a few how to videos showing her how to perform a few simple tasks. Maybe by having those to refer to as much as she wants, the concepts will sink in and she can combine some of those tasks and get some stuff done.
I would not be good at instructing someone like that either.

I have a new computer ordered. Laptop. HP with the new AMD A8 chip. 1 terabyte of HD space. Quad core. Full version MS Office with computer lifetime computer virus and computer lifetime help 24/7 with a life advisor or by chat. I went with the 15" b/c I want it portable.

My old one is on it's last legs and this computer was a sweet, special deal that I could not pass up.

I'm a little excited about it.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78542 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>There's nothing to fix. Its not a case of something not working. Its a case of her not remembering how to do stuff.
So someone judged this mean and incendiary? Really? How so?

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#78543 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> So someone judged this mean and incendiary? Really? How so?
Who did you tick off? There are mean faces on most of your posts -- spilling to other threads.

Hit the ignore button on it.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#78544 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>There's nothing to fix. Its not a case of something not working. Its a case of her not remembering how to do stuff.
Whoever gave you those mean judgements must not have went through what you do. I did. I would sit with my mom and show her and make her do it over and over again. then later she said i never showed her whatever. the xp remote function never worked for us. she was in her 80's tho so i had to cut her some slack cause i did give her a lot of credit for even tackling the computer. she was pretty good, she emailed, bought things, checked her bank account and printed up the best greeting cards, but lost toolbars.

So you have my sympathy and understanding, at least for this.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#78545 Jan 14, 2013
nah-nah!
Tonka has a troll!
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> So someone judged this mean and incendiary? Really? How so?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78546 Jan 14, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Who did you tick off? There are mean faces on most of your posts -- spilling to other threads.
Hit the ignore button on it.
Don't bother me none. But it piqued my interest. Just curious as to how someone could find that mean.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78547 Jan 14, 2013
Maybe I could go on a Sublime-esque rant defending myself against the icon clicker....

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#78548 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Maybe I could go on a Sublime-esque rant defending myself against the icon clicker....
Yes! Tonka style. Let's "hear" how you would do that.:)

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78549 Jan 14, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! Tonka style. Let's "hear" how you would do that.:)
I'd need help. I saw his rant last week. I don't know that many words.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#78550 Jan 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
High capacity magazines have also skyrocketed. a dual drum 100 round capacity used to go for about $85 is now $350.
This is crazy. I wouldn't use one of them if someone gave it to me, because they are so unreliable and are almost guaranteed to jam. You are far better off with multiple clips that hold fewer rounds. The 100-round drum may look bad-azz, but are more likely to get you killed. Keep 'em legal, and let the idiots waste their money on them.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#78551 Jan 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
Mandatory military service for all citizens, just like the Israelis. <quoted text>
I am all for the idea of mandatory service, but not just military. I would love to see EVERYONE do a 2-year service commitment, with the option of either military or a community service type of thing...inner city tutoring, building homes in Appalacia, whatever. Not everyone belongs in the military, and frankly, I don't want to have to deal with those who don't. I get enough of them who enlist, without having to train and supervise people forced to be here (a nightmare, for me), but everyone has something to offer, and it would be good for people to give hands-on assistance to others, instead of just talking about how tax dollars should be used.
No waivers. No deferments. You turn 18, you serve your country for 2 years.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#78552 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> I'd need help. I saw his rant last week. I don't know that many words.
:D Too funny!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#78553 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> I don't know that many words.
You have something in common with the icon clickers. Do you say "duh" a lot too?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#78554 Jan 14, 2013
That would not surprise me at all.
Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
This is crazy. I wouldn't use one of them if someone gave it to me, because they are so unreliable and are almost guaranteed to jam. You are far better off with multiple clips that hold fewer rounds. The 100-round drum may look bad-azz, but are more likely to get you killed. Keep 'em legal, and let the idiots waste their money on them.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78555 Jan 14, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have something in common with the icon clickers. Do you say "duh" a lot too?
Nah. I just stare out the window and drool all over myself.
Icon Clicker

Greensboro, NC

#78556 Jan 14, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
im knot dum Sublime

i duh duh no a lott of werds two

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 min 40ish 4,670
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min EasyEed 1,100,210
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 14 min wojar 177,384
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 22 min Crazy Jae 1,451
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 23 min Crazy Jae 568
Word (Dec '08) 30 min Crazy Jae 4,651
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 39 min _Zoey_ 7,748
Amy 8-29 8 hr Kuuipo 13
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••