Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
I don't understand how more people don't know of the school. It is huge. When I went there the main campus had 40,000 students.
That's smaller than UW-Madison, U of Minnesota, etc., so it's not that big to me (it's big, but I grew up in the Midwest, where the state schools seem to be big because they have to serve a large population base (covering a larger area than the more heavily densely populated areas would serve, I think).

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Not to pick on your beloved alma mater, but I think if they were more of a power house in sports, they'd get more attention. Isn't that true of so many colleges/universities? Who heard of Gonzaga before 10 years ago? Then they got themselves an awesome basketball team and now they're on more people's radar.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Not to pick on your beloved alma mater, but I think if they were more of a power house in sports, they'd get more attention. Isn't that true of so many colleges/universities? Who heard of Gonzaga before 10 years ago? Then they got themselves an awesome basketball team and now they're on more people's radar.
sports is where it's at for attention... does anyone realize that Notre Dame is NOT the largest Catholic university in the US?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Google is my friend! DePaul!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My alma mater for grad school. The last fundraiser I attended they had upwards of 37,000 students.

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Yup! ;-) and im a proud "Double Demon"! One of DePaul's missions is to help educate first generation and immigrant students. There are a lot of programs, include adult programs, so it doesn't seem to be the size it really is when you're on campus.

Oh, and there are 2 main campuses, too.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
It also has a lot to do with branding. Princeton and Harvard aren't sports powerhouses, but people know them. Stanford? William & Mary?

Rutgers is comprised of a bunch of small colleges that traditionally have wanted to keep their own identities instead of being part of a bigger university. My husband still tells people that he graduated from Cook College (the Ag school) instead of RU. Maybe that will change now that it's a Big 10 school.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
It also has a lot to do with branding. Princeton and Harvard aren't sports powerhouses, but people know them. Stanford? William & Mary?
Rutgers is comprised of a bunch of small colleges that traditionally have wanted to keep their own identities instead of being part of a bigger university. My husband still tells people that he graduated from Cook College (the Ag school) instead of RU. Maybe that will change now that it's a Big 10 school.
Why does he dislike RU so much?

I think of it as an esteemed school, honestly. I don't know if it's Ivy League, but I think of it as being an excellent school. I don't know anything, that's just the impression I've had all these years.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

I agree that she shouldn't, but It is her "right".
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Race, in a way, I agree with you. Because those guys died so she can say/do those things. But BECAUSE those guys died so she can say/do those things, to me, is exactly why she shouldn't.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup! ;-) and im a proud "Double Demon"! One of DePaul's missions is to help educate first generation and immigrant students. There are a lot of programs, include adult programs, so it doesn't seem to be the size it really is when you're on campus.
Oh, and there are 2 main campuses, too.
And back in the day of Ray Meyers we were a basketball powerhouse, too. Many fond arguments with my brother who was at Kentucky when I was at DePaul in mid-70's

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Random thought.

Before Dickens wrote A christmas Carol, what did they call "Scrooges"?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RACE wrote:
I agree that she shouldn't, but It is her "right".
<quoted text>
I agree.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RACE wrote:
Random thought.
curmudgeon

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RACE wrote:
Random thought.
miser

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RACE wrote:
Secondly, those soldiers died to protect her right to act in such a manner, and I think firing her over this is a bigger disrespect to them.
<quoted text>
I see your point, but I think her "right" is to not be arrested or anything. It's not her "right" to stay employed after acting the fool.

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Jess, in high school I had a friend whose dad was (possibly still is) a professor at Rutgers. Her family was constantly dealing with people saying "he teaches WHERE?" and that was *in* NJ. I find it strange too that it's unfamiliar to so many people.

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Note to self: don't go to Total Wine on the afternoon before Thanksgiving. What a zoo! And that was just the parking lot. The cashier who rang me up was either senile or just over it for the day, it took forever. But I'm fully restocked and happy. Originally, my plan was to drink all my inventory before moving so I wouldn't have to, yanno, move it. But then I realized that I'm moving significantly farther from the store (it's only a few minutes away now, very easy to just pop over) and it will be nice to have a few bottles on hand right away before planning a shopping trip.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
That is all so sad. Why is it that a university cannot just be a fine place to learn?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
So you two also must agree that the Hillsbro church or whatever it's called should be able to protest military funerals and scream at grieving family members?

I just don't understand WHY people would so blatantly disrespect the very people who allowed them that freedom? Is it just to be a rebel? How pathetic and empty must their lives be to show such hatred for the most respected members of our society just because they can?

If I was her employer I would have proudly fired her immediately. If she would so contemptuously disrespect people that gave their lives for us, imagine how disrespectful she must be to her bosses.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

No, but her personal life should not be a factor in her employment. But I do see an employers view that she is the "face" of the company, and has a certain obligation. I only say this though because she was on the company dime.
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I see your point, but I think her "right" is to not be arrested or anything. It's not her "right" to stay employed after acting the fool.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,096,530
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 19 min gcaveman1 46,242
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 42 min Dale 176,840
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 1 hr _Zoey_ 7,738
Pics of Sharpton as a baby 1 hr Hey Coons 1
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 1 hr _Zoey_ 290
I'm RIGHT! USAs IQ average is down. I said it 1... 2 hr Stooopid Americans 1
Amy 8-22 3 hr Kuuipo 12

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:15AM CDT

•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters