Topix Chitown Regulars

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#78524 Jan 13, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Wow. Am I going to feel like killing myself EVERY time I go out from now on?
I miss jasper.
:(
It will pass. I know you know that and I know it doesn't matter because it doesn't feel like it right now, but it will. <3

Now, stand still while I...hug...you. That's right, I hugged you. What?

West Palm Beach, FL

#78525 Jan 13, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>It will pass. I know you know that and I know it doesn't matter because it doesn't feel like it right now, but it will. <3

Now, stand still while I...hug...you. That's right, I hugged you. What?
Thanks....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#78526 Jan 13, 2013
Oh, sure, but when I hug you I get slapped! ;)
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks....

#78527 Jan 13, 2013
Come on down! We'll go to the gun show together. Nothing gets you over your x quicker that holding some hot new pistol...
j_m_w wrote:
Wow. Am I going to feel like killing myself EVERY time I go out from now on?
I miss jasper.
:(

West Palm Beach, FL

#78529 Jan 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, sure, but when I hug you I get slapped! ;)
Aw, never!

West Palm Beach, FL

#78530 Jan 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>Come on down! We'll go to the gun show together. Nothing gets you over your x quicker that holding some hot new pistol...
Haha!

I'm actually just getting out & about for the day (darn hangover... I didn't even drink THAT much but mixed wine & beer...) and there's a classic car show going on down by the waterfront (2 blocks away). Gonna go check that out.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#78531 Jan 14, 2013

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#78532 Jan 14, 2013

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#78533 Jan 14, 2013
So it is like pulling teeth to have to try to walk the computer illiterate thru a process over the phone. You can't see the screen and have no idea if they are actually doing what you are telling them to do. Walking my mom thru stuff when she's sitting next to me is easy. But when the rubber hitsthe road and she is at her house, big fail. Tried last night and have no idea what she was doing, but I know she was not doing what I told her cause the expected outcome was not happening.

Solution: I found a program that records my computer screen and my voice. I made a few how to videos showing her how to perform a few simple tasks. Maybe by having those to refer to as much as she wants, the concepts will sink in and she can combine some of those tasks and get some stuff done.

#78534 Jan 14, 2013
You should just remote desktop in and fix it for her.
Mister Tonka wrote:
So it is like pulling teeth to have to try to walk the computer illiterate thru a process over the phone. You can't see the screen and have no idea if they are actually doing what you are telling them to do. Walking my mom thru stuff when she's sitting next to me is easy. But when the rubber hitsthe road and she is at her house, big fail. Tried last night and have no idea what she was doing, but I know she was not doing what I told her cause the expected outcome was not happening.
Solution: I found a program that records my computer screen and my voice. I made a few how to videos showing her how to perform a few simple tasks. Maybe by having those to refer to as much as she wants, the concepts will sink in and she can combine some of those tasks and get some stuff done.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78535 Jan 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
There's nothing to fix. Its not a case of something not working. Its a case of her not remembering how to do stuff.

#78536 Jan 14, 2013
OIC
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>There's nothing to fix. Its not a case of something not working. Its a case of her not remembering how to do stuff.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#78537 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Can you get one of theose programs that allows remote access to her computer like my IT department has?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#78538 Jan 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
J does that for my MIL. It's saved him countless hours of driving.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78539 Jan 14, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Can you get one of theose programs that allows remote access to her computer like my IT department has?
I have not played with one of those in a while. Last time I tried it out, found that I would need to configure her router to allow the pc to pc connection. Considering I'd have to walk her thru configuring the router, that ain't happening. Not sure if thre's any software like that that requires less configuration. Have not looked into it in a few years.

Miami, FL

#78540 Jan 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what I was going to say, and even if it's not "fixing" things you could still remote in and show her. Screen sharing would save you a lot of headaches. I know because I've had to explain how to do stuff with Jasper and it's really frustrating when you can't see what the other person sees. Luckily it's not frequently enough that I would actually need remote desktop, which is good because while I'm more computer literate than he is, I'm not good enough to set that up.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#78541 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I would not be good at instructing someone like that either.

I have a new computer ordered. Laptop. HP with the new AMD A8 chip. 1 terabyte of HD space. Quad core. Full version MS Office with computer lifetime computer virus and computer lifetime help 24/7 with a life advisor or by chat. I went with the 15" b/c I want it portable.

My old one is on it's last legs and this computer was a sweet, special deal that I could not pass up.

I'm a little excited about it.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78542 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>There's nothing to fix. Its not a case of something not working. Its a case of her not remembering how to do stuff.
So someone judged this mean and incendiary? Really? How so?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#78543 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> So someone judged this mean and incendiary? Really? How so?
Who did you tick off? There are mean faces on most of your posts -- spilling to other threads.

Hit the ignore button on it.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#78544 Jan 14, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Whoever gave you those mean judgements must not have went through what you do. I did. I would sit with my mom and show her and make her do it over and over again. then later she said i never showed her whatever. the xp remote function never worked for us. she was in her 80's tho so i had to cut her some slack cause i did give her a lot of credit for even tackling the computer. she was pretty good, she emailed, bought things, checked her bank account and printed up the best greeting cards, but lost toolbars.

So you have my sympathy and understanding, at least for this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min woodtick57 194,622
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Rex Spector 1,263,838
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 28 min jimi-yank 54,327
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr scirocco 70,147
Truly evil folks 3 hr Concern Citizen 5
News Four Dead in Bridgeview Head-On Collision (Jul '14) 3 hr MyNameIsToby 75
Chicago One Direction concert on the 23rd! 6 hr Tristascottcom 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages