Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76299 Nov 26, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The women I've known (several) who'ev had an abortion were very okay with it afterwards. Maybe a bit sad at the loss of an unknown future, but they knew they'd made the right choice.
But this woman... I have to wonder how much she thought this through. I wonder how sure she was when she went through with it. Because I"ve not known any friend to need therapy afterwards.
She said in the letter that she felt like she only had bad choices. That sucks. The women I know who have had abortions ranged from very broken up afterward to "I did what I had to do" attitudes. But I've only known one who had one while we actually knew each other (the rest are from the past).

Boynton Beach, FL

#76300 Nov 26, 2012
There are seven women who I know have had abortions (they told me) and I'm guessing there are many more in my life who have had them and I *don't* know it. I'm not for abortion, but some of my very closest friends have had them. I would never judge anyone since I haven't been in the situation of ever having to make that decision myself.

Boynton Beach, FL

#76301 Nov 26, 2012
Oh, one last thing. By "very broken up" I mean sad, guilty, depressed, took a long time to emotionally heal from, but nothing like the LW. I've never known anyone to contemplate in-patient therapy for it.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76302 Nov 26, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
She said in the letter that she felt like she only had bad choices. That sucks. The women I know who have had abortions ranged from very broken up afterward to "I did what I had to do" attitudes. But I've only known one who had one while we actually knew each other (the rest are from the past).
I was newly friends with someone when she had hers, but she told me several years later and we've known each other for 25 years.

I figure there's a lot more out there, t hey just don't talk about it.

The only person who made me angry: "Catholic" coworker who opted to keep her pregnancy (by her convicted bank robber then imprisoned boyfriend), because she'd already had two abortions and thought if she aborted this one, she might not get another chance to have a baby.

Right. Because you've had such trouble conceiving with all your sleeping around as it is.(I mean, geez, I've slept around, but at least was smart about it.)

Location hidden

#76303 Nov 26, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
Oh, one last thing. By "very broken up" I mean sad, guilty, depressed, took a long time to emotionally heal from, but nothing like the LW. I've never known anyone to contemplate in-patient therapy for it.
I suspect this $1K/day "therapy" is a scam, and they prey on women like her who feel like they'll do/pay anything to feel better.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#76304 Nov 26, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect this $1K/day "therapy" is a scam, and they prey on women like her who feel like they'll do/pay anything to feel better.
I haven't read teh letter itself but I wonder if it is something akin to post partum depression or the depression/hormones that hit after a stillbirth.

In patient psychotherapy is expensive. Our ex Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr could not have afforded it if he did not hae Federal full medical benefits.

The legitimacy of the conditionwas debated a couple years ago by Tom Cruise and Brooke Shields

Location hidden

#76305 Nov 26, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't read teh letter itself but I wonder if it is something akin to post partum depression or the depression/hormones that hit after a stillbirth.
That's a good point. That never occurred to me!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#76306 Nov 26, 2012
So tax payers will fund the mental treatment of their elected officials while refusing to pay for the medication for a single mother working as a waitress? Sweet!

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#76307 Nov 26, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The women I've known (several) who've had an abortion were very okay with it afterwards. Maybe a bit sad at the loss of an unknown future, but they knew they'd made the right choice.
But this woman... I have to wonder how much she thought this through. I wonder how sure she was when she went through with it. Because I've not known any friend to need therapy afterwards.
This. All of it.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76308 Nov 26, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
So tax payers will fund the mental treatment of their elected officials while refusing to pay for the medication for a single mother working as a waitress? Sweet!
Were you in his district? It goes to Kankakee

Location hidden

#76309 Nov 26, 2012
Sigh. You'd think I'd learn. I ran behind on my schedule, and I wanted to bake potatoes tonight for supper tomorrow night. That hour will be up around 10:15. yay.(i'm ready for bed NOW!)

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#76310 Nov 26, 2012
Dayum. On Intervention tonight, 27 -year-old meth head--when she was 11, her mom and stepdad let her 15 y/o sister's TWENTY THREE y/o boyfriend move in with them. Guess who got violently raped repeatedly. Yeahhh, parents o' the year.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76311 Nov 26, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Dayum. On Intervention tonight, 27 -year-old meth head--when she was 11, her mom and stepdad let her 15 y/o sister's TWENTY THREE y/o boyfriend move in with them. Guess who got violently raped repeatedly. Yeahhh, parents o' the year.
That's one show I can't quite stomach. It either hits too close to home for me or I want to hurt the parents for not doing a better job of protecting/parenting their children.

I drank too much caffeine tonight and just finished watching Rent. I love that movie. Tomorrow is going to be a long day, though...

Miami, FL

#76312 Nov 27, 2012

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#76313 Nov 27, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
I watched it. Her son tried to commit suicide to try to get her to stop. It didn't work. Seems she might be on the right road now after the Intervention therapy.

