Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

RACE wrote:
being required to carry a 1 billion dollar insurance effectively prevents you from having a weapon. Didnt they do something similar to blacks who wanted to vote?
<quoted text>
Requiring a 20/40 auto policy to get your license plate.(I know driving is a privilege and not a right but that was a 1920's concept, not one for th 2000's)
Showing some sort of identification upon voter registration.

Those are reasonable and not unduly burdensome. Insurance issued paid for and maintained by the manufacturer and commercial seller is another alternative.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Something some of you might find interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Azorian

In 1968, a Russian sub imploded 1500 miles off the coast of Hawaii. The Russians couldn't find it. We did. Then we secretly built a special ship that opened on the bottom and we created a 3-mile long arm to reach down to the ocean floor and pick up a big chunk of the sub and pull it into the ship to slink away and find out military secrets.

And Howard Hughes lent his name to it so the Russians wouldn't know what we were up to. Cool stuff.

“Derecho”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Well, I was right. Shitcago's mayor Rhamen Noodle is gonna appeal the conceal carry decision. Told ya so.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
Well, I was right. Shitcago's mayor Rhamen Noodle is gonna appeal the conceal carry decision. Told ya so.
I just don't get it. The criminal have guns. Passing conceal-carry doesn't take theri guns away. If THEy have guns,*I* want a gun. In a city like Chicago, anyway, depending on where I live and my commute.

I remember Mike Royko had a column on a nurse who had been raped at gunpoint while waiting at a bus stop at like 1 a.m. Royko said that women in her situation should carry a gun, illegally of course, and blow the head or junk off anyone who tries to mug/rob/rape them, and any decent Chicago jury would let her off in self-defense.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

So throw you your auto policy because its a privlege and your left with showing id to vote. Showing id does not require any cash layout. You also have to show id to purchase a weapon, so the same reasonable standard is applied. Thank you for making my point.

And NO, there is no reason to adjust things just in the self serving attempt to deny another person their right to bear arms.
Stay outta my gun locker and I will stay out of your vay-jay.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Requiring a 20/40 auto policy to get your license plate.(I know driving is a privilege and not a right but that was a 1920's concept, not one for th 2000's)
Showing some sort of identification upon voter registration.
Those are reasonable and not unduly burdensome. Insurance issued paid for and maintained by the manufacturer and commercial seller is another alternative.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Something some of you might find interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Azorian
In 1968, a Russian sub imploded 1500 miles off the coast of Hawaii. The Russians couldn't find it. We did. Then we secretly built a special ship that opened on the bottom and we created a 3-mile long arm to reach down to the ocean floor and pick up a big chunk of the sub and pull it into the ship to slink away and find out military secrets.
And Howard Hughes lent his name to it so the Russians wouldn't know what we were up to. Cool stuff.
I watched a documentary about that a few years ago. It was very covert and interesting.

They actually used a huge claw to go way down to the bottom of the ocean. The ship was specially built to be very stable and not move because any relative movement between the ship and the claw, which was very long could put too much stress on it and break it.

If I remember correctly, they only recovered part of the sub as part of it broke in half as they were retrieving it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched a documentary about that a few years ago. It was very covert and interesting.
They actually used a huge claw to go way down to the bottom of the ocean. The ship was specially built to be very stable and not move because any relative movement between the ship and the claw, which was very long could put too much stress on it and break it.
If I remember correctly, they only recovered part of the sub as part of it broke in half as they were retrieving it.
Well, that's the govt's STORY -- turns out, they had more than they claimed (like, they claim they lsot the part that has the bell on it, but then after the cold war ended, we gave Russia the bell). So many secrets on both sides.

But yeah, fascinating stuff.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Showing id does not require any cash layout.
I know I had to pay a fee to get my DL. And if you need a copy of your birth certificate to get that state ID, you'll have to pay for that too.

It's not a ton of money, but it some cash layout.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
So throw you your auto policy because its a privlege and your left with showing id to vote. Showing id does not require any cash layout. You also have to show id to purchase a weapon, so the same reasonable standard is applied. Thank you for making my point.
And NO, there is no reason to adjust things just in the self serving attempt to deny another person their right to bear arms.
Stay outta my gun locker and I will stay out of your vay-jay.
<quoted text>
The question is whether it would be unduly burdensome and I don't think insurance would be. Your rates would go up for each violation (each time you shot someone that wasn't in self defense, for example.

