“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#77864 Dec 28, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I literally told myself, "Mimi would have done that." :)
Yup yup.

My niece got all "up in my grill" for giving a guy panhandling a $5 a while back "He's just gonna buy dope or alcohol" (as if she doesn't drink and smoke!) and I was like "yeah, so what, I don't care what he needs it for, either I do or I don't but *I'm* not "god"."

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#77865 Dec 28, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup yup.
My niece got all "up in my grill" for giving a guy panhandling a $5 a while back "He's just gonna buy dope or alcohol" (as if she doesn't drink and smoke!) and I was like "yeah, so what, I don't care what he needs it for, either I do or I don't but *I'm* not "god"."
I should go pass out six-packs at the homeless camp. ;)~

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#77866 Dec 28, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think most schools nowadays have zero tolerance. I was given out of school suspended for every fight I got in, with the exception of one, which I had to serve one day in school suspension. The out of school ones were great. I got to stay home, sleep in late, watch the price is right. It didn't matter who started it or what the circumstances were.
When Chris was in 8th grade there was this one particular kid, and a bunch of his friends, who continually picked on Chris (racially derogative shit) and he took it and took it until he couldn't take it anymore. He never told me or his dad, but he did tell the VP of the school, as he was supposed to, so we never knew about it til it hit the fan.

Apparently Redneck Kid from Podunk, MD was unaware that Chris had a black belt and started pushing him, so now it's physical, and Chris told him to knock it off... From what I understand, Chris knocked him to the ground with one punch (not bragging, that's what I was told) and Chris got not suspended, but expelled.

Went to the school board meeting and the whole nine yards. I told them "fuck you guys, I'll home school him." We moved back to WA that summer so it really didn't matter, but still, the school did NOTHING for the whole school year (it was April when it happened). WTF?

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#77867 Dec 28, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I love that idea! Maybe joints too?

Miami, FL

#77868 Dec 28, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
My favorite part of "The Devil Wears Prada" (the book... they actually left this out of the movie, which is a travesty) is how Andy buys Starbucks daily for all the homeless people who hang around near her office building and expenses it to her evil boss.

Location hidden

#77869 Dec 28, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
My favorite part of "The Devil Wears Prada" (the book... they actually left this out of the movie, which is a travesty) is how Andy buys Starbucks daily for all the homeless people who hang around near her office building and expenses it to her evil boss.
I didn't see the movie. When she expenses it to her boss the first time, did people in the audience cheer?

Location hidden

#77870 Dec 28, 2012
Oops, I missed/ignored the "book not movie" part. but I was totally picturing (I assume Anne Hathaway was Andy?).

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#77871 Dec 28, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I've been busy and I've got my own party. I welcome and respect the opinions of non gun owners on gun laws. I simply ask the 2A haters why they feel a gun ban is a viable solution and none have been able to answer. And you seem pretty dismissive of parenting ideas from childless people. How many ways can "close minded" be portrayed?
Sigh. I'll skim over the last part of your post since it's there simply to incite. As for the first part of your email -- who are these 2A haters and who proposed a gun ban? I've read some people wanted to ban certain guns and ammunition but I did not read anyone who wanted a full out ban.

Miami, FL

#77872 Dec 28, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't see the movie. When she expenses it to her boss the first time, did people in the audience cheer?
They left that out of the movie! I think it would have made a really cute scene.

In the book, she's constantly getting Starbucks for her boss and while she mentions expensing them, it's not this big grand gesture. It IS cool how she figures out which homeless people prefer which types of coffee though.
:)

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#77873 Dec 28, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I was at the convenience store on my way home from work, and a guy didn't have quite enough for a pack of smokes (he was lik3 20 cents short from being ale to buy the cheapest pack). he was clean, dressed okay, but hey, you don't have to be a dirty homeless guy to be flat broke.
He asked the cashier if he could use the change from the penny cups, but she said no (and there was only pennies anyway). As I walked out with my stuff, I put about $1.75 in quarters and change in his hand, told him to buy a pack of smokes. He was shocked!
I literally told myself, "Mimi would have done that." :)
I felt bad this morning. I woman with her suitcases and looking a bit scrubby asked me if I had a phone she could use. Ordinarily I would have let her. It was in my pocket and I'm sure she saw me use it. I said "no". I've been trying very hard to stay healthy and I couldn't get past the germ thing.

Miami, FL

#77874 Dec 28, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Oops, I missed/ignored the "book not movie" part. but I was totally picturing (I assume Anne Hathaway was Andy?).
Yep.

And I used an exclamation mark to convey my disappointment that they left it out of the movie, I wasn't trying to say "I just TOLD you that!"
;)

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#77875 Dec 28, 2012
Scrubby? I don't know where that came from. She was looking a bit, maybe, homeless or on the brink. Not too clean looking.

Sweet.

Sweet woman. Asked very nicely.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#77876 Dec 28, 2012
Hey Ang,
good for you.

There is a homelss guy named Arthur who has worked the corners near my office downtown for years. When I used to drive to Indianapolis I would buy cheap smokes in IN for him.

Some of my business partners at the time were offended that I knew his name, knew what he smoked and where he went over the winter(usually jail if he could manage it- better tha Randolph and Wells in the winter). I was accused of adopting him. Business partner was told that charity is more than appeasing one's conscience by writing a check to a big organization. BP and I did not get along.

Location hidden

#77877 Dec 28, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I felt bad this morning. I woman with her suitcases and looking a bit scrubby asked me if I had a phone she could use. Ordinarily I would have let her. It was in my pocket and I'm sure she saw me use it. I said "no". I've been trying very hard to stay healthy and I couldn't get past the germ thing.
You know... I don't know what I'd do. before cell phones were EVERYWHERE, five friends (in three units) lived in a big apartment building with no working call box. I've had to ask passersy on the sidewalk if i can borrow their phone to call someone to come let me in. Luckily, it's on the corner of a college campus, so there's always students walking by.

Location hidden

#77878 Dec 28, 2012
PEllen wrote:
Hey Ang,
good for you.
There is a homelss guy named Arthur who has worked the corners near my office downtown for years. When I used to drive to Indianapolis I would buy cheap smokes in IN for him.
Some of my business partners at the time were offended that I knew his name, knew what he smoked and where he went over the winter(usually jail if he could manage it- better tha Randolph and Wells in the winter). I was accused of adopting him. Business partner was told that charity is more than appeasing one's conscience by writing a check to a big organization. BP and I did not get along.
I just figured, we all have our vices, and his ain't cheap. If he needs a smoke, and his life is kinda rough right now, then he needs 'em.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#77879 Dec 28, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
You know... I don't know what I'd do. before cell phones were EVERYWHERE, five friends (in three units) lived in a big apartment building with no working call box. I've had to ask passersy on the sidewalk if i can borrow their phone to call someone to come let me in. Luckily, it's on the corner of a college campus, so there's always students walking by.
I don't let anyone use my phone because of the germ thing, no matter how
clean" they look, but you all know I'm a *bit* of a germaphobe. I would however offer to call someone for her, explaining my OCD (BRIEFLY) issues.

There's a guy who works the courthouse. I may have mentioned this before. Everything to do with the city/county goes on there, not just court so whenever I need to go there, I make sure to take extra smokes for him. He's been there forever, must be a good spot. Sometimes I bring him a sandwich or a coffee. <shrug> Yeah, I'm a soft touch.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#77880 Dec 28, 2012
Best part of doing good deeds is not bragging about them.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#77881 Dec 28, 2012
And if other people's germs could kill you, we'd all be dead by now, so relax.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#77882 Dec 28, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
And if other people's germs could kill you, we'd all be dead by now, so relax.
http://www.pamf.org/flu/spread.html

http://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

Dolt

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#77883 Dec 29, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Tell me the last time you caught influenza after letting someone borrow your cell phone. I have let strangers borrow my phone a number of times and I'm not dead yet. You refuse to help someone in need? How liberal of you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Whos not Surprised 1,109,554
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Straight Jacket 46,616
Amy 9-17-14 11 min liner 4
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 13 min Hatti_Hollerand 616
Amy 9-16 39 min Mister Tonka 39
Dear Abby 9-17-14 1 hr PEllen 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques from Ottawa 178,002
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info