|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, we are absolutely thrilled. Aside from her whole roommate snafu the first couple weeks, it's going better than we imagined it would.
I'm so glad college is going well for SIL! It sounds like she's made leaps and bounds worth of progress in maturing, and I'm glad she has a sweet boyfriend. I'm sure you and J are beyond relieved.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
No, it's not cultural. he's just a messed up guy dragging Jmw's friend down to his level.
I'm DYING to know what he has said to A about me and C now that he's met us.

I don't remember if I told you guys this, but not too long ago I noticed that A has made more negative remarks about her roommate lately and it seems to have coincided with her starting to date this guy (he met the roommate early on, obviously). I think he's probably in her head about her roommate because she's a friend, and I would be surprised if he doesn't have a few negative things to say about me and C also. C and her fiance are SO SWEET so it's practically impossible to imagine, but this guy will find a way....

Cattily, I wanted to wear heels to make myself taller than him last night but it was chilly so I wore boots. Not to worry, I was still taller than him. ;)

I texted my friend L this morning that we won't have to worry about this guy for much longer because he'll freeze to death up north over Thanksgiving. I thought *I* was wimpy about being cold - I've never seen anything like this! He was sitting right under one of those gas heaters on the patio and was hugging himself and looking miserable. And he's a GUY! They're never cold.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

You know, that’s sort of like how it was with nick’s cousin Mary. I was *fine* with Nick’s family, then after two or three family gatherings, I was way more critical of them (even if only in my own head). One night I realized that the problem was Mary, sidling up to me and making catty remarks about Nick’s sister and how Nick’s family does things. It’s like she’s a SIL and I’m a SIL and we’re on the same team. But she’s not a SIL and Nick has a great family. I told him all about it and then let him know that I would be distancing myself from Mary as much as possible, because I didn’t need her negative attitude about his family. He was surprised she was so catty and mean, but other things have since happened with her that we’re both writing her off as someone we don’t like and don’t plan to interact much with.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Does anyone here plan to buy christmas gifts for their pets? I got some cat toys for Rose, from Etsy, today, and I have a package of 20 more coming this week. I got a ton of toy mice from under/behind furniture this weekend, so she's set. So I think i"ll actually wrap the new ones loosely in wrapping paper and see if they can have some fun getting the toys out.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

jmw: I think he's a controller big time. A normal guy WANTS to meet his girlfriend's friends (not too soon, of course). but he seems to be avoiding it on purpose, which means he has something to hide.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

One way Carolyn Hax has gone with this issue is to say to someone, "I don't like the person you are when you're with him."

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Does anyone here plan to buy christmas gifts for their pets? I got some cat toys for Rose, from Etsy, today, and I have a package of 20 more coming this week. I got a ton of toy mice from under/behind furniture this weekend, so she's set. So I think i"ll actually wrap the new ones loosely in wrapping paper and see if they can have some fun getting the toys out.
Le puppies are overdue for new collars. And we usually get them something to unwrap and chew. J always gets the dog-in-laws a big box of Milkbones.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Le puppies are overdue for new collars. And we usually get them something to unwrap and chew. J always gets the dog-in-laws a big box of Milkbones.
puppies in law? ;-)

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Doghound gets hot dogs or some other meaty treat, cats get real tuna. I spread out a handful or two of catnip for them to get high on. If I time it right, we get to eat in peace.
Dog doesn't play, never learned as a puppy and we haven't been able to teach him. He'll chase something if he likes it, but won't bring it back, and doesn't like to keep going after it. We got him toys and chews the first few years, but gave up, he wasn't interested.
Cats prefer either milk jug rings, or zip ties to play with. We've bought cat toys too, but they prefer what they consider "natural" prey, or chasing a laser light.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Hi All!

This t-shirt made me laugh and think of some of the people on here (have to check out the link soon, though, because it will change after all the shirts are sold out)

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/online-debate-te...

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Matilda - So glad to hear that college is bringing out the best in your SIL! I know that was a big worry for you and J.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

JMW - it doesn't sound like any of your fears were allayed by meeting A's boyfriend. It is hard to stand by while someone you care about makes decisions that you don't agree with, but it is more important than ever that you make sure she knows you are her friend and you are available if ever she needs you, without putting pressure on her.

As long as they do not seem to be in immediate danger, we still have to respect other adults' rights to make stupid decisions.

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
JMW - it doesn't sound like any of your fears were allayed by meeting A's boyfriend. It is hard to stand by while someone you care about makes decisions that you don't agree with, but it is more important than ever that you make sure she knows you are her friend and you are available if ever she needs you, without putting pressure on her.
As long as they do not seem to be in immediate danger, we still have to respect other adults' rights to make stupid decisions.
You're right. I just need to keep an eye and ear out for danger and just be there for her to talk to, etc. in the meantime.

Jasper kind of called me out on gossiping and being negative about all this stuff yesterday (I've told him everything I've told you guys), and he has a point. Of course, I'm not talking about it with the intention of gossiping but that's kind of the end result either way, I guess. Plus he really doesn't want to hear every repetitive detail anymore since he'll be working with A as of next Monday.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. I just need to keep an eye and ear out for danger and just be there for her to talk to, etc. in the meantime.
Jasper kind of called me out on gossiping and being negative about all this stuff yesterday (I've told him everything I've told you guys), and he has a point. Of course, I'm not talking about it with the intention of gossiping but that's kind of the end result either way, I guess. Plus he really doesn't want to hear every repetitive detail anymore since he'll be working with A as of next Monday.
Vent away to us (even when I'm not commenting, I'm stopping by to read). It sucks to feel helpless.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Nick feels the same way about us friends bashing Dillian. He doesn't understand why we care enough to spend the time bashing.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Nick feels the same way about us friends bashing Dillian. He doesn't understand why we care enough to spend the time bashing.
It's just fun knowing you're better than someone! ;-P

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Vent away to us (even when I'm not commenting, I'm stopping by to read). It sucks to feel helpless.
Thanks! Yeah, you guys don't count. ;) I'll just stop venting to HIM, unless I need his actual help with something.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just fun knowing you're better than someone! ;-P
The latest dillian gripe from us:“You’re too poor to pay for alcohol for your wedding but you posted pictures on FB of the engraved cake forks you got each other to eat your wedding cake with?”

(Plus pics of the new car they bought three days before the wedding, and pics of all the extra stuff they did in Hawaii, and now pics of the new king-size bed they got with the money from wedding gifts -- FB shout-out was their TY note.)

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Go Bears! This is going to be a dicey game with Cutler out. Hope the defense and special teams really shine tonight!

I hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking SF is going to crush them. Cringe. I want the Bears to win, but I'm preparing myself for the worse.

You'll probably all hear me from where you are, screaming at the screen. It's okay -- that's just how I watch football.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min COULD BE THE DEVIL 1,096,840
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min Dale 176,925
Amy 8-23-14 54 min Pippa 11
Abby 8-23-14 1 hr Pippa 6
10 shot, including 3-year-old, across city 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr texas pete 4,644
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr whatitis 3,914

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 23 at 2:26PM CDT

•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••