Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76658 Nov 30, 2012
Dammit, Toj. I had a turkey sub and some chips & salsa but now I want pizza.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#76659 Nov 30, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you're laid off, feel like a trip to sunny Florida next week?
;)
Nah, I'm back to work next week. But got many more layoffs coming! You sport for the tickets and I'm there!:)

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#76660 Nov 30, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck Mimi. Don't forget the 'net has a lot of inspiration for papers. What subject does it have to be on? You know you'll get suggestions here.
IRA prisoners inside Maze prison in the 70's and 80's, esp. Bobby Sands and his hunger strike, the other prisoners who followed his lead (and died) and the policies which lead to them to: 1) being in the IRA, 2) being in Maze prison, and 3)choosing to go on a hunger strike.

Additionally, the culture within the prison vis a vis the IRA prisoners (political prisoners or terrorists?), other prisoners, guards, and policy(ies) of the British government in regards to labeling them criminals rather than political prisoners.

There will also be a (relatively) short digression into the development of the IRA in the 20th century and the 1960's specifically, the concept of justified war, Catholic vs Protestant in Ireland and how this affected treatment of Irish Catholics as the policy makers are/were predominantly Protestant.

I have the concept, I'm just having issues writing the abstract/proposal so that it sounds good. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#76661 Nov 30, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
Dammit, Toj. I had a turkey sub and some chips & salsa but now I want pizza.
Turkey meatloaf from the deli and rice pilaf. <shrug> Oh, and salad.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76662 Nov 30, 2012
I bought "Lost in Shangr-La" tonight. Story from WWII, plane of touring military people crashed in Papua New Guine, 3 of 24 survived, badly injured and burned, facing cannibals and Japanese soldiers.

Then a few men risked their lives to rescue them. Heard about it on NPR, sounded fascinating.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76663 Nov 30, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Turkey meatloaf from the deli and rice pilaf. <shrug> Oh, and salad.
I had vegetarian chili for lunch. I feel like that pretty much counts as a salad.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76664 Nov 30, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
What??? You didn't even share with us.:)
In spirit I did!
:)

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#76665 Dec 1, 2012
How is either of those an example of me "Wielding" The full use of the law against someone else?

No cigar yet.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
The examples are all through this forum. Heck, look at your own posts. "The law says I can have a gun and I'm gonna have me a gun, dammit." And in other situations you have basically stated that you don't care what the law says, you're gonna do what you feel is right.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#76666 Dec 1, 2012
Sub,
That man from Minnesota is the new posterboy for irresponsible gun ownership.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#76667 Dec 1, 2012
And besides sam, we already covered that EVERYBODY chooses which laws they will or will not follow, everything from jay walking to speeding, to right on red and who goes first at a 4way stop, on up to self defense. So if you're going to call me a hypocrite look in the mirror and say it to yourself.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#76668 Dec 1, 2012
You shared your spirits in spirit?
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
In spirit I did!
:)

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#76669 Dec 1, 2012
Civilized society finds his inaction following the fatal shootings to be contemptible.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76670 Dec 1, 2012

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76671 Dec 1, 2012

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#76672 Dec 1, 2012
Why? They will be just as dead later as they are now.
loose cannon wrote:
Civilized society finds his inaction following the fatal shootings to be contemptible.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76673 Dec 1, 2012
RACE wrote:
You shared your spirits in spirit?
<quoted text>
Yes. I should have shared them in person though... did not feel good this morning. But I worked it off, my friend P and I got a LOT of stuff moved over today. We packed her SUV to the gills and only two boxes - out of 20!- didn't make it. We also took the largest and most fragile pictures from my walls (those went in my car).

My friend A met us at the new place and helped unload and then we had lunch. Boyfriend called at least three times during this, I lost track. He was mad at her because she'd already missed a couple of calls from him today and he hates it when she doesn't answer her phone. Lame excuses like being asleep, walking the dog in the rain, or having her hands full of boxes don't fly with him.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76674 Dec 1, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I should have shared them in person though... did not feel good this morning. But I worked it off, my friend P and I got a LOT of stuff moved over today. We packed her SUV to the gills and only two boxes - out of 20!- didn't make it. We also took the largest and most fragile pictures from my walls (those went in my car).
My friend A met us at the new place and helped unload and then we had lunch. Boyfriend called at least three times during this, I lost track. He was mad at her because she'd already missed a couple of calls from him today and he hates it when she doesn't answer her phone. Lame excuses like being asleep, walking the dog in the rain, or having her hands full of boxes don't fly with him.
That boy is highly insecure. Any idea what his last girlfriend was like or is she in Peru?

Has A met his family?

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76675 Dec 1, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>That boy is highly insecure. Any idea what his last girlfriend was like or is she in Peru?
Has A met his family?
His last girlfriend was EIGHT years ago so yeah, she must be in Peru. So's his family so A has not met them.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76676 Dec 1, 2012
Her boyfriend is annoying ME and I won't even ever meet the dickhead.

Leaving in an hour or so for my company holiday party. Exciting! can't wait to see who the MVP is for 2012!(Hint: It ain't me!)

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76677 Dec 1, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Her boyfriend is annoying ME and I won't even ever meet the dickhead.
Leaving in an hour or so for my company holiday party. Exciting! can't wait to see who the MVP is for 2012!(Hint: It ain't me!)
HA! Come visit me, I'm sure I can arrange it. Oh, wait, no... it'll get rescheduled 9 times and you'll be back in MN by the time he drags ass up here again.

You guys have an annual MVP? That's pretty cool. Does the title come with cash?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min loose cannon 230,907
Johnny Murray a/k/a Johnny's Marine 10 min Elder James Johnson 34
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min TRUMP WINNERS 1,457,512
last post wins! (Apr '13) 58 min They cannot kill ... 1,953
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 2,738
Why does Chicago want to harbor illegal criminals 1 hr YIM 9
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr mdbuilder 62,296

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages