Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
I totally neglected to post yesterday about Rutgers moving to the Big 10. Woo hoo!
This is pretty much all my husband and I have been talking about for the past 2 days (he hates RU and thinks this will destroy their football program). I am so excited, both for their athletic and academic opportunities.
I wonder when they're gonig to give it up and just rename it what it is -- the Big 13 (or whatever it is right now).

But welcome to Big 10 country! Go Hawkeyes!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder when they're gonig to give it up and just rename it what it is -- the Big 13 (or whatever it is right now).
But welcome to Big 10 country! Go Hawkeyes!
Just call it the I-80 Corridor and be done with it.

Jss- how do you figure that will change academic opportunities?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
The butterfly garden and the bird aviary where you can feed the birds with birdseed on a stick are my boys' favorite part of our local zoo.
I am worried that my boys will be the ones who try to jump into the other exhibits to get closer to the animals.
But you will teach them which ones they can safely do that.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right about that. She's way more sensitive to that kind of stuff. My mom thinks the kids should just buck up and deal.
I decided this might be the last vacation we do together with them. She always makes me feel like I'm still 12 years old.
Then take this opportunity to not be 12 and speak up exactly how you feel. A take on someone's repsonse to a letter -- tell her you are her child but those are YOUR kids and she will respect your wishes or will not be going with you to outings nor you with her. Her choice. You gotta give her the line not to cross otherwise she'll just do it.

Sorry, Squishy. Some parents just don't understand that you are now a parent and you need to tell her and be firm like a good parent. Sucks, but there it is.

At least you know she loves the kids and that's a good thing.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

So Nickís kids are sick. Is it wrong for me to hope that theyíre too sick to go to Thanksgiving tomorrow so I can have the day at home to unpack? I moved in on Saturday, but I was at the condo Sunday and Monday night, last night was our anniversary, so no unpacking (and Nick worked on my wireless modem and setting up the TV). Friday Iím babysitting the boys all day since both parents are working. I would love to have Thursday to get my place in order!

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So Nickís kids are sick. Is it wrong for me to hope that theyíre too sick to go to Thanksgiving tomorrow so I can have the day at home to unpack? I moved in on Saturday, but I was at the condo Sunday and Monday night, last night was our anniversary, so no unpacking (and Nick worked on my wireless modem and setting up the TV). Friday Iím babysitting the boys all day since both parents are working. I would love to have Thursday to get my place in order!
No, you're just being human.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're just being human.
Whew. I feel better now.:)

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Just call it the I-80 Corridor and be done with it.

Jss- how do you figure that will change academic opportunities?
I don't think the academic opportunities will change so much as improve. Rutgers is a research university. They now have an official association with other top tier AAU schools.

Because of the way the athletic programs (football in particular) are set up, money is brought in to the schools (tv deals, bowl games) instead of being taken from the students in student fees or borrowed in the form of bonds. That's money that is not taken away from the academic programs.

The biggest problem that Rutgers has had over the years is not being able to keep homegrown talent in state. Maybe now we will be able to do that if people see our University as a big league school.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So Nick’s kids are sick. Is it wrong for me to hope that they’re too sick to go to Thanksgiving tomorrow so I can have the day at home to unpack? I moved in on Saturday, but I was at the condo Sunday and Monday night, last night was our anniversary, so no unpacking (and Nick worked on my wireless modem and setting up the TV). Friday I’m babysitting the boys all day since both parents are working. I would love to have Thursday to get my place in order!
Is Thanksgiving contingent on the kids being there?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

I am going to have a bottle of wine and get a massage tonight. Great way to start the holiday!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

The only good thing about this cooler weather is that my entire back porch and garage become refridgerators. Cold hard cider anyone?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
http://wtvr.com/2012/11/20/pic ture-taken-at-tomb-of-unknown- solider-causes-viral-internet- outrage/
Thoughts?
WTF is this chick's problem? is the first thought that comes to mind. Even if you're an anti-war protester, you should realize the difference between peaceful demonstration and blatant disrespect.

I don't think her company would be out of line to fire her, as she was in DC on a business trip when this happened. And she was dumb enough to put in on Facebook to boot.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Thanksgiving contingent on the kids being there?
I don't know what that means.

Also: I just found out today that Rutgers is the state university of New Jersey. I thought it was private catholic university!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Also: You can be disrespectful and still be funny. But this wasn't even FUNNY. Zero value to her actions.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

First off, it only appears that she is yelling, so no matter what her face looks like, there is no evidence that she is actually disrespecting the wishes posted

Secondly, those soldiers died to protect her right to act in such a manner, and I think firing her over this is a bigger disrespect to them.
Matilda77 wrote:
http://wtvr.com/2012/11/20/pic ture-taken-at-tomb-of-unknown- solider-causes-viral-internet- outrage/
Thoughts?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RACE wrote:
First off, it only appears that she is yelling, so no matter what her face looks like, there is no evidence that she is actually disrespecting the wishes posted
Secondly, those soldiers died to protect her right to act in such a manner, and I think firing her over this is a bigger disrespect to them.
<quoted text>
SHe's pretending to yell/scream. She's also flipping the bird.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Race, in a way, I agree with you. Because those guys died so she can say/do those things. But BECAUSE those guys died so she can say/do those things, to me, is exactly why she shouldn't.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
The only good thing about this cooler weather is that my entire back porch and garage become refridgerators. Cold hard cider anyone?
Me. I prefer hard cider to grain based "beers"

If you like that, there is a Cider Fest in Chicago in early Feb where n apple trade group has 60 ciders to taste. I bought tickets from the Reader Real Deal and expect they might still be discounted somewhere

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So Nick’s kids are sick. Is it wrong for me to hope that they’re too sick to go to Thanksgiving tomorrow so I can have the day at home to unpack? I moved in on Saturday, but I was at the condo Sunday and Monday night, last night was our anniversary, so no unpacking (and Nick worked on my wireless modem and setting up the TV). Friday I’m babysitting the boys all day since both parents are working. I would love to have Thursday to get my place in order!
So if the kids are sick, then Nick doesn't get to go anywhere for Thanksgiving either? I grew up not going out for Thanksgiving - my mom made dinner and we ate at home. We didn't have extended family around so even if we were sick, at the least there was a small version of a holiday dinner. That's why I don't quite understand.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 75,141 - 75,160 of96,068
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

68 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 min well 47,030
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Justice Dale 167,477
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min sonicfilter 1,033,121
Music Artists A to Z 1 hr Velvet MJK 89
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 1 hr Velvet MJK 1,019
Abby 4-17 1 hr Kuuipo 29
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr Eric 65,059
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs