Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
Connecticut has some of the toughest gun control laws in the nation...
Cities that have tough gun control laws have the highest incidences of shootings.
Gun control has been proven over and over to be ineffective.
Gun control advocates are focusing on the wrong issue.
But I can go to any state with more lax laws and buy a gun there. Most states don't seem to have a waiting period at all. There is no federal waiting period. And private gun sales are exempt from things like waiting periods.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
But I can go to any state with more lax laws and buy a gun there. Most states don't seem to have a waiting period at all. There is no federal waiting period. And private gun sales are exempt from things like waiting periods.
I believe a federal waiting period should be in place at the very least. Really, why can't people wait 3 days or a week even before purchasing their guns? It would give the time needed if a background check comes up with something (felony, etc.) among other things.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
You are a detestable animal, and I want nothing more to do with you. You jump on these kids graves to spout your own twisted views and I hope you rot in hell.
go and be a monday morning quarterback somewhere else, in the mean time I hope you get cancer.
If you thinks that means you win, go and gloat, I wont be reading any more crap that comes out of your mouth.
<quoted text>
Fine, ignore Newtown. Address the simple question: What reasonable basis is there for citizens to possess assault weapons?

Speaking of detestable, my friends thought it was pretty detestable that you would so contort logic (by saying that 26 innocent lives would still have been taken had the killer used a baseball bat instead) to justify the availablility of machine guns.

As for cancer, my mother and aunt both have had breast cancer, so you just might get your wish. Now you have something to look forward to. Merry Christmas!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

Ignoring newton, there is no reason a citizen should be denied the right to own the weapon. It does not need justification. By your logic nobody should be allowed to own a car that can exceed the speed limit. After all, what possible purpose could there be to owning such a thing?

Sorry about your mom and your aunt. But I think you are a POS and I dont care what happens to you. You are a self ritcheous arrogant self serving twatwaffle and like I said, I hope your gene pool ends with you.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine, ignore Newtown. Address the simple question: What reasonable basis is there for citizens to possess assault weapons?
Speaking of detestable, my friends thought it was pretty detestable that you would so contort logic (by saying that 26 innocent lives would still have been taken had the killer used a baseball bat instead) to justify the availablility of machine guns.
As for cancer, my mother and aunt both have had breast cancer, so you just might get your wish. Now you have something to look forward to. Merry Christmas!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure about the laws in other states but even buying a gun at a gun show requires at least a three day waiting period. I don't think it's as easy to jump across the border and buy a gun as it is to jump across and buy a pack of cigarettes.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

I'll still breed ya, Sam.

Why do guns always get the bad rap? Whenever there's a shooting, there's talk about banning certain guns.

Was there talk about banning 767's and box cutters after 9-11?

When a car plows into a crowd of people, is there talk about banning cars?

Is there talk about banning knives after a stabbing?

Shouldn't we be focusing more on the failures of the mental health industry rather than the failures of gun control?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure about the laws in other states but even buying a gun at a gun show requires at least a three day waiting period. I don't think it's as easy to jump across the border and buy a gun as it is to jump across and buy a pack of cigarettes.
It ABSOLUTELY is that easy. There's no law in a state that says you can't buy a gun in another state then transport it into your home state.

And you're wrong about gun shows. Private parties can sell guns at gun shows and if selling guns isn't their business but just a hobby or interest, they are exempt from federal gun laws. No background check, no waiting period.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
Shouldn't we be focusing more on the failures of the mental health industry rather than the failures of gun control?
I'll blame politicians who make cuts to mental health programs before I blame those in the profession of helping people with mental illness.

“WE WON TOPIX! YAY!”

Since: Jun 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe a federal waiting period should be in place at the very least. Really, why can't people wait 3 days or a week even before purchasing their guns? It would give the time needed if a background check comes up with something (felony, etc.) among other things.
Historically there was a waiting period- a "cooling off" period- to keep angry spouses from making purchases that they (and others) would regret. NRA lobbying took that away.

If someone doesn't have a gun, waiting 3-7 days to get one won't ruin their life. Indeed, it might save it or someone else's. If one already has a gun or an arsenal, waiting that same time frame won't leave them "vulnerable". The same goes for being limited to one purchase every 30 days. No perceived rights are violated by this.

A background check takes about five minutes. I'm sure it's thorough enough but, with the circumstances above, the few days of waiting is nothing but a slight inconvenience whether it's the first or 50th purchase a person makes. It's only a big deal because we gave in to the gun lobby and were shocked to discover that doing that made them want more, more and then even more.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

In 2000, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) published the "Following the Gun" report.[18] The ATF analyzed more than 1,530 trafficking investigations over a two-and-a-half-year period and found gun shows to be the second leading source of illegally diverted guns in the nation. "Straw purchasing was the most common channel in trafficking investigations."[19] These investigations involved a total of 84,128 firearms that had been diverted from legal to illegal commerce. All told, the report identified more than 26,000 firearms that had been illegally trafficked through gun shows in 212 separate investigations. The report stated that: "A prior review of ATF gun show investigations shows that prohibited persons, such as convicted felons and juveniles, do personally buy firearms at gun shows and gun shows are sources of firearms that are trafficked to such prohibited persons. The gun show review found that firearms were diverted at and through gun shows by straw purchasers, unregulated private sellers, and licensed dealers. Felons were associated with selling or purchasing firearms in 46 percent of the gun show investigations. Firearms that were illegally diverted at or through gun shows were recovered in subsequent crimes, including homicide and robbery, in more than a third of the gun show investigations."

“WE WON TOPIX! YAY!”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
Why do guns always get the bad rap? Whenever there's a shooting, there's talk about banning certain guns.
They seemed to have failed you, making false equivalencies like that....

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
Unless a person has been committed, once they turn 18 you can't force them to get mental health care.
When a person turns 18 or 21 many of the services to support living in the community go away.

The kid was 20. His mother was frustrated about what to do with or about him.

I will go out on a limb and guess that the mom had reached some placement decision and teh kid didn;t want to cooperate and saw his only means of defetaing his mother's action was to kill her.

That does not explain the school, though.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

The mom was going to move with her son to Washington where she found a school she thought would be good for him.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
In 2000, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) published the "Following the Gun" report.[18] The ATF analyzed more than 1,530 trafficking investigations over a two-and-a-half-year period and found gun shows to be the second leading source of illegally diverted guns in the nation. "Straw purchasing was the most common channel in trafficking investigations."[19] These investigations involved a total of 84,128 firearms that had been diverted from legal to illegal commerce. All told, the report identified more than 26,000 firearms that had been illegally trafficked through gun shows in 212 separate investigations. The report stated that: "A prior review of ATF gun show investigations shows that prohibited persons, such as convicted felons and juveniles, do personally buy firearms at gun shows and gun shows are sources of firearms that are trafficked to such prohibited persons. The gun show review found that firearms were diverted at and through gun shows by straw purchasers, unregulated private sellers, and licensed dealers. Felons were associated with selling or purchasing firearms in 46 percent of the gun show investigations. Firearms that were illegally diverted at or through gun shows were recovered in subsequent crimes, including homicide and robbery, in more than a third of the gun show investigations."
Didn't our government give a bunch of automatic weapons to Mexican cartels a few years back?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

Would a 3 day (or months) waiting period have prevented this tragedy? Simple answer is NO.
You cannot prevent crazy. All the talk about cooling off, or backround checks is just feel good lip service.
If a person is going to fail a backround check, they will get a saturday night special, and if they wanna cap their wife, they will go to craigs list and get a weapon today. You cant legislate crazy, it just is.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

About a half hour after losing her job, my work girlfriend learned her stepson had died. Deadly mix of pills and booze.

Prescription drug abuse kills far more people than guns and is the second leading cause of unnatural death behind car accidents. My own brother included.

Why aren't we hearing talk about more legislation to try to curb this?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
About a half hour after losing her job, my work girlfriend learned her stepson had died. Deadly mix of pills and booze.
Prescription drug abuse kills far more people than guns and is the second leading cause of unnatural death behind car accidents. My own brother included.
Why aren't we hearing talk about more legislation to try to curb this?
Because they're hurting no one but themselves, not drugging 20 other people and killing them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Would a 3 day (or months) waiting period have prevented this tragedy? Simple answer is NO.
You cannot prevent crazy. All the talk about cooling off, or backround checks is just feel good lip service.
If a person is going to fail a backround check, they will get a saturday night special, and if they wanna cap their wife, they will go to craigs list and get a weapon today. You cant legislate crazy, it just is.
If it were that simple, other countries would have similar gun-related deaths problems, but no one else does. It's our gun culture.
Sam I Am

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Ignoring newton, there is no reason a citizen should be denied the right to own the weapon. It does not need justification. By your logic nobody should be allowed to own a car that can exceed the speed limit. After all, what possible purpose could there be to owning such a thing?
Sorry about your mom and your aunt. But I think you are a POS and I dont care what happens to you. You are a self ritcheous arrogant self serving twatwaffle and like I said, I hope your gene pool ends with you.
<quoted text>
And by your (il)logic, people should be able to do whatever they want with no regard whatsoever to societal impact.

I've asked you twice to support the appropriateness/necessity of assault weapons for ordinary citizens, and all you've given me is "'Because." It just shows a very small mind that is incapable of reason. Should citizens be allowed to have land mines? Bazookas? Tanks? Nukes? Where do you draw the line? Or isn't there one? People should be allowed to have whatever the heck they want?
Sam I Am

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
So that's your answer? If you can't legislate something with absolute success, don't even bother trying?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

83 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min flack 1,079,211
Amy 7-24 5 min PEllen 14
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 min andet1987 4,545
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 8 min andet1987 461
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 8 min Terry rigsby 48,872
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 21 min Rogue Scholar 05 174,518
Word (Dec '08) 21 min boundary painter 4,582
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••