Topix Chitown Regulars
Sam I Am

Nashville, TN

#77316 Dec 18, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you (I believe it was you that posted something on it) that we need to do more in the area of mental health.
That won't stop everybody -- but we have to start somewhere. I think that's one portion of it.
Also, we need to stop private gun selling. Every sale should have to be registered, in my view.
That would be a start of conversations about these things in my view.
I know that you're supposed to be licensed to have a gun. What I would be in favor of (as a starting point) is for a gun to have a title like a car. That title has to follow the gun.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#77317 Dec 18, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
It's getting easier to visualize by the minute, believe me.
I texted her "how are you?" yesterday morning, haven't heard back. I know she wants to go to the game, but after my speech she knows I don't really want to spend time with the dbag (I didn't come out and say I don't want to be around him, but I did say I was uncomfortable with him coming to my apartment) so I don't know. I'm assuming that since I haven't heard from her, they're not broken up, even though she gave him a really good break up speech on Saturday afternoon, but then wouldn't hang up the phone each time she said she was done so it gave him the opportunity to worm his way back in.
If it wasn't horribly embarrassing, I'd just give the tickets back and bag the whole thing.
He obviously knows how to play on her insecurities somehow. That's sad. She'll look back on this someday and wonder how you didn't slap the crap out of her.:)
Sam I Am

Nashville, TN

#77318 Dec 18, 2012
From the Washington Post:

"Since then, the association [NRA] has stopped tweeting on all three of its accounts and suspended its Facebook page...."

Over the weekend, Meet the Press contacted 31 pro-gun rights Senators, all of whom declined to appear.

What a bunch of cowards. If you believe something is o.k., have the guts to stand up for your position.
Sam I Am

Nashville, TN

#77319 Dec 18, 2012
If you get a chance, go to YouTube and search "The Voice Hallelujah." They did something very cool.$5 says one or two of you get a little misty.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#77320 Dec 18, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
He obviously knows how to play on her insecurities somehow. That's sad. She'll look back on this someday and wonder how you didn't slap the crap out of her.:)
I just talked to Jasper. He said that after dbag punches her in the face, she'll wish she'd listened to me.
:(

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#77321 Dec 18, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that you're supposed to be licensed to have a gun. What I would be in favor of (as a starting point) is for a gun to have a title like a car. That title has to follow the gun.
Yes! That's what I was talking about. Not just a gun license to cover any gun. Each gun have a registration -- like a car.

If you could trace them like that, think of the benefit of each state getting the fees for those registrations.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#77322 Dec 18, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I just talked to Jasper. He said that after dbag punches her in the face, she'll wish she'd listened to me.
:(
Unfortunately, he's right.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#77323 Dec 18, 2012
The argument against registering them (and I'm in favor of registering them) is that if the government knows about every single gun people own, they know where to go to confiscate them should the tide turn. (Which it never will.)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#77324 Dec 18, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! That's what I was talking about. Not just a gun license to cover any gun. Each gun have a registration -- like a car.
In Illinois, you must keep a copy of purchase/registration of any handgun for at least five years.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#77325 Dec 18, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had as much of a hard-on for becoming informed and making a cogent point as you do for fabricating false hypocrisy, you might actually make a worthwhile contribution around here from time to time.
Still hurling more insults and vitriol than trying to have a meaningful discussion, I see.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#77326 Dec 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
The argument against registering them (and I'm in favor of registering them) is that if the government knows about every single gun people own, they know where to go to confiscate them should the tide turn.(Which it never will.)
Well, they already can take our cars if people want to think that way. Also, but our social security they can track us.

I think you're probably correct and how paranoid people can be is amazing to me.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#77327 Dec 18, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
The argument against registering them (and I'm in favor of registering them) is that if the government knows about every single gun people own, they know where to go to confiscate them should the tide turn.(Which it never will.)
No, it's about privacy. I don't think it's the government's business to know what type and how many firearms a private citizen owns. And would the registration only be for law enforcement? Or would anyone be able to look up my neighbor down the street and learn whether or not he owns a firearm?

“I've been lurkin lo & hi”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#77329 Dec 18, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
If you could trace them like that, think of the benefit of each state getting the fees for those registrations.
Not arguing for or aginst....

How would simply having a record of gun ownership have prevented Sandy Hook? Or are you advocating a further step such as limiting the number of weapons one person can own? Connect the dots for me.
Sam I Am

Memphis, TN

#77330 Dec 18, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's about privacy. I don't think it's the government's business to know what type and how many firearms a private citizen owns. And would the registration only be for law enforcement? Or would anyone be able to look up my neighbor down the street and learn whether or not he owns a firearm?
So you're o.k. with it for a car but not for guns?

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#77331 Dec 18, 2012
So, if you dont own a gun you can rant, but if you do own a gun you cant? Got it. How about if you have children? Are you then forbidden to rant because it is a reflection upon your parenting skills? How about school bus drivers? Cant have them going off on a rant either. And of course nobody wants a barber who rants, can you imagine that guy holding a razor, or scissors?

Seems to me, anybody can make any statement to appear damming.
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Yes but, we don't have to be tough behind the keyboard and my point is that it's hard to take a person who is touting gun ownership as responsible, seriously when they are raging behind the keyboard. I just think that someone who rages on the keyboard might rage with a gun in their hands. It's not just you by any means. Topix is full of commandos when it comes to gun issues. I'd think they'd try to maintain a bit more decorum to advance their cause but, I'm probably wrong about that.
Sam I Am

Memphis, TN

#77332 Dec 18, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Still hurling more insults and vitriol than trying to have a meaningful discussion, I see.
Nope, that was a crude, honest assessment. If you want to take over the etiquette reins, you might want to have a chat with your buddy Race. He told me he hopes I get cancer and die. Or is it for some reason o.k. with you for him to be insulting and vitriolic? When you start taking people who agree with you to task for their bad behavior, maybe then your input will matter just a little bit. Until then, not so much.

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

#77333 Dec 18, 2012
The_Lurker wrote:
<quoted text> Not arguing for or aginst....
How would simply having a record of gun ownership have prevented Sandy Hook? Or are you advocating a further step such as limiting the number of weapons one person can own? Connect the dots for me.
We need more protection at the schools. Secure doors, an armed policeman on the premises, metal detectors, whatever it takes.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#77334 Dec 18, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
From the Washington Post:

"Since then, the association [NRA] has stopped tweeting on all three of its accounts and suspended its Facebook page...."

Over the weekend, Meet the Press contacted 31 pro-gun rights Senators, all of whom declined to appear.

What a bunch of cowards. If you believe something is o.k., have the guts to stand up for your position.
Or maybe they understand that now is not the time to go on TV and yell back and forth about this subject. The emotions are too raw for a real discussion on gun control & the second amendment, as seen on this thread. Yes, it should be discussed and maybe even modified (after all, the Constitution was created to be a living document, not a static one), but right now we do not have all of the facts surrounding the Newtown shooter and his mother and you know that anyone leading a discussion would want to talk about gun control as it relates to Friday's tragedy.

Many of the politicians who are going on television to push for gun control amendments are more concerned with getting their names/profiles out than actually addressing the complex problems that led up to this and many other mass shootings. They are taking advantage of people's fear and vulnerability with talking points, seeing who can get the most airtime. Let's see what happens when they actually get to work.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#77335 Dec 18, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I am right. IT'S EXACTLY the argument I"ve heard from the NRA and NRA-supported congressmen.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#77336 Dec 18, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're o.k. with it for a car but not for guns?
I'm opposed to the government being all in my business about pretty much anything, but at least driving a car isn't a guaranteed right in our constitution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Julia 1,783,848
News Slowik: Blue Island mayor faces intense critici... 7 min Done 117
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 9 min The real Rudy 1,149
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 14 min The real Rudy 12,419
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 21 min The real Rudy 3,926
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 243,601
Trump is A (Oct '17) 8 hr MPMMB 888

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages