“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#77536 Dec 21, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And more importantly, the Constitution.
<quoted text>
Yes we have. The government should fear the people. Not the other way around. No one has explained why we should be pushing for more gun control while gun control has been proven ineffective.
<quoted text>
You don't get to dictate what sporting equipment I'm allowed to use.
The government should fear the people? Um, I think you want to live in Sudan. Really.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#77537 Dec 21, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And more importantly, the Constitution.
<quoted text>
Yes we have. The government should fear the people. Not the other way around. No one has explained why we should be pushing for more gun control while gun control has been proven ineffective.
<quoted text>
You don't get to dictate what sporting equipment I'm allowed to use.
Nice how you like to pick and choose from the Constitution when it's convenient for you.

The government should fear the people? Really? Where does that come from? Since when is that a healthy, effective way to operate? DO you think our government fears the people? If you do, you're kidding yourself. And gun control doesn't work? A few days ago I gave a list of 6 countries with gun control whose COMBINED homicide rates were less than ours.

You are as mentally crippled as Race. You can't answer the simple question as to why handguns and rifles aren't enough. You really think that a few hilljacks being able to shoot 30 bullets without reloading instead of 10 is worth Newtown and Aurora and Tuscon? Most police don't have assault weapons, why should citizens? You're just another small-minded peon who wants to get his way for the sake of getting his way because it happens so seldom.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#77538 Dec 21, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe their level of achievement is running a successful business? Way to snub your nose at all those working behind the counter.
Nothing wrong with working in a liquor store. I just don't want the guy behind the counter making policy for the rest of us. I wouldn't want most people making policy for the rest of us. If you want a guy selling Marlboros at a gas station to be your guiding light, then start making campaign signs. I prefer someone with a little more solid pedigree.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#77539 Dec 21, 2012
Me, again.

A skeptical anthropologist was cataloguing South American folk remedies with the assistance of a tribal elder who indicated that the leaves of a
particular fern were a sure cure for any case of constipation.

When the anthropologist expressed his doubts, the elder looked him in the eye and said, "Let me tell you, with fronds like these, you don't need enemas."

PEllen

Chicago, IL

#77540 Dec 21, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
The government should fear the people? Um, I think you want to live in Sudan. Really.
Tyrants should fear the people.

Not all government is tyrannical

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#77541 Dec 21, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I didn't say that I'd like to ban all guns. It's not even feasible in this country, so I won't tilt at that windmill.
You're right, I know very little about guns. I've shot at some watermelons on a farm with a rifle (?) and fired an M-16 at a firing range in college. That brief experience scared me; that thing was so powerful. The girl next to me couldn't even keep it level once she pulled the trigger; could see the bullets making a hugh arc over her target.(The range was built into the side of dam, so it was all outdoors.) The ROTC guy came and took it away from her. But I do remember that on semi-auto, 3 bullets came out with one pull on the trigger; they wouldn't let us put it on fully automatic. And that seemed quite enough to seriously wound or kill anyone.
So as a soldier, do you really believe that someone like me, who knows next to nothing about guns should be able to buy an M-16 or something similar with just a few hours of training and a laminated card? Doesn't a weapon like that really belong in the hands of people who have trained for hours, even days, on how to use it?
All I can think of is that some of those children might have been just wounded if the gun used hadn't been able to cut them in half with one pull of the trigger.
I'm just pointing out that in a situation like last week, the caliber of the weapon doesn't really mean very much, and there really isn't any ban that could have totally prevented him from committing that tragedy. He had ample time to reload, was shooting from nearly point-blank range, and had already killed those most likely to stop him before he got to the kids. Like you, I would like to live in a world where only responsible, trained, SANE people have access to guns, but I would also like to live in a world where nobody drives drunk, or sends their children on a bus with dynamite strapped to their chests. Sadly, we don't live there.

Two of my concerns with a ban...

Putting one in place is going to prevent gun-makers from selling new ones. It isn't going to get rid of guns that are already out there. The '94 ban didn't even try to collect those that people already owned, and even if they did, I suspect that most owners would simply hide them.

Even if somehow a ban was completely successful, the next loser who wants to make a name for himself would just use a different weapon, and then we would have the debate start all over again. With a traditional six-round revolver and a pocket full of ammo, someone could have killed even more of those children, and as horrible as last Friday was, we are lucky that he killed himself when he did rather than continue to shoot them. Like you said, we will never get rid of all of them.

Here are a couple things I would like to see change...
We seem to have gotten to a point where it is more important to build up little Johnny's self-esteem, even if it is on a totally false foundation, than it is to teach him that everyone's life has value...not just his own. Every kid is the star of their own universe, while everyone else should just revolve around them.

No kid sits on a bench. Nobody fails a class. But then you become an adult and there is nobody monitoring to make sure the playing field is even, whether you have any skills or not. Some people just can't cope with that because they never learned that life isn't fair when they were young.

I would be thrilled if this were simply a gun problem. It isn't. It's deeper, and that makes it scarier.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#77542 Dec 21, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Tyrants should fear the people.
Not all government is tyrannical
Hence, my suggestion for him to move to Sudan.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#77543 Dec 21, 2012
Fear of the people is the only thing that keeps the government in check come election time. Unless they don't have to run for reelection.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#77544 Dec 21, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Ours is a "government of the people".

