Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76146 Nov 21, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
It also has a lot to do with branding. Princeton and Harvard aren't sports powerhouses, but people know them. Stanford? William & Mary?
Rutgers is comprised of a bunch of small colleges that traditionally have wanted to keep their own identities instead of being part of a bigger university. My husband still tells people that he graduated from Cook College (the Ag school) instead of RU. Maybe that will change now that it's a Big 10 school.
Why does he dislike RU so much?

I think of it as an esteemed school, honestly. I don't know if it's Ivy League, but I think of it as being an excellent school. I don't know anything, that's just the impression I've had all these years.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#76147 Nov 21, 2012
I agree that she shouldn't, but It is her "right".
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Race, in a way, I agree with you. Because those guys died so she can say/do those things. But BECAUSE those guys died so she can say/do those things, to me, is exactly why she shouldn't.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76148 Nov 21, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup! ;-) and im a proud "Double Demon"! One of DePaul's missions is to help educate first generation and immigrant students. There are a lot of programs, include adult programs, so it doesn't seem to be the size it really is when you're on campus.
Oh, and there are 2 main campuses, too.
And back in the day of Ray Meyers we were a basketball powerhouse, too. Many fond arguments with my brother who was at Kentucky when I was at DePaul in mid-70's

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#76149 Nov 21, 2012
Random thought.

Before Dickens wrote A christmas Carol, what did they call "Scrooges"?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#76150 Nov 21, 2012
RACE wrote:
I agree that she shouldn't, but It is her "right".
<quoted text>
I agree.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76151 Nov 21, 2012
RACE wrote:
Random thought.
Before Dickens wrote A christmas Carol, what did they call "Scrooges"?
curmudgeon

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76152 Nov 21, 2012
RACE wrote:
Random thought.
Before Dickens wrote A christmas Carol, what did they call "Scrooges"?
miser

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76153 Nov 21, 2012
RACE wrote:
Secondly, those soldiers died to protect her right to act in such a manner, and I think firing her over this is a bigger disrespect to them.
<quoted text>
I see your point, but I think her "right" is to not be arrested or anything. It's not her "right" to stay employed after acting the fool.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76154 Nov 21, 2012
Jess, in high school I had a friend whose dad was (possibly still is) a professor at Rutgers. Her family was constantly dealing with people saying "he teaches WHERE?" and that was *in* NJ. I find it strange too that it's unfamiliar to so many people.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76155 Nov 21, 2012
Note to self: don't go to Total Wine on the afternoon before Thanksgiving. What a zoo! And that was just the parking lot. The cashier who rang me up was either senile or just over it for the day, it took forever. But I'm fully restocked and happy. Originally, my plan was to drink all my inventory before moving so I wouldn't have to, yanno, move it. But then I realized that I'm moving significantly farther from the store (it's only a few minutes away now, very easy to just pop over) and it will be nice to have a few bottles on hand right away before planning a shopping trip.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#76156 Nov 21, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Not to pick on your beloved alma mater, but I think if they were more of a power house in sports, they'd get more attention. Isn't that true of so many colleges/universities? Who heard of Gonzaga before 10 years ago? Then they got themselves an awesome basketball team and now they're on more people's radar.
That is all so sad. Why is it that a university cannot just be a fine place to learn?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#76157 Nov 21, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
So you two also must agree that the Hillsbro church or whatever it's called should be able to protest military funerals and scream at grieving family members?

I just don't understand WHY people would so blatantly disrespect the very people who allowed them that freedom? Is it just to be a rebel? How pathetic and empty must their lives be to show such hatred for the most respected members of our society just because they can?

If I was her employer I would have proudly fired her immediately. If she would so contemptuously disrespect people that gave their lives for us, imagine how disrespectful she must be to her bosses.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#76158 Nov 21, 2012
No, but her personal life should not be a factor in her employment. But I do see an employers view that she is the "face" of the company, and has a certain obligation. I only say this though because she was on the company dime.
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I see your point, but I think her "right" is to not be arrested or anything. It's not her "right" to stay employed after acting the fool.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#76159 Nov 21, 2012
Think mutt think.

Yes they should be able to, freedom to peaceably assemble is guaranteed. It is also my right to stand in their way, which is what I would gladly do. They have the right to act like animals, and I have the duty to not club them into a coma. I also have the privilege of acting as a barrier between grief and insanity.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So you two also must agree that the Hillsbro church or whatever it's called should be able to protest military funerals and scream at grieving family members?
I just don't understand WHY people would so blatantly disrespect the very people who allowed them that freedom? Is it just to be a rebel? How pathetic and empty must their lives be to show such hatred for the most respected members of our society just because they can?
If I was her employer I would have proudly fired her immediately. If she would so contemptuously disrespect people that gave their lives for us, imagine how disrespectful she must be to her bosses.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#76160 Nov 21, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
Note to self: don't go to Total Wine on the afternoon before Thanksgiving. What a zoo! And that was just the parking lot. The cashier who rang me up was either senile or just over it for the day, it took forever. But I'm fully restocked and happy. Originally, my plan was to drink all my inventory before moving so I wouldn't have to, yanno, move it. But then I realized that I'm moving significantly farther from the store (it's only a few minutes away now, very easy to just pop over) and it will be nice to have a few bottles on hand right away before planning a shopping trip.
We've felt pretty "timeless" since we've been on vacation, so when we stopped at Publix on the way home from the Magic Kingdom tonight, we were shocked at how crowded it was. It took us a few minutes to realize it was the night before Thanksgiving.
<facepalm>

We went today with my step-bro and his family today so we were able to do a few more things today. My SIL doesn't really like rides, so she went and got us fast passes to the next ride on our list. Totally cool; we owe her a couple of beers.

My dad took me to Disney when I was about 7 and I totally chickened out on going on Space Mountain, so today that was the first thing we did. I couldn't believe how much fun it was. Very glad that I pissed off the children to go on it, since they had to stay with grandma while Dickie and I went on it.

And Lulu went with us on her first "big" rollercoaster, Big Thunder Mountain, and she LOVED it. We thought that she'd be scared, but she had a blast. Poor Nunu cried just about the whole time we were gone; she was just a little too short to go with us.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#76161 Nov 21, 2012
RACE wrote:
No, but her personal life should not be a factor in her employment.
Yes it should. A person's personal life is a ponderous instrumentality of their character. And their character is a prominent acumen of what kind of employee they are. There's a reason some companies don't hire felons. There's a reason some companies have drug tests.

There's a story I heard a couple weeks ago about a teacher getting fired for making a porno. Was she wrong to be fired or is THAT the kind of role model you want for your children?

Is it wrong to fire your employee for screaming at and giving the finger to dead soldiers, or is THAT the woman you want propagandizing your company?

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#76162 Nov 21, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> And back in the day of Ray Meyers we were a basketball powerhouse, too. Many fond arguments with my brother who was at Kentucky when I was at DePaul in mid-70's
i was an undergrad during the joey meyer era. the men's team was losing their conference games but winning all the non-conference games. i only ever made it to one game.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#76164 Nov 22, 2012
Happy Thanksgiving, Regs!:)

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#76165 Nov 22, 2012
Happy Thanksgiving All! Wishing you all the best and looking forward to hearing your stories!
Sweet Potato Queen

Highland Park, IL

#76166 Nov 22, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,264,913
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Dr Guru MD CEO CF... 194,790
abby8-4-15 31 min abby 10
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr forgotten memories 6,263
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr CDC 52,074
amy 8-4 3 hr blunt advice 4
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 4 hr boundary painter 1,199
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages