|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Yeah Right wrote:
Should Pete Rose be in the hall?
I personally think he should, but I was a HUGE Pete Rose and Cinci Reds (and Johnny Bench, Dave Concepcion, etc.) fan in the '70s.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
Err, ah, first ballot, I meant.
:D
I was like "what does ballet have to do with baseball?"
;)

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a HOF-qualified starting pitcher -- world series winner -- for the Twins who was up for his 14th time. Several guys who should be in didn't make it in yesterday.
I'll have to check it out and look at their stats. I know Biggio was on there. He was good for a long time, but I'm not sure how his stats measure up, tho, compared to those already in.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I was like "what does ballet have to do with baseball?"
;)
I know. Duh.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

dahgts wrote:
L1: Creepy! I don't have any advice myself.

L2: You noticed these drastic changes for two months leading up to the wedding but married him anyway? After only knowing him for a year?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Yeah Right wrote:
Should Pete Rose be in the hall?
After he dies, yes. His gambling was a black eye to the game and integrity is a component in terms of whether you get in the HOF. HE also denied it for many years. I don't know about you, but when someone makes a mistake, that's one thing, but failing to own it, is just adding insult to injury. I find insult to be worse than injury in a lot of instances. I have far more respect for someone who owns their mistakes.

Even though integrity is a component of the decision, I don't believe his decisions as a manager should take away from what he accomplished as a player. They are two separate things.

As far as we know, he played the game fairly and with integrity, as a player. So, he should get in, but I can't say it's unfair to delay it.

They did the same to Ron Santo, and while his numbers weren't Rose-esque, they compared favorably to other inductees and were HOF worthy, given that era he played in and the great pitchers of that era. I think that he did not get in until after he died was more of a travesty than if they were to do so for Rose. Santo, regardless of his somewhat obnoxious behavior as a player, played the game right, had integrity, really loved baseball (and the cubs) and did nothing that I know of to blacken its reputation. If they did it to him, for far less egregious character issues, I can't say they shouldn't do the same to Rose.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

dahgts wrote:
LW1: I would tell your son and contact the DA. He probably doesn’t have any memories and if he does and it has affected him, maybe it can be an opening to therapy if he needs it. I can honestly say if I found out I was molested as a young kid, but didn’t remember it, it wouldn’t affect me.

LW2: Why would you go through with the marriage given all the red flags that appeared as the wedding approached? IMO, dating for only one year is also too short before getting married. Go for an annulment. You are going to be absolutely miserable with that nut case. His behavior is so odd, that I would also be concerned for your safety once you spring the news on him.

LW3: I would speak up.

LW4: 1 out of 3 times, you get what you want. The other two times you are still getting laid. Sounds to me like she’s already meeting you pretty much half way, dude. Quit your b1tchen.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Prudy

l1: What Prudy said.

LW2: And who was in such a big hurry to get married to begin with? Married after just a year? Let that be a lesson to others.

"Unless you’ve taken some steps to keep it from him, he’s probably already read your letter to me."

Steps? What steps? Like not leaving it lying around o nthe coffee table? WTF? That's a pretty stupid assumption. Amy helping out today?

LW3: Is she married? Is her husand supporting her? Maybe she likes it that way and this is her way of being able to say, "But honey, I've been interviewing all over town and just not getting the job".

LW4: "Oh, the agony, the heartbreak of the guy with the big dick"

HO!
LEE!
SCHITT!

Are you kidding me? Did Prudy just say that?!? I thought it was edogg f'n with us till I remembered I cut and pasted the column directly from the site.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll have to check it out and look at their stats. I know Biggio was on there. He was good for a long time, but I'm not sure how his stats measure up, tho, compared to those already in.
Radio said he got 68% votes, the highest of anyone in the class but not enough.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
LW4: "Oh, the agony, the heartbreak of the guy with the big dick"
HO!
LEE!
SCHITT!
I know, that cracked me up! It's sure not something you'd read in Amy!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's some info from a local paper re: Jack Morris, Twins pitcher:

Besides the PED impact, Morris was hurt by a segment of voters influenced by sabermetrics. This is mostly a younger crowd that buys a little too heavily into statistics. This bunch looks at Morris' 254 career wins and 3.92 earned-run average, which would be the highest in the Hall of Fame, and says, "No way."

They should put less emphasis on the ERA and acknowledge that Morris was one of the dominant pitchers of his era, and that should count for something. He had 175 complete games in 18 seasons. He was an innings eater who believed in going the distance whenever possible. What he did in that Game 7 in '91 is all the proof you need of that.

Maddux and Glavine both pitched more than 20 years; Maddux had 109 complete games, Glavine 56. They had better ERAs than Morris, but you can bet if Morris had bailed earlier in games he would have allowed fewer garbage runs.

Statistics are important. There's no arguing that. The problem with stats is, they don't measure grit. Morris had plenty of that. Three teams made him their ace, and all three teams won the World Series because of him.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
HO!
LEE!
SCHITT!
Are you kidding me? Did Prudy just say that?!? I thought it was edogg f'n with us till I remembered I cut and pasted the column directly from the site.
She did go to the nudest resort. She can't be too prude and has to be be a little bit freaky to be open to that.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>You are right.
BTW was does dahgts stand for?
da Heights. Our southside pronunciation of the notorious, infamous, second only to Cicero, my hometown, Chicago Heights. Gone to hell now but growing up in the 50's and 60's with the "boys" here was very safe and interesting. Never mind that the feds called them the most inept outfit in the state. Most politicians went to jail.
Good memories and taught me street smarts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's some info from a local paper re: Jack Morris, Twins pitcher:
Besides the PED impact, Morris was hurt by a segment of voters influenced by sabermetrics. This is mostly a younger crowd that buys a little too heavily into statistics. This bunch looks at Morris' 254 career wins and 3.92 earned-run average, which would be the highest in the Hall of Fame, and says, "No way."
They should put less emphasis on the ERA and acknowledge that Morris was one of the dominant pitchers of his era, and that should count for something. He had 175 complete games in 18 seasons. He was an innings eater who believed in going the distance whenever possible. What he did in that Game 7 in '91 is all the proof you need of that.
Maddux and Glavine both pitched more than 20 years; Maddux had 109 complete games, Glavine 56. They had better ERAs than Morris, but you can bet if Morris had bailed earlier in games he would have allowed fewer garbage runs.
Statistics are important. There's no arguing that. The problem with stats is, they don't measure grit. Morris had plenty of that. Three teams made him their ace, and all three teams won the World Series because of him.
I don't disagree.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
She did go to the nudest resort. She can't be too prude and has to be be a little bit freaky to be open to that.
I'm not so much shocked that she would say such a thing, just that she would say it in her column. I know she often walks the line, but this is the first time I've seen her hump over completely. Maxim magazine. Your local free alternative paper. Glamour. I would not bat an eye in those types of publications. But I thought her primary audience was more of the straight laced "respectable" types. Does she get published in the NYT or WaPo or anything like that? I can't imagine that wouldn't get edited out.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Radio said he got 68% votes, the highest of anyone in the class but not enough.
I saw that. He stands a reasonable chance of getting in, in a few years, with that high of a percentage of votes.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
da Heights. Our southside pronunciation of the notorious, infamous, second only to Cicero, my hometown, Chicago Heights. Gone to hell now but growing up in the 50's and 60's with the "boys" here was very safe and interesting. Never mind that the feds called them the most inept outfit in the state. Most politicians went to jail.
Ah. I'm a Rogers Park person but I know whereof you speak.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, a fellow south sider. But I grew up in Flossmoor; not quite so tough.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economywatch/...

All the countries ahead of us on this list are booming, economically. WE are falling backwards, in contrast.

For those who advocate that we become more like European nations with bloated governments and massive entitlements, outside of Switzerland and Denmark, all other European countries are even behind us on the list.

Ask yourself which direction Obama will be taking us in the next 4 years. Then ask yourself if policies that ensure economic stagnation/very small growth is good for our country.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
Ask yourself which direction Obama will be taking us in the next 4 years. Then ask yourself if policies that ensure economic stagnation/very small growth is good for our country.
We will find out. But I bet people STILL won't wise up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Aphelion 1,095,558
Abby 8-21 13 min Mister Tonka 2
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 21 min CitiZen9 3,910
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Learn to Read 176,762
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 46,229
Defense Logistics Support 1 hr Its me Albie 1
Amy 8-21 1 hr edogxxx 1

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000