Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Watching the news as they are talking about the weather in the Chicago area and how O'Hare is shit down right now. They said Twitter is the best way to communicate with the airlines.

Who here does not have a smartphone or tablet?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
Watching the news as they are talking about the weather in the Chicago area and how O'Hare is shit down right now. They said Twitter is the best way to communicate with the airlines.
It's 630 am here. O'Hare isn't shut down according to the Tribune and CBS local websites. They cancel flights all teh time there but the airport is open. I have heard jets overhead.

(I got my smartphone in July, finally)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Upstairs neighbor's college son came home drunk last night and STOMPED AROUND (walking heavier due to drunkeness IMO and also some stumbling/falling) for over three hours. Until 4;30 a.m.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
They said Twitter is the best way to communicate with the airlines.
For some reason, I find this to be a depressing statement. I don't have a twitter account. I would hate to be in a situation where I felt compelled to create one to simply catch a flight.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Upstairs neighbor's college son came home drunk last night and STOMPED AROUND (walking heavier due to drunkeness IMO and also some stumbling/falling) for over three hours. Until 4;30 a.m.
Sounds like he could use a wake-up call about now.

Jasper and I did that in a hotel once; the people in the room next door were super loud into the wee hours (the front desk kept offering to have us switch rooms - um, no, I'm unpacked, I'm in my pj's, trying to sleep. Make THEM switch). They finally knocked it off around 4, we called their room at 7:30ish, said "good morning" and hung up.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
www.twitter.com

No smart phone necessary.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

VoiceOfReezon wrote:
<quoted text> www.twitter.com

No smart phone necessary.
How do you access that from the airport without a smartphone or tablet?

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>It's 630 am here. O'Hare isn't shut down according to the Tribune and CBS local websites. They cancel flights all teh time there but the airport is open. I have heard jets overhead.

(I got my smartphone in July, finally)
The news reporters around here tend to be rather sensationalistic. That's why I take it with a grain of salt.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Are we still doing this anymore?

Amy

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TODNK3AHC7...

Abby

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TT2LGK69I4...

Well, today might be the day! A giant meteor might crash into Earth and solve all our problems! Here's to hoping!

Got the former houseguest and her bf crashed on the couch. The joys of being young, jobless and homeless!

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
O'Hare is shit
Yes. Yes it is.
:)

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you access that from the airport without a smartphone or tablet?
Perhaps I am not as seasoned a traveler as you, so you tell me, if you are already at the airport, why would you need twitter or any other form of communicating with them? There are flight boards telling you the flight status. There are airline personnel at the airport to answer your questions. I assumed you were concerned for people who wanted to phone the airline from home so as to not waste a trip to the airport to find their flight cancelled.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

I am not not one who wants the weapons removed, and I have consistently said the you CANT stop something like what happened thru legislation, so how about you address the issue and supply specifics?

I admit that I cant because I dont think its possible, short of knowing who the crazies are to begin with and then lock them up.
Dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure know how to skirt the issue. Remove venues? What does that mean. How about specifics as to how everyone in the country can "man" up. So far I haven't read any man substantive ideas. Just 2nd amend.whining.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

VoiceOfReezon wrote:
if you are already at the airport, why would you need twitter or any other form of communicating with them?
Because we've become a society where people will look down on their smartphone and spend five minutes doing a search instead of looking up and reading the board.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Gun shit still?
::goes back into her cave::
OK, Mimi, I'll knock it off. I just don't have many friends IRL, and I needed to discuss this with *somebody*.

So is everyone ready for Christmas?

