Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#78251 Jan 8, 2013
So that game sure was an ass-kicking last night.

I'm off to paint and drink wine tonight, yay. And I'm meeting (interviewing?) a potential dog walker after work and another one tomorrow night. They both charge the same so I guess it'll come down to who I click with better. One is a retired lady who lives in my building and the other is younger and has a professional service and does this as her full-time job. I've had both types of dog walkers in the past so I really have no idea which way I'll end up leaning, but it's good to have options.
Sandy

Marysville, MI

#78252 Jan 8, 2013
Hi guys,
If a person was trying to find an ole Chicago friend ??? Where could they post??

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#78253 Jan 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
And how, exactly, are liberals keeping religious rights away from you?
You can't be serious.

Let's see, we can start with libs suing schools for having Christmas plays, move on to suing towns that put a nativity scene on public property, from there we can go to suing stores that say Merry Christmas... Need I go on?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#78254 Jan 8, 2013
Co-worker's daughter does not go back to school till tomorrow. So today is last day of freedom. She's like 13. At home. Mom called her at around 10am. No answer. Mom got worried and left work to rush home. What do you think a typical teen is doing at 10am on a morning where she does not have school?

SLEEPING. Now mom is mad she didn't answer the phone and sending her to the neioghbor's house(they have daughter same age) till she gets home from work. Daughter is mad that she's being sent over there for doing nothing wrong.

Co-worker is catching shit cause he tried using logic withthe wife and pointed out that she typically don't get up till like 11:30 as it is and basically sounds like he's taking daughter's side.

Mom's being nutty.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#78255 Jan 8, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't be serious.
Let's see, we can start with libs suing schools for having Christmas plays, move on to suing towns that put a nativity scene on public property, from there we can go to suing stores that say Merry Christmas... Need I go on?
Separation of church and state. Keep your religion out of my government offices and buildings.'nuff said.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#78256 Jan 8, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Co-worker's daughter does not go back to school till tomorrow. So today is last day of freedom. She's like 13. At home. Mom called her at around 10am. No answer. Mom got worried and left work to rush home. What do you think a typical teen is doing at 10am on a morning where she does not have school?
SLEEPING. Now mom is mad she didn't answer the phone and sending her to the neioghbor's house(they have daughter same age) till she gets home from work. Daughter is mad that she's being sent over there for doing nothing wrong.
Co-worker is catching shit cause he tried using logic withthe wife and pointed out that she typically don't get up till like 11:30 as it is and basically sounds like he's taking daughter's side.
Mom's being nutty.
Nick has two coworkers who are that helicoptery. Nick's too helicoptery for MY preferences, but the two women he works with are OFF THE CHARTS. You know, like a 14yo staying home from school with a cold, so mom stays home with him.

Miami, FL

#78257 Jan 8, 2013
Sandy wrote:
Hi guys,
If a person was trying to find an ole Chicago friend ??? Where could they post??
Facebook?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#78258 Jan 8, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't be serious.
None of those things is preventing you from practicing your religion.

Don't like *public* schools not having christmas plays, send your kid to a parochial school. That's your right.

Not all the public is christian, so using public dollars and public property to display a nativity is not proper. Put one up in your yard, that's your right.

And I have yet to hear about a store being sued for an employee saying Merry Christmas. My cursory goole search turned up nothing execpt a bunch of arguments.

You like saying Merry Christmas, then go right ahead, I'm confident that you won't get sued.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#78259 Jan 8, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't be serious.
There is a constitutional SEPARATION of the church (any religion) and the state (PUBLIC schools, PUBLIC property) which has been upheld time and again by the supreme court. You dolt! The reason we don't have religious things in PUBLIC places is because it's ILLEGAL to do so.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sep...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ill...

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#78260 Jan 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Separation of church and state. Keep your religion out of my government offices and buildings.'nuff said.
Cop out. That's not what the separation of church and state was intended for. That's just an over zealous interpretation.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#78261 Jan 8, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't be serious.
Weren't most of those lawsuits brought by atheists? And even if they went through the ACLU that is their right, just as it's your right to
be a conservative. You always make comments as if you would make laws that ban any thinking about anything that is contrary to your beliefs. Goofy, misguided and assumptive as they may be.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#78262 Jan 8, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Cop out. That's not what the separation of church and state was intended for. That's just an over zealous interpretation.
It's not so much separation -- but that the government cannot sanction any religion. A public place having a Christian display and only a Christian display does give an appearance of sanctioning that religion.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#78263 Jan 8, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Mom's being nutty.
Good lord. Even if she was up, she could have been in the shower or something. This is the one thing I hate about the cell phone era: the few people that believe everyone must be accessible all the time. If not, they've clearly been murdered.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#78264 Jan 8, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Weren't most of those lawsuits brought by atheists? And even if they went through the ACLU that is their right, just as it's your right to
be a conservative. You always make comments as if you would make laws that ban any thinking about anything that is contrary to your beliefs. Goofy, misguided and assumptive as they may be.
Atheists ARE liberals.

And I'm not arguing their right to want whatever, my issue is when they force their beliefs on others.

And name one example where I've said I would ban any thinking about anything that is contrary to my beliefs?

And I just love how MY views always happen to be goofy, misguided, and assumptive. Shame I'm not quite as enlightened as you, eh?

Miami, FL

#78265 Jan 8, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good lord. Even if she was up, she could have been in the shower or something. This is the one thing I hate about the cell phone era: the few people that believe everyone must be accessible all the time. If not, they've clearly been murdered.
We're trying so hard, aren't we. To change the subject.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78266 Jan 8, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see how this has anything to do with cell phones. Don't know if the wife called a cell phone or a house phone. Take it back 25 years, in the absence of cell phones, the kid would be expected to be at home (and thus be able to answer the phone) or would be expected to call mom or dad and let them know where she was going if she was going to leave the house.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#78267 Jan 8, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
We're trying so hard, aren't we. To change the subject.
We are. Fight the good fight with me, girl.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#78268 Jan 8, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
the few people that believe everyone must be accessible all the time. If not, they've clearly been murdered.
Oh, and murder is certainly not my first guess, but your damn right you need to be at my beck and call and answer the gd phone when I call!

:)

MIL phone story to follow, but that will be later. Lunch crew is leaving without me.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#78269 Jan 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to throw a bucket of cold water over everyone but what the Constitution says is:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

It is in the 1st Amendment so it is technically an oversight because they forgot to put it in the Constitution itself.

The bit about separation of church and and state is from, I think, Jefferson in his writings and is not anywhere in the Constitution or the amendments.

After that you can argue as much as you want.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#78271 Jan 8, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists ARE liberals.
Way to generalize.

You would be much more correct to say that atheists are people who think things through, require evidence and thoughtfulness rather than just accepting fantasy and superstition wholesale with no proof.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min Brian_G 46,806
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Rogue Scholar 05 178,187
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min RealDave 1,110,510
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 69,416
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr andet1987 4,733
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr D-U-H 49,897
Chicago abandons plan to name high school after... 7 hr Mr oH 10
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs