Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Wow.
DEAR MISS MANNERS,
When I am visiting someone's home, even some of my family members' homes, I ask or announce that I need to use their bathroom. I have practiced this habit most of my life.
I was annoyed when an acquaintance on the very first visit to my home, just got up and went to use my bathroom. She didn't even know where the bathroom was located.
After about her third or fourth visit I finally told her that when I visit someone's home, I say that I'm going to use the bathroom. She gave me a strange look when I told her. Am I sweating the small stuff or making a big deal out of nothing?
GENTLE READER,
"You may be surprised to hear that not everyone is as charmed by bathroom announcements as you seem to be. It is true that asking its location is preferable to running around opening doors, but after that, one need only say, "Excuse me." Miss Manners assures you that everyone knows why you need to be excused."
Wow indeed. I can't believe no one ever told her to just go.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Wow.
DEAR MISS MANNERS,
When I am visiting someone's home, even some of my family members' homes, I ask or announce that I need to use their bathroom. I have practiced this habit most of my life.
I was annoyed when an acquaintance on the very first visit to my home, just got up and went to use my bathroom. She didn't even know where the bathroom was located.
After about her third or fourth visit I finally told her that when I visit someone's home, I say that I'm going to use the bathroom. She gave me a strange look when I told her. Am I sweating the small stuff or making a big deal out of nothing?
GENTLE READER,
"You may be surprised to hear that not everyone is as charmed by bathroom announcements as you seem to be. It is true that asking its location is preferable to running around opening doors, but after that, one need only say, "Excuse me." Miss Manners assures you that everyone knows why you need to be excused."
She sounds like a nutter.

But I do have this problem at work. My desk is such that no one can really see me and I'm supposed to answer the phones, so I have to announce that I'm leaving so someone else can grab the phone. I usually say "I'm going to the Ladies'" but I hate doing it. When I worked in retail, we used a code that someone picked up working at Marshall Field's. We'd say "Code 47" or just "47" as we walked by a co-worker. Much less embarassing.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Not to change the subject or anything, but Jesse Jackson Jr quit the House last year and is out of work. Today his wife Sandi quit her job as a alderman in Chicago. So now they are both out of work and he is still presumably running up medical bills at Mayo Clinic.

Hmm. Who is paying? And what will they live on?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
most are burmese pythons that were once pets and when they got too big for their owners to care for, they were released into the wild.
Not just because they got too big, they were outlawed when one snake of an irresponsible owner killed a toddler. People had no choice but to release them, or turn them in so they could be destroyed.

Snakes aren't the only non-native species "wreaking havoc" on our oh-so-fragile ecosystem.

I thought America was supposed to welcome all walks of life from everywhere in the world?

Does this mean we'll be able to "cull" illegal immigrants next?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Not to change the subject or anything, but Jesse Jackson Jr quit the House last year and is out of work. Today his wife Sandi quit her job as a alderman in Chicago. So now they are both out of work and he is still presumably running up medical bills at Mayo Clinic.
I assume his father is worth quite a few dollars.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

I just googled. He's worth an estimated $10M. He can pay for their care.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count. Don't they both get a six figure pension for life?

I can't understand why nobody can figure out where these "spending cuts" should be made...

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Not just because they got too big, they were outlawed when one snake of an irresponsible owner killed a toddler. People had no choice but to release them, or turn them in so they could be destroyed.
Snakes aren't the only non-native species "wreaking havoc" on our oh-so-fragile ecosystem.
I thought America was supposed to welcome all walks of life from everywhere in the world?
Someone should make a study of you -- on how your brain works. It would either be fascinating or entertaining -- or perhaps both.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You make the most incredible (or should that be uncredible) jumps in logic.

If you don't know the difference between reptiles and mammels by now...
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
TSTI.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

which by sams definition makes them totally incapable of proper training, use, storage or saftey. By her difinition, no retired leo or service member should be allowed to own, or handle a weapon because they are just idiot civilians....

Please.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to let Sam fight her own battle with you, but I feel I must point out that this entire convo has been about firearm ownership by regular old civilians.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Why? Did you want to marry your snake?
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count. Don't they both get a six figure pension for life?
I can't understand why nobody can figure out where these "spending cuts" should be made...
A CRS Report on Congressional Pensions issued Feb 9, 207 states, in pertinent part:
Members of Congress are eligible for a pension
at age 62 if they have completed at least five years of service. Members are eligible
for a pension at age 50 if they have completed 20 years of service, or at any age after
completing 25 years of service. The amount of the pension depends on years of
service and the average of the highest three years of salary. By law, the starting
amount of a Memberís retirement annuity may not exceed 80% of his or her final
salary.
As of October 1, 2006, 413 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal
pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service. Of this number, 290
had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $60,972.
A total of 123 Members had retired with service under both CSRS and FERS or with
service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $35,952 in 2006.

Therefore Jesse Jr will get his pension when he turns 62. I am not sure if he is 50 yet.

I belive the base slaary for Reps is $158,000. When he turns 62 he would get no more than 80% of that or $126,400 and prbably something a little less based on the past year averaging system noted elsewhere in the memo. Taxable, but not bad. If he lives that long.

I have not looked up what Sandi gets as a resigned alderman, if anything.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
No he doesn't qualify for the pension.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>A CRS Report on Congressional Pensions issued Feb 9, 207 states, in pertinent part:
Members of Congress are eligible for a pension
at age 62 if they have completed at least five years of service. Members are eligible
for a pension at age 50 if they have completed 20 years of service, or at any age after
completing 25 years of service. The amount of the pension depends on years of
service and the average of the highest three years of salary. By law, the starting
amount of a Memberís retirement annuity may not exceed 80% of his or her final
salary.
As of October 1, 2006, 413 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal
pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service. Of this number, 290
had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $60,972.
A total of 123 Members had retired with service under both CSRS and FERS or with
service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $35,952 in 2006.
Therefore Jesse Jr will get his pension when he turns 62. I am not sure if he is 50 yet.
I belive the base slaary for Reps is $158,000. When he turns 62 he would get no more than 80% of that or $126,400 and prbably something a little less based on the past year averaging system noted elsewhere in the memo. Taxable, but not bad. If he lives that long.
I have not looked up what Sandi gets as a resigned alderman, if anything.
He has enough years of service?w2654

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

RACE wrote:
which by sams definition makes them totally incapable of proper training, use, storage or saftey. By her difinition, no retired leo or service member should be allowed to own, or handle a weapon because they are just idiot civilians....
Please.
<quoted text>
Retired service people are not just regular old civilians, which is what I said.

But really my point was more for edog and his attempt to provoke Sam.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Omg we are watching tosh. Two words to search on YouTube:

Cannonball dookie

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-11-27...

He is eligible maybe for $45k a year, depends on the court stuff.

Ridiculous.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Please.
<quoted text>
Well never mind the fact that military and trained law enforcement professionals are made up of regular citizens such as ourselves, the fact I'm instead a Joe Sixpack working at the mill means I can't responsibly own a firearm.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

RACE wrote:
Why? Did you want to marry your snake?
<quoted text>
Who are you to tell me I can't??

And I thought we were all supposed to be OPPOSED to the killing of innocent animals? Where's the outcry over this python slaughter!?? Who are WE to decide they deserve to die?!?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

40 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min harmonious 1,082,363
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 7 min Eric 68,403
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min LRS 174,961
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 32 min ritedownthemiddle 45,847
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 46 min andet1987 474
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,052
Amy 7-28 6 hr Sublime1 16
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 28 at 10:11PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••