PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76463 Nov 29, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
And I've actually been robbed. You really shouldn't assume you know what path people have been on in life.
If someone is that paranoid to lie in wait for the robbers, shoot them and then shoot them again after lying bleeding to death -- why wouldn't they install ADT or something similar? Not enough money? Sell a gun or two out of the arsenal.
I think they're paranoid people who don't stop and think for a minute. Hmmm, people have been robbing me. I think I'll install a security system and put 911 on speed dial. Make sure my locks are good. I'll also make sure I have personal protection on me IN CASE I NEED IT.
I have ADT on the house. Once the alarm is tripped there is about a minute before the system calls a Central station which then calls the local police who then jump in their cars and come over. If everything happens exactly as planned, the cops are here in maybe 7-10 minutes. Lots can happen in that 10 minutes.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#76464 Nov 29, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
If you truly believed someone was going to rob your house, would you wait for them INSIDE to shoot them if you were afraid for your life? Really? And NOT call the police. Really?
I didn't say I would do what he did. I haven't been in his shoes so I don't know what state of mind I'd be in after being robbed several times.

Miami, FL

#76465 Nov 29, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no, you're confusing this with vampires! They have to be invited in before they can bite you! ;)
Ha!

PEllen's comment raises an interesting question though. What if you invited someone in (like a salesperson, for example) and they turned out to have bad intentions? At that point, if you feel threatened, can you shoot them? I assume so, even though you initially invited them in...?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#76466 Nov 29, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I have ADT on the house. Once the alarm is tripped there is about a minute before the system calls a Central station which then calls the local police who then jump in their cars and come over. If everything happens exactly as planned, the cops are here in maybe 7-10 minutes. Lots can happen in that 10 minutes.
Fine, Pellen. Go get your gun and sit in the basement for a day or two.:)
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76467 Nov 29, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
by the way, here's a pic of the two teens. Not exactly what you'd picture, eh?
http://www.startribune.com/local/181189391.ht...
No. Interesting that they took the non-narcotics

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#76468 Nov 29, 2012
You were in your home when you were robbed?

It's not paranoia to sit with a rifle in your lap, when people do actually break in your home.

If I want to sit up all night with a rifle in case someone breaks in, thats my right. I dont have to sit there with my thumb poised above the 911 speed dial.

So, you call the cops, then what? You run and hide till they get there? Remember when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
And I've actually been robbed. You really shouldn't assume you know what path people have been on in life.
If someone is that paranoid to lie in wait for the robbers, shoot them and then shoot them again after lying bleeding to death -- why wouldn't they install ADT or something similar? Not enough money? Sell a gun or two out of the arsenal.
I think they're paranoid people who don't stop and think for a minute. Hmmm, people have been robbing me. I think I'll install a security system and put 911 on speed dial. Make sure my locks are good. I'll also make sure I have personal protection on me IN CASE I NEED IT.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#76469 Nov 29, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
What?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76470 Nov 29, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they just took ALL the meds, figuring "let's worry about what they are later."

Location hidden

#76471 Nov 29, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha!
PEllen's comment raises an interesting question though. What if you invited someone in (like a salesperson, for example) and they turned out to have bad intentions? At that point, if you feel threatened, can you shoot them? I assume so, even though you initially invited them in...?
Whatever you were "feeling," it'd better be reasonable and persuasive enough to keep the authorities from feeling otherwise.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#76472 Nov 29, 2012
RACE wrote:
You were in your home when you were robbed?
It's not paranoia to sit with a rifle in your lap, when people do actually break in your home.
If I want to sit up all night with a rifle in case someone breaks in, thats my right. I dont have to sit there with my thumb poised above the 911 speed dial.
So, you call the cops, then what? You run and hide till they get there? Remember when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.
<quoted text>
Yes. Yes it is paranoid. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#76473 Nov 29, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
by the way, here's a pic of the two teens. Not exactly what you'd picture, eh?
http://www.startribune.com/local/181189391.ht...
On the contrary, they're EXACTLY what I pictured. Exactly. Right down to the hair colours and cuts.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#76474 Nov 29, 2012
loose cannon wrote:
I think that guy was drinking when he shot those teens execution style. He's probably a chronic alcoholic.
That's why he waited a day to call the police, so he could sober up a little and invent a story.
The man has absolutely no credibility.
Speaking of credibility, physician heal thyself. Where in the heck did any of that come from?

Miami, FL

#76475 Nov 29, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever you were "feeling," it'd better be reasonable and persuasive enough to keep the authorities from feeling otherwise.
I certainly hope so.

Bottom line, I've never been robbed, much less multiple times, so I have no idea how paranoid, scared, angry etc. I'd be in this guy's shoes. Yes, I think his reaction was extreme but it was preventable by either those kids getting caught sooner or... hey, them not robbing people at all!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#76476 Nov 29, 2012
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>On the contrary, they're EXACTLY what I pictured. Exactly. Right down to the hair colours and cuts.
Same. Said it happened in a rural area, so I assumed they were white.

Location hidden

#76477 Nov 29, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly hope so.
Bottom line, I've never been robbed, much less multiple times, so I have no idea how paranoid, scared, angry etc. I'd be in this guy's shoes. Yes, I think his reaction was extreme but it was preventable by either those kids getting caught sooner or... hey, them not robbing people at all!
Yeah, like the guy they robbed the day before said, "If they didn't break into people's homes, they'd still be alive." (And he felt that the shooter went too far.)

Location hidden

#76478 Nov 29, 2012
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>On the contrary, they're EXACTLY what I pictured. Exactly. Right down to the hair colours and cuts.
Heh. Good ol' rural Minnesota.

Location hidden

#76479 Nov 29, 2012
LIke the guys on the radio said, "They don't look like drug users and thieves. They look like homecoming king and queen>"

Newsflash: THey can be one and the same!
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#76480 Nov 29, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly hope so.
The big difference here that people seem to be glossing over is that he laid in wait for them. He turned all his lights off to make it look like he wasn't home when he was, and he waited to ambush them. It was premeditated. He wasn't defending himself. Those kids would have wet their pants the second they saw the gun and run out of the house. Or, for all the forethought he put in, he could have held them at gunpoint and called the police. Are thieves scumbags? Yes. Do they deserve to die for stealing coins and Mydol? Absolutely not.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#76481 Nov 29, 2012
On a different note, my bf let slip this morning that he got us tickets to see Ray Lamontagne at the Chicago Theatre on Saturday. Sooo excited! AND we're going to Girl and the Goat before!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#76482 Nov 29, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
LIke the guys on the radio said, "They don't look like drug users and thieves. They look like homecoming king and queen>"
Newsflash: THey can be one and the same!
They often *are* the same.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 18 min sonicfilter 1,124,642
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 31 min Elton 50,584
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 47 min loose cannon 179,259
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 53 min grave digger 47,478
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 55 min honeymylove 650
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 69,962
Chicago a model city 1 hr MIKETOUHY 5
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]