Rights are not unfetterd, Race. With rights come obligations.
I don't want to bother your gun locker. I just want to focus on teh security of the lock on that locker so that if someone unintended gets hurt I don't have to pay his bills.

“WE WON TOPIX! YAY!”

Hoffman Estates, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

The way I see it, you get a tattoo when you join a motorcycle gang, right? So, why not a tattoo on your arm to designate which camp you belong in and who you are now? Is that so wrong?

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Ferrerman.
Your wild suggestion is reminecent of concentration camps and Gestapo tactics.
Basically, all you're offering is band-aid solutions to a much broader societal problem, namely sustance abuse, in particular alcohol.
Yes, believe it or not, many if not most incidents of violence have alcohol abuse at its core.
loose, out.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

but your paying for the privilege of having a drivers license, not identification. You can get id's for free. That free id is all you need to vote, and is also acceptable for purchasing a firearm.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I had to pay a fee to get my DL. And if you need a copy of your birth certificate to get that state ID, you'll have to pay for that too.
It's not a ton of money, but it some cash layout.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

But it WOULD become unduly burdensome...Since there is no regulation on how much insurance would cost, the price of getting insurance for your weapon would deny you the right to have one. If it came to pass that you needed insurance, some vote seeking idiot would propose that the liability be so high that nobody could afford it, so again, only the criminals would have guns.

You don't honestly think it would be set at a reasonable rate do you? And who decides reasonable?

Again, don't worry about my locks and I won't worry about whether your on the pill to make sure you don't push out rug rats that I have to pay for.

Rights are not unfetterd, PEllen. With rights come obligations.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>The question is whether it would be unduly burdensome and I don't think insurance would be. Your rates would go up for each violation (each time you shot someone that wasn't in self defense, for example.
Rights are not unfetterd, Race. With rights come obligations.
I don't want to bother your gun locker. I just want to focus on teh security of the lock on that locker so that if someone unintended gets hurt I don't have to pay his bills.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

RACE wrote:
but your paying for the privilege of having a drivers license, not identification. You can get id's for free. That free id is all you need to vote, and is also acceptable for purchasing a firearm.
<quoted text>
Were can you get an ID for free?

Here in IL, you can only get a free ID if you're homeless or over 65. And if you need that birth certificate to obtain that ID, you're still gonna have to pay for that.

Maybe it's different in FL...

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

How about a ban on all assault rifles. That'd be a start.

Or do you need an assault rifle to protect your home?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

RACE wrote:
But it WOULD become unduly burdensome...Since there is no regulation on how much insurance would cost, the price of getting insurance for your weapon would deny you the right to have one. If it came to pass that you needed insurance, some vote seeking idiot would propose that the liability be so high that nobody could afford it, so again, only the criminals would have guns.
You don't honestly think it would be set at a reasonable rate do you? And who decides reasonable?
Again, don't worry about my locks and I won't worry about whether your on the pill to make sure you don't push out rug rats that I have to pay for.
Rights are not unfetterd, PEllen. With rights come obligations.
<quoted text>
You are arguing to an absurd end point.Scalia is catching heat for doing that by equating gay marriage with canibalism and murder. Mandatory car insurance did not stop people from driving. My notion is that it would be an inexpensive medical only policy because that is the cost which is passed on to the general public.

Instead of just saying No, come back to me with something that addresses the fact that bullets which come out of guns cause medical expenses and physical inability to do the same things as before the bullet met the person.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

BTW Abby today is a total rehash of what to do with baby teeth colected by teh tooth fairy. Amy is 50% re-hash

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you get free state IDs? Not in the states I've lived in. You have to pay for them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

And I just checked. It costs $25 in Florida to get a non-DL state ID.

“Derecho”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Toj wrote:
How about a ban on all assault rifles. That'd be a start.
A start to what? Banning all firearms? Don't worry about what I need to protect my home. You don't want to own a gun, that's your business. Or do you want to force you're beliefs on everyone else?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 76,061 - 76,080 of97,458
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

55 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min The Debils Mentally ILL 1,073,004
Obama turns his back on black Americans 53 min BarrysBleachingSkinWants2 3
“If America Doesn’t Abolish the FED, the FED wi... 53 min TheDailySheeple 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 57 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,756
Mr. O'Reilly on the black / race issue. 57 min BillyO and the Race Pimps 9
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr scirocco 68,169
The New, New Math 1 hr IfUReadUCTheProblem4Sure 6
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000