Comments
77,281 - 77,300 of 97,916 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#78312 Jan 8, 2013
RACE wrote:
Let's move the convo from the phone to the living room. If the wife's friend was in the house, is he supposed to wait till she leaves before he can ask his wife a question?
All's tonka is saying is that it is husband/wife courtesy that if one calls the other, you answer. You want to call that courtesy a control issue, and tonka sees it as a sign of respect for your spouse. Since he applies the same standard to himself as he does to her, there really is nothing controlling about it.
<quoted text>
Not the same thing. If a friend is in the room, would he interrupt a conversation or wait for the lag in conversation? That is what I see the comparison.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#78313 Jan 8, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Lets try this in a way edogg can easily understand(hopefully).
Lets say your girlfriend decides to try something new and instead of throwing chairs at you, she sits in one and calls her friend up. While shooting the breeze with her, you walk into the room and have to ask her something. Is it acceptable to you that she simply ignore you and wave you way until she gets off the phone? What if her friend is trying out this sitting in chairs thing also and they are sitting there together, in the same room, talking, and you are not home and give her a call. Are you cool if she lets it go to voicemail cause she's having such a nice conversation and does not want to be interupted by you?
To me, they are all the same act and extremely poor treatment of your spouse and not acceptable.
You wait until someone is off the phone. If it is important, spouses have expressions that tell each other if it's more important than what they are currently doing. I learned when I was young you do not interrupt a conversation. Unless it is very important, it is downright rude to interrupt. I don't care who you are.

Now, to completely ignore someone without a gesture (pointer finger up meaning one minute) would not be right. However, the spouse is still rude (unless it is very important) for interrupting.

Eh, different strokes and all that.

I see it as a spouse should already know they are important to each other and should not need constant validation. That's too needy. Not saying you should never validate the importance of one another, however.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#78314 Jan 8, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Not the same thing. If a friend is in the room, would he interrupt a conversation or wait for the lag in conversation? That is what I see the comparison.
What? Not the same thing? It is exactly the same thing. Just a differnt avenue of communication. If the friend was in the room and he walked in, you expect him to wait for a lag before he asks his question. I would expect her to see that he would like to interupt and she would voluntarily stop her conversation to ask what he needs.

Personally, I would give that courtesy to anyone who walked into the room while I was having a conversaton, but I would give it to my wife without question. I would expect that courtesy as well from most, but without question from my wife. I can't imagine any casual conversation being so important that it can't be put on hold for a minute.

And lets not start twisting the scene into me expecting her to put some deep emotional my-mother-is-dying-my husband-has-cancer-i-lost-my-j ob-and-daughter-got raped conversation on hold the minute she sees me or my number. I'm talking about normal how-are-things-going type conversations.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#78315 Jan 8, 2013
So what??? the spouse only answers 1/2 the time?
and again, you are introducing "hand gestures" Something that cannot be seen when calling. My point (and tonkas I believe) is that stripped down to the basics, it is simply a conversation and is it wrong to expect that a spouse should pause whatever conversation they are in, to listen to their spouse and address them?

Were not talking constant interruptions, or wailing like a child looking for attention. Just basic if your spouse calls, do you answer or ignore.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You wait until someone is off the phone. If it is important, spouses have expressions that tell each other if it's more important than what they are currently doing. I learned when I was young you do not interrupt a conversation. Unless it is very important, it is downright rude to interrupt. I don't care who you are.
Now, to completely ignore someone without a gesture (pointer finger up meaning one minute) would not be right. However, the spouse is still rude (unless it is very important) for interrupting.
Eh, different strokes and all that.
I see it as a spouse should already know they are important to each other and should not need constant validation. That's too needy. Not saying you should never validate the importance of one another, however.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#78316 Jan 8, 2013
It is the same, conversations on the phone have lots of lags, just as a conversation in person does. How is he supposed to know when that lag is occurring so he can call?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#78317 Jan 8, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>What? Not the same thing? It is exactly the same thing.
Not the same, tonka. I tried explaining it to race. You should not expect your spouse to drop everything and rush to the phone when you call, as you should not expect her to turn away from her friend and rush to greet you at the door as soon as you walk in and get you your slippers and pipe.

If she's watching Jersey Boys when you call, by all means, she should answer the phone. If she's on the phone with her mother asking if her father survived the heart operation, she can call you back. Maybe she's on the phone with her friend who's son just broke his leg in soccer?

Or are YOU the one to decide which conversations she's allowed to engage in when you ring on the other line asking if you should stop for milk?

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#78318 Jan 8, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you prove where homosapiens came from? Or are there just theories written in a book?
Nope. But I can prove evolution. Not to you, nor would I waste my time trying to enlighten you, but it is a fact, unlike the stuff you say you believe. It is scientifically testable with empirical evidence.

One of the main points of studying anthropology is to understand where homo sapiens came from. If we had all those answers then we wouldn't be studying where we came from. We would be studying only other aspects of human beings; culture, language, archaeology.

By the way, evolution doesn't apply only to humans. I know most people understand that, but there are some...<shrug>

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#78319 Jan 8, 2013
RACE wrote:
How is he supposed to know when that lag is occurring so he can call?
<quoted text>
Seriously? This is your argument?

That's why I said you can't compare people talking in a room (in person) with someone calling on the phone.

Once again, I will not argue such an analogy.

West Palm Beach, FL

#78320 Jan 8, 2013
Eh. Gotta go with edog on this one. Only the wife in this scenario knows all the circumstances and should be trusted to make the right call.

If I was on the phone when jasper called, I'd let it go to voicemail. If he called back right away, I'd know he needed to know something right then and then I'd answer. Otherwise I'd catch him when I got home and know he was calling just to say hi and no big deal either way.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#78321 Jan 9, 2013

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#78322 Jan 9, 2013
Meanwhile, tonka is thinking, "This is the last time I vent about my wife to you guys."

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#78323 Jan 9, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. But I can prove evolution. Not to you, nor would I waste my time trying to enlighten you, but it is a fact, unlike the stuff you say you believe. It is scientifically testable with empirical evidence.
One of the main points of studying anthropology is to understand where homo sapiens came from. If we had all those answers then we wouldn't be studying where we came from. We would be studying only other aspects of human beings; culture, language, archaeology.
By the way, evolution doesn't apply only to humans. I know most people understand that, but there are some...<shrug>
I'm not arguing evolution, but I'll remind you it's still just a "theory."

And our origins can't be proven, yet we exist.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78324 Jan 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Meanwhile, tonka is thinking, "This is the last time I vent about my wife to you guys."
psssht. My opinion's as unchanged as theirs. No big deal. Speaking of wives...
Boston Celtics vs NY Knicks. KG and Melo battling for position. KG. Big trash talker. Said something to Melo that set him off. No fisticuffs, but Melo was definitely going after him and the refs gave them both T's.

Melo waited outside the Celtics bus to have words with KG. Had to be kept away by coach and security.

What could he possibly have said that would so rile him up?

Word on the web is that KG told Melo that his wife, LaLa, tasted like Honey Nut Cheerios.

Melo goes 6 for 26, Celtics win.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78325 Jan 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Besides. You guys aren't real. Just my imaginary friends. A bunch of Snuffleupaguses.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#78326 Jan 9, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientific theories do not graduate into scientific laws. Theories are rooted in facts. We know things change over time, so evolution is a fact. The Theory of Evolution is a way to explain those facts. We explain it with natural selection, punctuated equilibrium, gradualism, and dozens of other methods that will be defined in greater detail at a later date. A theory is not just a hunch or a guess; THAT is a hypothesis. To be considered a scientific theory, four criteria must be met:

-A theory must EXPLAIN a body of facts.
-It must be able to PREDICT future occurrences of similar phenomena.
-It must be FALSIFIABLE and stand up to empirical experimentation.
-It must be SUPPORTED by a vast quantity of reliable facts.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#78327 Jan 9, 2013
>>edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

Scientific theories do not graduate into scientific laws. Theories are rooted in facts. We know things change over time, so evolution is a fact. The Theory of Evolution is a way to explain those facts. We explain it with natural selection, punctuated equilibrium, gradualism, and dozens of other methods that will be defined in greater detail at a later date. A theory is not just a hunch or a guess; THAT is a hypothesis. To be considered a scientific theory, four criteria must be met:

-A theory must EXPLAIN a body of facts.
-It must be able to PREDICT future occurrences of similar phenomena.
-It must be FALSIFIABLE and stand up to empirical experimentation.
-It must be SUPPORTED by a vast quantity of reliable facts.<<

Oh, I forgot, you're a douche...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#78328 Jan 9, 2013
If we're imaginary, I want to be Jessica Rabbit.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78329 Jan 9, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
psssht. My opinion's as unchanged as theirs. No big deal. Speaking of wives...
Boston Celtics vs NY Knicks. KG and Melo battling for position. KG. Big trash talker. Said something to Melo that set him off. No fisticuffs, but Melo was definitely going after him and the refs gave them both T's.
Melo waited outside the Celtics bus to have words with KG. Had to be kept away by coach and security.
What could he possibly have said that would so rile him up?
Word on the web is that KG told Melo that his wife, LaLa, tasted like Honey Nut Cheerios.
Melo goes 6 for 26, Celtics win.
I wonder how long before some Knicks team mate leaves a box of Hiney Nut Cheerios in his locker just to F with him.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#78330 Jan 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I wanna be Ginger from Gilligan's Island. Only not so dumb.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78332 Jan 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Done.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min woodtick57 1,099,753
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 min JOEL 68,935
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 33 min Obskeptic 177,326
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 34 min Silly times 4,662
Engagement Ring 1 hr rodeo3queen 4
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr DrZhivago 49,446
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr truth-facts 46,292
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago