“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#77844 Dec 28, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
ha! Fark's headlines of the year. HIlarious!!
http://www.fark.com/comments/7507648
LOLOL

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#77845 Dec 28, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>True dat!

I always feel guilty after thinking that kind of thing about the kid because I know it's the parents' faults. That doesn't make me *like* them any better OR be more tolerant of whatever the behavior is, but I do feel guilty because I know that a lot of times (most?) they really don't know any better. <shrug>
There's that and also even the best kid will have a bad day. I don't judge a kid for that, but I will judge a parent for how they handle it.

There is a kid in my neighborhood that my kids used to play with. My wife used to be friends with the mom too, but she's one of these "her kid can do no wrong" types (whereas I usually presume my kids did it absent something to the contrary, lol).

My middle son (he's very sweet like hus mom ... my youngest is a pickle ... so i don't have blinders on) came home and said he was being mean one day, and I said well don't play with him anymore.

Another time he just missed poking his eye out with a stick and my son had a big scratch right by his eye. After that, my response was, you aren't allowed to play with him. My wife wanting to smooth things over contacted the kids mom and she talked to him and he made up some story that my son said was untrue (if it were my youngest i might question him, but not my middle son).

I find out a few weeks ago, he's been antagonizing my son on the bus, sitting in the same seat with him when he doesn't want to sit by him, and there has been teasing back and forth. I guess this other kid started pinching him in the privates. I said whoa!!! I told him I don't care who the kid is, if anyone ever touches you, you have the right to defend yourself ... And you don't punch in the arm ... You punch them in the face and you keep doing it until they stop fighting back. He was afraid he'd get in trouble ... I said you might get in trouble with school, but you won't with me ... I really don't give a f' about the school ... My kids aren't gonna get abused.

My wife wanting to make peace again, called the mom ... Again he tells her some b.s story. Even my other boys said its not true. My wife said well sublime said if he hits him again W is to fight back. The mom said well I guess he should.

The thing is, even if its true ... We raise our kids with the understanding that it is never okay to initiate and hit someone (unless you are defending yourself). So why is this little twerp (he's much smaller than my son) hitting my son, regardless of what was said. Why isn't she telling him that's not okay? Crappy parenting.

They are only in 4th grade and this stuff is starting already. It didn't start for me until about 6th or 7th grade.

He's a big boy (he's tall for his age (my wife's dad is over 6 foot and her bro is about 6 foot five and he's got the linebacker frame (they all do) from my side), but he's sweet at this age.

If he's like me (I was sweet until I hit puberty ... not that I became mean after I hit puberty, but I wasn't taking shyte from any man ... And if dudes wanted to throw down I was always willing to do the blood ballet) he'll be just fine.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#77846 Dec 28, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Toj and I are going to do tequila shots and duke it out in our sports bras. ;)
I had a beer at lunch! YOU CAN'T STOP ME NOW!!!
Of course we are.

I need lime with my tequila shots, though.

Don't you live somewhere in Minnesota? Saw a Groupon for a downtown Minneapolis hotel.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#77847 Dec 28, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>

There is a kid in my neighborhood <snip>
Why is this kid pinching your son in his privates? This would be concerning for me not only for my own kid, but that it's a target for the other kid. I hate throwing around the "molestation" thing, but it is something *I* would be keeping in the back of my head to watch out for as best I could.

On another note, you know that the school is responsible for them while they are on the bus right? If the mom won't believe/so anything, I would be calling the school if it continues.

Location hidden

#77848 Dec 28, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>Why is this kid pinching your son in his privates? This would be concerning for me not only for my own kid, but that it's a target for the other kid. I hate throwing around the "molestation" thing, but it is something *I* would be keeping in the back of my head to watch out for as best I could.

On another note, you know that the school is responsible for them while they are on the bus right? If the mom won't believe/so anything, I would be calling the school if it continues.
Punching, I meant. That typo was brought to you by the iPhone, lol.

It seems to have stopped. The last few weeks there haven't been any problems. My wife has talked to the bus driver too.

The thing with the school is if someone is attacking your kid, getting the school involved is after the fact. I don't want my kids just to sit there, take it, get beat up, and then i go to the school after my kids already hurt. I certainly don't want them starting anything (and they know this), but they can always finish it.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#77849 Dec 28, 2012
Does it have a web cam?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course we are.
I need lime with my tequila shots, though.
Don't you live somewhere in Minnesota? Saw a Groupon for a downtown Minneapolis hotel.

