Topix Chitown Regulars
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76430 Nov 28, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
And that, my friends, is what is wrong with our country. That's called vigilante unless you felt your life threatened. Not say you thought your life was threatened b/c you want to get out of trouble, that's still being a vigilante.
No. Vigilantes affirmatively assume teh role of teh police/ sherrif and pursue people they consider to be wrong doers.

This guy defended himself and his house from a forceable felony as it was occurring. Big difference

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76431 Nov 28, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
That applies when you are on teh street. It does not apply when someone breaks into an occupied dwelling
It does. Cops and prosecutors have spoken about this. He had zero legal right to shoot them after they were brought to the ground with the first shot. He also had the legal obligation to call the police (to report a shooting) and to call for aid for the injured. Required by law.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76432 Nov 28, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Or, if they had weapons they could have shot him while they themselves were wounded.
Nope. Once inside the house they were subject to the owners right to defned his dwelling. It doesn't matter that the intruders thought the house was empty.
He would be in more trouble if he had rigged a trip wire to shoot an intruder when he was not home.
I am only being a bit sarcastic to say that the thought process was that he wss not going to let some kid live to sue him.
Incorrect. This guy IS being charged with murder. He broke the law once he killed them after they were lying on the ground.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76433 Nov 28, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Vigilantes affirmatively assume teh role of teh police/ sherrif and pursue people they consider to be wrong doers.
This guy defended himself and his house from a forceable felony as it was occurring. Big difference
He wasn't defending himself when he shot the girl in the head, or the other kid in the face. THAT was murder.

Sub was right -- if this guy had killed them in one shot each (or quick successive shots; you ARE supposed to empty the chamber, I elieve), he'd not e in trouble. When he killed them he wasn't defending *anything*.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76434 Nov 28, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Vigilantes affirmatively assume teh role of teh police/ sherrif and pursue people they consider to be wrong doers.
This guy defended himself and his house from a forceable felony as it was occurring. Big difference
Too many gun owners look at these incidents like a "free play" or a free kill. In the article I read, the guy waited until the next day(!) to call anyone about the killings. In fact, he called a neighbor for legal advice, the next day, and the neighbor called the police. He had not wanted to bother them "...on the holiday..." He spent the night with two dead teenagers in his basement. Who does that?

So, clearly the guy is looney toons. He probably thinks liberals are responsible for all the frivolous or pro-crime laws.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76435 Nov 28, 2012
I really need to learn to read through the comments bbefore popsting.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#76436 Nov 28, 2012
Well, everyone can think what they want. I believe if you lie in wait for someone and shoot them down and then kill them after you have rendered them defenseless and cannot do you harm, that's a murderer.

That also highly vigilante behavior not calling the police and acting like the police yourself.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76437 Nov 28, 2012
Toj wrote:
Well, everyone can think what they want. I believe if you lie in wait for someone and shoot them down and then kill them after you have rendered them defenseless and cannot do you harm, that's a murderer.
That also highly vigilante behavior not calling the police and acting like the police yourself.
i agree with you.

I think he should have called the cops when he heard the glass break. I think he should have called the cops when he fired the first shot.

Enjoy prison for 20 years, dude. You were a security guard for the feds. I think that puts you in "cop" territory when it comes to federal prison and how other inmates treat you.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#76438 Nov 28, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Or, if they had weapons they could have shot him while they themselves were wounded.
Nope. Once inside the house they were subject to the owners right to defned his dwelling. It doesn't matter that the intruders thought the house was empty.
He would be in more trouble if he had rigged a trip wire to shoot an intruder when he was not home.
I am only being a bit sarcastic to say that the thought process was that he wss not going to let some kid live to sue him.
He dragged the wounded girl into another space and then blew her brains out, and that's okay with you?
Really? She was already shot and incapacitated, so it's okay to finish her off while she's bleeding out?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76439 Nov 28, 2012
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>He dragged the wounded girl into another space and then blew her brains out, and that's okay with you?
Really? She was already shot and incapacitated, so it's okay to finish her off while she's bleeding out?
No.
But it is okay by me to sit in my house and wait with a weapon, and if someone breaks in and is fully in the house, to shoot them, throw the kitchen knife at them, use dried peas and a soda straw at their eyeball, whatever with the expectation of doing great bodily harm, not just slowing them down to wait for the cops to collect.
It is not okay to drag a wounded person off and administer a coup de grace, nor put their bodies in the shed while I decide whether to call a lawyer or the cops.If you do the deed, you take the risks and the consequences. That is what happened to the 2 intruders; same goes for the homeowner

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#76440 Nov 29, 2012
Walk a mile, and you might get a better understanding.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
That's someone who is hunting people. He should be shot in the groin and put in a cell and left to bleed.
Since when do you do a horrific thing in order to right a wrong?