He needs to narrow it down some.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#77545 Dec 21, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Why aren't handguns and rifles enough? What legitimate purpose is there for citizens to have assault weapons?
Here ya go, Sammy:

This is right from an article from CNN

Background:

Background can factor into a gun owner's choice of weapon. "The AR-15 is what I am used to from my extensive training as an airborne infantryman," says iReporter Nathan Lee. "Because of my training, it's what I feel the most comfortable with."

Hunting:

Another reason for these guns is hunting. The AR-15 is a "good hunting platform. I've hunted coyote with it," says CNN iReporter MVR155, who owns two of the weapons.

Owners of military-style rifles also use them to hunt deer and other game. But some states have banned the AR-15 and its .223 caliber for deer hunting.

'Protecting my family'

"I believe the foremost person responsible for protecting my family and myself is me," says iReporter Rowland Parks, who owns a pair of AR-15s. "These rifles provide me with the tools to perform that duty. I don't own these guns to target shoot, though I do that with them. I don't hunt with them, though I could in a pinch."
Parks says he "would not hesitate to use one to simply defend my home and family from a single intruder if it became necessary."
In some home-protection situations, fans say military-style rifles are generally more accurate than handguns. Rifles are generally easier to learn how to shoot, say military-style rifle owners.
Like most firearms, military-style weapons such as the AR-15 are semiautomatic -- increasing protection because the shooter can fire off many shots without having to manually chamber a new bullet. With a bolt-action rifle or pump-action shotgun, firing multiple shots takes more time.

I honestly can't say I'm surprised that someone, such as yourself, who thinks a homeowner who shoots two robbers who have broken into his home is the bad guy in that scenario, unless he makes it a gun duel, gives them a fair chance to kill him too, or is kind enough to say HELLO ROBBERS, I'm down in the basement waiting for you ... I just wanted you loving criminals who have broken into my home to have a fighting chance should you decide to attack me instead of leaving ... I wouldn't want Sam I Am to think I'm a pu$say or something!

The irony of you calling some guy a pu$say when you hang out with metrosexuals who frequent nail salons and get their hair permed is profound.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#77546 Dec 21, 2012
MEOW!

it's like herding cats in here.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#77548 Dec 21, 2012
Fine, want it banned all you want. I dont even care as to your reasons for wanting it banned, so please respect my right for not wanting it banned, and not feeling the need to defend my position to you.'Cause, you see stupid, I dont have to, so I wont.

Now kindly stop that breathing thing you are doing, I find it totally offensive.

Thanks in advance, and dont waste you time answering this, I am done with you (yay finally a resolution I will keep)

Cheers, and dont forget about that breathing thing.

RACE.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Run a script? What does that even mean? I am asking a question that a lot of people are asking. You have no problem shooting your mouth off about darn near anything, yet you can't answer a simple question. Why aren't handguns and rifles enough? What legitimate purpose is there for citizens to have assault weapons?
If you wanted something banned and I didn't and you asked me why, I would certainly think that to be a fair question. If you can't think of a legitimate purpose and all you have is "No one can tell me what to do," then just say that.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#77549 Dec 21, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
MEOW!

it's like herding cats in here.
Well, in all seriousness, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to everyone.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#77550 Dec 21, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Sub, Hanukkah was nice.
Solstice is turning out pretty cheerful too!
Back atcha.
8^J
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#77551 Dec 21, 2012
RACE wrote:
Fine, want it banned all you want. I dont even care as to your reasons for wanting it banned, so please respect my right for not wanting it banned, and not feeling the need to defend my position to you.'Cause, you see stupid, I dont have to, so I wont.
Now kindly stop that breathing thing you are doing, I find it totally offensive.
Thanks in advance, and dont waste you time answering this, I am done with you (yay finally a resolution I will keep)
RACE.
<quoted text>
Ahh, so reasons matter not. Rationale matters not. Justification matters not. So then I trust you'll never again ask me to support anything, you'll just take all my statements, assertions, opinions, etc. at face value. Excellent. That's how any man should deal with any woman anyway.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#77552 Dec 21, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Kwanzaa, PE! Merry Ramadan, Mattie! Happy Winter Festivus, Sam!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#77553 Dec 21, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Merry Christmas, Sub!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#77554 Dec 21, 2012
This afternoon totally buried me in work. I'll have to work Christmas Eve in order to get all my stuff done on time. :(
Timmy

United States

#77555 Dec 21, 2012
If only you would make a resolution to grow up
RACE wrote:
RACE.
<quoted text>

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#77556 Dec 21, 2012
Thats all you got? After 5 days of this nonsense and you finally chime in with this?
Timmy wrote:
If only you would make a resolution to grow up
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min GOPidiots 1,152,988
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Edmond Pulpo 181,698
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 27 min D_e_ath__to__tyrants 70,986
Deat Abby 12-16 33 min Mister Tonka 51
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,875
sexting on whatsapp 2 hr cute_bwoy 1
14-Year-Old Boy Shot In Head On Far South Side 3 hr Taint Shield 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]