Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me that one. I don't recall seeing it.
Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, both candidates for the presidency under your party, support banning birth control. Michele Bachmann has stated this as well. Paul Ryan and Romney both are opposed to free birth control (which has been *proven* to reduce unwanted pregnancies AND abortion rates), or anyone paying for it other than yourself (i.e., shouldn't be covered under employee health plans).

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

As for the racist policies of our government, NUMEROUS city officials have gone on record for past decisions, *admitting* that freeways and other major infrastructure were purposely done in black neighborhoods, because they didn't have the voting power to stop it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
What?!?
I don 't think that the syphillis-experiments, etc can be blamed on today's Republican Party. Institutionalized racism transcended party lines.
That's just our government, period, at work. Although, southern Democrats became REpublicans when the Civil Rights Act was passed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
What?!?
I don 't think that the syphillis-experiments, etc can be blamed on today's Republican Party. Institutionalized racism transcended party lines.
There is very little difference in the actual behind the scenes "leaders" in both parties. Rich people who can't relate to the concerns of the middle class and seem to care more about how to get re-elected and the needs of the lobbyists than their constituents.
The big difference is in the people who are trying to make big names for themselves. They have to figure out how to distinguish themselves from the *other* party and come up with some wild sound bites (often thanks to some leading or prodding by the media) in the process.
Why are we talking about politics again? Today is Giving Tuesday.
No, the big differences is the Democrats in power would like to help the little guy. The disenfranchised. The middle class. THE GOP has no interest in any of that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Meanwhile, my party wants to give money away to poor people too lazy to work. We all have our failings, I guess.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, both candidates for the presidency under your party, support banning birth control. Michele Bachmann has stated this as well.
And none of them won the nomination, did they?
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Paul Ryan and Romney both are opposed to free birth control (which has been *proven* to reduce unwanted pregnancies AND abortion rates), or anyone paying for it other than yourself (i.e., shouldn't be covered under employee health plans).
I do not think it should be the tax-payer's responsibility to provide birth-control for women. Guess that must mean I hate women.

People need to be responsible for themselves, and not be utterly dependent on the government for everything. That is not freedom.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

I need a cocktail.\

I have a pot roast with veggies waiting for me in the crockpot at home. Come on over. Baked potatoes and sweet potatoes were done last night. Salad. Nick's bringing the rolls.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the big differences is the Democrats in power would like to help the little guy. The disenfranchised. The middle class. THE GOP has no interest in any of that.
This simply isn't true. You are so oblivious it's kinda funny. But mostly sad.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, both candidates for the presidency under your party, support banning birth control. Michele Bachmann has stated this as well. Paul Ryan and Romney both are opposed to free birth control (which has been *proven* to reduce unwanted pregnancies AND abortion rates), or anyone paying for it other than yourself (i.e., shouldn't be covered under employee health plans).
Difference between a candidate who didn't get past the primaries stating something and it being an official party plank.

Romney was not opposed to birth control being covered by insurance. He was opposed to religious employers being forced to carry insurance policies that provided coverage for birth control. He said that was violating the separation of church and state.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

/end psychorant : )

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
"These people"?
They know who they are.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Difference between a candidate who didn't get past the primaries stating something and it being an official party plank.
Romney was not opposed to birth control being covered by insurance. He was opposed to religious employers being forced to carry insurance policies that provided coverage for birth control. He said that was violating the separation of church and state.
Personally, I have a big problem with how many religious organizations run hospitals "their way". It's downright frightening how the Catholics dispense pain killers, etc. And I was raised Catholic.

It's not like you have an option in some towns whether or not you want to have a procedure done or get admitted into emergency at a religious institution.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, I have a big problem with how many religious organizations run hospitals "their way". It's downright frightening how the Catholics dispense pain killers, etc. And I was raised Catholic.
It's not like you have an option in some towns whether or not you want to have a procedure done or get admitted into emergency at a religious institution.
Seriously?

Do Catholic Hospitals dispense too much or not enough pain medication?
What does that have to do with being Catholic? Are you suggesting they allowing suffering as part of a redemptive process to anyone confined in their hospital?
That is a far out statement. I have seen enough medical records from LUMC and similar places to seriously doubt they withold meds for religious reasons

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
I'm opposed to government telling ANY business, religious or otherwise, what type of insurance policies it MUST provide for their employees.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously?
Do Catholic Hospitals dispense too much or not enough pain medication?
What does that have to do with being Catholic? Are you suggesting they allowing suffering as part of a redemptive process to anyone confined in their hospital?
That is a far out statement. I have seen enough medical records from LUMC and similar places to seriously doubt they withold meds for religious reasons
Yes they do.

"Catholic hospitals are required to obey a list of ethical and religious directives put forth by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. And St. Elizabeth officials have stated their intention to remain a Catholic hospital even after a possible merger."
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm opposed to government telling ANY business, religious or otherwise, what type of insurance policies it MUST provide for their employees.
Do that include mandatory workers comoensation insurance coverage, too? That has been required for something around 100 years ago and the Supremes upheld it agianst the Teddy Roosevelt era Robber Barons as a valid exercise of social policy

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Pellen,
I've always liked Loyola.
They serve a community of over several million people.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Do that include mandatory workers comoensation insurance coverage, too? That has been required for something around 100 years ago and the Supremes upheld it agianst the Teddy Roosevelt era Robber Barons as a valid exercise of social policy
Forgive me, my comment was regarding HEALTH insurance. Health insurance. Sorry for not explicitly qualifying that.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they do.
"Catholic hospitals are required to obey a list of ethical and religious directives put forth by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. And St. Elizabeth officials have stated their intention to remain a Catholic hospital even after a possible merger."
There are ethical and religious directives from the Conference of Catholic Bishops addressing pain medication?

I am aware there are edicts against hastening end of life and abortion, but I am seriously surprised that the Bishops would limit use of pain medication for pain relief.

If you have a specific entry you can cite, I would very much like to see it. I have heard any number of anti-Catholic accusations over the years but this one profoundly surprises me.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

loose cannon wrote:
Pellen,
I've always liked Loyola.
They serve a community of over several million people.
You are the subject matter expert on this one. Are there religious restrictions on administration of medication for pain relief in Catholic hospitals?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••