Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#77108 Dec 13, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I heard about this. I bet the 5S will be out in 3 or 4 months, tho. Decisions, decisions...
A friend and I looked up the 5S and it said June or July... I don't want to wait that long! Decisions indeed.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#77109 Dec 13, 2012
must have changed, my point was that years ago they tried to put restriction on peoples right to vote, and it was shot down, and the same should hold true on gun ownership.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And I just checked. It costs $25 in Florida to get a non-DL state ID.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#77110 Dec 13, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Scalia is an originalist..
Not quite. Scalia is a devout Catholic and uses that as a filter for his legal decisions. He's a bigot and a homophobe. I think he has no business being on the bench, given how his personal religious views color his decisions.

Location hidden

#77111 Dec 13, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of Apple... I got an email from Best Buy offering $50 off an iPhone 5 with 2-year contract (which is what I'd get anyway, I'm eligible for an upgrade with AT&T). So I flipped over to AT&T's site to see what they're offering - regular prices. I chatted online with a customer service rep and told her about the email from Best Buy and asked if AT&T would match it. She said no, and that I'd be better off buying from them because through Best Buy, I'm subject to their terms & conditions plus AT&T's. I've never heard of such a thing. I got my current phone directly from AT&T but we had gotten Jasper's Blackberry from Best Buy and there were no noticeable contractual annoyances. I'm very tempted to head to Best Buy after work today, just wanted to throw this out to the group in case anyone has dealt with any issues with them...?
I copied this into an email to a friend who until recently worked at Best Buy smelling smart phones. I'll let you know her response.

Location hidden

#77112 Dec 13, 2012
Jmw: Here's Mindy's response:

Oh totally - here's the deal. Apple is VERY sticky about discounts on apple products. In fact, if you're caught giving a discount, you could lose the contract with Apple to sell their products.
Here's the way Best Buy gets around it.

They issue a Best Buy gift card on the CONTRACT and "you can use this gift card on whatever you like, like your full purchase of phone and accessories today."

So you don't really just get $50 off the phone, you get a gift card to use on today's purchase, which just happens to BE the phone.

Location hidden

#77113 Dec 13, 2012
also more:

totally worth it.

But do you really need the new iphone5? Maybe sure.... but otherwise you can get the iphone 4 free right now with a 2 year contract.

Just wanted to point that out. Don't feel like you HAVE to pay $$ for a phone.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#77114 Dec 13, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite. Scalia is a devout Catholic and uses that as a filter for his legal decisions. He's a bigot and a homophobe. I think he has no business being on the bench, given how his personal religious views color his decisions.
That's your opinion. You know I am not a bigot or a homophobe, yet I am an originalist too. I support the right of gays to marry, but I don't think there is a constitutional right to gay marriage. No one at the time the constitution was written would have thought the constitution protected that right.

The states who originally agreed to join the union agreed to join on the bases of what the constitution meant at that time it was written and on the basis of how it could "legally" be amended at the time it was written. They did not agree to join some union governed by a living constitution that could be changed if a majority of unelected justices decide they didn't like the constitution and wanted it to be something else.

Location hidden

#77115 Dec 13, 2012
Scalia won't even acknowledge that people are born gay. I don't think he's fit to serve as a traffic court judge if he can't EVOLVE.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#77116 Dec 13, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Scalia won't even acknowledge that people are born gay. I don't think he's fit to serve as a traffic court judge if he can't EVOLVE.
I can agree that makes him a bigot. He's much too intelligent to be that ignorant. I have to believe even when he was growing up that there were kids he knew and went to school with who were always effeminate.

Neda, stay with me!

#77117 Dec 13, 2012
I hope your not speaking about me. If so please provide an example, because what I am reading from this is that you post your thoughts, but dont like the reply's. So please clarify.
Toj wrote:
Most of the posts from the Regs have been crazy lately. Is there something in the water? If you bring something up it seems most posters (not all) like to take the all or nothing approach and not discuss.
Put downs are abundant. It's tiring. It really is.

Neda, stay with me!

#77118 Dec 13, 2012
Nope! Want a howitzer, get one. Never know when those red commies are gonna try rolling tanks down the street.

Well, maybe no nukes, Not without a certification of knowing how to handle and store one.
Timmy wrote:
Do you think there should be any limits on the type of weapon you can use to protect your property? And if so, what are they?
<quoted text>

Neda, stay with me!

#77119 Dec 13, 2012
Do you need to pass a test to buy a car? Do you have to prove you know how to clean it?

Yeah, why cant we have hand grenades? Oh right cause they are not for sale on the open market, and that sticky little point about them not being a firearm.

And FYI 99 percent of gun owners are responsible and safe with them, and I challenge you to find a stat that states differently.
Toj wrote:
I think every gun owner should have to pass a license test. Know how to clean it, gun safety, etc.
I also think no one needs an assault weapon and that's my opinion and I'm keeping it. Who is anyone to tell me what my opinion should be?
Why can't you have hand grenades? It's just a thing. It's the person who uses it is the dangerous part. Now lob a few of those babies to whomever is threatening you and that'd stop 'em!:)
I do know people want their guns. They should be well versed in how to take care of them, though, and how to handle them safely.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#77120 Dec 13, 2012
RACE wrote:
Nope! Want a howitzer, get one. Never know when those red commies are gonna try rolling tanks down the street.
Well, maybe no nukes, Not without a certification of knowing how to handle and store one.
<quoted text>
What part of "shall not be infringed" are you not getting? As any originalist will tell you, the 2A does not distinguish between automatic weapons and nuclear weapons. It's not a living document to be interpreted by activist liberal judges. Just everyone else but.

I sure hope your abstaining from shellfish, by the way! The Lord frowns upon this. Check your money, it'll tell you that we are a Christian nation as our founders intended.

Miami, FL

#77121 Dec 13, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I copied this into an email to a friend who until recently worked at Best Buy smelling smart phones. I'll let you know her response.
Thanks for the info, and I'm loving your typos lately.
:)

I could get a 4 for free, but I haven't had a new phone in almost 4 years. I want the latest & greatest this time!:) And I have that $150 gift card from our holiday party last week burning a hole in my wallet.

Location hidden

#77122 Dec 13, 2012
Heh. Smelling. Oops.

I hate my new phone so much that I'm thinking of getting the Galaxy S3, which is on sale at Tmobile for only $99. I think Nick paid $300 for his.

Miami, FL

#77123 Dec 13, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Heh. Smelling. Oops.
I hate my new phone so much that I'm thinking of getting the Galaxy S3, which is on sale at Tmobile for only $99. I think Nick paid $300 for his.
Jasper paid $200 for his. He's very non-techie and loves it though, if that helps.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#77124 Dec 13, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Smelling smart phones? That must be an interesting, weird job.:)

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#77125 Dec 13, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Smelling smart phones? That must be an interesting, weird job.:)
Better than smelling fartphones...

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#77126 Dec 13, 2012
It's kinda funny that the right to bear arms argument is evolving into the right bear howitzers, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.

Race, you need a drivers license to buy a car, so yes, you DO need to pass a test in order to buy one. Only in Illinois do you need a firearm card to purchase guns and ammo. And in every other state (accept Alaska) you need a permit to carry a firearm. You need to take a course and prove you can handle it on the shooting range.

PE, your insurance idea is unconstitutional and will NEVER fly, so get off it already.

Toj and Ange, maybe someone doesn't "need" an assault rifle, but people also don't "need" an ipad, ipod, or ugg boots, so what's your point?

Oh, and Angela, why don't YOU evolve already and get a smartphone?

Location hidden

#77127 Dec 13, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
It's kinda funny that the right to bear arms argument is evolving into the right bear howitzers, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Race, you need a drivers license to buy a car, so yes, you DO need to pass a test in order to buy one. Only in Illinois do you need a firearm card to purchase guns and ammo. And in every other state (accept Alaska) you need a permit to carry a firearm. You need to take a course and prove you can handle it on the shooting range.
PE, your insurance idea is unconstitutional and will NEVER fly, so get off it already.
Toj and Ange, maybe someone doesn't "need" an assault rifle, but people also don't "need" an ipad, ipod, or ugg boots, so what's your point?
Oh, and Angela, why don't YOU evolve already and get a smartphone?
But DO you need a driver's license to buy a car? Shouldn't unlicensed mom be able to buy a car for her licensed adult child if she wants?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 37 min johnplustwomore 1,156,637
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 46 min wojar 182,297
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr L Morales 71,302
Chicago police stop black motorists more, ACLU ... 2 hr L Morales 11
Southern Illinois Supports Police 2 hr Does not matter 1
Holiday Greetings 4 hr Daddy Warbucks 4
Chicagoa s 2014 murder total on track for anoth... 4 hr Did enuf die 6
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance