|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're wrong. The Second Amendment doesn't mention insurance.
Reading Is Fundamental.
I don't have the faintest clue how that would play out, in terms of constitutionality.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a terrible idea. Requiring insurance is a violation of the second amendment.
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Where does it say anything about insurance?

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps the Supreme's would see it as a tax...
I predict the lawmakers will do everything in their power to prevent or discourage people from carrying, likely through high taxes and/or fees. Which will be challenged and dragged through the courts. The liberals will not give up without a fight.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have the faintest clue how that would play out, in terms of constitutionality.
Doesn't the constitution cover the government when it comes to issues of safety of the citizens? I think someone told me that when he was lamenting public schools (b/c they're not in the constitution, so we shouldn't have them) and then got onto the topic of fire departments.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I predict the lawmakers will do everything in their power to prevent or discourage people from carrying, likely through high taxes and/or fees. Which will be challenged and dragged through the courts. The liberals will not give up without a fight.
Minnesota is a liberal state and we have conceal-carry. THe only thing you have to do is take a special course on how to use your gun and gun safety. Any fee you pay is the application fee for the government to do a background check and make sure you're not a felon.

“Topixtown”

Why yes, I DO have a blog!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Many of the 49 states that have concealed carry are "blue" or (yikes!) "liberal" states. How'd THAT happen?

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't the constitution cover the government when it comes to issues of safety of the citizens? I think someone told me that when he was lamenting public schools (b/c they're not in the constitution, so we shouldn't have them) and then got onto the topic of fire departments.
Yes, but there is a specific provision in the constitution that says you have the right to bear arms. So that provision will trump.

As far as I know, the only limits courts have allowed to be imposed, were traditional limitations that were customary when the constitution was written limits on concealed guns and locations where you can carry and limits on felons and the mentally ill to carry or minimal waiting periods so that one's back ground can be checked to see if they are a felon.

A requirement to carry insurance has no historical basis. What if you are very poor and live in a poor dangerous area and can't afford this insurance, but need a gun for protection? Upon consideration, I am inclined to think it would most likely be unconstitutional.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Oh, I don't think the insurance thing would pass the constitutional test, either. And the NRA would fight it tooth and nail.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

The shooter was actually only 22 years old and used a gun that he had stolen. There isn't much you can do to stop someone like that.

At that age, he likely didn't even have a criminal record that would have even prevented him from buying a gun.

IMO, the best way to limit damage is to have law abiding citizens armed. The crazies and criminals will always find guns. Gun laws only work for folks who by nature follow the law and aren't criminals. They don't work for criminals.

OH, and get ready cause 3D printed guns (that is a very exciting technology that will revolutionize things) are going to be on their way VERY SOON. When the price of 3D printers come down, you will be able to make your own gun at home. Even nations that outlaw guns won't be able to stop folks from making them.

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Exactly. So requiring it IS infringement.

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Many of the 49 states that have concealed carry are "blue" or (yikes!) "liberal" states. How'd THAT happen?
We've got a unique breed of liberals here.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Illinois is a pretty unique state.

I am not joking when I say that.

“Topixtown”

Why yes, I DO have a blog!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
<blush>

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

I got a new cell phone. Samsung, pay as you go sort of thing. I hate it. It doesn't work in a logical, common sense manner, things seem to take several more steps than necessary (my flip phone was so much easier). I complained to Nick. His response: "What do you expect for getting a phone that the rest of us were using 10 years ago?"

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

being required to carry a 1 billion dollar insurance effectively prevents you from having a weapon. Didnt they do something similar to blacks who wanted to vote?
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I got a new cell phone. Samsung, pay as you go sort of thing. I hate it. It doesn't work in a logical, common sense manner, things seem to take several more steps than necessary (my flip phone was so much easier). I complained to Nick. His response: "What do you expect for getting a phone that the rest of us were using 10 years ago?"
Heh. Suck it up, get a smart phone! ;)

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

RACE wrote:
being required to carry a 1 billion dollar insurance effectively prevents you from having a weapon. Didnt they do something similar to blacks who wanted to vote?
<quoted text>
Requiring a 20/40 auto policy to get your license plate.(I know driving is a privilege and not a right but that was a 1920's concept, not one for th 2000's)
Showing some sort of identification upon voter registration.

Those are reasonable and not unduly burdensome. Insurance issued paid for and maintained by the manufacturer and commercial seller is another alternative.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Something some of you might find interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Azorian

In 1968, a Russian sub imploded 1500 miles off the coast of Hawaii. The Russians couldn't find it. We did. Then we secretly built a special ship that opened on the bottom and we created a 3-mile long arm to reach down to the ocean floor and pick up a big chunk of the sub and pull it into the ship to slink away and find out military secrets.

And Howard Hughes lent his name to it so the Russians wouldn't know what we were up to. Cool stuff.

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Well, I was right. Shitcago's mayor Rhamen Noodle is gonna appeal the conceal carry decision. Told ya so.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
Well, I was right. Shitcago's mayor Rhamen Noodle is gonna appeal the conceal carry decision. Told ya so.
I just don't get it. The criminal have guns. Passing conceal-carry doesn't take theri guns away. If THEy have guns,*I* want a gun. In a city like Chicago, anyway, depending on where I live and my commute.

I remember Mike Royko had a column on a nurse who had been raped at gunpoint while waiting at a bus stop at like 1 a.m. Royko said that women in her situation should carry a gun, illegally of course, and blow the head or junk off anyone who tries to mug/rob/rape them, and any decent Chicago jury would let her off in self-defense.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 76,061 - 76,080 of96,069
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]