Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>In my mind, at least when personal calls are involved, spouse should be number one. If I'm on the phone with a friend and my wife calls, I either put friend on hold or end the call. Wife comes first. I expect the same.
I could abide by this, mainly because I think you're generally a reasonable person, and you probably aren't calling your wife five times a day when she's at work, out after workw ith friends, etc.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
I like this one...
"Xmas" is not a secular plan to "take the Christ out of Christmas." "The usual suggestion is that 'Xmas' is ... an attempt by the ungodly to x-out Jesus and banish religion from the holiday."[141] However, X stands for the Greek letter Chi, the starting letter of &#935;&#961;&#953; &#963;&#964;&#972; &#962;, or "Christ" in Greek.[142] The use of the word "Xmas" can be traced to the year 1021 when "monks in Great Britain...used the X while transcribing classical manuscripts into Old English" in place of "Christ".[141] The Oxford English Dictionary's "first recorded use of 'Xmas' for 'Christmas' dates back to 1551."[143] Paul Brians adds, "so few people know this that it is probably better not to use this popular abbreviation in religious contexts."[144]
And there was sometihng on Mental Floss about letters "missing" from our alphabet that goes along with the usage of "ye" as in Ye Olde Shoppe.
The Catholic Church started "Xmas." If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
I'd call wife and she'd not answer cause she was on another call. Didn't want to tell the friend she was talking with to hold on for a second. Thinks that was rude.
FLUCK THAT! That's what call waiting is for! Its rude to ignore your GD spouse when he/she is trying to get a hold of you. If I'm calling about nothing important, you tell me to talk later, your on a call. But at least take the GD call to find out if its important. I cured her of that BS by telling her if she could not answer my calls, I would not answer hers.
This sounds controlling to me. If you're not calling about anything important, you can wait a few minutes for her to get off the phone and call you back. How do you know SHE isn't on an important call? To expect -DEMAND- your wife takes your call everytime makes you an @zzhole. Having the attitude of "well, you don't KNOW if I'm calling for something important or not," is the same paranoid attidude that people have when they just assume the worst.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> This same weekend, she was on the couch. I was at the coffee table on the laptop. Her phone rang. It was next to me charging on the laptop. I instinctively unplugged it and handed it to my wife to hand to her. She wasn't even making a motion for hte phone. Ended up not answering it anyway.
I'm not that big of a phone person. Probably b/c I'm on the phone at work for work related stuff so much.

Mostly, I like texts. I'll text you back when I can. I like phone calls for those times when text just won't do.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ist_of_common_misconceptions
If anyone needs me, I'll be reading this for the rest of the afternoon.
Cool. I like stuff like this.(me = nerd a lot of times) I'll read this later.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

That is awesome!
Timmy wrote:
This is for Race, an add on to the AR15 style gun that legally allows the user to fire 100 rounds in 7 seconds when using belt fed ammo. I am sure he will be saving up to get one.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/01/07/s...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ist_of_common_misconceptions
If anyone needs me, I'll be reading this for the rest of the afternoon.
Damn! I've got things to do today!!!

Guess that's what bookmarks are for.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
This sounds controlling to me. If you're not calling about anything important, you can wait a few minutes for her to get off the phone and call you back. How do you know SHE isn't on an important call? To expect -DEMAND- your wife takes your call everytime makes you an @zzhole. Having the attitude of "well, you don't KNOW if I'm calling for something important or not," is the same paranoid attidude that people have when they just assume the worst.
uh...it would only get under my skin when I was calling for something important, and it would not really hit me until I got home and found out she was on the phone with a friend. Its not like I'd lose my shit the very second it happened.

And no, I'm talking about instances where I can't wait a few minutes.

example: I'm on the way home. I have nothing planned for dinner. Is she cooking dinner? I need to know RIGHT NOW so I can stop and get something on the way. Wait too long and I've driven past everything. Then she's gonna want me to go back out. F that.

If I get home and find out my call was ignored cause she was on some sort of business call, I'll live. But as far as personal calls, I'm #1.

If that makes me an asshole in your eyes, I won't lose a second of sleep tonight.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

http://now.msn.com/funny-public-transportatio...

Picture #5 was taken on the CTA for sure!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

squishymama wrote:
http://now.msn.com/funny-publi c-transportation-photos
Picture #5 was taken on the CTA for sure!
That first picture... i have that same cutting board!

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>uh...it would only get under my skin when I was calling for something important, and it would not really hit me until I got home and found out she was on the phone with a friend. Its not like I'd lose my shit the very second it happened.
And no, I'm talking about instances where I can't wait a few minutes.
example: I'm on the way home. I have nothing planned for dinner. Is she cooking dinner? I need to know RIGHT NOW so I can stop and get something on the way. Wait too long and I've driven past everything. Then she's gonna want me to go back out. F that.
If I get home and find out my call was ignored cause she was on some sort of business call, I'll live. But as far as personal calls, I'm #1.
If that makes me an asshole in your eyes, I won't lose a second of sleep tonight.
Even if it was her best friend who just found out she has cancer? Or one of her friend's kids were taken to the hospital. Or, or.....

To me, then it's time to order pizza or chinese and call it a day.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't say it makes him controlling or an a-hole, but I wouldn't care to the degree he does. If my wife didn't answer and it was something urgent ... I would also text her and let her know I really need to talk to her immediately and if she then ignored me, then I'd be thinking wtf.

I'm pretty sure my wife has not switched over sometimes when I have called her. I pretty much only call if I need something or I have a question, but it is rarely urgent. So, it's not a big deal to me if she finishes up her convo and then gets back to me.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if it was her best friend who just found out she has cancer? Or one of her friend's kids were taken to the hospital. Or, or.....
To me, then it's time to order pizza or chinese and call it a day.
I'm agreeing with you again, Toj!

Imagine this in a letter:
Dear Amby,
Everytime I'm on the phone with one of my friends or family members or co-workers, and my bf/husband calls, he DEMANDS I put my friend on hold and take his call, he says it could either be important or he just wants to know if he should pick up a can of tomato sauce on his way home. If I refuse, he won't answer MY calls to him...

He could always just send HER @zz back out if they don't have anything for dinner. But I agree, demanding I be at your beck and call is the best way to ensure that won't happen.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
So, it's not a big deal to me if she finishes up her convo and then gets back to me.
That's all I'm saying. I'm not gonna blow my top because I called my wife and she didn't answer.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Let's move the convo from the phone to the living room. If the wife's friend was in the house, is he supposed to wait till she leaves before he can ask his wife a question?

All's tonka is saying is that it is husband/wife courtesy that if one calls the other, you answer. You want to call that courtesy a control issue, and tonka sees it as a sign of respect for your spouse. Since he applies the same standard to himself as he does to her, there really is nothing controlling about it.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm agreeing with you again, Toj!
Imagine this in a letter:
Dear Amby,
Everytime I'm on the phone with one of my friends or family members or co-workers, and my bf/husband calls, he DEMANDS I put my friend on hold and take his call, he says it could either be important or he just wants to know if he should pick up a can of tomato sauce on his way home. If I refuse, he won't answer MY calls to him...
He could always just send HER @zz back out if they don't have anything for dinner. But I agree, demanding I be at your beck and call is the best way to ensure that won't happen.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

RACE wrote:
Let's move the convo from the phone to the living room. If the wife's friend was in the house, is he supposed to wait till she leaves before he can ask his wife a question?
All's tonka is saying is that it is husband/wife courtesy that if one calls the other, you answer. You want to call that courtesy a control issue, and tonka sees it as a sign of respect for your spouse. Since he applies the same standard to himself as he does to her, there really is nothing controlling about it.
<quoted text>
You're trying to compare three people together in a room to someone making a phone call? I'll not argue such an analogy. Are you saying a man's wife SHOULD be at his beck and call?
Careful how you answer...
You might pzz off the torch-wielding feminazis

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

No, I am comparing conversations. You are just trying to be obtuse.
As for beck and call, I already made my point that it is open to interpretation.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You're trying to compare three people together in a room to someone making a phone call? I'll not argue such an analogy. Are you saying a man's wife SHOULD be at his beck and call?

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you something...
How much proof would it take?
ANY.

Make certain however that it is empirical PROOF, not just belief. The fact that one believes does not equal proof.

Think of it like this. You have a ring, you believe that it is gold. It can be tested. When tested, the evidence will prove that it is or isn't. BELIEVING that it is, is not, prof, it is only belief. The ability to test gives us the evidence to say yes or no.

When you have ANY testable proof, any testable evidence, not belief, not things written in a book by fallible, corruptible, human beings, then talk to me. You want me to believe in something, freaking PROVE it. Saying it is so does not MAKE it so.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
ANY.
Make certain however that it is empirical PROOF, not just belief. The fact that one believes does not equal proof.
Think of it like this. You have a ring, you believe that it is gold. It can be tested. When tested, the evidence will prove that it is or isn't. BELIEVING that it is, is not, prof, it is only belief. The ability to test gives us the evidence to say yes or no.
When you have ANY testable proof, any testable evidence, not belief, not things written in a book by fallible, corruptible, human beings, then talk to me. You want me to believe in something, freaking PROVE it. Saying it is so does not MAKE it so.
Can you prove where homosapiens came from? Or are there just theories written in a book?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets try this in a way edogg can easily understand(hopefully).

Lets say your girlfriend decides to try something new and instead of throwing chairs at you, she sits in one and calls her friend up. While shooting the breeze with her, you walk into the room and have to ask her something. Is it acceptable to you that she simply ignore you and wave you way until she gets off the phone? What if her friend is trying out this sitting in chairs thing also and they are sitting there together, in the same room, talking, and you are not home and give her a call. Are you cool if she lets it go to voicemail cause she's having such a nice conversation and does not want to be interupted by you?

To me, they are all the same act and extremely poor treatment of your spouse and not acceptable.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••