#78208 Jan 5, 2013

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#78209 Jan 5, 2013

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#78210 Jan 5, 2013
My new computer is ready. I have transferred all my files and my music. The new one is unplugged and off line, so as my farewell tour I an going to lots of places they tell you you should not and then I will pull the plug. Literally.

Hee hee , xxx hear I come.

Nah, maybe not.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#78211 Jan 5, 2013
PEllen wrote:
My new computer is ready. I have transferred all my files and my music. The new one is unplugged and off line, so as my farewell tour I an going to lots of places they tell you you should not and then I will pull the plug. Literally.
Nah, maybe not.
Oooo. Catharsis. Gonna pull the hard drive and get the big hammer from teh basement and pound that sucker into unreadibility ( except to the FBI who wouldn't bother with someone like me)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#78212 Jan 5, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Nah, maybe not.
Live a little, PE!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#78213 Jan 5, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
You forget to take your meds today or something?
How seriously do you think people will take you if your name is Moonshadow or Suncrater? Good luck trying to close that million dollar business deal with a name like that. People with those types of names are only gonna be able to hold down four types of jobs: working in an herbal tea shop, working in a head shop, waitressing, or stripping. Now is that fair to them?
Dahgts

Chicago, IL

#78214 Jan 5, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
How seriously do you think people will take you if your name is Moonshadow or Suncrater? Good luck trying to close that million dollar business deal with a name like that. People with those types of names are only gonna be able to hold down four types of jobs: working in an herbal tea shop, working in a head shop, waitressing, or stripping. Now is that fair to them?
I actually agree. There was a study a few years ago where duplicate resumes were sent for a good job. One had a "normal" first name and one had an ethnic name like latesha. Both qualified exactly. Guess which resume was picked. Not right but it's the way of the world, I guess.i imagine the same will be true for your examples.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#78215 Jan 5, 2013
Dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually agree. There was a study a few years ago where duplicate resumes were sent for a good job. One had a "normal" first name and one had an ethnic name like latesha. Both qualified exactly. Guess which resume was picked. Not right but it's the way of the world, I guess.i imagine the same will be true for your examples.
The original book Freakonomics cited the same thing.

OMG Edog is mainstream!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#78216 Jan 5, 2013
I'm gonna hire someone named Shauntelisha before I hire someone named Starbreeze of the Arctic Rain.

West Palm Beach, FL

#78217 Jan 5, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
I'm gonna hire someone named Shauntelisha before I hire someone named Starbreeze of the Arctic Rain.
Once I had a barista at Starbucks whose name tag read "Happiness" and she made a good frappuccino... But I guess she WAS a barista, not a VP....
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#78218 Jan 6, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#78219 Jan 6, 2013
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#78220 Jan 6, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks
You're welcome. Appreciate your directions. I know about the copy/paste etc. but didn't think about how to put them on a separate discussion. Just one of my many senior moments.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#78221 Jan 6, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome. Appreciate your directions. I know about the copy/paste etc. but didn't think about how to put them on a separate discussion. Just one of my many senior moments.
No problem. There are a ton of things about computers and smart phones that are real basic and "everyone knows" and I don't.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#78222 Jan 6, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Why? The names only reflect the flakiness of the parent, not the kid.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#78223 Jan 6, 2013
exactly, the apple does not fall far from the tree...
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#78224 Jan 6, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't go around introducing my business partner as Windmoon.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#78225 Jan 6, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying that I disagree with you. I changed my name (legally) because it was a stupid name. My point is that it's the parents' decision and we do not need yet more BS laws regulating every second of our lives. Mostly though I was just observing that you were acting like a little bitch the other day. <shrug>

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#78226 Jan 6, 2013
So, what's your point? He's a bitch, how is he supposed to act?
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying that I disagree with you. I changed my name (legally) because it was a stupid name. My point is that it's the parents' decision and we do not need yet more BS laws regulating every second of our lives. Mostly though I was just observing that you were acting like a little bitch the other day. <shrug>
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#78227 Jan 6, 2013
I love my husband dearly, but he thinks he has more computer expertise than he does.

He gave me one of his office computers. I spent Saturday syncing Firefox between teh two. I saw my favorites, recent documents, documents on teh new computer.

I was working down my favorites list logging in, saving login info when all information disappeared. No favorites at all. It is not teh websites so much as the folders with things like recipes and professional contact information.

Unfortunately I had dleted stuff from teh old computer. Now I have to go back on there aand try to recover stuff.

I have my music in iTunes. I set up home sharing. I "saw" my play lists on the new computer. The music is gone. Fotunately I had not deactivated the old computer.

Then I was re-creating favorites/bookmarks from memory in Firefox and looking at websites. Firefox is crashing frequently at such risky sites as WaPo. I have teh problem with IE on Topix at work and iTopix was crashing Firefox at home. Sigh.

Husband is not able to diagnse much less fix the problems. So my inexpensive hand me down just got pricy because I need a real IT person who I will have to pay.

Sigh.

If something looks too good to be true....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min John Galt 1,144,171
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 27 min Guru 180,937
EverGreen Belgrade 49 min The__Baron 16
World's Best Photo Art 58 min Monte 4
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Earthling-1 48,587
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr TRD 68,795
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 hr JOEL 70,617
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:17 am PST