Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76641 Nov 30, 2012
One year I went home for Christmas and brought my cats. They climbed the tree and it fell over onto the piano.

Another year, mom wrapped catnip toys for the cat and put them under the tree, and covered them with other presents. When I got home from the bar, i found the ripped up wrapping paper trail and it led me to the cat with his toy. His nose told him the toy was in there.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#76642 Nov 30, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
I have two guy friends who might be able to hang out while the movers unload and the UVerse guy is installing next week since I'm a little skeeved out by spending all this time in my new place alone with a bunch of strange men. And I'm reading The Gift of Fear.
Can't be too careful. Don't try to do everything on your own, that's what friends are for!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#76643 Nov 30, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Coworker was talking about elf on the shelf today. She googled and found HUNDREDS of ideas what to do with the elf.
I had to google elf on the shelf and apparently it's some type of hide and seek game? The explanation wasn't very descriptive. Maybe you ladies can bring me up to speed?

Location hidden

#76644 Nov 30, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to google elf on the shelf and apparently it's some type of hide and seek game? The explanation wasn't very descriptive. Maybe you ladies can bring me up to speed?
It's a small toy/stuffed elf who "watches" kids throughout the holiday season and every night while they sleep, he flys back to the north pole to report to Santa, then he flies back before they wake up. The kids have to find him in the morning.

Location hidden

#76645 Nov 30, 2012
jmw: Why does A have the weekend off from the boyfriend?(Just curious whether someone needed a "break" or whether other stuff beyond their control made this happen.)

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#76646 Nov 30, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>It's a small toy/stuffed elf who "watches" kids throughout the holiday season and every night while they sleep, he flys back to the north pole to report to Santa, then he flies back before they wake up. The kids have to find him in the morning.
I learned about him last year. Creeee-eepy.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#76647 Nov 30, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
Halloween is my favorite day of the year, but this is such a fun season to see through the kids' eyes.
I know I'd get into Christmas again if there were wee ones involved. Now, it's like "Meh...". Big gift card exchange.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#76648 Nov 30, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounded as dumb as I though. But who doesn't love a creepy elf watching children sleep!?

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76649 Nov 30, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
jmw: Why does A have the weekend off from the boyfriend?(Just curious whether someone needed a "break" or whether other stuff beyond their control made this happen.)
Well, he spent last week at her place and then went home to PA with her for Thanksgiving (apparently it went well... personally, I can't wait to talk to her mom face to face when she comes to FL in Feb) and she was supposed to spend this weekend at his place in Miami. She was telling me she felt like she needed a weekend to grocery shop, clean, regroup, etc. so she basically asked him if it was okay if she stayed home this weekend (he is unable to come up, I think because of school - he's doing a PhD just like Jasper... except Jasper isn't a creepy control freak... but I digress). So yeah, she'll be around this weekend to help me and hopefully to hang out tomorrow night and catch up - we tried Mon-Wed this week and crap came up at the last minute every time. Unrelated to him directly, but she never used to be like this.:(

Boynton Beach, FL

#76650 Nov 30, 2012
Oh, and I do plan on calling her out - in a loving way - about why she considers spending time with her boyfriend to be a job, since that's what getting the weekend off implies. More than implies.

Corny as it sounds, to quote The Sound of Music, when God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window. Shout out to my relatively new friend L who's like my long lost twin and has done so much for me in such a short period of time.
:)

Boynton Beach, FL

#76651 Nov 30, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too, and that's what I thought... until my friend C, who has a 5 yo daughter, explained it to me. I pretty much get it now and have to think about it like a child and not like an adult.
:)

Boynton Beach, FL

#76652 Nov 30, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't be too careful. Don't try to do everything on your own, that's what friends are for!
Since you're laid off, feel like a trip to sunny Florida next week?
;)

Boynton Beach, FL

#76653 Nov 30, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I'd get into Christmas again if there were wee ones involved. Now, it's like "Meh...". Big gift card exchange.
My book club is going to do a Christmas get-together and I'm excited... it's been a long time since I've done anything really Christmas-y that meant something to me. I miss being a kid this time of year.

Boynton Beach, FL

#76654 Nov 30, 2012
I didn't mean to drink a whole bottle of wine tonight... I really didn't.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#76655 Nov 30, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! I really appreciate the support and you guys letting me vent (about this and other stuff too). Mostly I just don't have the energy or patience to go through this crap all over AGAIN when I know it will just be the same BS, same results, same actions....
I've spent all day (off and on...mostly on) trying to write a paper that's DUE WEDNESDAY and so far I have "this paper will focus on..." So yeah, no time for her stupid repetitive crap right now, even if I had an interest in getting involved. <shrug>
Maybe a nap...
Good luck Mimi. Don't forget the 'net has a lot of inspiration for papers. What subject does it have to be on? You know you'll get suggestions here. I don't know how you are, but whether I disagree or agree when people bring ideas it helps me focus on what's inside if that makes any sense. When someone comes up with a weird idea (to me) or a great idea, I seem to focus more and then just KNOW what I want to do or what I believe. Yannow? Eh, maybe I'm just weird like that but thought I'd put it out there.

I'm waiting for sandwiches from a good pizza shop. I'm starved. Plus, I love cold pizza in the a.m. and I haven't ordered junk food like that in over a month. Nom, nom, nom. I'm trying to waste time right now so I don't look at the clock so often in that time will stop. You know it does when you do that!

Boynton Beach, FL

#76656 Nov 30, 2012
Do I want to balance my savings account tonight? Um, no thanks... I'll pass for now,[bank I use].

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#76657 Nov 30, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
I didn't mean to drink a whole bottle of wine tonight... I really didn't.
What??? You didn't even share with us.:)

Boynton Beach, FL

#76658 Nov 30, 2012
Dammit, Toj. I had a turkey sub and some chips & salsa but now I want pizza.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#76659 Nov 30, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you're laid off, feel like a trip to sunny Florida next week?
;)
Nah, I'm back to work next week. But got many more layoffs coming! You sport for the tickets and I'm there!:)

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#76660 Nov 30, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck Mimi. Don't forget the 'net has a lot of inspiration for papers. What subject does it have to be on? You know you'll get suggestions here.
IRA prisoners inside Maze prison in the 70's and 80's, esp. Bobby Sands and his hunger strike, the other prisoners who followed his lead (and died) and the policies which lead to them to: 1) being in the IRA, 2) being in Maze prison, and 3)choosing to go on a hunger strike.

Additionally, the culture within the prison vis a vis the IRA prisoners (political prisoners or terrorists?), other prisoners, guards, and policy(ies) of the British government in regards to labeling them criminals rather than political prisoners.

There will also be a (relatively) short digression into the development of the IRA in the 20th century and the 1960's specifically, the concept of justified war, Catholic vs Protestant in Ireland and how this affected treatment of Irish Catholics as the policy makers are/were predominantly Protestant.

I have the concept, I'm just having issues writing the abstract/proposal so that it sounds good. <shrug>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family of slain Loyola student seeks 'peace not... 11 min Searcy 2
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min John Galt 1,154,270
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 17 min jacques Ottawau 181,860
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 25 min KiMerde 51,260
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 26 min JOEL 71,097
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 49,236
women are so shallow these days (Nov '11) 2 hr Silk 87
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]