Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

In light of our recent discussion on phones and picking up or ignoring, I thought this was a funny app.

http://lifehacker.com/5975287/last-message-te...

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>No, just running through the gamut of gun stories. Apparently you missed the purpose of my post (my apologies, I forgot you need things spelled out for you) which is that guns do far more bad than good.
What was the purpose of your post? You pointed to a shooting incident where a person used a shotgun to kill two people to support your agenda.

The problem is, I've never once seen you state that shotguns and other guns used for hunting should be banned? Same for handguns. Are you now saying that these guns should be banned too? I think even Obama and Biden would call that extreme. If you are not advocating that, I don't know why you would refer to an incident where a shotgun was used to support your view that assault rifles should be.

What's next ... are you gonna start referring to knife attacks to suggest that assault rifles should be banned? Lol

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>A CRS Report on Congressional Pensions issued Feb 9, 207 states, in pertinent part:
Members of Congress are eligible for a pension
at age 62 if they have completed at least five years of service. Members are eligible
for a pension at age 50 if they have completed 20 years of service, or at any age after
completing 25 years of service. The amount of the pension depends on years of
service and the average of the highest three years of salary. By law, the starting
amount of a Member’s retirement annuity may not exceed 80% of his or her final
salary.
As of October 1, 2006, 413 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal
pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service. Of this number, 290
had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $60,972.
A total of 123 Members had retired with service under both CSRS and FERS or with
service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $35,952 in 2006.

Therefore Jesse Jr will get his pension when he turns 62. I am not sure if he is 50 yet.

I belive the base slaary for Reps is $158,000. When he turns 62 he would get no more than 80% of that or $126,400 and prbably something a little less based on the past year averaging system noted elsewhere in the memo. Taxable, but not bad. If he lives that long.

I have not looked up what Sandi gets as a resigned alderman, if anything.
They are both crooks. He shouldn't get anything. He was paying her hundreds of thousands to be his "advisor." He was basically using campaign money for personal use.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Look out, downtown! My binoculars are due to arrive on Monday.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Ha! Gilbert god fried is on YouTube reading from 50 shades of grey.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Ugh, I just saw the guy I blew off two weeks ago in the lobby of my building. This was the night my friend went home with his friend, who lives here. Now I see how one bad night can haunt a person - and I didn't even do anything!

Thank goodness I didn't have my dogs with me, they're all about going up to people to say hi. I was by myself and he was talking to the front desk guy so I'm pretty sure I walked by unnoticed.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

But really my point is that regular old civilians are just as capable of proper weapons handling, use, and saftey as any leo or service member, active or otherwise.

To suggest otherwise is nonsense.

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Retired service people are not just regular old civilians, which is what I said.
But really my point was more for edog and his attempt to provoke Sam.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

RACE wrote:
But really my point is that regular old civilians are just as capable of proper weapons handling, use, and saftey as any leo or service member, active or otherwise.
To suggest otherwise is nonsense.
<quoted text>
I don't think I said otherwise, but I'm sick and not tracking very well.

How do you propose we make sure everyone gets that training?

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Mandatory military service for all citizens, just like the Israelis.
Unless of course you think its a violation of someones rights to be asked to serve in the defense of their country.

How about firearm safety is taught in schools? I had to take music class even though I knew I would never play in instrument.

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

PS, hope you feel better squishy!

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

RACE wrote:
Unless of course you think its a violation of someones rights to be asked to serve in the defense of their country.
How about firearm safety is taught in schools? I had to take music class even though I knew I would never play in instrument.
<quoted text>
I approve of both those ideas.

Make it so.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

RACE wrote:
PS, hope you feel better squishy!
Yeah, so do I.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

See, this is why you are a hottie.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Make it so.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw one of those talk show that someone had a really great idea on at least the type of assault weapons that aren't used for hunting nor home security (IRL), for people who like to shoot them for sport.

You can have clubs and you are allowed to shoot them at those gun clubs but they are kept there under lock and key. Accounting for. I thought that was a good idea or at least someone thinking of a way to have various guns that people may like so you don't outlaw but yet control.

It was an avid gun owner that said this. That is the type of thinking, outside the box, that I think people need to be thinking of instead of purely "you can't have any of my guns".

But I thought people on here wanted the gun talk to subside -- so sorry for keeping it going. ;)

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
For various reasons not everyone can serve in the military. It's very easy to put down someone who doesn't serve in the miltary but there are various reasons why people cannot. From medical conditions to having elders or children to care for and lots of things in between.

Firearm safety in schools? Right.(sarcasm) Although I could see a firearm safety school that you have to attend if you want to be a gun owner in order to get your FOID card.

Yes, the bad guys would side step this and shoot off guns without FOID cards. You have appropriate punishments for those type of actions.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Make it so.
So, let's say someone cannot serve in the military b/c of some medical condition or personal situation that has nothing to do with hand-eye coordination nor eyesight. I think it would be unfair for them not to be able to own a gun if they so choose and do all the things that a gun owner needs to do. Yep, I said that. Unfair. There are many reasons why we do not have a draft and I think it would be a huge, huge mistake for the country to go that way.

My hats off to the men and women who serve, but not everyone is fit or can do so for many reasons. Does NOT make them less patriotic.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Gee, how come the Israelis dont have these problems?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text> For various reasons not everyone can serve in the military. It's very easy to put down someone who doesn't serve in the miltary but there are various reasons why people cannot. From medical conditions to having elders or children to care for and lots of things in between.
Why (sarcasm) what is wrong with teaching firearm safety is school? What is your objection to it?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text> Firearm safety in schools? Right.(sarcasm)
The bad guys already skirt the law, and there are already punishments in place for them, so your foid idea is usless and serves only to harass me and other law abiding citizens.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, the bad guys would side step this and shoot off guns without FOID cards. You have appropriate punishments for those type of actions.
Bad guys Shoot off guns??? What a simplistic attitude, they dont just shoot them off honey, they kill people with them. What color is the sky in your world?

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
So, let's say someone cannot serve in the military b/c of some medical condition or personal situation that has nothing to do with hand-eye coordination nor eyesight. I think it would be unfair for them not to be able to own a gun if they so choose and do all the things that a gun owner needs to do. Yep, I said that. Unfair. There are many reasons why we do not have a draft and I think it would be a huge, huge mistake for the country to go that way.
My hats off to the men and women who serve, but not everyone is fit or can do so for many reasons. Does NOT make them less patriotic.
There are other ways of serving your country; teaching, social work, nursing. I'm too feverish to make a cogent argument, but I think that in general we take this country for granted.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Just because someone is fat and lazy does not mean they cannot serve in the military. That is a cop out. The military has virtually every type of job the private sector does, from ditch digging to aircraft pilot, and many more that the private sector does not. The only thing the military does not offer is welfare.

A person in a wheelchair should be able to serve their country in some capacity, not in the trenches, but in a support position.

The only people who should not be allowed to serve are the same group that are not allowed to have guns anyway, felons and crazies.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 77,461 - 77,480 of97,514
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

122 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Buroc Millhouse Obama 1,078,539
Abby 7-23 4 min RACE 10
Amy 7-23 13 min Kuuipo 8
No, Global Warming Did Not Create Chicago's Agi... 30 min Guest 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 49 min Beavis 174,477
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Chicago, IL (Dec '11) 1 hr Brian Shepard 116
Debate: Marijuana - Chicago, IL (Aug '10) 1 hr Brian Shepard 297
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 10:02AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••