Topix Chitown Regulars

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#77337 Dec 18, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, that was a crude, honest assessment. If you want to take over the etiquette reins, you might want to have a chat with your buddy Race. He told me he hopes I get cancer and die. Or is it for some reason o.k. with you for him to be insulting and vitriolic? When you start taking people who agree with you to task for their bad behavior, maybe then your input will matter just a little bit. Until then, not so much.
you keep telling me what I should always do different if I expect people to take me seriously. Maybe the problem is with YOU?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#77338 Dec 18, 2012
Saluki Rod wrote:
<quoted text>
We need more protection at the schools. Secure doors, an armed policeman on the premises, metal detectors, whatever it takes.
What a lovely environment to send my child to learn.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#77339 Dec 18, 2012
I believe any law abiding citizen should be able to purchase any weapon available for sale and be able to carry it wherever they would like. Nobody has anything to fear from a law abiding citizen.

My weapons are not for hunting animals, but for self defense, and if my magazine holds 30 rounds and yours hold 10, so much the better for me.

As for private sales, I dont know the current laws regarding such sales, so I cant comment.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You are "raging thru this keyboard" and I need MY head checked?
What is your position on gun ownership? Do you believe that the gun laws, as they stand now and differing in most states, are fine? Do you think it's okay to own clips that hold 30 bullets? Do you think there should be no tracings on private selling of guns?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#77340 Dec 18, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe they understand that now is not the time to go on TV and yell back and forth about this subject. The emotions are too raw for a real discussion on gun control & the second amendment, as seen on this thread.
I can see this as well. nothing would be gained.

And for all we know, there are parents who lost a child in this shooting who do NOT support increased gun control in this country, and resent their dead child being used in the argument.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#77341 Dec 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I am right. IT'S EXACTLY the argument I"ve heard from the NRA and NRA-supported congressmen.
Way to paint all gun owners with a broad brush.

Location hidden

#77342 Dec 18, 2012
It's like in Iowa when a scumball uncle abducted, raped, and murdered his young niece. People tried to use it as a call for reinstating the death penalty in Iowa, but the girl's parents were the first to say "If you want to get the death penalty in this state, fine, but leave our DEAD CHILD out of it."

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#77343 Dec 18, 2012
And Race, nobody wants anybody to die of cancer. That's what guns are for.

Location hidden

#77344 Dec 18, 2012
RACE wrote:
I believe any law abiding citizen should be able to purchase any weapon available for sale and be able to carry it wherever they would like. Nobody has anything to fear from a law abiding citizen.
I agree with this. But I strongly believe in regulated SALES. No getting around waiting periods, background checks, etc.

Location hidden

#77345 Dec 18, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to paint all gun owners with a broad brush.
I did no such thing. You really have issues with reading comprehension, and your debate skills are abyssmal.

“Where is Tonka?”

#77346 Dec 18, 2012
This!
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe they understand that now is not the time to go on TV and yell back and forth about this subject. The emotions are too raw for a real discussion on gun control & the second amendment, as seen on this thread. Yes, it should be discussed and maybe even modified (after all, the Constitution was created to be a living document, not a static one), but right now we do not have all of the facts surrounding the Newtown shooter and his mother and you know that anyone leading a discussion would want to talk about gun control as it relates to Friday's tragedy.
Many of the politicians who are going on television to push for gun control amendments are more concerned with getting their names/profiles out than actually addressing the complex problems that led up to this and many other mass shootings. They are taking advantage of people's fear and vulnerability with talking points, seeing who can get the most airtime. Let's see what happens when they actually get to work.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#77347 Dec 18, 2012
Saluki Rod wrote:
<quoted text>We need more protection at the schools. Secure doors, an armed policeman on the premises, metal detectors, whatever it takes.
They had secure doors and he shot a hole through them. Not saying to keep the doors unlocked, just that they are not impenetrable. Metal detectors don't stop people from walking inside, just make a beep if you walk through them while wearing too much metal. Who would man it?

We have police officers assigned to each of our high schools (called resource officers). Each RO makes over $70,000 a year. We don't have librarians in our elementary schools because they were cut from the budget. What else do you want to cut from kids' education to pay for an RO at each elementary and middle school?

I'm not trying to get snarky with you. I work in the schools and want to be safe, as well as knowing that my children are safe. I just want to have realistic conversations about how to accomplish our goal of safety, while keeping education a priority, and still keeping in mind that we don't have unlimited budgets in the school districts.

“Where is Tonka?”

#77348 Dec 18, 2012
That is why I used the words "Law Abiding". You obey the laws. Dont like the laws, then change them. And if a backround check is not needed for a private sale and you have issue with that, then you need to work to change that as well.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with this. But I strongly believe in regulated SALES. No getting around waiting periods, background checks, etc.

Location hidden

#77349 Dec 18, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
They had secure doors and he shot a hole through them. Not saying to keep the doors unlocked, just that they are not impenetrable. Metal detectors don't stop people from walking inside, just make a beep if you walk through them while wearing too much metal. Who would man it?
We have police officers assigned to each of our high schools (called resource officers). Each RO makes over $70,000 a year. We don't have librarians in our elementary schools because they were cut from the budget. What else do you want to cut from kids' education to pay for an RO at each elementary and middle school?
I'm not trying to get snarky with you. I work in the schools and want to be safe, as well as knowing that my children are safe. I just want to have realistic conversations about how to accomplish our goal of safety, while keeping education a priority, and still keeping in mind that we don't have unlimited budgets in the school districts.
I feel the same way. AT some point, we can't do EVERYTHING to protect EVERYBODY, not even our kids.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#77350 Dec 18, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
We have police officers assigned to each of our high schools (called resource officers). Each RO makes over $70,000 a year. We don't have librarians in our elementary schools because they were cut from the budget.
Interesting. I believe many Chicago schools have police officers and metal detectors, as well. And they're turning out the dumbest students in the country....

Location hidden

#77351 Dec 18, 2012
RACE wrote:
So, if you dont own a gun you can rant, but if you do own a gun you cant? Got it. How about if you have children? Are you then forbidden to rant because it is a reflection upon your parenting skills? How about school bus drivers? Cant have them going off on a rant either. And of course nobody wants a barber who rants, can you imagine that guy holding a razor, or scissors?
Seems to me, anybody can make any statement to appear damming.
<quoted text>
You say "ranting" as if ranting were a good thing. It may not be so bad in many circumstances but, not so good when one or more persons are armed (in real life). On the 'net it's just sorta business as usual, I guess. It doesn't seem to help.

I'm very pleased to see that many people, all over the spectrum of reality and the 'net, are recognizing that this kid was,(a) a kid himself and (b) mentally ill. He wasn't some gang banger or pizzed off jerk. Understatement but, it went far deeper than that. There are a lot of people 'angry' about taxes or black presidents that talk tough but hopefully aren't a danger to anyone. We may recognize them easily but, who does anything for the Adam Lanza's of the world? Likely, no one saw this coming.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#77352 Dec 18, 2012
Ok, so not to change the topic from gun regulation, but I have a techie question.

I'm thinking about (almost sure) buying a Mac Book. I need to know about stuff like my existing music/movie files being transferred onto the HD. Do I HAVE to have iTunes? Will it being an Apple product reject any music/movies that I already have but didn't buy through iTunes?

Also, all the normal programs like Word, etc. are usable on Mac right? Would I have to do anything special bout that like buy Mac specific programs?

I would just buy another HP, but I REALLY HATE Windows 8...sigh stupid Microsoft needs to understand that a laptop is NOT a tablet.

