Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

RACE wrote:
And can you think of a single law that could be drawn up that would do that?
To me, that is just more warm fuzzy legislation.
<quoted text>
Warm fuzzy legislation? You can't imagine any better mental health programs and/or legislation?

You can't fathom a broken window at a school or a breach of a metal detector would automatically summon the police?

There's more than just this incidence that we should be thinking about.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
If the government turns into a dictorship, your one little gun, no matter how many bullets it shoots at one time, ain't gonna help much. They will have more.
That's kind of my point. The government has big, powerful guns, so to should it's citizens. The founding fathers who crafted our constitution came from an oppressive and tyrannical government. They made very clear that a free America will never allow that to happen again.
squishymama wrote:
I'm sorry, I just feel like if you're going to kill someone, it shouldn't be so f*cking easy.

Many people are strangled to death by bare hands. Many are stabbed. It's unfortunate but humans are easy to kill. Banning firearms will do nothing to solve this problem.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Toj wrote:
There's a long list of what you can do to be safer.
And none of them include gun bans. You said it yourself, limiting WHO should be able to access a gun would be more beneficial to stopping gun violence than just banning guns for everyone.

We should not let a few screwballs who've done damage with firearms ruin it for the rest of us. You're the same people who claim we shouldn't fear Islam because of a few extremists. I urge you to use that same logic when it comes to gun control.

I don't really want to keep this debate going because it's just a round and around argument and views on either side won't change. But it sure beats hearing lame jokes!
(Sqishy, I first heard that joke at church camp when I was 14. The camp counselor was a minister named Art! The joke was told by his assistant.)

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Toj wrote:
You can't fathom a broken window at a school or a breach of a metal detector would automatically summon the police?
No, actually.

Are you familiar with how metal detectors work? Should they be connected to the local police command center who will send a team of officers if someone comes through with a large belt buckle? Should all windows have infrared laser devices that will also notify police of a a breach?

“WE WON TOPIX! YAY!”

Since: Jun 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish I could find the piece I heard on NPR the other day (I did look, btw) where they were talking about Switzerland. Every able-bodied man is part of their militia and is required to keep a gun, ready to use, in their house. Yet there is little violence there, so it must have something to do with their culture. The professor interviewed had some interesting things to say, which I can't remember now since I heard it with one ear while I was working.
So I guess I'm trying to say that there is something in our culture that fosters violence and lack of respect for human life. And that's something that can't be legislated.
Here's something about that:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/...

It does seem to be a cultural thing. People from anywhere can snap in anger and do bad things but, having guns at the ready is definitely a game changer that is typically American.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Here's something about that:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/...
It does seem to be a cultural thing. People from anywhere can snap in anger and do bad things but, having guns at the ready is definitely a game changer that is typically American.
So explain that guy in Norway which has a culture that seems loser in this respect to Switzerland than the US

“WE WON TOPIX! YAY!”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
So explain that guy in Norway which has a culture that seems loser in this respect to Switzerland than the US
That was easy for you to say...

That guy was his own brand of wacko, I guess. Put a gun in the hands of any crazy/angry/alloftheabove persons and, it can get ugly. You know, shootings like that aren't common place in Norway. They've been happening quite a bit here though...

Of late, the right cites Australia's crackdown on guns after the '96 massacre in Port Arthur, Tasmania (35 dead, 21 wounded) claiming it resulted in "high crime". Not true, according to my Aussie friend. She does not live in fear of roving bands of armed criminals and her country hasn't had a mass slaying since.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Just saw this http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/20/boys-mak...

I think that part of what we should be doing as a society is teaching kids that guns are not toys. Most children who grow up being properly instructed on how to use and respect guns do not turn into gun-crazy hoarders or end up as mass murderers. Banning guns turns them into forbidden fruit.

Yesterday, two of the kids in Ry's class got into trouble because they were making guns out of their fingers and shooting each other and other kids.
They were both sent to the principal's office and had to talk to the counselor, but thankfully weren't suspended (as I'm sure they would have been in other districts). Kids imitate what they see on tv, in the movies and on their video games. How many of us grew up playing cops and robbers or cowboys and indians? Those games aren't so innocent anymore. We have to be the ones to actually raise our kids instead of letting electronics do the work for us. We can't keep them in bubbles or be naive about what they may face in the real world. That doesn't mean living in fear, but preparing our children to be responsible and enforcing the importance of making wise decisions.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

First of all, I’m for the assault weapons ban. Seems like the ladies here are the ones with common sense. No, that alone won’t solve the problem and there will still, unfortunately, be these awful incidents.

Lock down the schools…they have to pay security guards, which means some educational and arts programs are cut to pay for them.
Address the mental health issues…who pays for that?

You see all the Amby and others letters that address someone’s problem with a relative who is a bit “off”. There are always answers that say see a therapist. How many of those letter writers follow through with that advice. Fear, lack of money, denial all enter into not getting the troubled person some help. Not everybody has top of the line health insurance to pay for treatment. And if the troubled person is an adult they can’t be forced into treatment unless they really do something dangerous to themselves or others.

You guys who keep saying now that mental health issues should be looked at are the same ones who with the rest of your right wing buddies are on the side of the politicians who don’t seem to have a problem with funding for social services and schools cut. The right wants more money for military, has no problem with subsidizing the oil companies and giving huge tax breaks to corporations, and doesn’t understand why higher income people can’t pay a few more percentage points in income tax.

This seems to be the year of Republican politicians being stupid. The Texas guy, for instance, that the principal should have had an assault weapon in her office. Dumb…what good would that do if she was in the bathroom or in a classroom.

So put your money where your mouth is.

There is no one size fits all answer to this problem. These shootings are becoming an epidemic in this country. Just keep in your mind the picture of all those little ones.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
Yesterday, two of the kids in Ry's class got into trouble because they were making guns out of their fingers and shooting each other and other kids.
Oh for Godssake, children can be suspended for that now?

Maybe the problem is allowing liberals to control our schools? And our country.

On the bright side, the world might not end tomorrow but at least Obama will make sure we go off the fiscal cliff and we can look forward to even higher unemployment and a more lackluster economy and trillions more in debt for the next four years! Which side of despair should we root for?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

dahgts wrote:
First of all, I’m for the assault weapons ban. Seems like the ladies here are the ones with common sense. No, that alone won’t solve the problem and there will still, unfortunately, be these awful incidents.
Lock down the schools…they have to pay security guards, which means some educational and arts programs are cut to pay for them.
Address the mental health issues…who pays for that?
You see all the Amby and others letters that address someone’s problem with a relative who is a bit “off”. There are always answers that say see a therapist. How many of those letter writers follow through with that advice. Fear, lack of money, denial all enter into not getting the troubled person some help. Not everybody has top of the line health insurance to pay for treatment. And if the troubled person is an adult they can’t be forced into treatment unless they really do something dangerous to themselves or others.
You guys who keep saying now that mental health issues should be looked at are the same ones who with the rest of your right wing buddies are on the side of the politicians who don’t seem to have a problem with funding for social services and schools cut. The right wants more money for military, has no problem with subsidizing the oil companies and giving huge tax breaks to corporations, and doesn’t understand why higher income people can’t pay a few more percentage points in income tax.
This seems to be the year of Republican politicians being stupid. The Texas guy, for instance, that the principal should have had an assault weapon in her office. Dumb…what good would that do if she was in the bathroom or in a classroom.
So put your money where your mouth is.
There is no one size fits all answer to this problem. These shootings are becoming an epidemic in this country. Just keep in your mind the picture of all those little ones.
You've indicated the problems with your solution in your solution.

People want cuts to the military then complain the military doesn't do enough for its veterans.

I believe the government should stop sending money to a lot of people, including our enemies.

Keep the gun under the "main" desk. That desk should never be unmanned. Any liquor store owner will tell you this.

Oh, and unless world peace has been declared and no one bothered to tell me, I don't think massive cuts to our military is a good idea.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's not. Safer is SAFETY MECHANISMS. Safer is TRAINING. Safer is limiting the number of mentally unbalanced people getting their hands on them or going without treatment to reduce the risk.
There's a long list of what you can do to be safer.
I still say that most of it comes down to having health care available for all. Mental and physical.
Healthy, happy people don't kill others.
All of those countries with high gun ownership and low murder rates? I'm pretty sure all of those mentioned so far have universal health care.

“WE WON TOPIX! YAY!”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You've indicated the problems with your solution in your solution.
People want cuts to the military then complain the military doesn't do enough for its veterans.
I believe the government should stop sending money to a lot of people, including our enemies.
Keep the gun under the "main" desk. That desk should never be unmanned. Any liquor store owner will tell you this.
Oh, and unless world peace has been declared and no one bothered to tell me, I don't think massive cuts to our military is a good idea.
Military!? What part of "WELL REGULATED MILITIA" are you wiping your butt with? The founders were against standing armies. There's nothing you and the other Wolverines can't handle with your Bushmasters.

I'm not gonna say that you're stupid. I just believe you have bad luck at thinking.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Judged:

oh christ, you are all a bunch of idiots.
What the hell does being republican have to do with Connecticut?

Crazy people will do crazy things, and we just cant stop that unless we can man up and say "Yo peeps, this cat is crazy" and remove all venues for that person to go postal.4147
Dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
oh christ, you are all a bunch of idiots.
What the hell does being republican have to do with Connecticut?
Crazy people will do crazy things, and we just cant stop that unless we can man up and say "Yo peeps, this cat is crazy" and remove all venues for that person to go postal.4147
You sure know how to skirt the issue. Remove venues? What does that mean. How about specifics as to how everyone in the country can "man" up. So far I haven't read any man substantive ideas. Just 2nd amend.whining.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Judged:

Gun shit still?

::goes back into her cave::

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Gun shit still?

::goes back into her cave::
Word.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Ferrerman wrote:
I just believe you have bad luck at thinking.
And I just believe you have bad luck at life, relationships, jobs... Really sorry, man.

“WE WON TOPIX! YAY!”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And I just believe you have bad luck at life, relationships, jobs... Really sorry, man.
Ouch. Meow.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Ouch. Meow.
Meow. You're kind of sexy when you're sexy. Make me say ouch, daddy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

74 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min TheIndependentMajority 1,084,930
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 11 min honeymylove 486
Abby 8-1-14 16 min Mister Tonka 10
Ask Amy 8-1-14 20 min Mister Tonka 18
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 42 min Muzzies r terrorists 68,106
The Lollapalooza Music Festival is War on Cultu... 54 min Culture Auditor 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Terry rigsby 49,032
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Jacques in Ottawa 175,260
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search