Neda, stay with me!

#77850 Dec 28, 2012
Well, I cant speak about the firemen(women), but I believe that all cops carry their service weapons with them, even home.

So the next time you want to argue semantics, how about you get it right.

And since I have to use little words for you, let me clarify that those 3 people work construction, office and the 3rd person is a street sweeper.

All the firemen sleep with cops.

sensible enough for you now?
Dahgts wrote:
Chicago has maybe 3 people in the entire city who dont have a felony record and should be allowed to own a weapon. Unfortunately, they are the only people without one.
Do those 3 people include all the Chicago cops and firemen who are required to live in the city?
At least make your comments sensible.

Neda, stay with me!

#77851 Dec 28, 2012
sam is sooooo not gonna like your vulcan logic Mr. Tonka.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Glad its not just me. I've asked the question several times to both him and Sam. All I get back are questions and opinions as to why civilians need those weapons. In the world I live in, if you want to take something away from someone, you have to provide a reason, not expect people to go around justifying why they should get to keep what's already theirs.
I m not of the steadfast position that "you can't take my guns", I just want to hear a convincing argument as to why. Still waiting.

Neda, stay with me!

#77852 Dec 28, 2012
Pinching, punching....Same thing really. Teaching you kids to not DO those things, but defending themselves FROM those things is what parenting is about (of course Red cant say that cause she never had a kid travel down her vay=jay...) Oh, wait.. Neither did you.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Punching, I meant. That typo was brought to you by the iPhone, lol.
It seems to have stopped. The last few weeks there haven't been any problems. My wife has talked to the bus driver too.
The thing with the school is if someone is attacking your kid, getting the school involved is after the fact. I don't want my kids just to sit there, take it, get beat up, and then i go to the school after my kids already hurt. I certainly don't want them starting anything (and they know this), but they can always finish it.

Neda, stay with me!

#77853 Dec 28, 2012
I bought a thing of redi made moljito's been drinking them all afternoon. Think I will take a cab down to the ocean and back for dinner, wayyy to happy buzzed to worry about driving.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#77854 Dec 28, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>

Agreed. However if it starts back up again, I would definitely inform the school...just in case. Because you do realize right with the logical way people think that it's YOUR kid who will get in trouble?

Not like the old days. I remember this girl in 7th grade, her name was Joy...yeah ok, anyway she kept at me and kept at me (nothing physical, just harassment and what we today call stalking) until I just couldn't take it anymore.

One day, at the beginning of the last class of the day, I'd had enough...I let her have it all over the hall. SHE got in trouble, not me. But that was 36 years ago. Schools aren't reasonable like that anymore.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#77855 Dec 28, 2012
RACE wrote:
Does it have a web cam?
<quoted text>
You'd have to ask Red. Perhaps her and I can charge for closed-circuit, though.

You in?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#77856 Dec 28, 2012
Toj wrote:
For giving advice -- that's something different.
To say people who don't have children shouldn't give advice about child-rearing, or saying their opinions are meaningless, is like saying men can't have an opinion on women's rights. Or straights can't have an opinion on gay rights. Many childless people are still intelligent people and have problem solving skills. It is very close-minded to say their opinions aren't valid.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#77857 Dec 28, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. However if it starts back up again, I would definitely inform the school...just in case. Because you do realize right with the logical way people think that it's YOUR kid who will get in trouble?
Not like the old days. I remember this girl in 7th grade, her name was Joy...yeah ok, anyway she kept at me and kept at me (nothing physical, just harassment and what we today call stalking) until I just couldn't take it anymore.
One day, at the beginning of the last class of the day, I'd had enough...I let her have it all over the hall. SHE got in trouble, not me. But that was 36 years ago. Schools aren't reasonable like that anymore.
Lulu has already had a bully (thank FSM we don't see the little b!tch anymore) and my girl is so nice and sweet that even after being instructed to punch the girl in the face if she ever touched Lulu again, she didn't want to do it. She tried to get her to sit down in a "niceness circle" where you can only say nice things to each other. She honestly believed that this would cure the bully of her meanness.

But I don't think we're going to have any trouble in school, at least not until she goes to high school. She's currently attending a school named for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#77858 Dec 28, 2012
Is it just me, or does Curiosity look like it came from George Lucas' brain?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/28/curi...

I think it's pretty cool we put that up there.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#77859 Dec 28, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
To say people who don't have children shouldn't give advice about child-rearing, or saying their opinions are meaningless, is like saying men can't have an opinion on women's rights. Or straights can't have an opinion on gay rights. Many childless people are still intelligent people and have problem solving skills. It is very close-minded to say their opinions aren't valid.
Or people without guns on gun laws, right? Right?

Once again, never said anyone's opinion was meaningless.

Once again, I can be closed minded but not in the way you portray. You're a little late coming to the party.

Location hidden

#77860 Dec 28, 2012
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>Pinching, punching....Same thing really. Teaching you kids to not DO those things, but defending themselves FROM those things is what parenting is about (of course Red cant say that cause she never had a kid travel down her vay=jay...) Oh, wait.. Neither did you.
Ha!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#77861 Dec 28, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Or people without guns on gun laws, right? Right?
Once again, never said anyone's opinion was meaningless.
Once again, I can be closed minded but not in the way you portray. You're a little late coming to the party.
Well, I've been busy and I've got my own party. I welcome and respect the opinions of non gun owners on gun laws. I simply ask the 2A haters why they feel a gun ban is a viable solution and none have been able to answer. And you seem pretty dismissive of parenting ideas from childless people. How many ways can "close minded" be portrayed?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#77862 Dec 28, 2012
I was at the convenience store on my way home from work, and a guy didn't have quite enough for a pack of smokes (he was lik3 20 cents short from being ale to buy the cheapest pack). he was clean, dressed okay, but hey, you don't have to be a dirty homeless guy to be flat broke.

He asked the cashier if he could use the change from the penny cups, but she said no (and there was only pennies anyway). As I walked out with my stuff, I put about $1.75 in quarters and change in his hand, told him to buy a pack of smokes. He was shocked!

I literally told myself, "Mimi would have done that." :)

Location hidden

#77863 Dec 28, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed. However if it starts back up again, I would definitely inform the school...just in case. Because you do realize right with the logical way people think that it's YOUR kid who will get in trouble?

I think most schools nowadays have zero tolerance. I was given out of school suspended for every fight I got in, with the exception of one, which I had to serve one day in school suspension. The out of school ones were great. I got to stay home, sleep in late, watch the price is right. It didn't matter who started it or what the circumstances were.

The in school one was about the longest day of my life. I had to sit at a desk in a small office, be silent, with absolutely nothing to do all day. I got that in 7th grade. A behavior disorder kid had been picking on me for quite sometime in the locker room before and after gym. Then one day, unprovoked he put me in a chokehold from behind. His head was on my left shoulder. I repeatedly hit him with my right hand and then beat the snot out of him in the locker room. I remember the principal calling my mom and saying it looks like the other kid got the worst end of the deal, lol.

I actually got suspended two times the last week and a half of high school. After my first suspension, my first day back I beat the snot out of another kid (they were gang bangers ... Guy just kept talking and talking and talking and finally I couldn't take it anymore despite trying my best to avoid trouble and I said fine let's do it). I used jujitsu and choked him out, lol, after beating him to a pulp.

That one got bad and after I beat him I literally had to run for my life because weapons were pulled out. I kid you not, I'm running down the street with a bunch of his homies chasing me and my buddy comes flying down the road in a late 70s model Cadillac (I remember it had a hole in the floor ... It was a total beater) and he said "Sublime hurry get in" and I jumped in the back window) and he took me to go talk to my bros (my one bro used to pack) in case things kept spiraling out of control. I know one guy ended up going to prison from that ... I guess some people who had my back got attacked with weapons after I got out of there.

The next year after I graduated we had a police officer full time at my school, lol. School of hard knocks. Stone cold...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,110,758
OnePotChefShow 7 min Tan 1
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 48 min andet1987 621
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 58 min andet1987 1,473
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr andet1987 1,280
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr dont drink the ko... 46,696
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr HughBe 69,396
Amy 9-18 2 hr edogxxx 35
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr loose cannon 178,068
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••