Keep in mind that the last time I used an Apple product it was the Macintosh II...so it's been a minute.
Sam I Am

Memphis, TN

#77353 Dec 18, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe they understand that now is not the time to go on TV and yell back and forth about this subject. The emotions are too raw for a real discussion on gun control & the second amendment, as seen on this thread. Yes, it should be discussed and maybe even modified (after all, the Constitution was created to be a living document, not a static one), but right now we do not have all of the facts surrounding the Newtown shooter and his mother and you know that anyone leading a discussion would want to talk about gun control as it relates to Friday's tragedy.
Many of the politicians who are going on television to push for gun control amendments are more concerned with getting their names/profiles out than actually addressing the complex problems that led up to this and many other mass shootings. They are taking advantage of people's fear and vulnerability with talking points, seeing who can get the most airtime. Let's see what happens when they actually get to work.
That is a complete cop-out. Meet the Press is not a forum that resorts to chaos and yelling. And I would hope that the talking heads at the NRA - or our Senators for Christ's sake - would be a little more capable of tempered discussion than some of the lunkheads in here. And it's one thing to refrain from debate. That's cowardly enough. The NRA is HIDING. It shut down its social media accounts. It has made no statement. Would it really be so hard for them to at least issue a statement to the effect of "Setting aside anyone's personal position on gun ownership and regulation, we would like to express our sympathy for the victims in Newtown." Something, anything. Nope, they go full ostrich.

The leaders of one of the most powerful lobby groups in the country and the Senators who support them should be able to face this issue with some measure of competency. Hiding behind "raw emotions" is just more cowardice. Anyone can advocate their cause in smooth waters.
Sam I Am

Memphis, TN

#77354 Dec 18, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Ok, so not to change the topic from gun regulation, but I have a techie question.
I'm thinking about (almost sure) buying a Mac Book. I need to know about stuff like my existing music/movie files being transferred onto the HD. Do I HAVE to have iTunes? Will it being an Apple product reject any music/movies that I already have but didn't buy through iTunes?
Also, all the normal programs like Word, etc. are usable on Mac right? Would I have to do anything special bout that like buy Mac specific programs?
I would just buy another HP, but I REALLY HATE Windows 8...sigh stupid Microsoft needs to understand that a laptop is NOT a tablet.
Keep in mind that the last time I used an Apple product it was the Macintosh II...so it's been a minute.
I went from Windows to a Mac, and as long as you have a competent tech guy, it should go smoothly. All the stuff can be moved over, using it on the Mac might take some adaptive programs. But, for example, if your movies are in Picassa, you can use that on a Mac. You do need the version of Office for Mac. While I hate the iPhone and think iPads are a waste, I love my Mac Book and cannot see myself going back.
Sam I Am

Memphis, TN

#77356 Dec 18, 2012
RACE wrote:
That is why I used the words "Law Abiding". You obey the laws. Dont like the laws, then change them.<quoted text>
Whoa! This from a guy who has on several occasions stated that he will disregard laws with which he does not agree? You are ridiculous.

Location hidden

#77358 Dec 18, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
From the Washington Post:
"Since then, the association [NRA] has stopped tweeting on all three of its accounts and suspended its Facebook page...."
Over the weekend, Meet the Press contacted 31 pro-gun rights Senators, all of whom declined to appear.
What a bunch of cowards. If you believe something is o.k., have the guts to stand up for your position.
Right after the Colorado shooting, both 'sides' said "it was not the time to talk about gun control..." The Aurora shooting seemed (to me) to quickly drift away with very little updates about the killer or the victims. Then they said the same about the KC football player, pausing only to chastise Bob Costas for stepping out of his football shoes to make his very basic statement. And then children were slaughtered. I don't think this conversation is going away this time. I hope not. NOT talking about it obviously hasn't helped.

Keeping assault weapons and 30 round clips out of everyone's hands isn't asking too much. Remembering the victims and doing whatever is possible to help others like Lanza can only help. Nothing will be solved. Maybe something awful will be prevented?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Chicagoan by Birth 1,684,362
Trump is A 13 min DESTROY UNwashed 384
Sick of commercials with mix couples 1 hr then move 9
maxine waters 4 hr LOONS GONE WILD 11
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr loose cannon 243,246
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 hr Thor156 11,776
America is loosing it's HERITAGE and HISTORY. 7 hr Useful IdiotsR Wi... 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages