Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

When I first moved and got my DL, I remember that kids could get free id's to use for things like applying for jobs etc. Dont know what the requirements were, but even if you need a BC, the hospital gives you one free when your born. Well, the cost is probably wrapped into the hospital stay, but you get the idea.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Were can you get an ID for free?
Here in IL, you can only get a free ID if you're homeless or over 65. And if you need that birth certificate to obtain that ID, you're still gonna have to pay for that.
Maybe it's different in FL...

“WE WON TOPIX! YAY!”

Since: Jun 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

If it weren't for the folks who think we should pick and choose from the buffet line of Bible to live our lives, the craziest people in America would be those who believe we should only live by the buffet of the Constitution, written 200+ years ago but STILL ever so viable and in the moment today. Makes sense!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

who are you to decide what type of weapon I can use to protect my property? A responsible gun owner is no more dangerous than a responsible non gun owner. Its not the weapon, its the person holding it.
Toj wrote:
How about a ban on all assault rifles. That'd be a start.
Or do you need an assault rifle to protect your home?

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

No I am not. You are intentionally trying to dumb down this insurance idea by comparing it to auto insurance. You know that gun control is a hot button issue, and in no way comparable to the insurance coverage required for operating an automobile.

As for the costs, the cost to hospitalize a gunshot person is probably a lot less than a car accident person, or at the most no more expensive, but you cannot tell me that the cost of insurance would be comparable. And even if it were, it would still be wrong because If I buy a car, I only need to purchase insurance if I intend to drive it, I dont need insurance to buy a car, only to drive it off the lot and on the road. But you cant say the same about your gun insurance law. Your saying I should be required to get insurance, even if it is to be a display piece only.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> You are arguing to an absurd end point.Scalia is catching heat for doing that by equating gay marriage with canibalism and murder. Mandatory car insurance did not stop people from driving. My notion is that it would be an inexpensive medical only policy because that is the cost which is passed on to the general public.
Instead of just saying No, come back to me with something that addresses the fact that bullets which come out of guns cause medical expenses and physical inability to do the same things as before the bullet met the person.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Ferrerman wrote:
If it weren't for the folks who think we should pick and choose from the buffet line of Bible to live our lives, the craziest people in America would be those who believe we should only live by the buffet of the Constitution, written 200+ years ago but STILL ever so viable and in the moment today. Makes sense!
You are wrong. Those of us who don't want to have morality of the religious right imposed upon us have the opportunity to elect representatives who pass laws that do as much. The constitution doesn't say we must ban abortions for example. The constitution doesn't say we must ban gay marriage.

All we have done with this living constitution notion is at times gotten our way by having judges amend the constitution to do what were ourselves cannot do in the ballot box or via amending the constitution.

You know it, I know it, we all know it. So let's just cut the crap and call it what it is.
Timmy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Do you think there should be any limits on the type of weapon you can use to protect your property? And if so, what are they?
RACE wrote:
who are you to decide what type of weapon I can use to protect my property? A responsible gun owner is no more dangerous than a responsible non gun owner. Its not the weapon, its the person holding it.
<quoted text>

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Were I a justice on the S.C., I, unlike many liberal SC justices, would be like Roberts in the Obamacare decision and cast aside my personal opinions and beliefs in favor of the proper legal conclusion. As much as I find Obamacare to be a bain for our country and future generations who will be saddled with 20+ trillion dollars in debt to feed an ever increasing desire of the current generation of liberals to provide handouts to the current generation of welfare kings and queens, I agreed with Robertís reasoning and conclusion.
Don't caveat yourself out of existence Sub

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

I think every gun owner should have to pass a license test. Know how to clean it, gun safety, etc.

I also think no one needs an assault weapon and that's my opinion and I'm keeping it. Who is anyone to tell me what my opinion should be?

Why can't you have hand grenades? It's just a thing. It's the person who uses it is the dangerous part. Now lob a few of those babies to whomever is threatening you and that'd stop 'em!:)

I do know people want their guns. They should be well versed in how to take care of them, though, and how to handle them safely.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
Boy did Apple f' up big time, when they booted google maps. Now google has a new map app you can download for the iphone and it gives you voice navigation, which we previously didn't have on teh old google maps for iphone.
If apple had done it right, gotten their own mapping software that was reliable and given you voice navigation, few folks would have gone back to google maps even if they came out with a new app for it, with navigation.
As it stands now, everyone will use the google maps app (including me ... I'm downloading it right now) and never go back to apple maps.
What a monumental f' up from a business standpoint. I would question the judgment of any company who hires the guy who was fired from apple and who orchestrated it.
Speaking of Apple... I got an email from Best Buy offering $50 off an iPhone 5 with 2-year contract (which is what I'd get anyway, I'm eligible for an upgrade with AT&T). So I flipped over to AT&T's site to see what they're offering - regular prices. I chatted online with a customer service rep and told her about the email from Best Buy and asked if AT&T would match it. She said no, and that I'd be better off buying from them because through Best Buy, I'm subject to their terms & conditions plus AT&T's. I've never heard of such a thing. I got my current phone directly from AT&T but we had gotten Jasper's Blackberry from Best Buy and there were no noticeable contractual annoyances. I'm very tempted to head to Best Buy after work today, just wanted to throw this out to the group in case anyone has dealt with any issues with them...?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

RACE wrote:
When I first moved and got my DL, I remember that kids could get free id's to use for things like applying for jobs etc. Dont know what the requirements were, but even if you need a BC, the hospital gives you one free when your born. Well, the cost is probably wrapped into the hospital stay, but you get the idea.
<quoted text>
They might have given out free BC's after you were born (Birth control being an excellent response with apologies and hoping your brother is older). Seriously, my youngest is 23. I had to wait 5 days and go to City Hall where she was born to get her BC and I had to pay for it.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Timmy wrote:
Do you think there should be any limits on the type of weapon you can use to protect your property? And if so, what are they?
<quoted text>
No WMD
Nothing thermonuclear.
Nothing chemical or biohazardous

Having established that, it is just a matter of dickering on caliber and clip

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

RACE wrote:
No I am not. You are intentionally trying to dumb down this insurance idea by comparing it to auto insurance. You know that gun control is a hot button issue, and in no way comparable to the insurance coverage required for operating an automobile.
As for the costs, the cost to hospitalize a gunshot person is probably a lot less than a car accident person, or at the most no more expensive, but you cannot tell me that the cost of insurance would be comparable. And even if it were, it would still be wrong because If I buy a car, I only need to purchase insurance if I intend to drive it, I dont need insurance to buy a car, only to drive it off the lot and on the road. But you cant say the same about your gun insurance law. Your saying I should be required to get insurance, even if it is to be a display piece only.
<quoted text>
In Il you have show proof of insurance just to get license plates. Even if you have Antique vehicle plates for a car which comes in and out of teh garage only ( like my husband and his 1973 240Z) he has to have proof of insurance.

Defelecting a bit, IL is passing an act giving DL to undocumented aliens and one of the rationales is to compel teh Mexicans on teh road to have car insurance.

(Gotta go back to work guys... later)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of Apple... I got an email from Best Buy offering $50 off an iPhone 5 with 2-year contract (which is what I'd get anyway, I'm eligible for an upgrade with AT&T). So I flipped over to AT&T's site to see what they're offering - regular prices. I chatted online with a customer service rep and told her about the email from Best Buy and asked if AT&T would match it. She said no, and that I'd be better off buying from them because through Best Buy, I'm subject to their terms & conditions plus AT&T's. I've never heard of such a thing. I got my current phone directly from AT&T but we had gotten Jasper's Blackberry from Best Buy and there were no noticeable contractual annoyances. I'm very tempted to head to Best Buy after work today, just wanted to throw this out to the group in case anyone has dealt with any issues with them...?
Yes, I heard about this. I bet the 5S will be out in 3 or 4 months, tho. Decisions, decisions...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Not here. You can get an ID for a kid, but there's a fee, of course.

And you don't pay for the birth certificate when you get it through the hospital (at least we didn't) but I'm sure I had to pay for the 2 additional copies I requested.

And if I lost those, I would have to pay a fee to get another copy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't caveat yourself out of existence Sub
And here I thought I was being diplomatic!

:p

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Toj wrote:
I think every gun owner should have to pass a license test. Know how to clean it, gun safety, etc.
I also think no one needs an assault weapon and that's my opinion and I'm keeping it. Who is anyone to tell me what my opinion should be?
Why can't you have hand grenades? It's just a thing. It's the person who uses it is the dangerous part. Now lob a few of those babies to whomever is threatening you and that'd stop 'em!:)
I do know people want their guns. They should be well versed in how to take care of them, though, and how to handle them safely.
I'm fairly certain that in all the other states that allow conceal carry, you are required to take and pass a firearm safety course. Feel better?

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I heard about this. I bet the 5S will be out in 3 or 4 months, tho. Decisions, decisions...
A friend and I looked up the 5S and it said June or July... I don't want to wait that long! Decisions indeed.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

must have changed, my point was that years ago they tried to put restriction on peoples right to vote, and it was shot down, and the same should hold true on gun ownership.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And I just checked. It costs $25 in Florida to get a non-DL state ID.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Scalia is an originalist..
Not quite. Scalia is a devout Catholic and uses that as a filter for his legal decisions. He's a bigot and a homophobe. I think he has no business being on the bench, given how his personal religious views color his decisions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago