“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#76363 Nov 27, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, both candidates for the presidency under your party, support banning birth control. Michele Bachmann has stated this as well.
And none of them won the nomination, did they?
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Paul Ryan and Romney both are opposed to free birth control (which has been *proven* to reduce unwanted pregnancies AND abortion rates), or anyone paying for it other than yourself (i.e., shouldn't be covered under employee health plans).
I do not think it should be the tax-payer's responsibility to provide birth-control for women. Guess that must mean I hate women.

People need to be responsible for themselves, and not be utterly dependent on the government for everything. That is not freedom.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76364 Nov 27, 2012
I need a cocktail.\

I have a pot roast with veggies waiting for me in the crockpot at home. Come on over. Baked potatoes and sweet potatoes were done last night. Salad. Nick's bringing the rolls.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#76365 Nov 27, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the big differences is the Democrats in power would like to help the little guy. The disenfranchised. The middle class. THE GOP has no interest in any of that.
This simply isn't true. You are so oblivious it's kinda funny. But mostly sad.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76366 Nov 27, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, both candidates for the presidency under your party, support banning birth control. Michele Bachmann has stated this as well. Paul Ryan and Romney both are opposed to free birth control (which has been *proven* to reduce unwanted pregnancies AND abortion rates), or anyone paying for it other than yourself (i.e., shouldn't be covered under employee health plans).
Difference between a candidate who didn't get past the primaries stating something and it being an official party plank.

Romney was not opposed to birth control being covered by insurance. He was opposed to religious employers being forced to carry insurance policies that provided coverage for birth control. He said that was violating the separation of church and state.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76367 Nov 27, 2012
/end psychorant : )

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#76368 Nov 27, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
"These people"?
They know who they are.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#76369 Nov 27, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Difference between a candidate who didn't get past the primaries stating something and it being an official party plank.
Romney was not opposed to birth control being covered by insurance. He was opposed to religious employers being forced to carry insurance policies that provided coverage for birth control. He said that was violating the separation of church and state.
Personally, I have a big problem with how many religious organizations run hospitals "their way". It's downright frightening how the Catholics dispense pain killers, etc. And I was raised Catholic.

It's not like you have an option in some towns whether or not you want to have a procedure done or get admitted into emergency at a religious institution.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76370 Nov 27, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, I have a big problem with how many religious organizations run hospitals "their way". It's downright frightening how the Catholics dispense pain killers, etc. And I was raised Catholic.
It's not like you have an option in some towns whether or not you want to have a procedure done or get admitted into emergency at a religious institution.
Seriously?

Do Catholic Hospitals dispense too much or not enough pain medication?
What does that have to do with being Catholic? Are you suggesting they allowing suffering as part of a redemptive process to anyone confined in their hospital?
That is a far out statement. I have seen enough medical records from LUMC and similar places to seriously doubt they withold meds for religious reasons

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#76371 Nov 27, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
I'm opposed to government telling ANY business, religious or otherwise, what type of insurance policies it MUST provide for their employees.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#76372 Nov 27, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously?
Do Catholic Hospitals dispense too much or not enough pain medication?
What does that have to do with being Catholic? Are you suggesting they allowing suffering as part of a redemptive process to anyone confined in their hospital?
That is a far out statement. I have seen enough medical records from LUMC and similar places to seriously doubt they withold meds for religious reasons
Yes they do.

"Catholic hospitals are required to obey a list of ethical and religious directives put forth by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. And St. Elizabeth officials have stated their intention to remain a Catholic hospital even after a possible merger."
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76373 Nov 27, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm opposed to government telling ANY business, religious or otherwise, what type of insurance policies it MUST provide for their employees.
Do that include mandatory workers comoensation insurance coverage, too? That has been required for something around 100 years ago and the Supremes upheld it agianst the Teddy Roosevelt era Robber Barons as a valid exercise of social policy

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#76374 Nov 27, 2012
Pellen,
I've always liked Loyola.
They serve a community of over several million people.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#76375 Nov 27, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Do that include mandatory workers comoensation insurance coverage, too? That has been required for something around 100 years ago and the Supremes upheld it agianst the Teddy Roosevelt era Robber Barons as a valid exercise of social policy
Forgive me, my comment was regarding HEALTH insurance. Health insurance. Sorry for not explicitly qualifying that.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76376 Nov 27, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they do.
"Catholic hospitals are required to obey a list of ethical and religious directives put forth by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. And St. Elizabeth officials have stated their intention to remain a Catholic hospital even after a possible merger."
There are ethical and religious directives from the Conference of Catholic Bishops addressing pain medication?

I am aware there are edicts against hastening end of life and abortion, but I am seriously surprised that the Bishops would limit use of pain medication for pain relief.

If you have a specific entry you can cite, I would very much like to see it. I have heard any number of anti-Catholic accusations over the years but this one profoundly surprises me.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76377 Nov 27, 2012
loose cannon wrote:
Pellen,
I've always liked Loyola.
They serve a community of over several million people.
You are the subject matter expert on this one. Are there religious restrictions on administration of medication for pain relief in Catholic hospitals?
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76378 Nov 27, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgive me, my comment was regarding HEALTH insurance. Health insurance. Sorry for not explicitly qualifying that.
Why do you distinguish between the source of illness or injury to decide whether insurance should be mandatory?

If I break my leg at work the employer is compelled to provide coverage for medical care, but if I break my leg at home they do not?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#76379 Nov 27, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you distinguish between the source of illness or injury to decide whether insurance should be mandatory?
If I break my leg at work the employer is compelled to provide coverage for medical care, but if I break my leg at home they do not?
Is getting knocked up a source of illness or injury?(well, it can be both if it's done by me, but that's besides the point)

And is it happening at home or at work?

“No. 1 Stunna”

Location hidden

#76380 Nov 28, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
As for the racist policies of our government, NUMEROUS city officials have gone on record for past decisions,*admitting* that freeways and other major infrastructure were purposely done in black neighborhoods, because they didn't have the voting power to stop it.
Actually, you didn't say racist policies of our government, you said racist policies of the republican party, as it exists today.

Now to support your unfounded and ridiculous statement that the republican party is racist you point to shyte that happened 40 or 50 years ago. Not only that, buy you point to "city officials".

How the do you know what political party these "city officials" were associated with? They could have just as well been democrats as republicans. <face palm>

You wanna talk about my lawyering skills, but all I can say is good thing you aren't a lawyer. You'd just embarrass yourself or worse yet, get disbarred for incompetence. Were you drinking all day yesterday, or something?

“No. 1 Stunna”

Location hidden

#76381 Nov 28, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
This.

Romney and Ryan aside, all she has done is named few nut jobs from the republican party, who are not mainstream, and then applies their extremist views to the entire republican party.

In terms of Romney and Ryan all she has done is distorted their views. In her mind, if you don't support abortion you hate women. It couldn't possibly because rather than hating women you see a fetus as an unborn living person, who shouldn't be murdered by their mom. Nope, it's cause you hate women.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#76382 Nov 28, 2012
Well, at least we got the conversation going in here again! I was worried for a few days, it was too quiet. Don't leave me now, gang.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abby 10-24 2 min Pippa 4
Uniosun Admission List (utme/de) 2014/2015 Rele... 10 min Dr Lucky 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Grey Ghost 1,126,719
Ansu Supplementary Admission 2014/2015 Released... 16 min Dr Lucky 1
Ibadan Polytechnic 2014/2015 1st Bach Is Out, F... 24 min Dr Lucky 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min loose cannon 179,393
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 28 min RACE 7,823
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]