Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#77596 Dec 23, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I am fine paying more taxes. I have never complained about how much my taxes are.
Paying 5k in taxes more each year would have a very limited effect on you, such that you would be completely fine with it? If so, Obama needs to stop focusing so much on the 1% and start focusing on single people in your income bracket.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#77597 Dec 23, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto
I posted the girls
Ditto someone else find the links
Ditto I shopped yesterday
Ditto but it was almost 10 when I hit the pillow.
Stop it.
Both of your Amys were the same letter from last week.

Here's Abby

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T4K1ODQ6VC...

Thanks for reminding me about shopping! Our family's celebrating our Christmas today. Better run to the store!

Location hidden

#77598 Dec 23, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Whether it's important enough or not, generally people don't know how to do this as one person or they don't want the backlash. Hell, on here you can't even have a discussion. Not once did the pro-gun guys ever concede that there might be things that can be done. When mental illness comes up they think of it as a separate issue with the gun issue. Mental illness is a separate issue generally, but there is a specific issue (component if you will) connected to gun laws.

I don't have the answer, but I think dialogue is how you come to ideas on these types of issues.

To me, gun advocates are like pro-life advocates. You cannot bring up one thing without them shutting down.

People, that does not mean there isn't one person in those groups that cannot have a discussion -- I'm saying MOST -- not all.

Red, you are pro-gun but you see different sides to the issue. I would like probably more gun control than you but yet I respect your views b/c you listen and say, "Ya, I understand but..." I can respect that. This maniac thinking -- don't take away my stuff, my rights!-- drives me nuts. Talking, discussing doesn't take away anyone's rights for goodness sakes.

And actually, if I had to pick a cause it would be children where I would focus. It wouldn't be guns. Although I think that is a big issue as well. I also believe mental illness -- how we treat it, the perception and the laws -- need to be changed big time.
My problem with the issue is that a ban on assault rifles won't stop these sorts of things from happening. That guy could have done the same thing with 2 or 3 hand guns and a bunch of clips ... Maybe even one ... And a bunch of clips.

So, I think if we are to focus on stopping these things from happening, instead of wasting time, effort, and resources on knee jerk reactions that do almost nothing to make us safer, we should look to things that would actually be effective.

Furthermore, I don't think an all out ban will stop maniacs from killing lots of folks. Lets say we ban all guns and somehow remove all of them from society .. a mentally ill person could probably kill more people by driving down the mag mile during the holiday season or many of the streets in downtown Chicago or NY during the morning rush and veering onto the sidewalk in a large SUV. What are we going to do then, ban ever vehicle larger than a pinto ... put concrete barriers along every single sidewalk. Go ahead, someone will figure something else out.

There is very little you can do to stop a homicidal maniac with a death wish and months of planning from killing lots of people. That's just a fact.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#77599 Dec 23, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My problem with the issue is that a ban on assault rifles won't stop these sorts of things from happening. That guy could have done the same thing with 2 or 3 hand guns and a bunch of clips ... Maybe even one ... And a bunch of clips.
So, I think if we are to focus on stopping these things from happening, instead of wasting time, effort, and resources on knee jerk reactions that do almost nothing to make us safer, we should look to things that would actually be effective.
Furthermore, I don't think an all out ban will stop maniacs from killing lots of folks. Lets say we ban all guns and somehow remove all of them from society .. a mentally ill person could probably kill more people by driving down the mag mile during the holiday season or many of the streets in downtown Chicago or NY during the morning rush and veering onto the sidewalk in a large SUV. What are we going to do then, ban ever vehicle larger than a pinto ... put concrete barriers along every single sidewalk. Go ahead, someone will figure something else out.
There is very little you can do to stop a homicidal maniac with a death wish and months of planning from killing lots of people. That's just a fact.
Yet, overturning Roe v. Wade would eliminate abortion?

Ya know, you people have some odd ideas on regulations. Sheesh- nothing in life can be completely prevented so, "why try?"

Laws against robbing banks have done NOTHING to eliminate bank robbery...

Location hidden

#77600 Dec 23, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Yet, overturning Roe v. Wade would eliminate abortion?
Ya know, you people have some odd ideas on regulations. Sheesh- nothing in life can be completely prevented so, "why try?"
Who is talking about Roe v. Wade? I am not in favor of outlawing abortion. I do, however, not think it is constitutionally protected. I am an originist when it comes to constitutional construction. In my world, whether abortion is legal or not, should be up to each state to decide. Certain states would make it legal, certain states would make it illegal. Thatís how our republic was supposed to work.

Also, for what it is worth, overturning Roe v. Wade would drastically cut down on abortions, assuming it were accompanied by some federal ban (However, as an originist, I donít think the federal government has the right to legislate on that issue such as to enact a federal ban Ö so far as it pertains to citizens of a state deciding they wish to have an abortion instate ... that's not interstate commerce to me).

In contrast, banning the sale of assault rifles will do almost nothing to prevent homicidal maniacs with a death wish from taking a lot of people with them. So your comparison is not on point.

Robbing banks? Please, I think a lot more banks would be robbed if it were not illegal and poice did not show up to stop robbers, folks were not deterred with the threat of jail, and all you had to do was take out a rent a cop. Neither of your examples are close to being on point, Fer.

