|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignorant statement. Without knowing how the shooter got his gun(s), you have no way at all of knowing whether or not gun control would have made a difference.
The shooter was 24 yrs old. Last reports said he obtained the guns legally. Reports are also suggesting he found out "his" kid isn't his at all and that might be what put him off the deep end. His mother was a teacher there and she was killed. A person has also been found dead at his home but details on that aren't out yet.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
I was already planning on taking the boys to a community event tonight to raise money for people affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Hurricane Sandy. Sandy Hook Elementary... Hmmm...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Yeah, now I'm reading that he's 24.

A Carolyn Hax reader had great advice in the live chat: Don't read anything, don't watch antyhing. Wait several days until the facts are in.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I would get Chris if I was in your shoes right now. On 9/11 I pulled him out of school. We lived RIGHT NEXT DOOR (more or less) to Ft. Richie (the target of flight 93 originally). I needed him home with me.
??
Where's Ft. Richie and if that was the intended target, this is the first I've heard about it. I thought it was widely believed the other two planes were headed for Washington. One was intended for the Capitol building and the other for the White House.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
??
Where's Ft. Richie and if that was the intended target, this is the first I've heard about it. I thought it was widely believed the other two planes were headed for Washington. One was intended for the Capitol building and the other for the White House.
I think she meant that Ft. Richie was the airplane's destination.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's be respectful. No one deserves horrible things to happen. They're not related events.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be a flip ass. Really quite a dick thing to say.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
??
Baltimore. They keep biologicals there.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think she meant that Ft. Richie was the airplane's destination.
Yes. Thank you. Sheesh so not in the mood to have to explain every minute thing today.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Don't be a douche.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

I can comprehend being upset with an ex and wishing them harm. I simply cannot grasp the concept of harming children who couldn't have possibly done anything to you. I just don't get it.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be a flip ass. Really quite a dick thing to say.
:) That's pretty much what I wrote at first. Then I decided against calling him a prick. I don't know why.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
:) That's pretty much what I wrote at first. Then I decided against calling him a prick. I don't know why.
He isn't exactly one to appreciate (or understand) nuance.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Yeesh. I was just making note of a commonality. Tough crowd.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

The shooter wasn't 24 -- the shooter was 20. The 24 year old mentioned was the shooter's BROTHER.

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
That's how I took it.

Come on guys, I know edog isn't known for his sensitivity around here, but it's not like he made a JOKE... just pointed out that the word Sandy occurs in both disasters.

I'd really like to hear from Jess to see how she took it.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
Come on guys, I know edog isn't known for his sensitivity around here, but it's not like he made a JOKE... just pointed out that the word Sandy occurs in both disasters.
That's alright, people are upset. The gravity of this thing is still sinking in. Can only imagine what the parents affected must be going through.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That's alright, people are upset. The gravity of this thing is still sinking in. Can only imagine what the parents affected must be going through.
Nice save.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
It was the "hmmm" i think that made it more than "making note of a commonality."

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>That's alright, people are upset. The gravity of this thing is still sinking in. Can only imagine what the parents affected must be going through.
I'll admit I had to double check that it was actually you who wrote this. Very mature and sympathetic response.

I just read that his mother, the teacher, was found dead at her home. I was originally under the impression that he went to the school to kill his mother and everyone else was collateral damage, so to speak. Now, I just don't understand why he was there at all.

I had such a great time tonight with the boys and the kids from the local high school. I told Ry about what happened (not in detail, but in age appropriate terms). I was afraid that he would see something on the news or overhear someone talking and worry himself without giving me a chance to reassure him. I reminded him that he practices lockdown drills at school twice a month and even though they will probably never need them, his class will be prepared if anything ever happens. I also told him that he has to trust that his Father and I will always keep him and his brother safe when we are with them. I didn't know what else to say, but I don't think it's realistic to think that i would be able to shelter my kid from finding out about this tragedy. I will not let one person destroy my sense of security or shake my faith, but I am not going to rest easy for a while.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••