“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#76604 Nov 30, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope your head feels better soon!
It must have been REALLY hard not to say anything.
One of my college roommates posted on FB asking if anyone knew a way to prevent her preschooler from accessing things on the iPad other than his apps (he apparently has skyped a few people lately and bought some things on amazon using the one-click option). I made one app suggestion (Zoodles), but 2 people jumped in later on with "maybe you just shouldn't let him play with it" and. "He is too young for a $600 piece of technology". Ugh, she doesn't need her friends judging her. She also has 1 year old twins to deal with right now.
I wish moms were more supportive of each other, in general.
I think it will once I get some lunch!

And I am usually very supportive and non-judgemental when I see misbehaving children. Nunu is queen of misbehaving, after all! And two of the girls' godfather's children are on the autism spectrum and their mom and I have talked at length about the looks she gets and how you really have no idea what's going on in the family when you see the hissy fit in Target (or on the L). So I tried to remember that while my eardrums were being taxed to their limit while watching mom ignore the whole situation.

And as I replied to Red, I would have helped if the mom had even tried a little bit.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76605 Nov 30, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If I had a gun and an intruder broke into my home, the last thing I would be thinking about is calling the police at that moment. I donít even own any guns and the last thing I would be thinking about is calling the police if an intruder broke in. The first thing I would do is get a knife or any weapon or just use my hands to eliminate the threat. When an intruder is in your house and the police are ten minutes away, in my mind, they may as well be in Timbuktu?
<quoted text>
Why, what if these people who break in are armed? How was this man supposed to know that they werenít? Seems to me thatís just being prepared and being smart. Should he just turn out the lights and go to bed and risk waking up to intruders pointing a gun to his head?
An intruder is like a like a mystery box. You donít know what kind of intruder you are going to get. Thatís why many states, like NC provide a legal presumption that you have a reasonable fear for your safety. Itís common sense that you shouldnít have to take a chance and wait for someone who has broken into your home to threaten you first.
Where are you reading that I didn't say he could shoot them once they entered his home? I don't like having discussions with you because your reading comprehension is off. My issue with him isn't whether or not he had the right to shoot them in his house. Of course he did. BUT, there is a difference between them entering his house, him shooting them and him saying "The last thing on my mind was calling the police because it all happened so suddenly and I was caught off guard" and him planning out every little detail and sitting patiently and waiting quietly while he heard them entering the house upstairs and walking down the stairs, but not even making an attempt to dial 911 (which in my town triggers a police car to be sent to your residence if you do not respond to the phone call or they cannot reach you when they call back).

I will stop discussing this now, though, because I think this guy is just an a$$hole. I try not to make it look like no one is home in my house, most of the time. We have an alarm system and a dog (who is loud). I believe that the best defense is a good offense.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76606 Nov 30, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
I believe that the best defense is a good offense.
When I had pepper spray (because I was working downtown alone late at night), the instructions said to not keep it in your purse or pocket, but to carry it with you, out in front, obvious to anyone watching that you had it in your hand, so as to avoid any unnecessary confrontation in the first place.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#76607 Nov 30, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are you reading that I didn't say he could shoot them once they entered his home? I don't like having discussions with you because your reading comprehension is off.
Iíve read it repeatedly from you and you again repeat it below:
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>My issue with him isn't whether or not he had the right to shoot them in his house. Of course he did. BUT, there is a difference between them entering his house, him shooting them and him saying "The last thing on my mind was calling the police because it all happened so suddenly and I was caught off guard" and him planning out every little detail and sitting patiently and waiting quietly while he heard them entering the house upstairs and walking down the stairs, but not even making an attempt to dial 911 (which in my town triggers a police car to be sent to your residence if you do not respond to the phone call or they cannot reach you when they call back).
You keep saying he can kill them once they entered his home, but only if he does it in a certain way that the law of many states donít require. In a state like NC, there is no requirement to call the police once someone breaks into your home. In a state like NC, there is no requirement to be completely unprepared should someone break in your home. There is no requirement that you have to make it look like you are home, so that robbers donít break into your home and get hurt or killed. This would be ludicrous.

And what do you think would have happened if he had called the police? Do you think they would have gotten there in time before these two punks walked down the basement? I highly doubt it.
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>I will stop discussing this now, though, because I think this guy is just an a$$hole. I try not to make it look like no one is home in my house, most of the time. We have an alarm system and a dog (who is loud). I believe that the best defense is a good offense.
I think between him and they, they were the bigger a$$holes, and while the guy acted illegally, I couldnít give a fí about two low life scums.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Location hidden

#76608 Nov 30, 2012
RACE wrote:
When hunters sit in their basement, and deer break into his house, you can make that analogy. He was not hunting, he was defending his position.
<quoted text>
This.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#76609 Nov 30, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Iíve read it repeatedly from you and you again repeat it below:
<quoted text>
You keep saying he can kill them once they entered his home, but only if he does it in a certain way that the law of many states donít require.
No, I don't - you keep reading it that way. I keep saying that he should call the police as soon as possible after they enter the premises. That may be after he kills them, but I am saying that I think he is an A$$hole for not trying to call sooner, not that it is illegal. I hate people who take the law into their own hands.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#76610 Nov 30, 2012
The_Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>Homeboy was down working in his basement, weapon nearby, when he heard glass breaking. He took a defensive position and eliminated the threats when they presented themselves.
Lights in the rest of the house were off cuz he was downstairs. Engergy efficiency.
Thank you for the Fox News version.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#76611 Nov 30, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't - you keep reading it that way. I keep saying that he should call the police as soon as possible after they enter the premises. That may be after he kills them, but I am saying that I think he is an A$$hole for not trying to call sooner, not that it is illegal. I hate people who take the law into their own hands.
You go girl! I'm with also. I, too, am tired of this subject. No one is going to change their stance.

Just leave it be. Whoever wants to lie in wait for whatever burglar they think they're going to get with whatever their weapon of choice is -- go for it. No one has to deal with those actions except for the person who makes them and the person who they kill.

Hopefully it won't be some relative trying to surprise them.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#76612 Nov 30, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the timing that i thoguht was coincidental, i get that you're not taking her in or dealing directly with her POS... your story and the article both further illustrate taht "it takes a village" wehn dealing with domestic violence.
It does take a village. I'm just tired of dealing with the village idiots. Yeah I know, harsh, but that's all I have right now. <shrug>
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#76613 Nov 30, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate people who take the law into their own hands.
They're usually the first ones to try to use the full measure of the law against someone else, but when it comes to them the laws are invasive and unreasonable. Total hypocrites.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#76614 Nov 30, 2012
You make the most outlandish, unsustainable statements.
Please provide an example, if you have one.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
They're usually the first ones to try to use the full measure of the law against someone else, but when it comes to them the laws are invasive and unreasonable. Total hypocrites.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#76615 Nov 30, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, when it's Sub's kids who are shot breaking and entering, he'll have another view.
I'm sure he'll say that couldn't happen, but I'm also very sure that the parents of those two said the same thing when they were in grade school.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76616 Nov 30, 2012
Well, like with traffic, it's not your job to control the speed limit. So don't camp out in the left lane at 55 and think you're enforcing the speed limit on the rest of us.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#76617 Nov 30, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
but I am saying that I think he is an A$$hole for not trying to call sooner, not that it is illegal. I hate people who take the law into their own hands.
People are taking the law into their own hands when they defend themselves?

If a group of people break into my house wielding knives and clubs, I'm just supposed to call the police and hope they get there in time?

If someone is beating me on a street corner, I just take it as I call for help because fighting back would be "taking the law into my own hands?"

Location hidden

#76618 Nov 30, 2012
RACE wrote:
When hunters sit in their basement, and deer break into his house, you can make that analogy. He was not hunting, he was defending his position.
<quoted text>
He defended his position about as well as you just did....

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#76619 Nov 30, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
It does take a village. I'm just tired of dealing with the village idiots. Yeah I know, harsh, but that's all I have right now. <shrug>
hey, every village has one, not that anyone wants to deal with him/her. I totally get and am behind you in drawing your line with your sister way on teh other side of it.

“No. 1 Stunna”

Location hidden

#76620 Nov 30, 2012
Race, Edog, Lurker, JMW, Matilda, PEllen, how's it feel to be on the winning team?!

“No. 1 Stunna”

Location hidden

#76621 Nov 30, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Losers are usually the first to turn bitter too.

<pulls Sam's pig tails>

^^^^ That probably turns her on. RAwr

“No. 1 Stunna”

Location hidden

#76622 Nov 30, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't taking the law into your own hands when the law says you can do it.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#76623 Nov 30, 2012
RACE wrote:
You make the most outlandish, unsustainable statements.
Please provide an example, if you have one.
<quoted text>
The examples are all through this forum. Heck, look at your own posts. "The law says I can have a gun and I'm gonna have me a gun, dammit." And in other situations you have basically stated that you don't care what the law says, you're gonna do what you feel is right. I am not going to go back through the last couple hundred posts to throw something in your face (especially since my comment wasn't even directed to you), but you know it's true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 20 min VOT GOP 1,124,817
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 30 min HulkHoeGun 50,589
Abby 10-21 41 min edogxxx 1
Amy 10-21 44 min edogxxx 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 45 min Earthling-1 47,479
Do you find smoking attractive? (No posts about... 53 min Girly girl 7
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 69,974
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 179,265
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]