Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#75824 Nov 9, 2012
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
It's most definitely fear based. It's our innate fear of those who are different from us. Like I said, it goes waaaaayyyyy back in time to when we were simply bands of hunter/gatherers...not even tribes, just very small groups who protected their own and were fearful and suspicious of anyone different. It's never left us, we've just learned, intellectually, to try to ignore it for the most part because by-and-large, we aren't overly worried that someone is going to come along any second and try to kill us off to steal our mastodon. <shrug>
:)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#75825 Nov 9, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
If she called the police, then reporters would see that. Reporters monitor police records daily then use that as story ideas.
Unles they paid her to appear on the news, I don't see any benefit to her to appear on tv illustrating what a dumbass she is to the whole community.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#75826 Nov 9, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
HAPPY FREAKIN' FRIDAY!!!!! And payday!
Not my payday. Hand some over -- share the wealth.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#75827 Nov 9, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't he running unopposed?
No. But he might as well have. If he ran in any other district he probably would not have been reelected.

Power in Chicago is a perceived thing. If your rep has power then maybe he/she can bring things into your district. That's probably what was in people's head. I dunno.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#75828 Nov 9, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
No. There was a republican and an independent on the ballot for his seat.
We (ok, not me personally) also elected for the state house someone who had already been kicked out the house for bribe-taking. He had already won the primary, so he couldn't be taken off the ballot. The democrates ran an "independent" to try and unseat him, but he was a loser too.
But at least those people are actually living. I read yesterday that in Alabama and one other state, they elected dead people.
So are they going to get mediums to channel them during sessions?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#75829 Nov 9, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
So are they going to get mediums to channel them during sessions?
The story didn't say how that would be resolved. They were for county posts so I don't think government will come to a screeching halt without them.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#75830 Nov 9, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
The Jesse Jackson family should be ashamed for sucking at the public teat.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-jesse-jack...
If he kept the job for the benefits, he wouldn't be the first person to do so.

If he quit, his wife could get benefits as a Chicago alderman and put him on her plan.

On the whole, I would rather he suck at the Federal teat; it is better able to absorb his costs.

I only wish all the street people I see downtown who are clearly biploar could get inpatienet care at Mayo Clinic for months.

You are right though, the family should be ashamed of him. Did you see that one of teh charges is that he is facing is spending $14,000 for a watch for his girlfriend using campaign funds.

Like him or hate him Jackson Sr has spent years advancing blacks' place in society. Jackson Jr is reinforcing a negative stereotyp for me and menatl illness does not let him off teh hook for character defects. Sad.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#75831 Nov 9, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't he running unopposed?
No. There was even a write in candidate besides the Republican and the Independent.

Not a word I would often use, but Sheeple in that District

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#75832 Nov 9, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
If he kept the job for the benefits, he wouldn't be the first person to do so.
If he quit, his wife could get benefits as a Chicago alderman and put him on her plan.
On the whole, I would rather he suck at the Federal teat; it is better able to absorb his costs.
I only wish all the street people I see downtown who are clearly biploar could get inpatienet care at Mayo Clinic for months.
You are right though, the family should be ashamed of him. Did you see that one of teh charges is that he is facing is spending $14,000 for a watch for his girlfriend using campaign funds.
Like him or hate him Jackson Sr has spent years advancing blacks' place in society. Jackson Jr is reinforcing a negative stereotyp for me and menatl illness does not let him off teh hook for character defects. Sad.
My mother has a theory that when either 1) he's declared incompetent to serve or 2) they find him guilty of misconduct, Quinn will then appoint his wife to serve out his term.

It all seems so sketchy to me.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#75833 Nov 9, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Unles they paid her to appear on the news, I don't see any benefit to her to appear on tv illustrating what a dumbass she is to the whole community.
There are lots of people who just want to be on TV.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#75834 Nov 9, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
This is probably a loaded question, but yes.
Just because I am Republican, does not mean I am a radical right-winger. I understand that you liberals are unable to see a difference.
That's why your response to every opinion with which you disagree is to label the person a liberal?
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#75835 Nov 9, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
When the stock market was down when Bush was in office, it was because of his policies.
When the stock market is down with Obama in office, it's because of Europe. I see.
Do people have to have a large portion of their brain removed to become a liberal? Or are you people just born that way?
Depends on the time frame, but that's the point. The reason for a day versus the reason for months or years can be different. The last year-and-a-half Bush was in office, the market lost nearly half its value. Not sure how you blame Clinton since he hadn't been in office for 6.5 years. Since Obama took office, the market has regained about 85% of what it lost under Bush. If you'd like to tell me how Bush gets credit for that turn-around instead of Obama despite the fact that it miraculously coincided with him leaving office, I am happy to listen.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#75836 Nov 9, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Unles they paid her to appear on the news, I don't see any benefit to her to appear on tv illustrating what a dumbass she is to the whole community.
ITA.

Location hidden

#75837 Nov 9, 2012
PEllen wrote:
ITA.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#75838 Nov 9, 2012
For anyone who is in Key West on Nov 13

http://www.keywestisjerseystrong.org/

Location hidden

#75839 Nov 9, 2012
Vegetarian eaters: My coworker made black bean pancakes with salsa on top and said they were out of this world:

2 cups drained,cooked beans *mash in bowl with fork

then stir in
1 cup dairy (calls for cream, but he used 1% milk)
2 tbs oil or butter
1 egg
seasonings and salt… why not some cheese? screw it….yeah, cheese. HELL YES WE’RE ADDING SOME CHEESE IN HERE! I AM A GOD IN THE KITCHEN AND I REQUIRE CHEESE ALL UP IN THIS B! or not…your call

then mix in until it looks like pancake batter

then add 1 cup flour (add more dairy if too dry)

cook as you would pancakes

Black bean, pinto beans? Add salsa or sour cream as a topper
White beans (cannellini)? Pesto?
Other beans? Go for it.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#75840 Nov 9, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
My mother has a theory that when either 1) he's declared incompetent to serve or 2) they find him guilty of misconduct, Quinn will then appoint his wife to serve out his term.
It all seems so sketchy to me.
The governor can appoint someone to fill a Senate seat ( see, Blgojevich, f*ckin golden comment). A Congressional Rep seat seems to depend on when it comes vacant- most often there is a special election.

Your MIL may be right. Credible spouses are often put in place of deceased , and presumably disabled, congressman. How it is done is teh question.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#75841 Nov 9, 2012
OMG, I haven't been to Not Always Right in a while. Some of the new ones are over the top!

Location hidden

#75842 Nov 9, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
OMG, I haven't been to Not Always Right in a while. Some of the new ones are over the top!
I go there every single day!

Since: Mar 09

Brooklyn, NY

#75843 Nov 9, 2012
So I was supposed to meet A's boyfriend this weekend. I planned around it and left Saturday free (long story short) and after my crappy day yesterday I emailed her and half-jokingly Sadi that I better get to meet him after all that. She wrote back and said she must have forgotten to tell me but they switched weekends. I am so pissed; I planned around this because my friend A is important to me. Obviously when it's an SO things are different but still... I feel like all the stuff I did & didn't do to make myself available don't matter. And that's not true; indirectly it has cost me money, time, and my Saturday night plans. No more - if it works out it works out but I'm not planning around her boyfriend ever again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min John Galt 1,115,587
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 36 min Who 47,067
Minimum Wage and Unemployment Model 1 hr Goh 1
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Top of the Heap 4,054
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr KiMerde 50,063
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr WelbyMD 178,617
Group of thieves hit Bentley Gold Coast store 4 hr Go Blue Forever 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]