What did you think of her mother? Was she a trip? And a dad totally the opposite. No wonder she was a mess with everything that happened to her and having those parents.

I skipped the heroin addict next. I can't stand seeing someone shoot themselves with a needle.

Location hidden

#76314 Nov 27, 2012
Interesting stuff:

Social Security, when introduced, excluded women and nonwhites from eligibility, so decades ago, Congress decided that any white man who worked for ten years deserved a basic level of insurance, along with his spouse.

Of course, later race and gender barriers to entitlements were far less explicit. Between 1960 and 1980 when the full retirement age was 65, black men could theoretically qualify for benefits, but the average life expectancy of an African American male was roughly 62 years old. So Blacks would pay into the program their entire lives and die before they could take any substantive advantage.

Then in the 1980s, when Black male life expectancy had finally increased to 65, it was decided that entitlements needed an overhaul and the age of full retirement was raised to 67.

Currently, Black male life expectancy is finally at 70, and what a SHOCK that Romney/Ryan would have raised the age of Medicare eligibility to 70...

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#76316 Nov 27, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Interesting stuff:
Social Security, when introduced, excluded women and nonwhites from eligibility, so decades ago, Congress decided that any white man who worked for ten years deserved a basic level of insurance, along with his spouse.
Of course, later race and gender barriers to entitlements were far less explicit. Between 1960 and 1980 when the full retirement age was 65, black men could theoretically qualify for benefits, but the average life expectancy of an African American male was roughly 62 years old. So Blacks would pay into the program their entire lives and die before they could take any substantive advantage.
Then in the 1980s, when Black male life expectancy had finally increased to 65, it was decided that entitlements needed an overhaul and the age of full retirement was raised to 67.
Currently, Black male life expectancy is finally at 70, and what a SHOCK that Romney/Ryan would have raised the age of Medicare eligibility to 70...
Yes, it's all a GRAND CONSPIRACY to target black men. The white folks (only the men ... the women are angels and they don't do this ... it's only evil white men) in Congress all have charts on their walls that they update every year, showing the life expectancy of black men and when it gets too high, they say ahhh, it's time to jack the age up to punish them black people. That they continuously raise the age has nothing to do with making these programs more sustainable and to reflect the fact that folks are living longer. It's all about black men and keeping them down (not black women, tho, they are apparently alright in the eyes of the evil white congressmen)

I suggest you take off the tinfoil hat.

Also, although I think for anyone to suggest that such things are determined according to the average life expectancy of black men is ridiculous on its face, is that the average life expectancy from birth or for those who have become adults. IT is often said that when social security was created the average life expectancy was less than 65 ... so most folks never lived long enough to receive it, but that's not really true because that number is skewed by the relatively high infant mortality rate back then.

http://www.ssa.gov/history/lifeexpect.html

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#76317 Nov 27, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Don't try to pin this on Romney/Ryan. There's been talk, on both sides, of raising medicare eligibility for some time now.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#76318 Nov 27, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched it. Her son tried to commit suicide to try to get her to stop. It didn't work. Seems she might be on the right road now after the Intervention therapy.
What did you think of her mother? Was she a trip? And a dad totally the opposite. No wonder she was a mess with everything that happened to her and having those parents.
I skipped the heroin addict next. I can't stand seeing someone shoot themselves with a needle.
Yeah. Awful human beings. Did you hear what the dad said? Something like "She's less of a priority now that I've re-married." or some such nonsense. Doesn't sound like she was *ever* a priority.

The heroin one was just a spoiled manchild. No traumatic events, just given a lot of freedom and not a lot of rules early on. He was dating--get this--a drug and alcohol counselor. She thought she could *fix* him, and she was the one who actually called Intervention to get him on the show, but *she* ended up doing heroin and going to treatment.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#76319 Nov 27, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't try to pin this on Romney/Ryan. There's been talk, on both sides, of raising medicare eligibility for some time now.
I think it's absolutely absurd to suggest that the average life span of black men going up is what motivated them to suggest raising it. That's bat shyte crazy talk.

She needs to stop going on the black panthers website.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Yeah 1,153,965
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 32 min OzRitz 49,192
sex 1 hr rahul 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques Ottawa 181,813
amy 12-20 1 hr Pippa 5
abby 12-20 1 hr Pippa 5
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr RACE 4,917
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:28 am PST

Bleacher Report11:28AM
Jay Cutler Rumors: Latest Details, Speculation on Bears QB's Future
Bleacher Report11:39 AM
Complete Week 16 Preview for Indianapolis
NBC Sports12:33 PM
1 thing even Rahm can't fix: Da Bears - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 1:01 PM
Cowboys' Murray listed as questionable for Colts - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler