|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good lord. Even if she was up, she could have been in the shower or something. This is the one thing I hate about the cell phone era: the few people that believe everyone must be accessible all the time. If not, they've clearly been murdered.
We're trying so hard, aren't we. To change the subject.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good lord. Even if she was up, she could have been in the shower or something. This is the one thing I hate about the cell phone era: the few people that believe everyone must be accessible all the time. If not, they've clearly been murdered.
I don't see how this has anything to do with cell phones. Don't know if the wife called a cell phone or a house phone. Take it back 25 years, in the absence of cell phones, the kid would be expected to be at home (and thus be able to answer the phone) or would be expected to call mom or dad and let them know where she was going if she was going to leave the house.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
We're trying so hard, aren't we. To change the subject.
We are. Fight the good fight with me, girl.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
the few people that believe everyone must be accessible all the time. If not, they've clearly been murdered.
Oh, and murder is certainly not my first guess, but your damn right you need to be at my beck and call and answer the gd phone when I call!

:)

MIL phone story to follow, but that will be later. Lunch crew is leaving without me.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Separation of church and state. Keep your religion out of my government offices and buildings.'nuff said.
I hate to throw a bucket of cold water over everyone but what the Constitution says is:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

It is in the 1st Amendment so it is technically an oversight because they forgot to put it in the Constitution itself.

The bit about separation of church and and state is from, I think, Jefferson in his writings and is not anywhere in the Constitution or the amendments.

After that you can argue as much as you want.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists ARE liberals.
Way to generalize.

You would be much more correct to say that atheists are people who think things through, require evidence and thoughtfulness rather than just accepting fantasy and superstition wholesale with no proof.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see how this has anything to do with cell phones. Don't know if the wife called a cell phone or a house phone. Take it back 25 years, in the absence of cell phones, the kid would be expected to be at home (and thus be able to answer the phone) or would be expected to call mom or dad and let them know where she was going if she was going to leave the house.
I don't know. It just seems like missing a phone call back then was not the OHMYGODEVERYONEPANIC thing that it is today. Everyone expects everyone to be available all the time.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
We will go down swinging!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you have to do it wearing only your bras and panties.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to generalize.
You would be much more correct to say that atheists are people who think things through, require evidence and thoughtfulness rather than just accepting fantasy and superstition wholesale with no proof.
Let me ask you something...

How much proof would it take?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and murder is certainly not my first guess, but your damn right you need to be at my beck and call and answer the gd phone when I call!
:)
MIL phone story to follow, but that will be later. Lunch crew is leaving without me.
That doesn't work so much as they get older -- say 12 and up. Maybe earlier. It's not realistic. Also, they sleep so deeply.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. It just seems like missing a phone call back then was not the OHMYGODEVERYONEPANIC thing that it is today. Everyone expects everyone to be available all the time.
The folks over at Free Range Kids (Lenore Skanazy) call this Worst-First Thinking.

It's real easy to fall into thinking like this, especially when we hear about every bad thing that's happened all around the world. I find myself doing it, but usually it revolves around Dickie. If he's at the studio and doesn't text or call to say when he's leaving, I'll start thinking about car wrecks and armed robbery. But in my case, I have a historical referece to go by: my first husband. He would disappear for days at a time and was in a wreck and was robbed and was arrested (separate incidents), so my worst-first scenarios have actually happened!

It's hard not to worry,'cause yanno, it *could* happen.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

MIL had our kids(school break). Was on her way to town. We went out to a kid free dinner. Still though, we wanted to get an idea of when she would arrive. We called her on the way to dinner. During dinner. On the way home. No answer. Typical. Got home and they had been ther at least an hour. Asked why she didn't call. Said she didn't want to bother us. Asked why she didn't pick up the phone. Didn't feel like getting up.

We certainly did not have any visions of car accidents or anything like that. But still annoying. Pick up the damn phone people!

Most annoying thing(wife now, not MIL), I'd call wife and she'd not answer cause she was on another call. Didn't want to tell the friend she was talking with to hold on for a second. Thinks that was rude.

FLUCK THAT! That's what call waiting is for! Its rude to ignore your GD spouse when he/she is trying to get a hold of you. If I'm calling about nothing important, you tell me to talk later, your on a call. But at least take the GD call to find out if its important. I cured her of that BS by telling her if she could not answer my calls, I would not answer hers.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists ARE liberals.
Nope. Some are. Some are conservative.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
FLUCK THAT! That's what call waiting is for! Its rude to ignore your GD spouse when he/she is trying to get a hold of you. If I'm calling about nothing important, you tell me to talk later, your on a call. But at least take the GD call to find out if its important. I cured her of that BS by telling her if she could not answer my calls, I would not answer hers.
Maybe... but my boss interrupts EVERY call she's on in order to take another call, even though it's from family members she talks to numerous times. she'll interrupt a call with a client to take a sales call. It's stupid.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe... but my boss interrupts EVERY call she's on in order to take another call, even though it's from family members she talks to numerous times. she'll interrupt a call with a client to take a sales call. It's stupid.
That's quite a bit different. I would not expect someone to put a business call on hold to take a personal call, but the instances with my wife, it was after work talking to friends.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
MIL had our kids(school break). Was on her way to town. We went out to a kid free dinner. Still though, we wanted to get an idea of when she would arrive. We called her on the way to dinner. During dinner. On the way home. No answer. Typical. Got home and they had been ther at least an hour. Asked why she didn't call. Said she didn't want to bother us. Asked why she didn't pick up the phone. Didn't feel like getting up.
We certainly did not have any visions of car accidents or anything like that. But still annoying. Pick up the damn phone people!
Most annoying thing(wife now, not MIL), I'd call wife and she'd not answer cause she was on another call. Didn't want to tell the friend she was talking with to hold on for a second. Thinks that was rude.
That's different. I don't mean to start anything, but it sounds like she was being a bit passive aggressive about something OR she's spacey.

If you want parents to have a relaxing dinner, answer the damn phone and tell them not to worry everything is okay.

Now, if you're on a call and your spouse calls, the spouse should have enough sense to know that the other will call you back. To expect anyone to be at your beck and call every second of the day is ridiculous and very egotistical and controlling.

I would not expect my spouse to answer my call every time. Things happen. I would expect a call back at a decent time interval, however, as I would anyone close to me.

Different strokes, though.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>That's quite a bit different. I would not expect someone to put a business call on hold to take a personal call, but the instances with my wife, it was after work talking to friends.
I hate call waiting and won't use it, for anybody.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That is very stupid and unprofessional.

I think a phone call is a REQUEST to talk to you. Anyone demands something isn't going to get it from me. I don't react well to someone who demands something (unless it's my boss and it has to do with work and my paycheck and nothing out of the realm of what my work should be).

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Toj wrote:
That's different. I don't mean to start anything, but it sounds like she was being a bit passive aggressive about something OR she's spacey.
She's IS spacey. SBut se places ZERO priority on answering her phone. If she is with us and we are all going somewhere, she will walk out of the house without her phone until someone reminds her. Her line of thinking is that we are all together, why does she need her phone?

As far as beck and call, I'm only half kidding. We've been over this before. I check my email regularly. If the phone rings, unless I am really busy or I specifically don't want to talk to you, I am going to answer it. At the very least, I am going to look at the caller id. I can't sit on the other side of the room and let the phone ring without knowing who it is. It just annoys me when people go days or even weeks without checking email or voice mail. Perhaps I am one extreme. But my MIL is the other.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

90 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min THE DEVILS MENTALLY ILL 1,084,596
Abby 8-1-14 8 min Cass 5
Ask Amy 8-1-14 9 min Pippa 8
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 12 min TRD 68,090
Obama, Emanuel Need to Put Chicago's Kids First 1 hr dirtbag1958 7
Is Anything on the Internet Real Anymore? 1 hr Melissa Melton 1
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr Pay to Play 1,881
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Bellweather 175,243
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info