Forgive me if I donít like feel good laws that do almost nothing to address the underlying issue they are attempting to address. I hardly think the families of those kids would feel better if their kids had instead died because the guy came in with 3 hand guns and a bunch of ammo and took them all out, as opposed to using an assault rifle. With no one armed at schools, I fail to see how it would have played out any different.

Instead of knee jerk reactions, Iíd like ones that actually substantially mitigate the risk to children at schools, both as a father and a citizen.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Melrose Park, IL

#77601 Dec 23, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Yet, overturning Roe v. Wade would eliminate abortion?
Glad you're above making false equivalencies!

And we've had a conservative supreme court for our entire history and many terms of republican control of everything and yet, Roe v Wade has never been overturned and never will be. Jes sayin.
Sam I Am

Chicago, IL

#77602 Dec 23, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with Toj. I think he knows just how to push people's buttons around here. Some of it he may believe but on other points he is just jerking our chains just to see who will bark.
That is a sad, pathetic way to be.

Location hidden

#77603 Dec 23, 2012
I never said I was above making false equivalencies. I just make them to illustrate reichwing hypocrisy, like banning abortion to eliminate abortion.

Guns won't be banned by the courts or confiscated by this president either but, that doesn't stop reichwingers from crying about that whenever gun control is mentioned.

I just find fault in republicans thinking that something controlled (like abortion) should instead be banned when something that directly affects every citizen (like guns) shouldn't be controlled at all. Thus, false equivalencies just for fun!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#77604 Dec 23, 2012
Happy Festivus, bitches.

Carry on with your airing of greviances.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#77605 Dec 23, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Happy Festivus, bitches.
Nice to see you stop by. There was speculation something awful happened to you. Glad we were wrong.

You have a good holiday too.

Location hidden

#77606 Dec 23, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
I never said I was above making false equivalencies. I just make them to illustrate reichwing hypocrisy, like banning abortion to eliminate abortion.

Guns won't be banned by the courts or confiscated by this president either but, that doesn't stop reichwingers from crying about that whenever gun control is mentioned.

I just find fault in republicans thinking that something controlled (like abortion) should instead be banned when something that directly affects every citizen (like guns) shouldn't be controlled at all. Thus, false equivalencies just for fun!
Well, I dunno why you are directing such things towards me. Outside of fiscal matters, I side with the left on many issues. And while you like to label me a reichwinger and a Fox News junkie, I can't stand fox news. I even voted for O'dummy the election before last.

Location hidden

#77607 Dec 23, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
Happy Festivus, bitches.

Merry Christmas, bro!

Location hidden

#77608 Dec 23, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I dunno why you are directing such things towards me. Outside of fiscal matters, I side with the left on many issues. And while you like to label me a reichwinger and a Fox News junkie, I can't stand fox news. I even voted for O'dummy the election before last.
That was for both you dummies. I'm watching football. Can only multitask so much...Plus, I barely read yours...

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#77610 Dec 23, 2012
They got back together.

I haves serious question. We were going to do Christmas dinner just the three of us girls: me, A, and her roommate. I was telling myself if the bf ended up back in the picture, I wouldn't go. I never told A this though so she assumes I'm still going.

I'm considering it, only because I want to make the choice that will result in the least amount of stress for me. Backing out would be hard, and he's tolerable to be around - he saves the crazy for when the rest of us aren't around.

Thought?

Merry freaking Christmas.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#77611 Dec 23, 2012
*have a

Darn iPad ;)

Location hidden

#77612 Dec 23, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>That was for both you dummies. I'm watching football. Can only multitask so much...Plus, I barely read yours...
I suggest you stick to football meathead and leave politics to those with an IQ above 75...

Location hidden

#77613 Dec 23, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
They got back together.

I haves serious question. We were going to do Christmas dinner just the three of us girls: me, A, and her roommate. I was telling myself if the bf ended up back in the picture, I wouldn't go. I never told A this though so she assumes I'm still going.

I'm considering it, only because I want to make the choice that will result in the least amount of stress for me. Backing out would be hard, and he's tolerable to be around - he saves the crazy for when the rest of us aren't around.

Thought?

I couldn't be friends with someone that dumb. I would rather spend christmas alone. Those are my thoughts.

Location hidden

#77614 Dec 23, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you stick to football meathead and leave politics to those with an IQ above 75...
Yikes! Where's your Xmas spirit???
Thanks for being brief!

Location hidden

#77615 Dec 23, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Yikes! Where's your Xmas spirit???
Thanks for being brief!
I was only brief because it's Christmas time. Don't ever say I never did anything for ya.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#77616 Dec 23, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
They got back together.
Thought?
Show up. Be there. Make sure he understands she has friends that won't let her be isolated.Smile at him a lot. Make him nervous. Ask detailed questions about his friends and family in Peru and how different teh culture is between the 2 countries. Ask for his mother's address because you heard there were some gorgeous Peruvian woven wool somethings or teh recipe for making Peruvian roast chicken or something and you would love her input. Smile at him when you press that you don't want to bother him, its a (you know)ladies-not girl, ladies- thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 16 min Pete 1,524,178
Slop em some more God!!! 29 min doG mnDaed lyoH r... 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr District 1 240,432
A few ITEMS of interest. 4 hr JOCULARITY JOCULA... 4
Can't Believe They Teach, Idiots. 5 hr Not on my watch 1
News Should Prince Charles step up and step down? (Apr '13) 6 hr test 3
To Top Up and Recharge Wireless Mobile Cell Pho... 7 hr financewoman 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages