Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76423 Nov 28, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I already said the guy is probably going to be found guilty.
Also citing a law doesn't mean the law is common sense. It's only the law because flaming liberals value the lives of low life scum bags more than they value the right of law abiding citizens to not be subjected to threats of harm in their own home.
What a dumb thing to say. Liberals make all the laws?

Dumb.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#76424 Nov 28, 2012
Ok, so y'all know i'm not into politics, but i just saw on teh Chicago Tribune website taht former Congressman Mel Reynolds just officially enterd the race to replace jesse jackson jr.

the man was ousted on sex charges 18 years ago! alleged sex w/ an underaged campaign worker! alleged federal financial and campaign fraud charges! actually, since he served time on all three, i don't know if we still ahve to call it "alleged"...

his campaign slogan just slays me - "So he can finish the work." And what work would that be and how does he plan on "finishing' it?!?!? cant wait to see waht the comedians and columnists do with this one!

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#76425 Nov 28, 2012
I think that guy was drinking when he shot those teens execution style. He's probably a chronic alcoholic.
That's why he waited a day to call the police, so he could sober up a little and invent a story.
The man has absolutely no credibility.
Any way I look at it he's a double-murderer in the first degree.
He'll probably go to prison for manslaughter. I don't see him walking away from this hideousness.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76426 Nov 28, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? How do you know what their "intent" is? How much do people hate to get to a place where they shoot them dead when you're in no danger? How paranoid do you have to be in order to be so afraid to lose a possession that it's worth more than a life? I'm not saying give your stuff out, but there's a lot of room in between those two extremes.
It's too bad common sense has been lost for some.
They expressed their intent when they entered the dwelling without permission in a forceable manner. Once they were in his house he was entitled to use deadly force..

It is the fact that he shot a second time without provocation at that point or apparent expectation that the intruder would use force against him that has him in trouble
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76427 Nov 28, 2012
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text> He could have just shot them in the legs from that vantage point. They'd have limped away as fast as possible and ended up in jail.
Or, if they had weapons they could have shot him while they themselves were wounded.
Nope. Once inside the house they were subject to the owners right to defned his dwelling. It doesn't matter that the intruders thought the house was empty.

He would be in more trouble if he had rigged a trip wire to shoot an intruder when he was not home.

I am only being a bit sarcastic to say that the thought process was that he wss not going to let some kid live to sue him.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76428 Nov 28, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
Ok, so y'all know i'm not into politics, but i just saw on teh Chicago Tribune website taht former Congressman Mel Reynolds just officially enterd the race to replace jesse jackson jr.
the man was ousted on sex charges 18 years ago! alleged sex w/ an underaged campaign worker! alleged federal financial and campaign fraud charges! actually, since he served time on all three, i don't know if we still ahve to call it "alleged"...
his campaign slogan just slays me - "So he can finish the work." And what work would that be and how does he plan on "finishing' it?!?!? cant wait to see waht the comedians and columnists do with this one!
It is not alleged. Mel Reynolds was convicted. He also made some real big misrepresentations on his resume/biography as well as I recall.

Reynolds predecessor was Gus Savage who resigned because he had gone on an African information trip and was groping Peace Corp workers.

Also testing the waters is Todd Stroger who was massivly booted out of the County Board President office.

The Democrat Party Chairman is Joe Berrios who has said that the ethics rules do not apply to his office as County Assessor and that it is okay for him to use nepotism.

Where is Boundary Painter when we need her? These turkeys are continuing to give Illinois a bad name
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76429 Nov 28, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a planned massacre. He should have dialed 911. He didn't. He killed a person after being incapacitated.
Yes, you should defend yourself if someone comes into your home. You don't lie in wait. From a legal dictionary:
"A person claiming self-defense must prove at trial that the self-defense was justified. Generally a person may use reasonable force when it appears reasonably necessary to prevent an impending injury. A person using force in self-defense should use only so much force as is required to repel the attack. Nondeadly force can be used to repel either a nondeadly attack or a deadly attack. Deadly Force may be used to fend off an attacker who is using deadly force but may not be used to repel an attacker who is not using deadly force."
I guess I was right. Common sense is not so common after all.
That applies when you are on teh street. It does not apply when someone breaks into an occupied dwelling
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76430 Nov 28, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
And that, my friends, is what is wrong with our country. That's called vigilante unless you felt your life threatened. Not say you thought your life was threatened b/c you want to get out of trouble, that's still being a vigilante.
No. Vigilantes affirmatively assume teh role of teh police/ sherrif and pursue people they consider to be wrong doers.

This guy defended himself and his house from a forceable felony as it was occurring. Big difference

Location hidden

#76431 Nov 28, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
That applies when you are on teh street. It does not apply when someone breaks into an occupied dwelling
It does. Cops and prosecutors have spoken about this. He had zero legal right to shoot them after they were brought to the ground with the first shot. He also had the legal obligation to call the police (to report a shooting) and to call for aid for the injured. Required by law.

Location hidden

#76432 Nov 28, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Or, if they had weapons they could have shot him while they themselves were wounded.
Nope. Once inside the house they were subject to the owners right to defned his dwelling. It doesn't matter that the intruders thought the house was empty.
He would be in more trouble if he had rigged a trip wire to shoot an intruder when he was not home.
I am only being a bit sarcastic to say that the thought process was that he wss not going to let some kid live to sue him.
Incorrect. This guy IS being charged with murder. He broke the law once he killed them after they were lying on the ground.

Location hidden

#76433 Nov 28, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Vigilantes affirmatively assume teh role of teh police/ sherrif and pursue people they consider to be wrong doers.
This guy defended himself and his house from a forceable felony as it was occurring. Big difference
He wasn't defending himself when he shot the girl in the head, or the other kid in the face. THAT was murder.

Sub was right -- if this guy had killed them in one shot each (or quick successive shots; you ARE supposed to empty the chamber, I elieve), he'd not e in trouble. When he killed them he wasn't defending *anything*.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76434 Nov 28, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Too many gun owners look at these incidents like a "free play" or a free kill. In the article I read, the guy waited until the next day(!) to call anyone about the killings. In fact, he called a neighbor for legal advice, the next day, and the neighbor called the police. He had not wanted to bother them "...on the holiday..." He spent the night with two dead teenagers in his basement. Who does that?

So, clearly the guy is looney toons. He probably thinks liberals are responsible for all the frivolous or pro-crime laws.

Location hidden

#76435 Nov 28, 2012
I really need to learn to read through the comments bbefore popsting.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#76436 Nov 28, 2012
Well, everyone can think what they want. I believe if you lie in wait for someone and shoot them down and then kill them after you have rendered them defenseless and cannot do you harm, that's a murderer.

That also highly vigilante behavior not calling the police and acting like the police yourself.

Location hidden

#76437 Nov 28, 2012
Toj wrote:
Well, everyone can think what they want. I believe if you lie in wait for someone and shoot them down and then kill them after you have rendered them defenseless and cannot do you harm, that's a murderer.
That also highly vigilante behavior not calling the police and acting like the police yourself.
i agree with you.

I think he should have called the cops when he heard the glass break. I think he should have called the cops when he fired the first shot.

Enjoy prison for 20 years, dude. You were a security guard for the feds. I think that puts you in "cop" territory when it comes to federal prison and how other inmates treat you.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#76438 Nov 28, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Or, if they had weapons they could have shot him while they themselves were wounded.
He dragged the wounded girl into another space and then blew her brains out, and that's okay with you?
Really? She was already shot and incapacitated, so it's okay to finish her off while she's bleeding out?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76439 Nov 28, 2012
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>He dragged the wounded girl into another space and then blew her brains out, and that's okay with you?
Really? She was already shot and incapacitated, so it's okay to finish her off while she's bleeding out?
No.
But it is okay by me to sit in my house and wait with a weapon, and if someone breaks in and is fully in the house, to shoot them, throw the kitchen knife at them, use dried peas and a soda straw at their eyeball, whatever with the expectation of doing great bodily harm, not just slowing them down to wait for the cops to collect.
It is not okay to drag a wounded person off and administer a coup de grace, nor put their bodies in the shed while I decide whether to call a lawyer or the cops.If you do the deed, you take the risks and the consequences. That is what happened to the 2 intruders; same goes for the homeowner

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#76440 Nov 29, 2012
Walk a mile, and you might get a better understanding.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
That's someone who is hunting people. He should be shot in the groin and put in a cell and left to bleed.
Since when do you do a horrific thing in order to right a wrong?

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#76441 Nov 29, 2012
I keep seeing this on Facebook:

"PLEASE place your mouse over my name above (DO NOT CLICK), a window will appear, now move the mouse on “FRIENDS" (also without clicking), then down to "Settings", click here and a list will appear. REMOVE the CHECK on "COMMENTS & LIKE" and also "PHOTOS" by clicking on each one. By doing this, my activity amongst my friends and family will no longer become public.
Thank you very much for doing this. Now, copy and paste this on your wall.
Once I see this posted on your page I will do the same for you."

WTF, Facebook? People can't control their own privacy settings?

Location hidden

#76442 Nov 29, 2012
I understand that in a small town environment, lots of people know other people's bizness. But why on earth would you want people to know you have anything even worth stealing? Like guns and cash lying around?
My new neighborhood is, well, dodgy here and there, and I tend to keep a decent amount of cash on me. I used to keep it in my underwear drawer, but that's an obvious place to look -- dresser drawers. In this neighborhood, I'll be finding a less obvious place to stash the cash.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min forks_make_us_fat 1,126,193
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 41 min Frijoles 70,076
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 42 min TRD 68,649
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Beavis 179,348
Emanuel set to outline re-election agenda in fi... 1 hr wasademocratNomore 5
durban women lets explore your fantasies bbm pins 3 hr slum ou 3
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 3 hr obomba 102
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]