I've got some wrapping to do and some last minute gift cards to buy (for my nephews - they're getting iTunes cards) and I'm going to spend all weekend (and probably Monday morning too) baking. Gotta do this flourless chocolate torte for our downstairs neighbors (one boy is allergic to wheat) and everyone else is getting banana bread with chocolate chips. But that's going to be like 5-6 loaves. Good thing I have little helpers!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the girls in the christmas pageant on Christmas Eve at church. They're both angles with one line "Gloria!" so it should be really fun for them (as oppososed to being nervous about remembering lines).
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
No amount of reasons or excuses will change the opinions of those who believe assault weapons should be banned.
Look, shooting is a sport. Some people enjoy spending a couple hours at the shooting range as others do spending an afternoon on the golf course, or shopping, or getting a mani/pedi.
If what someone enjoys doing in his leisure time makes you so queasy and uncomfortable that you wish to take his rights away, who are you to dictate what free time activities others are allowed to do? Why do your wishes trump theirs?
Why aren't we more focused on mental health issues instead of this knee-jerk reaction of wanting to prevent people from purchasing a weapon of their choice?
Listen, dum dum, we live in a society that is based in no small part on balancing liberties and responsibilities, freedoms and boundaries. Not everyone will agree on where the lines should be drawn, but there have to be lines. And those lines aren't based on "'Cause no one can tell me not to" or "Screw everyone else, I want...." They are based on discussion and reason. I know you feel handicapped by that since you excel at neither, but that's the way it is.

People ask why allow assault weapons becasue it's a legitimate question. I don't like guns, but I can allow that handguns have a prupose for protection. Rifles have a purpose for hunting. No one has explained the purpose of assault weapons for civilians. Even amongst police, only a small percentage have access to anything similar to assault weapons. Shooting is a sport? Go sport shoot handguns and rifles.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
No, lets not asshat! How about you just admit that your trying to run a script. Its time for you do stop doing that thing that I find so very annoying about you, or are you unwilling to play by your own rules?
<quoted text>
Run a script? What does that even mean? I am asking a question that a lot of people are asking. You have no problem shooting your mouth off about darn near anything, yet you can't answer a simple question. Why aren't handguns and rifles enough? What legitimate purpose is there for citizens to have assault weapons?

If you wanted something banned and I didn't and you asked me why, I would certainly think that to be a fair question. If you can't think of a legitimate purpose and all you have is "No one can tell me what to do," then just say that.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep the gun under the "main" desk. That desk should never be unmanned. Any liquor store owner will tell you this.
Now we're guiding our policies by the thought process of someone who's level of achievement is selling 6-packs and lottery tickets? Sweet Moses.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, Mimi, I'll knock it off. I just don't have many friends IRL, and I needed to discuss this with *somebody*.
So is everyone ready for Christmas?
I've got some wrapping to do and some last minute gift cards to buy (for my nephews - they're getting iTunes cards) and I'm going to spend all weekend (and probably Monday morning too) baking. Gotta do this flourless chocolate torte for our downstairs neighbors (one boy is allergic to wheat) and everyone else is getting banana bread with chocolate chips. But that's going to be like 5-6 loaves. Good thing I have little helpers!
I'm really looking forward to seeing the girls in the christmas pageant on Christmas Eve at church. They're both angles with one line "Gloria!" so it should be really fun for them (as oppososed to being nervous about remembering lines).
I LOVE banana bread with chocolate chips! Let me know if you have extra and need my address.
;)

I'm almost done shopping, just going to run to Total Wine and Kohl's tonight (down by my old place... sniff).

Finally got Christmas Day plans somewhat ironed out last night (Eve is still up in the air) and I need to clean and run errands tomorrow and then Sunday will be pretty much totally taken up between church and the Dolphins game. I'm really looking forward to a 4-day weekend!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

I had one more shopping trip I had to make but I've been avoiding going to the stores now that it's in full swing. But friends and I are getting together for breakfast at 8 a.m. tomorrow -- they'll go see The Hobbit afterwards, I'll go shopping. One friend is bringing me smoky treats as a christmas present -- is that cool or what?:)

Mainly, I'm glad that I am getting forced out of the house in the morning.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

67 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ask Amy 8-1-14 24 min Shari23 19
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 25 min TRD 68,107
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 26 min woodtick57 1,084,932
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 48 min honeymylove 486
Abby 8-1-14 54 min Mister Tonka 10
The Lollapalooza Music Festival is War on Cultu... 1 hr Culture Auditor 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr Terry rigsby 49,032
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Jacques in Ottawa 175,260
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search