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#76441 Nov 29, 2012
I keep seeing this on Facebook:

"PLEASE place your mouse over my name above (DO NOT CLICK), a window will appear, now move the mouse on “FRIENDS" (also without clicking), then down to "Settings", click here and a list will appear. REMOVE the CHECK on "COMMENTS & LIKE" and also "PHOTOS" by clicking on each one. By doing this, my activity amongst my friends and family will no longer become public.
Thank you very much for doing this. Now, copy and paste this on your wall.
Once I see this posted on your page I will do the same for you."

WTF, Facebook? People can't control their own privacy settings?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76442 Nov 29, 2012
I understand that in a small town environment, lots of people know other people's bizness. But why on earth would you want people to know you have anything even worth stealing? Like guns and cash lying around?
My new neighborhood is, well, dodgy here and there, and I tend to keep a decent amount of cash on me. I used to keep it in my underwear drawer, but that's an obvious place to look -- dresser drawers. In this neighborhood, I'll be finding a less obvious place to stash the cash.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76443 Nov 29, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
I keep seeing this on Facebook:
"PLEASE place your mouse over my name above (DO NOT CLICK), a window will appear, now move the mouse on “FRIENDS" (also without clicking), then down to "Settings", click here and a list will appear. REMOVE the CHECK on "COMMENTS & LIKE" and also "PHOTOS" by clicking on each one. By doing this, my activity amongst my friends and family will no longer become public.
Thank you very much for doing this. Now, copy and paste this on your wall.
Once I see this posted on your page I will do the same for you."
WTF, Facebook? People can't control their own privacy settings?
I think I've seen that before, like a couple of years ago. I ignored it.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#76444 Nov 29, 2012
Exactly! You have no idea what their "Intent" is do you? Are they there to make me breakfast or bash me in the head with a bat and take my cereal? I dont know, so to keep innocent dogooders safe, I lock my doors and installed a doorbell so they can announce themselves.
When people circumvent these standard practices, then I have to assume their "Intent" is to attack me unaware, dispatch me with whatever means necessary (read kill me) and then take whatever they want.

The man said he had been robbed of his weapons, is it not logical to believe that these people were carrying them? So he was in danger, he was afraid for his life and had every right to shoot them.

How the hello can you defend punks who steal what you work so hard to buy? Their life is not worth more than mine, and if they break into a home and they get shot, too damn bad.

You live in a fantasy world if you think that the people who break into your home will leave you unmolested if you simply tell them to take whatever they want. That only empowers them to do more, because you are telling them they are safe from you trying to either stop them or trying to escape and call the cops. Hell, you may as well as just called them up and invited them over to rob you.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? How do you know what their "intent" is? How much do people hate to get to a place where they shoot them dead when you're in no danger? How paranoid do you have to be in order to be so afraid to lose a possession that it's worth more than a life? I'm not saying give your stuff out, but there's a lot of room in between those two extremes.
It's too bad common sense has been lost for some.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#76445 Nov 29, 2012
I've been around the block a few times myself.
And I have seen people walk away from justifiable homicide.
That man and his false show of bravado will not stand up to the scutiny of truth, I do believe.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#76446 Nov 29, 2012
I'm mostly with Race and Sub on the shooting thing. I do think it was cold-blooded of the guy to finish off the intruders the way he did, but at the end of the day, they broke the law. He felt threatened and did what he had to do to protect himself.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#76447 Nov 29, 2012

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#76448 Nov 29, 2012
I have to agree about the kill shots, but just like road rage, or Berny Getz (sp) he was beyond pissed off, it was a total release of frustration/anger/impotence. He was running on adrenaline and in total fight or flight mode, and he was fighting.
Too easy to stand on the sideline and judge when he should have stopped, and he probably should have, but I can relate to his inability to see that line himself.
j_m_w wrote:
I'm mostly with Race and Sub on the shooting thing. I do think it was cold-blooded of the guy to finish off the intruders the way he did, but at the end of the day, they broke the law. He felt threatened and did what he had to do to protect himself.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#76449 Nov 29, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
I'm mostly with Race and Sub on the shooting thing. I do think it was cold-blooded of the guy to finish off the intruders the way he did, but at the end of the day, they broke the law. He felt threatened and did what he had to do to protect himself.
Yeah, same. It was really easy for them to just *not* be there. I don't think the law will see it that way, but *shrug*.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Grey Ghost 1,275,123
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 min boundary painter 6,405
ask amy 8-29-15 4 min boundary painter 2
abby 8-28-15 11 min boundary painter 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 196,945
News Peggy Hubbard Exposes Hypocrisy of #blacklivesm... 4 hr reality is a crutch 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 hr Trey LaTrache 54,497
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages