“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#76174 Nov 22, 2012
Toj wrote:
There's right to both sides.
I agree. You should have every right to go to a loved-one's funeral and not be harassed. There are limits to free speech, you can't say you're GONNA KILL THE PRESIDENT or yell fire in a crowded theater.

Thanks for posting pelly! Happy Thanksgiving! I'm making a dish. I've never made it before and I'm altering and getting creative with the recipe. Should be interesting!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#76175 Nov 22, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. You should have every right to go to a loved-one's funeral and not be harassed. There are limits to free speech, you can't say you're GONNA KILL THE PRESIDENT or yell fire in a crowded theater.
Thanks for posting pelly! Happy Thanksgiving! I'm making a dish. I've never made it before and I'm altering and getting creative with the recipe. Should be interesting!
You'll have to let us know what it is and how it turned out. Okay -- I'm going to get cooking myself! Best to you and yours.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#76176 Nov 22, 2012
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Lotsa prep work done on veggies and side dishes. I have a small turkey so I will put it in in a little while, plus I'm doing a prime rib roast and a leg of lamb. <sigh> *I* am almost a vegetarian, but these people eat a lot of meat. <shrug>

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76177 Nov 22, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Roasted Brussels Sprouts tossed with salt pepper and garlic, wine and the makings of Mimosa's are my assigned tasks.

My husband made 2 pumpkin pies, one with a gluten free crust so my BIL can have it.

My SIL the hostess is into portion control, so we also got a small turkey because she will not give out leftovers.

Family drama started Tuesday night and is moving into pre-game warm ups. Sigh

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#76178 Nov 22, 2012
i'm in that odd state of suspended animation... everything is started, but it's too early to put on the oven. mashed potatoes are done, sweet potatoes are ready for roasting. made teh creamed spinach last night.

we're skyping with my brother's family in a bit, time to remind the kids of who we are again. pre-game after taht (plenty of adult beverages on ice), and dropping the puck on family festivites at 3... still haven't heard for sure if gramma's getting sprung for dinner or not. not my job, so i'm trying not to care.

may everyone;s holiday be what they want it to be!

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#76179 Nov 22, 2012
My BIL lives for ND football (travels out there at least once a year for a game with his buddies, whether or not the timing is convenient for his wife and son). I dressed my 4 year old in a USC tshirt under his cardigan (USC is the only team that ND has left to play this year. ND is currently undefeated and ranked #1). My husband and I still hate our BIL.

Let the Thanksgiving festivities begin!

Boynton Beach, FL

#76180 Nov 22, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
My BIL lives for ND football (travels out there at least once a year for a game with his buddies, whether or not the timing is convenient for his wife and son). I dressed my 4 year old in a USC tshirt under his cardigan (USC is the only team that ND has left to play this year. ND is currently undefeated and ranked #1). My husband and I still hate our BIL.
Let the Thanksgiving festivities begin!
Go Trojans!
:)

I don't want to see ND get into the big dance. I think they've been overrated all season.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#76181 Nov 22, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
i'm in that odd state of suspended animation... everything is started, but it's too early to put on the oven. mashed potatoes are done, sweet potatoes are ready for roasting. made teh creamed spinach last night.
we're skyping with my brother's family in a bit, time to remind the kids of who we are again. pre-game after taht (plenty of adult beverages on ice), and dropping the puck on family festivites at 3... still haven't heard for sure if gramma's getting sprung for dinner or not. not my job, so i'm trying not to care.
may everyone;s holiday be what they want it to be!
Wanna switch families this afternoon?

My father is getting a pass from his nursing home to come to Bro's house. My mom has suddenly developed a 100 degree fever and can't make it. My SIL and her sister are not talking to each other but she and her family will be there anyway.

The Brussels Sprouts are very good; I might bring some pomegranate molasses to drizzle over them.

Husband is making more pumpkin pies but did not put a drip pan underneath so we have been trying to fend off triggering the smoke alarm which would automatically call the fire department, and...

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#76182 Nov 22, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
i'm in that odd state of suspended animation... everything is started, but it's too early to put on the oven.
Me too mostly. I have the prime rib cooked, and I'm cooking the lamb now. I think I'm waiting a few more hours on Milo (Turkey's name this year) as he is pretty small.

Mashed potatoes are ready to start cooking but it's still too early and I have the sweet potato gratin ready to go in. GB casserole (yuk) is all done and I made stuffing (or is it dressing) last night. I never put it inside the bird so it's on its own.

I bought instead of made cranberry sauce this year. It was Chris' favorite part of the meal and I just haven't wanted to go through all the work to make it since he died. <shrug>

The husband is here sleeping in my room, niece is at work but her daughter is in the other bedroom sleeping and Becca (Chris' GF, for those of you on FB with me, she's the "Rebecca" who posts on my thing from time to time) sleeping on the couch. I am hiding in a corner surreptitiously surfing the web and trying to be quiet. They have another hour then it's rise and shine. <shrug again> Nephew will be here later.
Union Maid

Oakland, CA

#76183 Nov 22, 2012
Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#76184 Nov 22, 2012
Union Maid wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
And the same back to you.

Are you retired yet?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#76185 Nov 22, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to let us know what it is and how it turned out. Okay -- I'm going to get cooking myself! Best to you and yours.
Thanks, same to you!

I made broccoli and cauliflower gratin. I used miracle whip instead of mayo, didn't add onions or red pepper but added bacon bits, and instead of italian-seasoned breadcrumbs, I used crushed up WalMart brand cheese snacks (they're delicious!) I didn't think it was as great as I had hoped, but everyone seemed to like it.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#76186 Nov 22, 2012
Happy Thanksgiving Regs!

We had a very excellent meal considering it was all store-bought, pre-made stuff from Publix or from a can. My mom is real good at doctoring. I barely had to do a thing; I took the kids to the pool for most of the day while she got the food prepped. Step-bro and his fam traveled a whole 3 floors up and we all squished around the table. It was surprisingly nice.

And Nunu discovered that she likes pumpkin pie.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76187 Nov 22, 2012
Mimi I have the Birkenstocks. Size 38. Two straps over the foot, and an ankle strap. Worn twice and never outside. The treads are mint. Want em? MSG me here or at fb with an address and I'll ship them to you next week.

Location hidden

#76188 Nov 22, 2012
Color: chocolate brown.

Boynton Beach, FL

#76189 Nov 22, 2012
Thanksgiving dinner was SO good (we went out).
Traditional meal, wine, brownie sundae for dessert. It's chilly out and feels good, adds to the holiday ambience.

Location hidden

#76190 Nov 22, 2012
It snowed tonight!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#76191 Nov 22, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
It snowed tonight!
Did you get your day off to unpack?

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#76192 Nov 23, 2012
It sounds like people had a good time yesterday!

We had a great day. It was Ry's 7th birthday, so the morning was all about opening presents and talking to relatives on the phone.

We always go to my husband's aunt and uncle's house for Thanksgiving dinner. My nephew fell asleep in the car on the way there and stayed asleep for most of the afternoon. My boys were very well behaved until he woke up and started egging E on (even our cousins commented on that).

My SIL brought a portable DVD player and asked E which movie he would like to watch - Toy Story, Mickey Mouse Christmas or Spider-Man. E said Spider-Man and 10 minutes into it asked me to change it because she had put in the live action one with Tobey Maguire and Willem Dafoe. I must have made a face because my BIL asked me if he was a bad parent because he let his 3 year old watch that movie. He then told us all about how his son beats the crap out of people like he is a power ranger or super hero. Well, duh!

We actually had a really nice dinner and Ry had a great birthday. My husband is now at the mall while I am hanging out with the boys. I'll go online later.

Location hidden

#76193 Nov 23, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Did you get your day off to unpack?
Nope. I've been using what time I do have to do it. But the place is still a mess. Kitchen is mostly put away though. I have *a lot* of kitchen stuff. Cupboards and cabinets are full, and there's no food at all in them (I have a walk-in pantry!).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 10 min KiMare 51,235
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min RealDave 1,141,389
EverGreen Belgrade 43 min Albonazis 2
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 54 min esther veronica 48,367
Hello hook up fast its here again 1 hr Stephensamson 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr wojar 180,604
Who were the biggest White Gangs? (Apr '10) 7 hr new some 41
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Predictions for Bears' Week 12 Matchup
NBC Sports 7:46 AM
Jay Cutler wants to keep on rolling (out)
NBC Sports11:16 AM
Colts rule out Dwayne Allen and Gosder Cherilus
NBC Sports12:50 PM
Rob Gronkowski fined $8,268 for bouncer move
NFL 1:30 PM
Colt McCoy 'pushing' Robert Griffin III, Gruden says